• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Reagan" film: Is it any good?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
When I think of the Clintons, I don't think of the word "sanitize."

Same. I know how he presented to the world... But I have ill feelings about him. Actually, I have ill feelings about most people in positions of power. That includes CEOs and celebrities. Some get a pass but not majority.

Gp1

Just watched.

The premise is very interesting. it follows Reagan's life through the eyes of an old KGB analyst/profiler trying to explain to a rising star in Russia's politic how Russia went from a global super power in the 70's /80 to a shadow of it's former self and how Reagan defeated the Soviet Union.

Half of the movie is Reagan before the presidency, how his "character" was forged (his involvement with the church, his infancy etc), the time where he was an staunch anti communist in SAG's presidency and how Russia try to infiltrate Hollywood, his tenure as governor and how he dealt with the protest in California etc..

And half of the movie is within his presidency and the part that "everyone knows" (the speeches, his famous tirades, his conflicts...), his relationship with Gorbachev, etc.

It's definitely a little corny, the production value is certainly on the poor side of the business (that young John Void certainly pops on the eye) and it lacks conflict a little. But if you enjoy the subject, you will enjoy the movie.

I can see what's happened here. The problem with rotten is that these 6/6.5 movies, which is a "fair" score for someone who doesn't enjoy the subject, always take a hit on with an abysmal "tomatometer" that only certifies as "fresh" something above 7.

Maybe this movie would fare better if it was a tv series (i could take more time to create some conflict, which this movie lacks.) but anything below a 5.5/6 is definitely ill will on the critic.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
If they ever make a Clinton movie, I hope they don't sanitize it. There's a lot to criticize him about as much as praise.
Yeah it would be pretty hard to do that movie without showing the womanizing for sure. But the story of the Clinton presidency is also kind of the story of Rush Limbaugh and the start of the hyperpartisan era. Clinton was in many ways just as conservative as Reagan, but still found himself met with the full force of the Republican apparatus fighting to take him down.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Just watched.

The premise is very interesting. it follows Reagan's life through the eyes of an old KGB analyst/profiler trying to explain to a rising star in Russia's politic how Russia went from a global super power in the 70's /80 to a shadow of it's former self and how Reagan defeated the Soviet Union.
I feel like the idea that the Soviet Union was somehow sustainable even with a benign external world is a bit farfetched. Even without the US opposing them I don't think they would have made it, they would have overextended themselves and collapsed in time. The important lesson, that communism (as an ideal, much less the way the USSR practiced it) is a dead end ideology, shouldn't be glossed over by saying someone had to slay it.

The critic review thing is interesting. It's pretty rare that almost ALL critics fall just on the "rotten" side to really drive down a legit 5-6.5/10 film. You can definitely see when there is some sort of external brownie points thing going on with "brave new vision, it a bit flawed" stuff still seems to hit in the 70-80% range yet a film like this does so poorly in comparison.

SF Kosmo

The critic review thing is interesting. It's pretty rare that almost ALL critics fall just on the "rotten" side to really drive down a legit 5-6.5/10 film. You can definitely see when there is some sort of external brownie points thing going on with "brave new vision, it a bit flawed" stuff still seems to hit in the 70-80% range yet a film like this does so poorly in comparison.
This isn't rare at all with niche ideologically based movies. Look at the RT for any Dinesh D'Souza movie or Christian B-movies or whatever, these are made for a specific audience that are more concerned that the film aligns with their "values" and will consume them uncritically, but which are basically unwatchable shit to anyone else.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
This isn't rare at all with niche ideologically based movies. Look at the RT for any Dinesh D'Souza movie or Christian B-movies or whatever, these are made for a specific audience that are more concerned that the film aligns with their "values" and will consume them uncritically, but which are basically unwatchable shit to anyone else.

Almost the opposite of a Tyler Perry Madea movie... Which has Christian underpinnings but isn't as bad as Dinesh's stuff ... No politics in them, just feel good (mostly) where the "bad guys" have a teachable moment and they're actual bad guys (think drug dealers, spousal abusers, etc)... But often they can be redeemed and forsake their destructive paths. It's everything those other movies aren't... I know plenty who love Madea, even atheists.

SF Kosmo

Almost the opposite of a Tyler Perry Madea movie... Which has Christian underpinnings but isn't as bad as Dinesh's stuff ... No politics in them, just feel good (mostly) where the "bad guys" have a teachable moment and they're actual bad guys (think drug dealers, spousal abusers, etc)... But often they can be redeemed and forsake their destructive paths. It's everything those other movies aren't... I know plenty who love Madea, even atheists.
I have always found Tyler Perry stuff to be more from the lineage of chitlin circuit theater than anything in film.

I don't know how much exposure most people have to them, but I grew up in Philadelphia and there was a big market for these plays, always an all black cast and an almost all black audience, and they felt a lot like what Tyler Perry does, a mix of melodrama, morality play, and slapstick comedy. It's an entirely different tradition.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I have always found Tyler Perry stuff to be more from the lineage of chit'lin circuit theater than anything in film. I grew up in Philadelphia and there were always these plays, always an all black cast and an almost all black audience, and they felt a lot like what Tyler Perry does, a mix of melodrama, morality play, and slapstick comedy. It's an entirely different tradition.

I completely agree.

SF Kosmo

I completely agree.
By the way not to get too off topic but if you want a good laugh at a shitty Christian movie that is more in the Tyler Perry tradition (or at least wishes it was), can I recommend Don't Touch if You Ain't Prayed.

One-hit-wonder CeCe Peniston ("Finally It Happened to Me") stars as a 40 year old virgin who finally meets the man of her dreams, but when he turned out to be a drug traficker who is also married, she... doubles down and continues to try to win his heart by withholding sex. It's really a marvelous movie.

I really am a connesiuer of garbage.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
By the way not to get too off topic but if you want a good laugh at a shitty Christian movie that is more in the Tyler Perry tradition (or at least wishes it was), can I recommend Don't Touch if You Ain't Prayed.

One-hit-wonder CeCe Peniston ("Finally It Happened to Me") stars as a 40 year old virgin who finally meets the man of her dreams, but when he turned out to be a drug traficker who is also married, she... doubles down and continues to try to win his heart by withholding sex. It's really a marvelous movie.

I remember having a celebrity crush on her when I was younger. I don't know what she looks like now but back then... SMOKING!!!!

And that smile... Won me over every time!

I'll have to find this movie when I get my streaming services again.

SF Kosmo

I remember having a celebrity crush on her when I was younger. I don't know what she looks like now but back then... SMOKING!!!!

And that smile... Won me over every time!

I'll have to find this movie when I get my streaming services again.
It was free on Tubi last I checked

rkofan87

Gold Member
The director is one of the worst in the business, directing such classics as Baby Geniuses and the Space Baby, Casper Meets Wendy, 3 Ninjas at High Noon Mountain, Bratz: The Movie, Cats and Dogs 3 among many others. Just take a look at his filmography and try not to laugh.

The trailer for this looked laughably bad, and audiences in general tend to like biopics even when they’re bad to mediocre so the difference in scores isn’t all that surprising. I’d say view it at your own risk.
3 ninjas is good kid cheese

rkofan87

Gold Member

wtf is this trash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom