• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiohead excludes new album from Spotify

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that's a great example. It's less begging and more "Fund me directly".

Which is why a lot of major artists have 360-deals, where the label has their hand in the concerts/touring, too.

It'll be on Spotify in a few months.

I have no issue with directly funding the artist. I just know that the amount of fans out there in the world that purchase music almost always do when things like this are available. There is still not a lot of us compared to people that stream only.

Actually artists are pretty screwed when it comes to deals. I won't sit here and say that it is not their fault as a lot of them just sign and have their labels/management do all the massive contract crap.

Fun fact time:

The best way to make money for an musician is actually touring. The band Phish pretty much perfected the tour and those guys get the best of all worlds. They make a ton of money and are not dependent on album sales to pay the bills.

I am a massive consumer of music as it is my number one hobby even over video games. With that said there are not a lot of people in the world like me who are willing to pay for albums. Streaming is the future. Musicians should embrace streaming as a way to expose themselves and then tour hard.

I don't understand how the new album is on almost every version of streaming in the world but not Spotify. I checked and it is actually on Rhapsody of all things.

Which is all fine and good unless your music isn't easy to play live, or you Sony have a large enough following to make a tour feasible and profitable.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This is false. All the other streaming services use the same business model as Spotify.
But everyone else doesn't offer the free access to everything, so their models seem pretty different.

To people who don't like that they pay for Spotify and still aren't getting these albums, I'd say it's going to happen repeatedly in the future and you should consider switching to a service that doesn't offer a free plan that you don't use in the first place. It's coming to a head and more big names will be holding their stuff back to prove a point, why keep being involved with that side if you don't have to be?

Deft Beck

Bands are starting to do this more and more. I see it mostly with Jam bands.

I think it's an amazing idea.

But everyone else doesn't offer the free access to everything, so their models seem pretty different.

To people who don't like that they pay for Spotify and still aren't getting these albums, I'd say it's going to happen repeatedly in the future and you should consider switching to a service that doesn't offer a free plan that you don't use in the first place. It's coming to a head and more big names will be holding their stuff back to prove a point, why keep being involved with that side if you don't have to be?

I might just stop listening to those bands. It's silly to make it so hard to listen to their new music.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I might just stop listening to those bands. It's silly to make it so hard to listen to their new music.
If you want free Spotify access, I guess it's the price you pay. Them using their clout to show that the free tier they offer is a bad proposition for a lot of bands is inevitable.

Pavaloo

is it really so hard to listen to their music when it's available on literally every platform except one streaming service?

i understand saying you don't want to spend the extra money on another service or on the album itself, but it's not like it's inaccessible

Deft Beck

If you want free Spotify access, I guess it's the price you pay. Them using their clout to show that the free tier they offer is a bad proposition for a lot of bands is inevitable.

Then, why have YouTube host album uploads, or singles, or music videos? What makes them different than Spotify?

Dazzler

This seems to be happening more often recently

No Drake album, Kanye's album was delayed (before eventually going live), no T-Swift

As someone who pays for Spotify, it's a massive bummer. I just skipped all those albums rather than downloading illegally

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Based on this thread was not expecting the album to be available on Groove but it is.

Nice, listening now.

Mau ®

I wonder why can't spotify just make an album exclusive to paying users for a limited? Surely that would serve as incentive to try the premium option, no?

mattiewheels

Mau ®;203149474 said:
I wonder why can't spotify just make an album exclusive to paying users for a limited? Surely that would serve as incentive to try the premium option, no?
I'm guessing if they allowed that, every band would make their album pay-exclusive, and they'd lose tons of people who just used it for free music.

robotrock

Banned
Sorry for the bump, but In Rainbows is now on Spotify.

Maybe a sign of things to come?

I think I read somewhere that it's coming within the next week or so. June 17th maybe?

Edit:
TSDZIbn.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom