• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiohead excludes new album from Spotify

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

Back in July 2013, Yorke pulled material including his solo work and Atoms For Peace recordings from Spotify, complaining that “new artists get paid f*ck all with this model”.

Later that year he went further, describing the platform and its relationship with the music industry as: “The last desperate fart of a dying corpse.”

On Tuesday (May 3), this schism appeared to have healed, with Radiohead bringing their comeback single Burn The Witch to Spotify – before adding another new track, Daydreaming, on Friday (May 6).

However, Radiohead have just released their new album, A Moon Shaped Pool, on digital services. And it’s bad news for Daniel Ek.

The XL-issued LP is available to stream in full on the likes of Apple Music and TIDAL – but is conspicuous by its absence on Spotify.

The album is also available to download from £9 ($13 / €11.50), while a range of physical options are headed up by a £60 / $86.50 / €76 special edition vinyl, which will ship to fans in September.

http://www.musicbusinessworldwide.c...-spotify-as-new-album-hits-apple-music-tidal/

As a spotify subscriber, this sucks. Is it their free tier that Thom doesn't like?

ColdPizza

Banned
Thanks Pitchfork

jQlsEJa.png

Thom was probably like, "Thanks for reminding me"

I made a spotify account today and listened to the first two tracks from the new album. Did it get removed this morning? The full album wasn't there but the first two tracks were definitely free.

U2NUMB

Is it the forced free section that these artists do not like? I assume revenue is super low then? As someone who pays for spotify it annoys me.

In this case I have no problem buying the album and using a custom playlist inside spotify but enough artists complain about it that I am worried since I do love the service. Hope they wise up in ways they need to soon.

Gunztrix

I've no problem with this. Let them make their money and when the album has run its course then release it on Spotify.

Not that this in particular is a huge loss to me, but it's a bummer for people that use the service since for a lot of people there aren't decent alternatives. Google Music is restricted to a few regions last I checked (edit: does it even work the same way?), Tidal is just hands down a worse platform, and Apple Music is restricted to certain devices and some horrible desktop software.

Spotify, even with the quirks in their software, tend to work in some way on pretty much anything. I don't see any other services that do, unless you are buying and maintaining a library of MP3 files which is great for consumer rights, but not very good for convenience.

SamVimes

I made a spotify account today and listened to the first two tracks from the new album. Did it get removed this morning? The full album wasn't there but the first two tracks were definitely free.

The singles are there. Yesterday at around 10 pm CEST the full album was up on spotify's servers and I was able to save it before it was (supposedly) removed.

Griss

I was having lunch with someone who works with Spotify yesterday, they predicted this. I maintained that the artists don't get paid enough, she was getting upset, lol.

Those were the two prerelease 'teasers' or 'singles' released before the album, it's probably coincidental that they're the first two songs on it. Therefore it doesn't mean the album was ever there.

Galang

Banned
I wonder how much more artists make from tidal and Apple Music? The payout from Spotify is insanely bad so I don't blame anyone that boycotts the service. If the payout is similar then I think it's pretty scummy. People can always buy the actual album and support the artist that way too. Artists gotta make money, don't see the issue

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
It's not there yet and we don't know if it will be is different from excluding.

This.

People are drawing conclusions based on events without any real knowledge of the situation.

Just cause it's not somewhere currently doesn't mean it won't ever be.

entremet

I wonder how much more artists make from tidal and Apple Music? The payout from Spotify is insanely bad so I don't blame anyone that boycotts the service. If the payout is similar then I think it's pretty scummy. People can always buy the actual album and support the artist that way too. Artists gotta make money, don't see the issue

Both Apple Music and Tidal have no free tiers. I think that's the bigger issue for artists.

Many believe that the free tier devalue music and kills sales.

Adele did the same thing.

Yeah, if I remember correctly from my time working with Pandora, Spotify pays out between 1/50th of a cent and 1/100th of a cent per play of a song. That means for every 10,000 plays, artists would only make a dollar or two. Pretty abysmal.

