• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank : UYA scores yet another 10

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Jak is worst than R+C when it comes to genericness - its the poly shading routines they use - it makes the world look flat and unalive
Please... Technically as far as graphics go, Jak 2 is simply better than any R&C game. Jak games use a lot more textures for example, have more complex looking environments (and don't have a load pauses through those environments like R&C does) Besides, Insomniac uses same graphics engine that ND developed for Jak, except they always seem to be a step behind in the up-to-date-ness of said engine. As far as SMS, I don't know if it was you who had that discussion with me about it'visual merit compared to Jak games, but I think it's just flat out wrong, and that only thing in that comparision SMS has going on for it are it's water effects. Let's not even get started about genericness (I havent' seen characters as generic as those in SMS in long while)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
jarrod said:
Heh, Naughty Dog should just stop making games and devote their entire R&D to making engines for Insomniac games. :)

I honestly don't understand why the R&C games are so popular. :\

Not my thing...

Marconelly said:
Let's not even get started about genericness (I havent' seen characters as generic as those in SMS in long while)

we're talking visuals - look.. not character design.

and for that matter

Delphinos > Jak ver I and Jak ver II

kaching said:
If it's any consolation, AniHawk, the rate of sale decline is greater for Jak1 -> Jak2 than it is for R&C1 -> R&C2, and if the sales decline stays the same for the 3rd entry of each series, UYA might just edge out Jak 3 in sales :)

Of course, neither would have sold over 500K in that scenario, but you take your victories where you can, I suppose.

Sales decline? Not in North America. Both series' second installments just went greatest hits, and both are at a higher level of sales before going greatest hits then their first installments were at that point. Both Rand C and J and D got a large portion of their sales from greatest hits, so wait a year before talking about "sales decline".

TheGreenGiant said:
we're talking visuals - look.. not character design.

and for that matter

Delphinos > Jak ver I and Jak ver II

The animation in the Jak games is great, so that alone places them above the delphinos. The delphinos aren't generic, they're just awful.

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
Sales decline? Not in North America. Both series' second installments just went greatest hits, and both are at a higher level of sales before going greatest hits then their first installments were at that point. Both Rand C and J and D got a large portion of their sales from greatest hits, so wait a year before talking about "sales decline".

I was going to post the exact same thing. The second versions are ahead of the previous ones at comparable timeframes.

Stele

Holds a little red book
Is all this pimping due to the online options? If so, I hope the single-player doesn't get gypped. A hour estimate on that would be appreciated.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
It looks really nice, yes. You're talking about graphic quality, I'm talking about "style" and "soul". It is very bland to me, much like Donkey Kong Country for SNES looked fantastic at the time, but was bland and generic.

this is exactly how i feel about R&C2 *and* Jak2 - they look fantastic but feel 'dead' at the same time.

edit : probably posted this a little too early as i was reading :p don't get me wrong - the jak2/r&c2 games look awesome, but leave me cold in terms of any charm or style. i can't even explain what it is - but i felt the first jak game didn't suffer from this. it's just my opinion of course - i'm not saying its absolute :D

explodet

This thread needs more Japanese boxart.

scps15084.jpg

Whoo!

Drek said:
Don't be steppin' up to Kri man, that shit's HOT. Most gamers don't know what they're missing there.

Mark of Kri was the worst 14 bucks I spent all year on gaming - for a title that GAF splooged all over; It was unfun, unpretty, unengaging and most importantly it was UNFUN.
:shakes fist at all the MOK love on this forum:

definitely c- (and down) and I don't care if there's a sequel of not.

that box art for R+C japan is HIDEOUS.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
sonycowboy said:
I was going to post the exact same thing. The second versions are ahead of the previous ones at comparable timeframes.
So...you guys are saying R&C2 will see another 300K worth of sales and Jak2 another 800K? I realize they haven't had as long on the market as the first installments but that still seems overly optimistic...

Not really that farfetched. Jak and Daxter has that number after 3 years of sales; Jak 2 has been out for a year and just sold approx 35,000 the month it went greatest hits. It will continue to sell well through Christmas and through the next year at least. It will definately get close to the original at least. Ratchet and Clank Going Commando is selling even better right now, with a boost to 39,961 copies after going greatest hits. It will definately pass the original sometime next year in my opinion.

These games sell really well and for a long time as greatest hits. The original Jak and Daxter was not even at 800,000 when it went greatest hits, and look at it now.

acklame

kaching said:
So...you guys are saying R&C2 will see another 300K worth of sales and Jak2 another 800K? I realize they haven't had as long on the market as the first installments but that still seems overly optimistic...

If their predecessor is anything to go by, R&C2 will likely get more than that, since they just turned GH this month. The GH version sells consistently every month, and especially well during holiday season. If you look at R&C1 and Jak 1 in comparative timeframe, their sequel are way ahead in sales. R&C 1, then one year old game sold 150k during December 2003 to a total of 290k from the period of Sep.-Dec. 2003. J&D, a then two year old game pulled 220k from the same period. Heck even in 2004, R&C 1 pulled in another 210k and J&D with 100k so far.

It took J&D three years to reach 1.6 million, and Jak II is near 900k in a year. It'll take a while for Jak II to catch up, but I believe it will. R&C2 on the other hand will likely catch up sooner.

Socreges

Banned
I obviously don't get the R&C series. I didn't like the first, never got a chance with the second, and feel little differently with the third (demo). The control of the player gells well with the gameplay, but I still can't get used to the slippery/floaty animation. The action is executed well, but I just don't see the draw of it. Maybe I need to get further into the games to appreciate them properly or something.

I also think the art is generic (characters/environments), though still an impressive-looking game. Very, very lively. If they've done one thing well, it's create an engaging world.

PS. I haven't played the multi-player, of course

Honestly, Jak 2's story ruined the game for me. Pissed me off far more than the Haven City parts.
Ratchet and Clank might be a bit more episodic in how its story is laid out but some of the cinemas in going commando simply put kicked ass. When I fire up GC I'll take time just to view its cinemas. This all leads up to a far more entertaining, clever, intelligent story. The characters, settings, situations, and themes are far more interesting to moi.
On the other hand, I think Jak 2 had a few parts where the gameplay out striped GC's, the problem though was the game was far more inconsistant and really dragged at times. The cinemas plain sucked. The story sucked. All of the characters, every last one of them suck. The situations the characters faced=Lameness.
GC is totally tight, fun the way those genesis games like Gunstar Heroes used to be but with the trimmings I expect from this era( and the 3dness of course).
November is going to rocksor for sho-sho. Prime 2, Halo 2, R and C 3...yup :D

Axsider

Banned
Heliocentric said:
Honestly, Jak 2's story ruined the game for me. Pissed me off far more than the Haven City parts.
Ratchet and Clank might be a bit more episodic in how its story is laid out but some of the cinemas in going commando simply put kicked ass. When I fire up GC I'll take time just to view its cinemas. This all leads up to a far more entertaining, clever, intelligent story. The characters, settings, situations, and themes are far more interesting to moi.
On the other hand, I think Jak 2 had a few parts where the gameplay out striped GC's, the problem though was the game was far more inconsistant and really dragged at times. The cinemas plain sucked. The story sucked. All of the characters, every last one of them suck. The situations the characters faced=Lameness.
GC is totally tight, fun the way those genesis games like Gunstar Heroes used to be but with the trimmings I expect from this era( and the 3dness of course).
November is going to rocksor for sho-sho. Prime 2, Halo 2, R and C 3...yup :D
What? R&C doesn't even have a "real story". You think the Jak II plot sucked compared to R&C?? I don't know what you`re smoking, BROTHA

Since when are plot and story mutually exclusive ? I think the heavy plotting of Jak 2 is what actually held the story back.

(Anyways, it's futile arguing this shit since we are not going to change each others minds and both games have their fans and detractors as taste is a mysterious thing)

Axsider

Banned
Heliocentric said:
Since when are plot and story mutually exclusive ? I think the heavy plotting of Jak 2 is what actually held the story back.

(Anyways, it's futile arguing this shit since we are not going to change each others minds and both games have their fans and detractors as taste is a mysterious thing)
True! And what some people didn't understand: I really love Ratchet & Clank and INSOMNIAC GAMES. One of my favourite games/studios. Both got GOTY-scores! These "Jak/ND haters pisses me off! They are some Ratchet-fanboys/Naughty Dog haters or some poor "I hate Jak because it is famous and could damage the Mario-franchise"-Nintendroids. :D
Both are awesome games, but I prefer Jak! Great story, better charas!
A question of taste! :)

Axsider

Banned
demi said:
Hey guys check out what I bought:

what4.jpg

What should I play first?
You want an interesting story with awesome charas? Play the Jak-franchise first!
You want a "fun-shooting" platformer without a real story but a lot of action? Play Ratchet!

Gattsu25

Banned
demi: Jak 1 > R&C 1 > Jak 2 > R&C 2

I put the jak series before the r&c ones because it's not that smart to play a less fun game afterward a really fun one :b

olimario

Banned
I can't play Ratchet or Jak. I find the platforming horrible in both series.
Mario Sunshine may have its flaws, but the actual platforming/controls/etc... is the best there is.

dark10x

TheGreenGiant said:
Mark of Kri was the worst 14 bucks I spent all year on gaming - for a title that GAF splooged all over; It was unfun, unpretty, unengaging and most importantly it was UNFUN.
:shakes fist at all the MOK love on this forum:

definitely c- (and down) and I don't care if there's a sequel of not.

:(

I loved the game. I thought it was really creative and fun..

Mario Sunshine may have its flaws, but the actual platforming/controls/etc... is the best there is.

Yeah, Mario controls beautifully. I just really hate most of the levels, missions, and overall goals set out for the player. Great play mechanics with horrible game design...

olimario

Banned
I don't think the Ratchet and Jak game design is any better or any more fun.
A lot of levels are spent running and gunning and snatching up all the bolts you can find. I hit what should have been a great platforming section in the first Ratchet game, but it was so bland and so boring because of the lack of character weight and the slightly off controls.

I just don't understand why this series is praised to the high heavens.

P90

dark10x said:
Yeah, Mario controls beautifully. I just really hate most of the levels, missions, and overall goals set out for the player. Great play mechanics with horrible game design...

No one beats Miyamoto for tight control. Kojima is very good as well with tight controls. SMS's levels seemed sparse and less than inspired to me. I thought SMS is the second best platformer this gen, none the less. Not up to Miyamoto standards.

dark10x

olimario said:
I don't think the Ratchet and Jak game design is any better or any more fun.
A lot of levels are spent running and gunning and snatching up all the bolts you can find. I hit what should have been a great platforming section in the first Ratchet game, but it was so bland and so boring because of the lack of character weight and the slightly off controls.

I just don't understand why this series is praised to the high heavens.

Ah, but I wasn't attempting to argue that R&C and Jak were superior...

I was examining Mario Sunshine by itself.

Socreges

Banned
dark10x said:
Horrible, right. I'd go as far as "great" with some exceptions. Then again I've praised the game for being "like a playground in its execution" before and gotten "but I didn't want a playground", which is more understandable.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I made the horrible mistake of purchasing Jak II instead of R&C2 last year. I will not make the same mistake twice.

Go R&C3! After Christmas you shall be mine.

EDIT: Socreges you're right on the money.

TekunoRobby said:
I made the horrible mistake of purchasing Jak II instead of R&C2 last year. I will not make the same mistake twice.

Go R&C3! After Christmas you shall be mine.

EDIT: Socreges you're right on the money.

Haha, R&C ownz the Jak series many times over. R&C3 will be supah awesoma.

Mrbob

Ninja Scooter said:
Play R&C1 first, then R&C2, then take Jak 1/2 and trade them in towards credit for R&C3.

Good advice.

And if you didn't open the games you can return them for full credit which means you can get R&C3 for pennies.

Win-win situation.

dark10x

Socreges said:
Horrible, right. I'd go as far as "great" with some exceptions. Then again I've praised the game for being "like a playground in its execution" before and gotten "but I didn't want a playground", which is more understandable.

I really disliked the majority of the levels. The first two areas were very solid and enjoyable (despite some rough missions), but the later areas just fell apart and the last two or three were, I'd say, straight up BAD.

25% of the game was brilliant, but the rest was throw-away IMO...

Top Bottom