• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank : UYA scores yet another 10

AniHawk

Axsider said:
What? R&C doesn't even have a "real story". You think the Jak II plot sucked compared to R&C?? I don't know what you`re smoking, BROTHA

What sucks about Jak II's story is its characters. First, they try to make Jak a badass. How do they do that? Torture him for two years! That'll make anyone cool! Not only that, but apparently it gives him a gruff voice and muscles! Then you meet a team of people trying to save the city, but GUESS WHAT! SOMEONE IS ACTUALLY TEH BAD GUY!!11!

They try to include two love triangles: One with Kiera, Praxis's daughter, and Jak, and the other with Jak, the rebel leader, and Praxis's daughter. Do either of them get resolved or go further? No. Because that would have made at least some of the characters interesting, seeing how they'd react to each other in those given situations, but we're only treated to one cutscene each regarding those conflicts. Weak.

The whole idea of Haven City was nice, but poorly implemented. I can't remember the last city I went to that was actually a maze. People get pissed at The Wind Waker for sailing, but this has the same problem, maybe even worse because there are NEVER any warp switches to get to the other side of a city ever. It's kinda confusing considering we're in the fucking future, and there were warp points in Jak and Daxter.

The vehicles sucked. I don't care about realism. This is a fucking video game. The main character gets dark energy and turns into a Mos Eisley resident. Who cares if the vehicles don't respond like in real life?

About the secondary characters/villains like Krew and Praxis: I didn't ever hate them. I actually felt sorry for Krew because he was the only character who did feel developed and ND killed him off.

The humor was good in this game, so I liked Daxter and Pecker, along with Phil Lamar's character's "death scene."

The boss battles were weak though. Jak and Daxter had some interesting stuff, and the boss fights against Praxis in Jak II were good. I just couldn't believe how poorly handled the fights with Krew or the Metalhead leader were. It was amazing that the final boss was so basic. There was no strategy (except run and shoot) or anything fun about it.

The plot twist at the end was well done, I'll give ND credit for that.

I've got more complaints regarding specific characters and gameplay, but I'll leave it alone for now.

About Ratchet & Clank games... They never tried to be anything more than lighthearted adventures where you can blow shit up, and they're effective in that way.
The boss battles in R&C2 were as bad as Jak II's. The variety in weapons made them seem better though.

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
I really disliked the majority of the levels. The first two areas were very solid and enjoyable (despite some rough missions), but the later areas just fell apart and the last two or three were, I'd say, straight up BAD.

25% of the game was brilliant, but the rest was throw-away IMO...
Well, I'd give it alittle better than 25% (every void level was stunning) but Mario Sunshine overall was really terribly uneven. Same goes for Sonic Adventure 2 actually, both games at their best can't be touched for 3D platforming... but the low points just bring everything down (Sonic a bit moreso).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I can't remember the last city I went to that was actually a maze. People get pissed at The Wind Waker for sailing, but this has the same problem, maybe even worse

That's entirely different...

People got pissed at Wind Waker due to the fact that you could literally position the wind and just set down the controller for a while until Link reached the proper destination. There was virtually nothing to look at and nothing to do.

At least Jak 2 required actual navigation...

AniHawk

dark10x said:
That's entirely different...

People got pissed at Wind Waker due to the fact that you could literally position the wind and just set down the controller for a while until Link reached the proper destination. There was virtually nothing to look at and nothing to do.

At least Jak 2 required actual navigation...

That's not what I meant. The entire mode of transportation for both games were flawed, and brought down the general quality of the games. For both you had to go from place to place before the actual level/dungeon started up. I know Zelda games usually have this, but later they also have warp songs or something of the like to ease up travelling (they usually aren't quite as empty as TWW's world). Jak II had nothing. Nothing.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
AniHawk said:
That's not what I meant. The entire mode of transportation for both games were flawed, and brought down the general quality of the games. For both you had to go from place to place before the actual level/dungeon started up. I know Zelda games usually have this, but later they also have warp songs or something of the like to ease up travelling (they usually aren't quite as empty as TWW's world). Jak II had nothing. Nothing.

Well, whatever you meant, my problem with Wind Waker WAS exactly what I said. I hated saling for that reason...

It was almost a non-interactive experience and was extremely dull.

dark10x said:
Well, whatever you meant, my problem with Wind Waker WAS exactly what I said. I hated saling for that reason...

It was almost a non-interactive experience and was extremely dull.

sailing was okay imo.. but okay because I could zip out and get food..etc. I see how it can be non interactive. Nintendo did put the barrels in place and allowed the gamer to collect ruupees - I sent a bit of the time sailing seeing if I can score mucho money. I really didn't mind the sailing though. Made sense in the WW world ... the watering deku plants side-quest was quite anti-climatic though

The main problem was that Nintendo should have included a sail upgrade that negates the "song of changes" . Basically, a sail that doubles sail speed and is independent of wind direction. I think with ActioN Replay; you can get a cheat that does something like this. Nintendo did miss this one.

Axsider

Banned
Nice Ani. Finally a good post of you in a Jak-thread. Just the Jak-bashin' of you pisses me off. That's all! Sorry, but I love that series. I see the "flaws" , but I see the good things, too! It IS a great game, finally! I hope will give Jak 3 a chance (to play)!

AniHawk

Axsider said:
I hope will give Jak 3 a chance (to play)!

I played it at E3. It seemed to have a little from the first game (and I liked the first one- I liked the little bit of actual platforming in Jak II [and the Crash homage level]), but I think I'll wait for other people who strongly disliked Jak II to say what they thought of the game before renting/buying it. There are so many freakin' games in the next month alone, I won't have time for Jak 3 for months even if it is better than Jak II.

Axsider

Banned
AniHawk said:
I played it at E3. It seemed to have a little from the first game (and I liked the first one- I liked the little bit of actual platforming in Jak II [and the Crash homage level]), but I think I'll wait for other people who strongly disliked Jak II to say what they thought of the game before renting/buying it. There are so many freakin' games in the next month alone, I won't have time for Jak 3 for months even if it is better than Jak II.
Well, that`s fair! But talking about that what I played so far.... it is the best part of the series. Really one of the best games I've ever played. And I played a lot of games... belive me :D
But okay, give it a chance. :)

Top Bottom