• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rebel Moon - The Director’s Cuts [Out Now]

near

Gold Member
pePsJ1S.jpeg

For those unaware, Rebel Moon, an epic space opera from Zack Snyder was originally released in two parts and rated PG-13. Two new cuts of the film has been released as R-rated with an extended runtime. The total runtime is now at 6 hours and 17 minutes.

Director: Zack Snyder
Writer: Zack Snyder, Kurt Johnstad & Shay Hatten
Distributor: Netflix

Cast:
Sofia Boutella - Kora
Djimon Hounsou - Titus
Ed Skrein - Atticus Noble
Michiel Huisman - Gunnar
Bae Doona - Nemesis
Ray Fisher - Darrian Bloodaxe
Charlie Hunnam - Kai
Anthony Hopkins - Jimmy

Rebel Moon - Chapter One: Chalice of Blood
Runtime
: 204 minutes - original runtime was 134 minutes

Rebel Moon - Chapter Two: Curse of Forgiveness
Runtime
: 173 minutes - original runtime was 123 minutes

lOGqOqL.jpeg

Trailer:

Last edited:
Hmmm, do we think the director's cut is going to address the feedback or double down on the excesses? Do we think what was already released wasn't 100% Snyder's vision already? Do we think this is a cynical "director's cut" to milk some more views out of the project?

near

Gold Member
There is only hope left at this point, you must believe and have faith in the power of the Snyder Cut!

Edit:
Hmmm, do we think the director's cut is going to address the feedback or double down on the excesses? Do we think what was already released wasn't 100% Snyder's vision already? Do we think this is a cynical "director's cut" to milk some more views out of the project?

Snyder has already addressed this in a couple interviews. The R-rated version was always the intended vision, but it could not get made without a PG version. This was the compromise. The films were made and chopped up to fit Netflix's criteria.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
His director’s cuts tend to be a lot better. Sucker Punch, Justice League, BvS.

Not holding my breath that this will be a great movie in DC form though since he wrote it. But we’ll see. I skipped the PG-13 versions.
Nice to see I'm not alone in thinking his DC are actually a lot better than his studio cuts also Booooo!! At locking the Russia/Ukraine thread but I can see why you did

Ovek

7Member7
Why did it need a directors cut in the first place? He had full control of it with no studio meddling in the final cut.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Wasn't there a thread for the first movie? I thought I called it a bukake of space operas. I can't find that thread.

Rockondevil

I enjoy most of his movies, especially his cuts though I’m not sure if this will make it all that much better.
I’ll give it a go though. At least half a movie to see what’s different.

Why did it need a directors cut in the first place? He had full control of it with no studio meddling in the final cut.
I’m sure you could’ve read some of the comments above or interviews if you were keen but he wanted it R rated which Netflix wouldn’t allow as the original.

Last edited:

Yamisan

Never heard of the series but it kept coming up on Netflix, watched em both a few nights ago. They were mid.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I purposely didn't watched the 2 movies so that i could enjoyed ignoring the director cut even more.

Last edited:

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I'd be curious to hear impressions of those who's first time watching will be the R rated versions.
I don't think I have it in me to sit through those two movies again, even with the additional content.
The story, acting, world-building, art direction, cinematography are all too weak and derivative and I don't think a lot can be done to change that.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
3h20 for the first chapter and 2h50 for the second. 6 hours in total, not counting credits.

I'm curious, hope it's better than what I heard about the shorter versions.

near

Gold Member
Yup that's a hard R rating. I will be watching it for sure.

3h20 for the first chapter and 2h50 for the second. 6 hours in total, not counting credits.

I'm curious, hope it's better than what I heard about the shorter versions.
Based on the runtime information there's an extra 1hr 58mins of additional footage, that's an entire film.

THERE IS STILL HOPE LEFT!!!!!!!!! IN SNYDER WE TRUST!!!!!!

jason10mm

Gold Member
The way he talked about it on rogan, it's practically an entirely different plot and everything. Doubt that is the case, but seems odd netflix would finance so much just to make him cut it all. This smacks of PR more than anything, though why they would want a censored version to come out first is beyond me. I'm ok with streamers letting you pick between an edited format and the (for lack of a better term) "theatrical" version, oft times I've passed on a film when the kids are up and about just because of the language or some random nudity. Having the old TV edits available (or an AI that can do the same thing on the fly) would be nice when a film is on mostly for background.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Having the old TV edits available (or an AI that can do the same thing on the fly) would be nice when a film is on mostly for background.

The Ghostbusters limited edition set with GB, GB2, and Afterlife that came out a couple of years ago included the test screening cut of the first movie (which is 2 hours and 45 minutes and has a TON they cut including Eugene Levi's entire role) as well as the TV cuts for both GB and GB2. Real happy I pre-ordered it since Sony only did one printing and then didn't make anymore.

StueyDuck

Ugh this guy's gimmick...

Make a shit movie then add some cg blood and add the 3 shit hours that were cut for Being rubbish 🤣

Zack Snyder needs to kind of just go away now, go publish or something

StueyDuck

yes, he's cutting and censoring his movies on purpose to release them again

burning homer simpson GIF
Or

He can't make a good movie and people need to try fix it and edit it for him

Then when it drastically bombs he riles up his numpty fans that I can only assume need armbands when eating soup to get all whackadoo about 3 extra hours of the same shite that was already bad 🤣

Glad to see some people still fall for it though, good for him, he makes bank from idiots

Neolombax

Apart from a lot of dismemberment and blood, there appears to be scenes I've not seen before, like that giant blue robot...unless of course I slept through those scenes. Why bother even releasing the edited version in the first place?

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Apart from a lot of dismemberment and blood, there appears to be scenes I've not seen before, like that giant blue robot...unless of course I slept through those scenes. Why bother even releasing the edited version in the first place?
Yeah, seems odd to greenlight all those effects just to cut them. And what dies netflix care if this is a 4 hour, 6 hour, or 8 hour experience? They can package it however they want. Maybe this way cuts folks out of residuals or permits some tax deductions or something.

near

Gold Member
Or

He can't make a good movie and people need to try fix it and edit it for him

Then when it drastically bombs he riles up his numpty fans that I can only assume need armbands when eating soup to get all whackadoo about 3 extra hours of the same shite that was already bad 🤣

Glad to see some people still fall for it though, good for him, he makes bank from idiots
He has stated on multiple occasions even before the release of the PG versions that he intended to release an R-rated cut. You could argue that it’s some sort of damage control and a lot of PR to salvage a broken film. But it’s interesting how frequently this happens to him, and it’s always to the detriment of he’s reputation as a film maker. I’m inclined to believe that the types of films he always tries to create are confined to a set of rules given to him by he’s distributors, and he always finds a way to fulfil he’s intended vision for he’s projects, irrespective of the route that gets him there.

In the case of Rebel Moon whether you choose to believe it or not, was entirely filmed to be a Heavy Metal live action Sci-Fi. You don’t just accidentally have an additional 2 hours of footage added to a cut without knowing the narrative sequence before hand. Having seen part one, it felt incomplete. I thought it was awful, and there is no promise this will be any better, it could very well be shit. But please stop talking out your ass.

zv4BRtm.jpeg

Supposed to be an extremely heavy reworking to where it's something of a new movie. Though at the end of the day it's Snyder remaking Seven Samurai except with the same character types and visual designs you see in like, every space-action videogame. So...I'm not exactly optimistic, especially after having seen his "mainstream" cut.

StueyDuck

He has stated on multiple occasions even before the release of the PG versions that he intended to release an R-rated cut. You could argue that it’s some sort of damage control and a lot of PR to salvage a broken film. But it’s interesting how frequently this happens to him, and it’s always to the detriment of he’s reputation as a film maker. I’m inclined to believe that the types of films he always tries to create are confined to a set of rules given to him by he’s distributors, and he always finds a way to fulfil he’s intended vision for he’s projects, irrespective of the route that gets him there.

In the case of Rebel Moon whether you choose to believe it or not, was entirely filmed to be a Heavy Metal live action Sci-Fi. You don’t just accidentally have an additional 2 hours of footage added to a cut without knowing the narrative sequence before hand. Having seen part one, it felt incomplete. I thought it was awful, and there is no promise this will be any better, it could very well be shit. But please stop talking out your ass.

zv4BRtm.jpeg
Happens to him multiple times. Must be everyone else's fault

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Do you go original or directors cut? That’s what you have to ask yourself. I think many already saw rebel moon part 2.

Top Bottom