• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiohead excludes new album from Spotify

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it artists are cool with Tidal and Apple but not Spotfy? The free tier?

I really like Spotify and have a premium sub, I honestly hope they drop the free tier if it means they can start getting all this stuff they are missing.

Quonny

Is there a chart or something that shows how much artists make from album sales compared to things like concerts and merchandise?

I would think that these bands would make a lot of their money on tour.

SecretDan

A mudslide of fun!
Boo hoo, Thom Yorke doesn't think his band is making enough money, boo fucking hoo. Sorry for your meager ~$40 million. Let me pity him as well as all the other established millionaires who flock to whatever service pays the most whilst outputting sub-par (or quite honestly, terrible) product once a year (or longer) for their one or, maybe, two good singles.

Then let's all complain about Spotify, which gives artists enormous exposure, and arguably leads them to more money in the long run through that avenue then just direct streams. Does any artist really expect to make (or sustain) a career living from their music in streams? No? Okay then, go out and get money at a show or sell some merchandise, which is what you were going to do in the first place anyway. It's not, as if, you are only going to make your music available in one place, right?

"It's such a shame that music isn't valued"

Let's all clear something up here: a lot of "artists" produce shit. They release an album a year, with maybe two (if you're lucky) quality tracks that will even exist longer than the 6-8 month average staying period, and you expect me to pay for 80-90% trash you thought up in a boardroom while trying to appeal to "what's current"? Or pay the same amount (or sometimes more) for some no-name, badly produced, made-in-a-can sounding garbage you created in 48 hours on some software? The bar for quality music and media in general has gotten so abysmally low that it creates this false sense of "they're undervalued" -- hey, guess what, nobody has to listen or pay for your shit. If you create music to just get money, I guarantee your product is terrible. If you create music that you love and will do it regardless of who listens, because you actually love music, I guarantee you'll produce quality and will have fans and support. And of those fans who support and love your music because you're creating quality, guess what happens then?! People buy your shit because they value it.

But I guess it's okay to just expect people to prop you up for nothing more than ego.

Sounds like you need to listen to better music.

Don't think anyone is asking for your pity about the money issue either. Just because they have made a lot of money does that mean they are no longer entitled to what is theirs?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I paid to download the MP3s and I can't even play them as local files in Spotify (which you can always do with other music not on the service). Come the fuck on.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's so depressing how little people value music - and films, and books - these days. Everything's become (I know people hate this word, but) entitled: we pay little, we get these things. They don't use Spotify because, compared to Tidal and Apple, the margins for the artist are absolutely fucking shocking. So, good. I'm pleased. Let them get paid.

It's worth buying, by the way. Anything you like and want to keep and listen to is worth buying.

People paying for Spotify are paying $120 per year. That's probably more than the average music consumer spent on CDs or downloads.

People on the free tier of Spotify don't care enough about specific music to subscribe and are likely to listen more as a radio station. So arguably they won't miss the likes of radio head. But it seems unfair to restrict content from paying customers.

facelike

I really like Spotify and have a premium sub, I honestly hope they drop the free tier if it means they can start getting all this stuff they are missing.

It's because the free tier of these services hardly pays the artist if someone plays a song where the paid tier pays much better. By Spotify offering their free tier, they gained the ire of some artists not making as much. Services like G.Music, A.Music pay the artists better due to forcing people to paid plans rather than offering a free option with ads.

It is great that streaming is an option we currently have. I just think that Spotify, due to the free tier and popularity, get more targets on them.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I do understand his point, which is about new bands. Apparently, you can't make money anymore by selling records. Established can still earn loads by touring. But that's not an option for small new bands.

[shock]Lars Ulrich was right.[/shock] ;-)

bounchfx

oh what the fuck man. It's even on Tidal Lol.

Isn't it on Google Play too? as far as I understand that's exactly like Spotify. Do they simply pay the artists better?

entremet

Because Spotify's free tier would undercut possible sales.

That's the logic there.

When Adele breaks records it kinda proves that logic right. I wonder how many albums she would have sold if Spotify had her album at release.

Nibiru

Banned
I've addressed the usability issue with this above, but to add another reason, premium subscribers at Spotify are disadvantaged to premium subscribers at other streaming services, despite us paying the same amount.

I don't feel that way at all. I pay simply to be able to listen to the music offline so it is a tremendous value to me not to mention the Spotify experience is still way better than everything else out there imo.

I paid to download the MP3s and I can't even play them as local files in Spotify

Yes you can. I do it all the time.

Hold on, if the main barrier of entry is the free users...

Then why does it allow me to use a 3 month free trial on Google music to play it?

I wonder if there's something else at play.

Ulldog

I paid to download the MP3s and I can't even play them as local files in Spotify (which you can always do with other music not on the service). Come the fuck on.

It works perfectly fine for me. Could even sync the album to my phone.

oh what the fuck man. It's even on Tidal Lol.

Isn't it on Google Play too? as far as I understand that's exactly like Spotify. Do they simply pay the artists better?

it was on google play since friday? or maybe saturday. or was it sunday. i know it was already there since i played the album (or just one song)

entremet

Hold on, if the main barrier of entry is the free users...

Then why does it allow me to use a 3 month free trial on Google music to play it?

I wonder if there's something else at play.

That's not a free tier.

That's a free trial. Slight but important different.

That's not a free tier.

That's a free trial. Slight but important different.

That's true, important difference indeed - think I was just pleased I found a temporary workaround.

If free access in general is the issue, then at least they didn't block that off.

kingocfs

Not a fan of the apps. Main thing for me though is discover weekly.

I switched to Google Music a few months back and still check out Discover Weekly every week, it's a monster feature. I know it's probably not as effective when I don't use Spotify during the week but it still introduces me to so many new bands.

I'm glad I learned rich people are not allowed to complain about money they earned and deserve.

That said they could have at least released the vinyl.

People paying for Spotify are paying $120 per year. That's probably more than the average music consumer spent on CDs or downloads.

People on the free tier of Spotify don't care enough about specific music to subscribe and are likely to listen more as a radio station. So arguably they won't miss the likes of radio head. But it seems unfair to restrict content from paying customers.
Well, no. It's not. Spotify aren't paying enough money out to the artists. Simple as that. And it's because of the free tier, which is what most Spotify users use. Without that, they'd be on an even level with tidal and apple (although they pay less share than those two even from the paid tier). We're going to see this more and more: as they pay less, so people restrict. It's unfair of Spotify to not pay more, not the band for wanting to, you know, give their music its actual worth.

Well, no. It's not. Spotify aren't paying enough money out to the artists. Simple as that. And it's because of the free tier, which is what most Spotify users use. Without that, they'd be on an even level with tidal and apple (although they pay less share than those two even from the paid tier). We're going to see this more and more: as they pay less, so people restrict. It's unfair of Spotify to not pay more, not the band for wanting to, you know, give their music its actual worth.

It's important to remember that in the majority of cases, Spotify's deals will be with a artists' record label, not the artist themselves. The major record labels also own stakes in Spotify.

emb

I don't fault you guys, but pretty interesting how devalued music has become.
Yeah. I won't act like I'm fault-less in my non-support, but it is interesting to see where it goes.

It's not too surprising to see it happen. By the time I started getting interested in music, the way to get it was to fire up Limewire or a torrent site and just grab it. Starting off, I copied CDs from some friends of mine. For people growing up in that situation, it kinda follows that they would give less thought to paying for music unless it was a deliberate show of support.

And it's part of the digital format in general. We all know that it costs (essentially) nothing for anyone to make a copy of the data and keep it. That goes for music, games, movies, ebooks, anything. Paying per copy made sense back when we were buying physical items, that had to be created, shipped, that could be held in your hand. With digital it feels like you pay, but get nothing of value in return. And if I don't care enough about something to collect the physical knick-knacks, it feels like the cost of physical copies is an uncalled for burden. In reality, the artists need to be compensated for the countless hours spent creating though.

It gets hazier still when noted that there's more supply than demand... in the sense, that suppliers are willing to produce the content for less money, and consumers are willing to fork out less cash. Creating has some inherent satisfaction; we'll always have some folks that do it out of love. If it becomes (more) unprofitable to be a musician, people will still probably fill the gaps. Even at that, there's the success of the few who make it in a heavily hit-driven entertainment industry, dangling in front of new artists. The larger ones can keep going off of that success, making all the money back in shows, merch sales, and whatever other revenue streams fame can invite. This will still encourage smaller acts to make music in hopes of finding their success, even if it seems like the money's not there.

Solution? Idk, I don't have one. The idea of copyright is to act in the interest of the consumer, by making artists more likely to create, thus leading to more art. I don't think there's enough dearth of music to worry consumers. Given this, paying for it is more against the best interest of the consumer, and I don't think it's reliable to hope for large percentages to pay much out of good-will.

Sorry for the incoherent ramblings. I'm sort of an outsider on anything financial, especially with the music sphere...

1) That $120 a year doesn't go the artists. A very small percentage does. Been a while since I looked at the rates, but if memory serves a song on Spotify has to be streamed like 40,000 times for the artist to reach the same revenue as someone buying it as a 99 cent single.
2) Radio still has to pay royalties when they play a song. That free tier is just straight-up lost revenue.

Liamario

Banned
My only problem with their decision was releasing the first two songs like a tease, which served to do nothing than piss off the fans.
They shouldn't have released the two songs at all on Spotify.

Pavaloo

iirc they feel new artists don't get fairly compensated on spotify (ie atoms for peace, ultraista,etc.). the 'old farts of a dying corpse' was a reference to the old label that owned their albums up to HTTT just making a lot more than the band could off of new material.

radiohead's producer/fifth member nigel godrich talking about spotify in 2013
"I think it's very of the time and it shows a feeling in society. Everybody is very greedy. And all this is about is the emergence of a universal access to music, which I think is an amazing thing. I'm not a dinosaur, I know what streaming is, I know how it works more than anybody I've met. And believe me I've done an awful lot of research about it the last few weeks," he says. "What we're prepared to accept, and what could become the norm, is trying to be cemented here. Some people have been greedy and it doesn't have to be [like that]."

i mean this is coming from the band that released what was considered their magnum opus under a pay-what-you-want model which was completely unheard of at the time.

but they just got control over all their old material again so maybe they're just negotiating at this point?

tchocky

I'm glad I learned rich people are not allowed to complain about money they earned and deserve.

That said they could have at least released the vinyl.

The vinyl will be released next month. Unfortunately bands can not release physical versions at the same time as digital because if they do when they send the album to be manufactured it would get leaked to torrent sites.

I wonder how much more artists make from tidal and Apple Music? The payout from Spotify is insanely bad so I don't blame anyone that boycotts the service. If the payout is similar then I think it's pretty scummy. People can always buy the actual album and support the artist that way too. Artists gotta make money, don't see the issue
From what I hear, the payout models of all three services are practically the same: 70 to 75% of net revenue, split proportionally based on stream counts. Therefore, in practice, it would be whoever earns the most revenue which would be paying out the most actual dollars, which AFAIK remains Spotify. Of course, this assumes no back door shady deals with the major labels, which is a dumb assumption to have,but I would also expect all of the services to have made similarly shady deals for the major's catalogues, so whatever. It's also ignoring artists signing up with shitty deals with labels that take all the money, which is the actual problem with streaming payouts.

It's kinda ironic that the streaming service that would (in theory) pay out the highest is also the one that certain artists refuse to add their new stuff to in protest.

Money I spent on music 2004-2014: $0
Money I spent on music 2014-now: $240 and counting

I'm similar, except I would add "Money I spent on music prior to 2004: $10,000-20,000"...so there is no arguing that $240 is a pretty sweet deal either way.

linsivvi

Yeah, if I remember correctly from my time working with Pandora, Spotify pays out between 1/50th of a cent and 1/100th of a cent per play of a song. That means for every 10,000 plays, artists would only make a dollar or two. Pretty abysmal.

That's not how it works.

http://www.wired.com/2014/11/one-band-who-loves-spotify/
Here are the payment numbers reported to date for “Detroit” (the payments haven’t caught up with the actual streams yet):

204,250 Spotify streams = $910.43

This means we’re getting paid approximately 0.4457 cents for every stream. Since we didn’t/don’t have a label, we used a distribution service to get the EP to the digital services and never pressed any physical copies. That service takes 15 percent off the top, so Spotify is actually paying out more than we’re seeing (approx. 0.5244 cents/stream).
The biggest issue with most of the arguments against Spotify is that we don’t know the terms of the artists’ contracts. What are the details of their label deal? Do the songwriters have a publishing deal? Did the songwriter get an advance on his publishing deal? What is the songwriter’s split on the song(s) they wrote? Without any of this information, we can’t tell exactly what is happening to the money after Spotify writes the check.

A lot of the negative information you see online are from the very music labels trying to hold on to their album sales by misinforming the public and/or their musicians.

megalowho

Thread seems premature, there's no actual statement on this aside from they're working on getting the album on the service. Not the first time there's been exclusivity deals with other platforms and Spotify gets it eventually.

Should be clear that artists don't get compensated all that great with the Spotify model, it's convenient for us but worth resisting for them while there's competition out there.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
eh i just got it direct from them, then spotify can add it from your files no problem. (premium)

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Yes you can. I do it all the time.

It works perfectly fine for me. Could even sync the album to my phone.

Well, this is weird – I can only play the files on the Spotify-playing device itself. I pretty much always play from my computer and stream to my Amazon Echo or other Bluetooth speakers, which simply does not work.

Deft Beck

Thread seems premature, there's no actual statement on this aside from they're working on getting the album on the service. Not the first time there's been exclusivity deals with other platforms and Spotify gets it eventually.

Should be clear that artists don't get compensated all that great with the Spotify model, it's convenient for us but worth resisting for them while there's competition out there.

Ideally, artists shouldn't be relying on Spotify as a primary source of income for their music. It's a marketing tool for other revenue channels.

megalowho

Ideally, artists shouldn't be relying on Spotify as a primary source of income for their music. It's a marketing tool for other revenue channels.
Not simply a marketing tool, it's the future of music consumption for a generation that has grown to accept the devaluation of creative works. They're not needed by huge bands like Radiohead that can reach their audience in a variety of ways, and they do no favors to smaller artists seeking to make a living through new distribution models and finding it impossible. Other streaming services understand this and build it into their business model, artists deserve to be compensated fairly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom