• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rank your Rally Racers

jedimike

The more racing games I play, the more I find out that I enjoy Rally racing more than the others. I haven't had the privelage of playing every Rally game or even the majority of them, but I have played enough crap ones to know what's good.

Use this website to refresh your Rally memory. They list most of them except for the more recent ones like Richard Burns.

http://www.digitpress.com/archives/didyouknow_rally.htm

My Top 3:

1. RSC2
2. RSC1
3. Sega Rally (I missed out on 2)

I recently played the CMR5 demo on this month's OXM Disc and it was absolutely horrendous. From what I remember of CMR (2 was the last one I seriously played), it's supposed to be a sim. However, the handling on the demo was definitely arcade and didn't hold a candle to the RSC series.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Wasn't there a Dakar recent recently for all three systems? I think I have the GC version...

1. Rallisport 2 (Xbox)
2. Mobil 1 Rally Championship (PC)
3. Rallisport 1 (Xbox)
4. Colin McRae 04 (PC)
5. Top Gear Rally (N64)
6. Top Gear Rally 2 (N64)
7. Rally Championship (1996) (PC)

SvelteBoy

1. CMR04 (XBX)
2. RSC2 (XBX)
3. CMR2 (PS)
4. CMR3 (XBX)
5. V-Rally 2 (DC)

I still remember being disappointed when they cancelled CMR2 for Dreamcast.

OH SNAP!

I completely forgot about V-Rally 2 for the DC! Shit, I'm not going to go back and redo my list though... Let's just say I really liked that game a lot, and it got many, many, hours of play from me.

Brofist

Of course the above games mentioned but, I always like Rally Cross for PSX too. Tell me that shit wasn't fun.

Koshiro

Anyone in this thread that doesn't mention Sega Rally needs their kneecaps busted open. But RSC is better obviously.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Sega Rally 2
Sega Rally

Yeah, I'm not a huge Rally fan and the only other Rally games I have played were RSC1 and 2. I can't say I really like the ultra floaty handling of either one. It just doesn't feel very good...

Shinobi

My top picks in order...

Colin McRae 4 (XBox)
Sega Rally 2 (Arcade)
Colin McRae 2 (PC)
Sega Rally 2 (PC)
Sega Rally Championship (Arcade, Saturn)
Rallisport Challenge 2 (XBox)
V-Rally 3 (XBox)
Colin McRae Rally (PC)

I've got Mobil 1 British Rally Championship for PC, but simply wasn't able to get into it despite it's authenticity and super long stages (maybe I needed a wheel for it). And I've got V-Rally 2 for DC, but couldn't stand the handling and the fact that the hairpins were all exactly the same...just brutal stuff. Couldn't get into Rally Masters for PC either.

I've also got WRC2 for PS2, which I saw used a couple months ago and bought with the quickness. Still need to get my PS2 modded first before I can dig into that, but I could see that entering my top three or four quite easily. I'm also looking forward to WRC4, along with Richard Burns Rally and (hopefully) Sega Rally 3 powered by the upcoming Naomi 3 board.

AirBrian

I'm a WRC fan myself.

Anyone actually watch it on TV? If you like playing rally games, I highly recommend giving it a watch or two.

EDIT: Ha, I completely forgot about Top Gear Rally on the N64.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
SEGA Rally 2, deluxe cabinet, arcade. Smilebit also crafted a nice Dreamcast port with content that impressively went beyond the call of duty.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Lazy8s said:
SEGA Rally 2, deluxe cabinet, arcade. Smilebit also crafted a nice Dreamcast port with content that impressively went beyond the call of duty.

Damn, that makes me mad just thinking about the DC version...

I love the arcade game, but damn, the DC port is just so awful. I know it was early software, but come on...

I wish they would have fixed it up for US release, at least...

Shinobi

AirBrian said:
I'm a WRC fan myself.

Anyone actually watch it on TV? If you like playing rally games, I highly recommend giving it a watch or two.

I haven't watched it as much or as intently this year for the first time since '98, though I still tape all the shows as I've done the last 7 years. No Colin McRae and the stupid FIA rules have put a bit of a downer on the series for me. Still the best driving action you're gonna find though.

BTW, Sega Rally 2 fans should try and find the PC version...it's basically the DC version all cleaned up, with a consistent 60fps frame rate. I think the control is a bit tighter as well.

Coen

Collin McRae Rally 02
Collin McRae Rally 04
Sega Rally
Rallysport Challenge 2
Shox (well, sort of)
V-Rally

Shox - I know it's not technically a rally game, but if a game is too realistic I lose interest. Plus I just got it so it's in my PS2 right now. Damn is this game fun.

AirBrian

Shinobi said:
I haven't watched it as much or as intently this year for the first time since '98, though I still tape all the shows as I've done the last 7 years. No Colin McRae and the stupid FIA rules have put a bit of a downer on the series for me. Still the best driving action you're gonna find though.
I'm kind of in the same boat. I used to watch it religiously until this year for some reason. TiVo still records them so I'll zip through one every now and then. Like you said though, best driving action, period.

And I also liked Shox, underrated IMO.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
The original SEGA Rally has cars that control with the perfect weightiness and a procession of courses few in number but crafted to total playability.

Shinobi

Shompola said:
WRC2 is fun but IMO crap with the FF wheel. A shame.

Wierd, I always heard it was the exact opposite...unless my memory is fuzzy. Suits me though, I don't have a wheel anyway.

Shompola

Banned
Well I am no expert but It was very hard with the wheel and I had no control over it at all in those mountains and also the wheel felt somewhat loose. GT3 felt much better with the wheel and I actually was better with the wheel than with the pad. So don't take my comment completely serious because I am not experienced enough with the wheel. maybe somebody else can comment on it too who has played with FF wheel. Btw I use the logitech force pro? wheel.

Koshiro said:
Anyone in this thread that doesn't mention Sega Rally needs their kneecaps busted open. But RSC is better obviously.

I deliberately did not list either of the Sega Rally games. Oh, and I've played them extensively.

1.) Sega Rally 2
2.) Sega Rally
3.) Rallisport 2
4.) Rallisport

If you want to include GT3's rally mode, throw that in behind SR.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Shox is sooooooooooo awesome. V-Rally 3 is my favorite though. I hated RSC1, but I like RSC2 quite a bit. GT3's rally segments fucking rock my nuts.

AlphaSnake said:
GT3's rally segments fucking rock my nuts.

I was really surprised with GT3's rally mode. After GT2's rally mode which was pretty mediocre, I didn't really expect much from GT3's. But it was a massive improvement over GT2's.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
hmmm, its hard to rank all rally games, as obviously some are aiming for different goals, but heres my list regardless...

rsc2
rsc
sega rally 1
sega rally 2
richard burns rally
colin mcrae 04

rallisport is godly, 1 and 2. same with the sega rally series, surprisingly (or not, judging by many peoples lists here) i prefer sr1 to the sequel. better tracks and handling IMO. richard burns really has a ton of potential and is a GREAT game despite quite a few HUGE flaws. if a sequel is made, i hope it will leap frog several games on my list. and lastly cmr04 which is good-great, just no where near the levels of the rest mentioned

Top Bottom