Those were the two prerelease 'teasers' or 'singles' released before the album, it's probably coincidental that they're the first two songs on it. Therefore it doesn't mean the album was ever there.

The whole album was definitely listed, but unavailable. The first two tracks were highlighted as playable while when you pressed play on the other songs nothing happened, they were also kinda greyed out.

I'm in the Australian region if that made a difference. But yeah it getting yanked looks accurate since only BTW is up there for me now, cant' see the album listing nor the second track.

emb

Makes sense. It's probably a rough deal for the musicians. I'm definitely not willing to pay for music, and it makes sense for that to mean I don't hear the latest and greatest right away, or for some things maybe not ever.

Meier

It'll probably get added in due time. I miss Rdio, it would often get things that Spotify didn't. :( Still had T-Swizzle for instance.

Greddleok

It's £9, people. Just buy it if you want it.

That's like 2 pints of beer in London, or 3 coffees from one of the many expensive chains that exist.

Wreav

Banned
The whole album was definitely listed, but unavailable. The first two tracks were highlighted as playable while when you pressed play on the other songs nothing happened, they were also kinda greyed out.

They were actually fully playable for a bunch of folks for a bit yesterday, so Spotify definitely has the full album on their servers, they just haven't been given the green light yet.

entremet

It'll probably get added in due time. I miss Rdio, it would often get things that Spotify didn't. :( Still had T-Swizzle for instance.

Same here. I just miss the interface and social features. Spotify sucks in comparison. I haven't been happy with any of the services since Rdio went under.

I don't fault you guys, but pretty interesting how devalued music has become.

If I hear it's truly transformational and a must-listen, then I'll seek it out. Honestly I've never really been a huge music guy. It was rare for me to buy an album even back before streaming services.

Wreav

Banned
I don't fault you guys, but pretty interesting how devalued music has become.

Bad argument. I shouldn't have to subscribe to multiple streaming companies. I picked one that best fit my use cases, and I no longer pirate music as a result. I buy vinyl and go to concerts to support the artists. I'm not going to buy an MP3 or worse, a CD. I'm a man of the times. Refusing to buy music in a format that doesn't interest me isn't me devaluing music.

If a band decides to release their music on EVERY OTHER PLATFORM BUT MINE, well, that's too bad for them, I'll find it another way.

Is Radiohead going to release this album physically?

Here's What I do with Spotify. I use Spotify as way to preview an album before I buy it digitally or physically. I did it for To Pimp a Butterfly and some other albums.

Dabanton

I always buy Radiohead albums so not that much of a hassle.

But Spotify need to sweeten the deal for us Premium Spotify subscribers. I know they don't want a situation where premium subs are allowed access to these albums and free tier are given the shaft.

But if these people aren't paying anything then fuck em.

entremet

If I hear it's truly transformational and a must-listen, then I'll seek it out. Honestly I've never really been a huge music guy. It was rare for me to buy an album even back before streaming services.

You're on the free tier of Spotify?

That would make sense then. If you're not a music guy meaning.

You're on the free tier of Spotify?

That would make sense then. If you're not a music guy meaning.

Fiancee and I have two accounts (from before we got together) -- one paid and one free. Mostly use the free one at work, but we do pay for premium together as well.

Nibiru

Banned
More artists are on Spotify than aren't. In fact when someone isn't on Spotify it is a headline grabber. I'm not sure why this is the case if they pay so poorly. I sub to Spotify btw:)

giga

It's £9, people. Just buy it if you want it.

That's like 2 pints of beer in London, or 3 coffees from one of the many expensive chains that exist.
That's not the issue for me. It's the local files syncing solution in Spotify which is lackluster. Example: I have my purchased copy of 1989 synced to my desktop and phone Spotify apps, but it can't sync to my work computer unless I manually add it there. And I'd have to do this to every song or album not in Spotify. It's a hassle. iTunes Match and Google Music help this by uploading to their servers, but it's still messy in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom