• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank : UYA scores yet another 10

in the latest GMR. I just saw it on the newstands today, so I don't have all of the other scores. So, so far this thing is perfect. Batting 1.0000 :D

PSM 10/10
Gameinformer 10/10
GMR 10/10

Some other scores were in the issue:

Sims 2.0 10
NFSU 2 9.0
Jak 3 8.0
Mortal Kombat: Deception 8.0 (I think)

I don't remember the other scores off of the top of my head.

jarrod

Banned
Heh, Naughty Dog should just stop making games and devote their entire R&D to making engines for Insomniac games. :)

I liked the second Ratchet and Clank (Going Commando).

However, for me personally, the Ratchet and Clank series is rated far too highly. I can't overcome the feeling of how generic it is, especially graphically. The Jak games have a similar problem.

AniHawk

Damn! I wonder if this'll make its way into the top 10 on Gamerankings. Bought a PSTwo for this baby. Should be great fun.

jarrod said:
Heh, Naughty Dog should just stop making games and devote their entire R&D to making engines for Insomniac games. :)

No kidding.

SantaC

Ratchet & Clank : UYA > everything these holidays (inc Halo2)?

I for sure couldn't see this one coming.

AirBrian

Another reason why the PSTwo is pressing on my heart. My wallet curses you!

Sims 2 has been out for over a month, kinda late on the review.

Good score for NFS:U2 -- definitely keeping my eye on it. Looks like the free-city-roam will turn out OK.

BTW sonycowboy, check your PM's.

jarrod

Banned
Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
However, for me personally, the Ratchet and Clank series is rated far too highly. I can't overcome the feeling of how generic it is, especially graphically. The Jak games have a similar problem.
Yeah both series have that "Rare" look imo, though not quite as bad for R&C. Still pretty generic, especially compared to Ape Escape or Sly.

There aren't rolling eyes in the world big enough...

Deku Tree said:
What did GMR say about R&C3?

Unfortunately, I didnt' get a chance to read it at lunch, but I do remember it said:

Better Than: Ratchet & Clank Going Commando :D

Mrbob

I won't argue Sly, but you think Ratchet and Clank characters and worlds look generic compared to the anime inspired characters and generic flat looking levels of Ape Escape 2?

jarrod

Banned
Mrbob said:
I won't argue Sly, but you think Ratchet and Clank characters and worlds look generic compared to the anime inspired characters and generic flat looking levels of Ape Escape 2?
Monkeys > *

P90

My sentiments as well. R&C are just Spyro with teenage attitude. Solid games, but the press loves them more than I do.

When will Rare ever get off of their rears and make a BK3? I would repurchase an Xbox for that. (Conker sux).

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jarrod said:
I dunno, sales of Jak games might just be a tad more lucrative than licensing out bits of the engine to Insomniac

JAK 1 1,620,194
R&C 1 950,924
JAK 2 857,873
R&C 2 622,374

:p

That said, I wouldn't personally mind seeing UYA finally see better sales than Jak 3.

unkasa

Banned
This is shaping up to be the best online game this gen, from what I've read. I've always loved the series, and with such a robust online component, it may just be the best game I purchase this holiday season.

jarrod

Banned
kaching said:
I dunno, sales of Jak games might just be a tad more lucrative than licensing out bits of the engine to Insomniac

JAK 1 1,620,194
R&C 1 950,924
JAK 2 857,873
R&C 2 622,374

:p

That said, I wouldn't personally mind seeing UYA finally see better sales than Jak 3.
Well, J&D also had a nice year long heavy ad campaign and quick price drops to get those figures... Jak 2 was also pushed ahead of R&C GC by SCEA for some reason. It's worth noting that R&C is fairly successful in Japan though (while Jak bombed... Jak 2 actually didn't clear 10k) and I believe R&C is also bigger in Europe.

unkasa

Banned

It's easily the best looking platformer this generation will see. From beautifully modeled architecture and impressively designed characters to an insane number of objects flitting about a sea of particle effects, there is absolutely nothing about this game that meets the definition of "generic."

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Jarrod - Fair points, but I still think they end up with more profit this way than just licensing an engine to one developer :)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
R&C3 online = better than you (or I) ever thought it could be, and that's basing on the months old beta. New OPM single player demo was also pretty damn good, even that one 2D level that was included.

unkasa said:
It's easily the best looking platformer this generation will see. From beautifully modeled architecture and impressively designed characters to an insane number of objects flitting about a sea of particle effects, there is absolutely nothing about this game that meets the definition of "generic."

It looks really nice, yes. You're talking about graphic quality, I'm talking about "style" and "soul". It is very bland to me, much like Donkey Kong Country for SNES looked fantastic at the time, but was bland and generic.

IJoel

I personally prefer Jak than R&C.

I don't know... R&C seems a very polished yet not outstanding game. It just doesn't appeal much to me. I do recognize it's a quality title.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I can see why some people view R&C as generic/souless since its art evokes a retro scifi style that's inherently sterile looking in many respects. Not to mention that the architectural style is very homogenous even as you hop from planet to planet. But the entire audiovisual approach is not one I'd say I've seen rendered truly generic by other videogames.

Tortfeasor said:
GMR with 2 x 10.0 reviews in one issue? Seems like they are devaluing what a 10.0 review should mean.

They only have full point scores (8.0, 9.0, 10.0 - why include the .0??), so I think a 10 is perfectly fair and from what I've played of R&C:UYA well deserved.

skip

Tortfeasor said:
GMR with 2 x 10.0 reviews in one issue? Seems like they are devaluing what a 10.0 review should mean.

should mean to you, maybe. not our fault that a bunch of really, really good games are coming out this year, and next issue might have more than 2 10 scores. that's the way it goes.

jarrod

Banned
kaching said:
Jarrod - Fair points, but I still think they end up with more profit this way than just licensing an engine to one developer :)
Sure, but I wasn't really looking at things from a profit standpoint initially. Rather the quailty of the R&C games being higher quailty gives SCEA their real killer platform brand they've been after since losing Crash/Spyro imo. I'd rather see them give it (and maybe Sly) the sort of extended push Jak enjoys, especially since R&C is a now a bankable brand in every region. There's to much platform overlap in SCEA schedule, now that the discussion's turned this way I honestly think they'd be more profitable psuhing everything into R&C rather than having 3 competing platformers on the market simultaneously. OIt'd save massive resources and a push one brand further.

Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing ND work on a Sony mascot racer too...

jarrod

Banned
kaching said:
I can see why some people view R&C as generic/souless since its art evokes a retro scifi style that's inherently sterile looking in many respects. Not to mention that the architectural style is very homogenous even as you hop from planet to planet. But the entire audiovisual approach is not one I'd say I've seen rendered truly generic by other videogames.
Oh I get it... R&C's artwork looks generic only because the retro/scifi style it's based on is inherently generic. Right?

screen_1.gif
screen_2.gif
screen_3.gif
screen_4.gif
screen_5.gif
screen_6.gif

GBA-b-tetuwanAtom.jpg

Oops. :p

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I can't understand anyone not having fun with this game. It's such a great playing series and they keep improving it. I agree that it doesn't have the best art, but it's passable, the graphical quality is superb and the fun factor is 10x any platformer released this gen. I'll be picking it up sometime this holiday season or early next year for sure.

jarrod said:
Oh I get it... R&C's artwork looks generic only because the retro/scifi style it's based on is inherently generic. Right?

screen_1.gif
screen_2.gif
screen_3.gif
screen_4.gif
screen_5.gif
screen_6.gif

GBA-b-tetuwanAtom.jpg

Oops. :p

Please don't tell me you're holding that game up as having great art. Ugghh. It's a fun game and has great graphics for a GBA game. It looks like every other 2D shooter ever released.

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Please don't tell me you're holding that game up as having great art. Ugghh. It's a fun game and has great graphics for a GBA game. It looks like every other 2D shooter ever released.
So... you don't think Tezuka Osama's a great artist? You'd classify his work as generic?

I'd say R&C's real art problem is more that Insomniac seems to be from the Rare school of fuzzy design. I do like Clank though. :)

jarrod said:
So... you don't think Tezuka Osama's a great artist? You'd classify his work as generic?

I'd say R&C's real art problem is more that Insomniac seem to be from the Rare school of fuzzy design than anything. I do like Clank though. :)

I love the character designs, but the background levels are simply OK. I'd agree that the whole concept of having a "character" platform / action game, where that character (be it Mario, Sonic, Ratchet, whoever) is getting a little long in the tooth and maybe, just maybe, not completely inline with todays mainstream gamers.

However, technically this game is brilliant and the gameplay is godly, IMO :D

jarrod

Banned
sonycowboy said:
I love the character designs, but the background levels are simply OK. I'd agree that the whole concept of having a "character" platform / action game, where that character (be it Mario, Sonic, Ratchet, whoever) is getting a little long in the tooth and maybe, just maybe, not completely inline with todays mainstream gamers.

However, technically this game is brilliant and the gameplay is godly, IMO :D
Yeah, game design saves the day. R&C1-2 were insanely fun imo.

I just wouldn't be so quick to label retro/scifi as "inherently generic". Properties like Astro Boy, Adam Strange or The Iron Giant show that's not inherently the case. ;)

unkasa

Banned
jarrod said:
Yeah, game design saves the day. R&C1-2 were insanely fun imo.

I just wouldn't be so quick to label retro/scifi as "inherently generic". Properties like Astro Boy, Adam Strange or The Iron Giant show that's not inherently the case. ;)

He wasn't. He was explaining why one might call R&C "generic." I agree with him. It does conjure up that retro/sci-fi, post modern sterility that was an artistic mainstay many years ago.

jarrod

Banned
unkasa said:
He wasn't. He was explaining why one might call R&C "generic." I agree with him. It does conjure up that retro/sci-fi, post modern sterility that was an artistic mainstay many years ago.
I disagree though that retro/scifi aesthetic need be inherently "generic". None of the properties I listed are in fact, they're full of life in terms of visual sensibility... attrubting perception of R&C's "generic" artstyle to that rather the artists themselves is a cop out. Blame rests nowhere besides Insomniac for any uninspired design.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jarrod said:
Sure, but I wasn't really looking at things from a profit standpoint initially. Rather the quailty of the R&C games being higher quailty gives SCEA their real killer platform brand they've been after since losing Crash/Spyro imo. I'd rather see them give it (and maybe Sly) the sort of extended push Jak enjoys, especially since R&C is a now a bankable brand in every region. There's to much platform overlap in SCEA schedule, now that the discussion's turned this way I honestly think they'd be more profitable psuhing everything into R&C rather than having 3 competing platformers on the market simultaneously. OIt'd save massive resources and a push one brand further.
R&C and Jak have both received significant marketing consideration - more care taken with each series to make them as multi-region friendly as possible and both receive extensive advertising campaigns. I'd say that R&C and Jak are basically on equal footing in this regard, so they've both had a fair chance to establish themselves as the unequivocal sales leader either regionally or worldwide. But, in the balance, neither franchise really seems stronger than the other and sales trends based on the first two entries in both series are on the significant decline anyway. Once the sales for the 3rd game in each series are tallied for North America, they'll probably end up with 5-6 million in unit sales across 6 titles that in fact do share resources in terms of technology and they'll have solidly established bankable character IP that certainly could be co-mingled in the future.

Not what I meant. I said retro/scifi style is inherently sterile looking in many respects, which is not the same thing as generic but its my observation that some people seem to equate it as such. Personally, I very much like the retro/scifi style of the likes of Astro-Boy, Iron Giant and Sky Captain, for example.

kaching said:
R&C and Jak have both received significant marketing consideration - more care taken with each series to make them as multi-region friendly as possible and both receive extensive advertising campaigns. I'd say that R&C and Jak are basically on equal footing in this regard, so they've both had a fair chance to establish themselves as the unequivocal sales leader either regionally or worldwide. But, in the balance, neither franchise really seems stronger than the other and sales trends based on the first two entries in both series are on the significant decline anyway. Once the sales for the 3rd game in each series are tallied for North America, they'll probably end up with 5-6 million in unit sales across 6 titles that in fact do share resources in terms of technology and they'll have solidly established bankable character IP that certainly could be co-mingled in the future.

I don't think I have seen a game with more TV spots than both of the R&C commercials.
Maybe that's because they were great commercials and I noticed them more, but they were everywhere.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Yeah, I have seen TONS of R&C commercials. Those commercials were one of the few I'd actually stop and watch, whenever they came out. Extremely amusing.

jarrod

Banned
kaching said:
Not what I meant. I said retro/scifi style is inherently sterile looking in many respects, which is not the same thing as generic but its my observation that some people seem to equate it as such. Personally, I very much like the retro/scifi style of the likes of Astro-Boy, Iron Giant and Sky Captain, for example.
Well, I'd agree with that... though personally I'd say many people's distate with R&C art design lies more on the character side rather than environments also. At least that's where I'm at. :)

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
If it's any consolation, AniHawk, the rate of sale decline is greater for Jak1 -> Jak2 than it is for R&C1 -> R&C2, and if the sales decline stays the same for the 3rd entry of each series, UYA might just edge out Jak 3 in sales :)

Of course, neither would have sold over 500K in that scenario, but you take your victories where you can, I suppose.

jarrod

Banned
I remember lots of R&C1 ads, not sop mych for Going Commando. Nothing comares to the ad campaign J&D got though, I think it was advertised on television longer than any videogame yet.

Jak is worst than R+C when it comes to genericness - its the poly shading routines they use - it makes the world look flat and unalive - compare this with say supermario shine with its bright colours, fantastic water and hokey textures; sms feels more alive and vivid. Dunno; I lump it to the Playstation 2 effect - Mark of Kri had that same blandness to its visuals.

unkasa

Banned
TheGreenGiant said:
Jak is worst than R+C when it comes to genericness - its the poly shading routines they use - it makes the world look flat and unalive - compare this with say supermario shine with its bright colours, fantastic water and hokey textures; sms feels more alive and vivid. Dunno; I lump it to the Playstation 2 effect - Mark of Kri had that same blandness to its visuals.

What Playstation 2 effect? What's bland about Jak or R&C? And you're seriously not claiming SMS is more graphically impressive. lol

skip

Wyzdom said:
Great Game = 10/10 score nowadays.
If there's ever a perfect game, what will the score be? X / 10 ?

if that ever happens, which it won't, it'll be a 10/10, with text to back it up.

Axsider

Banned
Buddies, like it or not, but the Jak series pisses all over the Ratchet series.
I know, here are a lot of Jak/ND haters and a lot of R&C lovers, but I give a damn about that. I really like the Ratchet-games and I love Insomniac Games, but Ratchet has no chance against Jak. Ratchet is just about "fun", and that`s it. In Jak, you have a great story, a great atmosphere, and so on AND it makes fun!
A game without a great plot/storyline, is crap IN MY EYES.
So ok, you wanna shot funny enemies with closed eyes? Ok, play Ratchet! You want a great story and fun gamplay? Play Jak! IMO!!! ----> IMO!!!!
Yeah, you heard right, Anihawk! Go, and play Banjoe Tooie

Top Bottom