• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RCT3 Poor Performance

KarishBHR

Here are my specs:

2Ghz, ATI 9800 XT (128mb), 5400rpm HD, 512 PC 2700 Ram

Why is this game choppy when I play on high?

AeroGod

I have nearly the same computer and I get choppiness too. Hopefully its just a demo thing, because the game doesnt look THAT good to justify the shitty way the game runs, even when I turn down alot of the higher effects in the water detail and whatnot.

Memles

I can't help you there...I'm on a laptop with a 32MB graphics card, and it set itself to low, turning off every graphical feature.

ive got a 9800 pro 128, xp 3000 and gig of ram game seems to run fine for me ALL MAXED (and I mean every slider cranked full right, at 1024) its not 60 but id say it stays around 30.

LakeEarth

I only got a 64 meg GeForce 4 but it works fine. It gets choppy when there are tons of people, and sometimes, for no apparent reason, but not as bad as you are saying (though I lowered my 'draw distance' sliders down a bit). Just lower the sliders and figure what's slowing you down.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
"They aren't yet...

...but they are gradually approaching that status."

That depends.

If they're playing a game that stresses their processor a lot, it doesn't matter how fast the video card is, because that 2 GHz processor will bottleneck everything.

But games that don't stress his CPU too much should run smooth.

For example, Rise of Nations doesn't look that pretty, but systems with a 2 GHz processor will run at low FPS because of the processor. It's an MMX based graphics engine...

AeroGod

shuri said:
Maybe you guys should come to the fact that your rigs are low-end?

Not really. My PC runs the H-L 2 benchmark and CS Source, FarCry, Doom 3, EQ2 and everything else under the sun out now on the near highest settings and runs it all 45+ FPS with little or no chugging. Meanwhile, RCT3 which doesnt even look all that great save for the water effects and lighting(and even still they arnt as good and the previously mentioned games) runs shitty for the most part on the medium-high settings with even the fancy shit turned off. My PC isnt the ultimate gaming rig but suffice to say it can handle its own on some of the higest end games out now. The developers of RCT3 just built a really really shitty engine or something is severly missing from the demo.

teh_pwn

I don't think the HDD would cause much in game lag. Load times, yes, but the bottleneck is probably the processor.

"The joy of the PC world..."

Yes, you have to upgrade more frequently with PCs, but it's worth it if you like RTS games, and the game he's playing. You just can't do it on consoles.

But judging by his CPU and HDD, he has a 2-3 year old system, and he's upgraded the video, which I don't think is going to help much on RCT3 because it looks like an MMX game engine, meaning it generates video with the processor mostly. MMX games have a grainy 2D/3D look to them.

If he's a big PC gamer, he should consider building a new sytem within a year.

Ranger X

teh_pwn said:
I don't think the HDD would cause much in game lag. Load times, yes, but the bottleneck is probably the processor.

"The joy of the PC world..."

Yes, you have to upgrade more frequently with PCs, but it's worth it if you like RTS games, and the game he's playing. You just can't do it on consoles.

But judging by his CPU and HDD, he has a 2-3 year old system, and he's upgraded the video, which I don't think is going to help much on RCT3 because it looks like an MMX game engine, meaning it generates video with the processor mostly. MMX games have a grainy 2D/3D look to them.

If he's a big PC gamer, he should consider building a new sytem within a year.

If i ever become a PC gamer it's because i'll be stinkin filthy rich 'cause i need to play my games in perfect conditions. This means i'm a total console gamer ;)
What's bad is that i will probably lack a good videocard to play RCT3 and i'm a FREAK of RCT2. It's very bad because i will never buy a videocard for one game even if it's the greatest one ever made...

teh_pwn

Again, I don't think it's his video card. His video card is plenty fast.

I believe it is lagging because the game appears to be using an MMX based engine. MMX is a processor instruction method that's been used since Pentium 1-2. He could have a Geforce 3 video card, which is like 3 times slower, and it would probably run the same.

I love consoles, but none of them can offer anything like Warcraft III online or, WoW. Not to mention FPS are pretty much the best on PC, aside from lacking Halo 2.

Another reason why I enjoy PC gaming is that I like the field. I'm a Computer Engineer student and building PCs is kind of like a hobby. And if you build it yourself, you'll save lots of cash and get much more powerful hardware. The only problem is that the first time can be painful if you run into something unexpected.

But that's not for everyone, I guess.

There's not much he can do to upgrade because I think he has a 400 FSB CPU core. The highest clocked core of that variety is 2.4 GHz which is hardly any faster. Clockspeed is just one of several variables in determining the speed of a processor. 400 MHz more on that core is nothing.

Although he has PC 2700 RAM which suggests a 533 FSB core, or an OC 400 FSB. But I thought Northwood 533 FSB went only as low as 2.4 GHz.

If he has a 533 FSB, then upgrading to a 3.06 GHz could be a good idea if it's cheap.

Choppy on high and my guess is RAM. Have no idea what the engine is like with this game, but Battlefield Vietnam and Far Cry finially pushed me to upgrade from 512 to 1024. Allowed me to elimiate the hiccups on the high settings.

Top Bottom