• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiant Silvergun |OT| Ikaruga's Spiritual Predecessor

SOME-MIST

LiK said:
A RS stick would be nice but also uber expensive.
when it was originally announced, it was for 13,500 YEN (at that time $160), which I believe was about the same or 10 bucks more than the SF4 TE stick. I still would have paid that for it being that I primarily game on my 360 with a stick anyways

LiK

SOME-MIST said:
when it was originally announced, it was for 13,500 YEN (at that time $160), which I believe was about the same or 10 bucks more than the SF4 TE stick. I still would have paid that for it being that I primarily game on my 360 with a stick anyways
Oh shit, really? I was expecting those higher prices that the CAVE sticks typically go for.

SOME-MIST said:
Yes, but switching from a pad to arcade stick is essentially relearning how to play the entire game again. Tho in the end, you'll benefit from all the effort spent. I learned this lesson twice. Once with psyvariar 2 on dreamcast - switching from dpad to stick, and then a 2nd time when I bought myself Futari without having had a stick for 360. Tho the 2nd time around it was much easier to adjust.

that's why I tend to recommend a seimitsu stick. It has less deadzone than most sanwa's and the tighter spring allows for more precise movements, as opposed to the buttery feeling motion of a sanwa - which is perfect for fighting games. To be honest, I wish they were still going to make the hori real arcade pro ex-se radiant silvergun edition, because I probably would have went out and bought another stick. http://www.play-asia.com/HORI_Real_...ergun_Design/paOS-13-71-dd-49-en-70-433r.html

hopefully they changed their mind.

Agreed, but if you already use a stick for fighters, it should be easy to go from pad to stick for shooters.

LS-32 is ideal. I use Sanwa with the Akihabarashop mod, it's fairly close to that.

My first decent stick was the Ascii Dreamcast stick. Going from pad to stick for Mars Matrix was an epiphany.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Not really much to say, aside from I can't believe this is actually happening! Big fan of the original, even more than Ikaruga... I love shmups that have actual level/environment design, it's something you don't really get much with the Cave bullet hell games anymore.

depths20XX

Wolfgunblood Garopa said:
All twitch games play better with a stick- it's not possible to be as quick or as accurate with your thumb as you would be using your whole hand.

Eh, it's really just a preference thing. Pad players can be just as strong as long as the pad they use suits them. EX-SE for me though.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
SOME-MIST said:
The versions aren't comparable, as in, if you're competing for score you can't match the gc + dc versions with the 360 version. The only players you can compete with are on the 360 leaderboards because otherwise it would be considered a broken port. The GC + DC versions are nearly identical and actually match the PCB quite well. My GC + DC runs match with the PCB at galloping ghost arcade.
you guys' are telling me you didn't notice any of these issues? I noticed them instantly on my first credit with the 360 version.

Of course, the other theory is that the 360 version is more "finely tuned"... or something like that. Why else would they change enemy placements and all that?

Well, either way, I do need to pick up the DC version at some point. I'm kind of an arcade-accuracy whore and I do love my Naomi ports on the Dreamcast.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
LiK said:
Replace shmups with any other genre...

Like what? First person shooters? At least those change outside of the graphics. Halo is completely different from FEAR, which is completely different from Call of Duty. There's no difference between this game and that Gunwage shit from last year. Which, by the way, wasn't worth $10 because it was like 30 minutes.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The only thing that makes a stick "better" than a (good) pad is the buttons, not the stick. Being able to have multiple digits over multiple buttons so that you have access to all of them instantaneously is the only real advantage that type of control device offers. You can make a good argument that they are better for fighters, but saying the same for shooters is just laughable to me.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to this. Even though I think you'd have to have some form of brain damage to think RSG is a better game than Ikaruga, I'd also say that you have to be an absurdly jaded individual to feel that RSG isn't worth your time or money. Great game, and I'm looking forward to what they've done with the port.

Chacranajxy said:
Like what? First person shooters? At least those change outside of the graphics. Halo is completely different from FEAR, which is completely different from Call of Duty. There's no difference between this game and that Gunwage shit from last year. Which, by the way, wasn't worth $10 because it was like 30 minutes.
Not sure if serious.

There are legitimate gripes about RSG. I make it a point to go out of my way to express some. Saying that it's "too samey" to other shooters is crazy talk though.

LiK

Chacranajxy said:
Guwange doesn't even play the same as RS. Stop generalizing.

Marco1

This is the first I heard this was coming to xbox live.
When was the big announcement about this? Surely there was one and I am kicking myself for not hearing about it.
The best schmup ever made. This news is perfect. Will sit alongside ikaruga on my arcade list.
I just wish they could get the classics such as bubble bobble correct, the timing is all off on it.
Final fight and r-type is how you make a port to the xbox arcade.
Thanks goodness for mame.

woodypop

DECK'ARD said:
RS is more diverse with lots of different strategies you can use, and for me was much more enjoyable as a result.
Pretty much how I feel.

And, man, the music always gets me! I SO can't wait for this.

depths20XX said:
Eh, it's really just a preference thing. Pad players can be just as strong as long as the pad they use suits them. EX-SE for me though.

A stick requires the use of all of your hand muscles and wrist, giving you more control. A pad only uses your thumb.

Sixfortyfive said:
The only thing that makes a stick "better" than a (good) pad is the buttons, not the stick. Being able to have multiple digits over multiple buttons so that you have access to all of them instantaneously is the only real advantage that type of control device offers. You can make a good argument that they are better for fighters, but saying the same for shooters is just laughable to me.

That's crazy. You're actually suggesting that the use of only your thumb offers the same level of precision as the use of your entire hand and wrist.

Sixfortyfive

That's crazy. You're actually suggesting that the use of only your thumb offers the same level of precision as the use of your entire hand and wrist.
I don't appear to have the same motor skill issues you do. I also don't use shitty modern pads, fwiw.

Hitbox > stick anyway, for the same reason stick buttons > pad buttons.

Yeah, stick is much better for shmups, too. Some require to pressing simultaneously multiple buttons at the same time to get the best score (Ketsui for example). Also controlling your ship is by far better with a good stick (Seimitsu). You can place your ship pixel-precise.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
A stick requires the use of all of your hand muscles and wrist, giving you more control. A pad only uses your thumb.

using a pad doesn't require you to use your thumb, I would use my fingers when playing RS on the saturn pad.

Sixfortyfive

levious said:
using a pad doesn't require you to use your thumb, I would use my fingers when playing RS on the saturn pad.
RSG had enough button macros on Saturn to make that issue 100% irrelevant anyway.

Going to be using PS2 Saturn pad on this release.

Sixfortyfive said:
I don't appear to have the same motor skill issues you do. I also don't use shitty modern pads, fwiw.

Hitbox > stick anyway, for the same reason stick buttons > pad buttons.

This isn't arguable. If you prefer a pad for some reason, that's one thing. You have no ground to stand on with the argument that there is no advantage to using a stick over a pad.

Hitboxes... lol. I know there's a lot of people that grew up playing emulators with a keyboard, so hitboxes make sense for them, but there's no good reason to switch from a stick.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Sixfortyfive said:
RSG had enough button macros on Saturn to make that issue 100% irrelevant anyway.

Going to be using PS2 Saturn pad on this release.

yeah, but I felt more quick and in control using the three buttons plus combinations.

Sixfortyfive

Hitboxes... lol. I know there's a lot of people that grew up playing emulators with a keyboard, so hitboxes make sense for them, but there's no good reason to switch from a stick.
You can do obscure tiger knee motions (e.g. 2368) faster on hitbox than a stick for the same reason that you can piano key faster on a stick than on a pad with a conventional grip.

If you're suggesting stick over pad for the minor (if even existent) advantage in directional control without considering hitbox at all, then you're the one who needs some perspective.

Muchi Muchi Pink said:
Does it work on the 360?
I use an eTokki converter with it.

RyanDG

I think I'd rather play Mars matrix.

With that said... As much as I loved radiant silvergun when it was first released, I really think that my nostalgia for the game has taken a bit of a dive when I've gone back to it. I'll pick it up on the Xbox 360, but I don't get the same enjoyment out of the game as I used to... Ikaruga is the same way for me now too though, so I guess it may just be that Treasure's shooting games just don't have the same kind of legs for me as much as something like Dangun Feveron (which is the greatest shooting game ever made. period. don't let anyone, anywhere tell you otherwise). Guess my focus in shooting games has changed a bit maybe?

Gradius V is still genius though. And it is by far one of the first games I pick up when I plug my PS2 back into my TV.

Sixfortyfive said:
You can do obscure tiger knee motions (e.g. 2368) faster on hitbox than a stick for the same reason that you can piano key faster on a stick than on a pad with a conventional grip.

If you're suggesting stick over pad for the minor (if even existent) advantage in directional control without considering hitbox at all, then you're the one who needs some perspective.

Hitboxes are awkward- why would you think it would be beneficial to go through that learning curve? For obscure tiger knee motions? Checked perspective, problem not found.

Sixfortyfive

Curufinwe said:
How hard is RS compared to Ikaruga? I liked Ikaruga a lot, but it was too difficult for me to get good at it.
Can't say for sure. I put the time in to 1cc Ikaruga on default settings but never did the same for RSG because the scoring system frustrated me too much.

Hitboxes are awkward- why would you think it would be beneficial to go through that learning curve? For obscure tiger knee motions? Checked perspective, problem not found.
Sticks are awkward and also carry a learning curve. If you're going to suggest that a pad warrior switch to a new device, why suggest a suboptimal device?

SOME-MIST

Chacranajxy said:
Of course, the other theory is that the 360 version is more "finely tuned"... or something like that. Why else would they change enemy placements and all that?

Well, either way, I do need to pick up the DC version at some point. I'm kind of an arcade-accuracy whore and I do love my Naomi ports on the Dreamcast.
not more finely tuned to the PCB, that's for sure.

Some say that they changed these minute details (tho big enough to affect score/gameplay) in order to throw off the long-time competitors...however, I personally think it was just a sloppy port - hence why I hope they do a better job on radiant silvergun...at least in staying true to the original version.

It makes no sense why they would alter the gameplay after a decade of gamers competing with nearly identical ports. It pretty much breaks the purity of the arcade port and gives long-time players less incentive to compete with world-wide scores with the 360 version.. tho it possibly gives them more incentive to relearn the game to compete on the 360 boards.

Chacranajxy said:
because psyvariar is the same as mamoru-kun wa norowarete shimatta which is the same as radirgy which is the same as akai katana which is the same as r-type which is the same as einhander, which is the same as radiant silvergun and so on..

Curufinwe said:
How hard is RS compared to Ikaruga? I liked Ikaruga a lot, but it was too difficult for me to get good at it.
RS is like 2-3 times longer than Ikaruga and forces you to learn chaining to power up your weapons if you want to be strong enough to kill later bosses. It's objectively harder.

epmode

_dementia said:
RS ... forces you to learn chaining to power up your weapons if you want to be strong enough to kill later bosses.
I'm really hoping that there's an extra mode in the 360 port that changes this. Has there been any confirmation on potential powerup or scoring changes?

PJX said:
Any lag issues with that converter? Also how do you bring up the Guide?
Both questions are answered in the product description.

If you must know, lag free and PS2's Analog button acts as Xbox 360's Guide

Sixfortyfive

epmode said:
I'm really hoping that there's an extra mode in the 360 port that changes this. Has there been any confirmation on potential powerup or scoring changes?
I actually think there was mention of an arranged mode in previous interviews that does something like this. It's one of the things I'm most intrigued about.

Sixfortyfive said:
Sticks are awkward and also carry a learning curve. If you're going to suggest that a pad warrior switch to a new device, why suggest a suboptimal device?

It's the control method that Radiant Silvergun was developed on and intended for, same as every other shooter ever made.

The learning curve is kind of overblown. Arcades weren't that long ago.

The fact that you can 1cc Ikaruga is an achievement. That you can do that on a pad is amazing!

Top Bottom