• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend some PSP games!

Killzone Liberation is brilliant.

I just bought The Warriors the other day, damn fun and cool. Worth getting if you haven't played it on a console.

Spiegel

Ledsen said:
So there are a lot of games that have been recommended but not put in the OP because they didn't have a screenshot or whatever, and I can't be arsed to look them all up myself. You're welcome to recommend them again:

MGS: Peace Walker

emOqW.jpg

Persona 3 Portable

oNgGJ.jpg

Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep

G9FZV.jpg

Field Commander

DGIGT.jpg

Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow

HLc3P.jpg

Pursuit Force

1XWJw.jpg

Resistance: Retribution

1ay7J.jpg

Coded Arms: Contagion

tpk7v.jpg

Gitaroo Man

2jQCH.jpg

Bounty Hounds

mjg14.jpg

Ratrat

Any of the Monster Hunters, especially Unite as of now. Best games on the system imo.
Monster-Hunter-Freedom-Unite-Impressions.jpg

But, why oh why do all MH screens look like ass? Its a glorious beauty in motion. :(

second any post containing GTA, God of War and MGS games.

soon to be released: Legend of Heroes FC&SC

legend-of-two-umds-20070418062400683_640w.jpg

Theres an incredibly intrusive anime story with unending dialogue scenes but the gameplay is strategic fun. Also the environments are very well crafted, music is pretty good.

Ledsen

Spiegel said:
tons of games

I appreciate the effort but like it says in the OP, they need some kind of description as to why they're good. I'll put them in the OP but I don't want to format and type up all of them myself.

Babalu.

Thank you thank you thank you for this thread.

i've been looking to buy a psp go and was going to make this thread later as well.

awesome.

*edited*

Ledsen

Babalu. said:
Thank you thank you thank you for this thread.

i've been looking to buy a psp go and was going to make this thread later as well.

awesome.

but are all these available on the psp go? what if i hack it to play iso's or whatever and download them from torrents? will that work...not really sure how psp go works with all that Hen stuff.

You don't talk about pirated games on GAF. You can, however, rip your UMD games using a UMD-capable PSP) and from there, put them on your PSP Go.

Great thread. I'm very tempted by Field Commander. It's $9.99 on PSN. But I'm in the middle of Oath in Felghana.

Which I need to look up a FAQ for, I'm stuck in the lava area...

jjasper

Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions. Because it is the 2nd best SRPG ever and the best isn't out for another month.

Fftpsp3.jpg

A game that deserves more love... No Heroes Allowed

No-heroes-allowed-2.jpg

The first two games were flawed heavily by unbalanced ecosystems but this third one perfects everything. Very much a game where you feel smarter over time.

-Emphasis on ecosystem and smart thinking
-Very skill based (first 30 min won't feel like it though)
-puzzle mode built in with daily puzzles
-can save game at any time for breaks

It's a very tough game but entirely worth it. Like monster hunter it's one of the few games I feel like "the shit" when I beat a level

Plus it's 9.99 and the sound and design kick ass

Eye of Judgment

26045_thumbzoom.jpg

Great game where the AI is always a bit smarter than you.

- Long game with actually strong universal wiki and back story; great art/comic style cutscenes
-lots to unlock
-great multiple deck customization
-online and local multiplayer

It's price is high now on PSN but I got it for sale at $14.99. You can get a euro umd copy for cheap though. Play the demo first though since it unlocks cards you can't unlock in the full game.

I still play it alot.

Patchwork Heroes

47821-168524-500xpatchworkheroesjpg-noscale.jpg

Fun story and nothing else on the market like it. Great style and super tense once you get into the game.

-Nothing like it
-cute story
-alot of challenge in a tight package

Sorry for multiple posts but I'm on my iPod touch doing these

Apath

All of these listed are available on PSN:

Grand Theft Auto
RIXrY.jpg

I (accidentally) bought Liberty City Stories instead of Vice City Ctories, and I've heard VCS is better. But anyhow, LCS is a slimmed down variant of the PS2 title, but still very enjoyable. It has a good short mission structure that fits the handheld nature of the game quite nicely.

Persona 3 Portable
2CL5g.jpg

Turn based RPG where you use monsters that you find and fuse together in battle called personas. You spend the day time at school doing whatever, and night time dungeon crawling. Monsters roam the halls in the dungeon, and you run around the randomly generated levels that all look the same for the most part. Has the bonus of a female story over the PS2 versions.

Wipeout Pulse
pDxY5.jpg

Great racer. A little difficult, but pretty satisfying once you get the hang of it.

Valkyria Chronicles II
HvOvN.jpg

SRPG where you take turn commanding units, moving them through the battle field and attacking enemies. Has voice overs for main cut scenes and a very nice visual style.

Other mentions:
- Ys: The Oath in Felghana
- LittleBigPlanet PSP
- Motorstorm Pacific Rift
- Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker
- Hot Shots Tennis
- Grand Theft Auto: China Town Wars
- Gran Turismo PSP
- God of War: Chains of Olympus

Ferga

RelentlessRolento said:
A game that deserves more love... No Heroes Allowed

When i heard about this game and its difficulty, i really wanted to play it but after i did.... I just really wanted to like the game but i couldn't

There's just too much luck involved in the game... I got into a really far level one time and all i needed was one more slime to complete a dragon like monster for me for my defenses but instead it took the resource out and i lost. So frustrating. haven't touched the game since then.

Ferga said:
When i heard about this game and its difficulty, i really wanted to play it but after i did.... I just really wanted to like the game but i couldn't

There's just too much luck involved in the game... I got into a really far level one time and all i needed was one more slime to complete a dragon like monster for me for my defenses but instead it took the resource out and i lost. So frustrating. haven't touched the game since then.
Worth it once you stick with it. Luck plays a part but the more you play the more control you have over the game.

Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles

2276458063_fc4850f767.jpg

castlevania-the-dracula-x-chronicles-20070827020522474_640w.jpg

Remake of CV Rondo of Blood. I wouldn't say it's better than the original, but it does have some differences if you're tired of playing RoB.

Goku Makaimura Kai

Foto+Goku+Makaimura+Kai+(Japon%E9s).jpg

kaiss.jpg

Japanese-only update to Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins. Much less focus on exploration. Limited continues, but you can get more by collecting three rings and they respawn when you die so it's not an issue. Also includes the original version if you want to torture yourself.

Thexder Neo

thexder-neo-screens-20090917093108557_640w.jpg

thexder-neo-screens-20090917093107916_640w.jpg

Mix between shmup and run n gun. Somewhat similiar to Bangaio. Difficult game at first, easy mode is there for a reason. Once you get the hang on it, it's not much trouble to beat the game on Normal. Not the longest game, but it's also $10. I have never played the original, so I don't know how it compares.

Disgaea Afternoon of Darkness.

disgaea-afternoon-of-darkness.331806.jpg

21.jpg

A SRPG that has a lot of lighthearted humor. There is a lot of things to do in this game if you are a fan of stats grinding. Prepare to sink a lot of time into the item world.

Hamblasto

If you happen to be a fan of Vocaloids, the Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA games are definitely worth importing (even at steep import prices).

Ol1J4.jpg

Project DIVA and Project DIVA 2nd are both rhythm games and they are essentially a "greatest hits" collection of songs from various Vocaloid composers.

Gameplay-wise, the closest thing I can compare it to are the Ouendan games... except with far less crazy situations, but an equally awesome soundtrack (well, again, if you're into Vocaloids). Notes appear on screen and require pressing buttons in-time with the music.

If you have to pick up one, the sequel, PJD 2nd, refines the game's mechanics and fixes most of the problems from the first one. However, the first game may be worth picking up if you can find it cheap, since there are songs there that don't appear in PJD 2nd.

Kuran

Banned
Trent Strong said:
Avoid the GTA PSP games. They just don't work with a screen that small.

Never had that problem.

Wild Arms XF

psp_wild_arms_01.jpg

Amazing turn based strategy with beautiful graphics, and a lot of challenge. A must-have if you have ever enjoyed games like Final Fantasy Tactics.

Tribute video I created with gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QpQqQ2oou8

R-Type Command

r-type-command-20080409101901017.jpg

Fantastic turn-based strategy game for fans of Nectaris/Military Madness. Hidden gem!
Great soundtrack, too.

Monster Hunter Series

Monster-Hunter-Portable-3-01.jpg

I suggest waiting for the western release for 3rd, but you have to know that this is for millions of people the sole excuse for owning a PSP, and for a reason. It's legendary.

Check out this promotional footage from the first Monster Hunter, I think it perfectly embodies the spirit of the series, and its seeing this footage way back that got me hooked on this franchise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q7Jha71SMc

I also have to mention Pursuit Force, at least the first one. It was a great tribute for fans of Chase H.Q. (I miss that series)

Trent Strong said:
Really? Liberty City Stories worked great IMHO.

Vice city sucked on it though. The smaller city in Liberty City was perfect size for short gaming bursts

RelentlessRolento said:
Really? Liberty City Stories worked great IMHO.

Vice city sucked on it though. The smaller city in Liberty City was perfect size for short gaming bursts

I've only played Vice City, and some of the missions were really frustrating because it was hard to see what was happening a lot of the time. Guess I should have gone with Liberty City.

Ledsen

Updated! Great recommendations guys, keep em coming!

Still no correctly formatted and complete posts recommending these games:

MGS: Peace Walker
Field Commander
Syphon Filter: Logan's Shadow
Pursuit Force
Resistance: Retribution
Coded Arms: Contagion
Gitaroo Man
Bounty Hounds
DJ Max series
GTA: China Town Wars
God of War: Ghost of Sparta

and others. Please post these with title, screenshot and description if you want them in the OP! Also if you see any repeats in the OP (I try to avoid them), please post about it.

Schlep

As part of the original post, you should probably denote the titles that aren't available on PSN such as most of the Square-Enix titles and Lumines 1/2.

Ledsen

Schlep said:
As part of the original post, you should probably denote the titles that aren't available on PSN such as most of the Square-Enix titles and Lumines 1/2.

I'd be happy to, could you perhaps provide a list since you seem to be familiar with the games in question?

Jay Sosa

Excellent idea to put the games in the OP!

My recommendation:

GTA: Chinatown Wars

grand-theft-auto-chinatown-wars-iphone.jpg

The driving takes some getting used to but besides that it's everything people that like the PS2 GTAs are looking for. There are rampages, sidemissions, awesome characters, superb and humourous dialogues, races and whats most important a big variety when it comes to the main storyline missions. But what really needs to be implemented in the next home console GTA is the highly addictive drug trafficking. I haven't played a mission in a few hours, only sold some acid, weed and coke (no heroin, don't sell that shit :D)

GTA Vice City Stories

grand-theft-auto-vice-city-stories-20061003022153218.jpg

To keep things short: It's my second favorite GTA (right after SA with GTA 4 being last)
It's surprisingly long for a PSP game, graphics are good, there are some slowdowns (like in almost every PS2/PSP GTA, OST is excellent, the MC maybe the second best in any game of the series and it adds some nice elements like taking over businesses to get some extra money. However I only played this on the PS2. I'm pretty sure they didn't change anything, but keep that in mind.
Popolocroisis looks and sound awesome think that's gonna be my next RPG.

StuBurns

Banned
Ledsen said:
Updated! Great recommendations guys, keep em coming!

Still no correctly formatted and complete posts recommending these games:

and others. Please post these with title, screenshot and description if you want them in the OP! Also if you see any repeats in the OP (I try to avoid them), please post about it.

Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep

Ven_Wingblade.jpg

A prequel to the Action-RPG series. It features three lengthy and intermingled campaigns, following the three lead characters, each being a host to slightly different tasks, and featuring different combat styles. Not as fine tuned in terms of difficulty as the original, but not as easy as number two. For me it has the most refined gameplay in the series, and is the best action game on PSP. The story is entirely nonsensical and completely forgettable as is the series tradition since the second game.

gowgospic2.jpg

Easily the best looking game on PSP currently. Short but sweet, the game gives you a very entertaining slice of action you've come to expect from the series. What little story that is present is quite enjoyable, it dives deeper into the source of Kratos' dysfunction and provides a hint at God life, something GoW2 cheaply denied us. It also at last brought the series to Atlantis, something they had intended since the first game.

Minsc

Gold Member
Allan Holdsworth said:
Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles

2276458063_fc4850f767.jpg

castlevania-the-dracula-x-chronicles-20070827020522474_640w.jpg

Remake of CV Rondo of Blood. I wouldn't say it's better than the original, but it does have some differences if you're tired of playing RoB.

Don't forget to mention it has the original game of RoB included as well, and most importantly a new version of SotN (with a playable Maria, new script, and redone VA, some better and worse)! :)

There's a good review of it here.

Grayman

Jay Sosa said:
Excellent idea to put the games in the OP!

My recommendation:

GTA: Chinatown Wars

grand-theft-auto-chinatown-wars-iphone.jpg

The driving takes some getting used to but besides that it's everything people that like the PS2 GTAs are looking for. There are rampages, sidemissions, awesome characters, superb and humourous dialogues, races and whats most important a big variety when it comes to the main storyline missions. But what really needs to be implemented in the next home console GTA is the highly addictive drug trafficking. I haven't played a mission in a few hours, only sold some acid, weed and coke (no heroin, don't sell that shit :D)

GTA Vice City Stories

grand-theft-auto-vice-city-stories-20061003022153218.jpg

To keep things short: It's my second favorite GTA (right after SA with GTA 4 being last)
It's surprisingly long for a PSP game, graphics are good, there are some slowdowns (like in almost every PS2/PSP GTA, OST is excellent, the MC maybe the second best in any game of the series and it adds some nice elements like taking over businesses to get some extra money. However I only played this on the PS2. I'm pretty sure they didn't change anything, but keep that in mind.
Popolocroisis looks and sound awesome think that's gonna be my next RPG.
some parts of the city run at single digit framerates even at 333mhz.

subjectively it is my least or second least favourite GTA
objectively, the framerate is a problem (and it is not in LCS)

Jay Sosa

Minsc said:
Don't forget to mention it has the original game of RoB included as well, and most importantly a new version of SotN (with a playable Maria, new script, and redone VA, some better and worse)! :)

There's a good review of it here.

Love your avatar, playing Baldurs Gate 1 right now. Always cracks me up when he screams that shit. Squeaky wheel gets the kick

some parts of the city run at single digit framerates even at 333mhz.

Ah ok, only remember having problems somewhere near the ferris wheel, they probably fixed it on the PS2.

Grayman

Jay Sosa said:
Love your avatar, playing Baldurs Gate 1 right now. Always cracks me up when he screams that shit. Squeaky wheel gets the kick

Ah ok, only remember having problems somewhere near the ferris wheel, they probably fixed it on the PS2.
that was the worst area. it seemed like it was a fairly big area to have that problem and it was also one of the best places to save. I do not remember much about performance on the rest of the map though. Maybe I will need to try VCS again, i never did finish it, i just remember really not liking it as much as lcs.

Dagon

So many great looking games.

What percentage of these games is available through the online store?

I've been out of the PSP game for a while but this thread is making me think about getting back in. I would probably get a PSP Go, though, since I don't really want to deal with UMDs anymore.

Also, how is the European online store compared with the US/Japanese ones?

Jazzem

Prinny: Can I really be the Hero?

prinny1.jpg

An excellent old school platformer with a hilarious sense of humour, tight controls/level design and a surprisingly strong soundtrack. Some folks aren't fond of the way you can't control your jumps after you leave the ground, but honestly it doesn't take long to get used to and the game is designed to accommodate it anyway. Plus it's super cheap on the UK PSN at least (can't be too much on the US one), if you enjoy this sort of game it's a must.

MYE

Combichristoffersen said:
It's a terrible game and shouldn't be recommended to anyone.

Does someone pay you to say this shit?
Damn. Every single time its mentioned...

Ratrat

Trent Strong said:

They're fine. If you managed to play GTAIV with its wretched camera and controls then there isnt much of a problem imo.

Lime

Valkyrie Profile

valkyrie-profile-lenneth-20060628063934621-000.jpg

One of the best RPGs you're going to play, *if* you use a non-spoiler FAQ for obtaining the good ending. The combat system is excellent, there's platforming, the story is good, the Japanese take on Norse mythology is interesting, and each little story for a party character is well executed. And the Yoshinari brothers' character art displayed in cutscenes/conversations is some of the best the genre has seen. E.g. (Dresden, feel free to cut it away in your OP):

thumbs_leneth_squareenix.jpg

BiggNife

Combichristoffersen said:
Ghost of Sparta is way better than Chains of Olympus, really.

It's a terrible game and shouldn't be recommended to anyone.

I'm definitely going to give GoS a shot eventually, but I still really liked CoO and I was under the impression a lot of other people did too. Huh.

Also, I loved Shattered Memories on the Wii and I don't know why you're so harsh on it. However I'm not sure how well that game would lend itself to a portable format, especially since I can't see some of the game's mechanics working well on other systems. If you have a Wii, you should play it on that instead.

Despera

Banned
Blablurn said:
i heard the dj max portable series has quite the following on GAF

032009djmax.jpg
DJ Max Portable 2 was great. Had so much fun with that game. Probably spent more time on it than on my entire PSP game collection combined.

Also, Half Minute Hero is the best RPG on the system.

Schlep

Ledsen said:
I'd be happy to, could you perhaps provide a list since you seem to be familiar with the games in question?
Looking at the original post...

Games not on the store
Crisis Core
Mega Man: Powered Up
Every Extend Extra
Legend of Heroes: FC & SC
Popolocrois
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep
Valkyrie Profile

In the store but 'hidden'
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker - for whatever reason, the game isn't listed in line with the others. If you're looking on PS3, several options are available under bundles. On the PSP, search for "peace".

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
GRADIUS PORTABLE

-Classic shmup action
-Contains high-quality arcade-version ports of Gradius 1, 2, 3, 4 and Gaiden
-Gradius Gaiden has never gotten a US release before this game, and it's one of the best games in the series
-Game can be had for extremely cheap now, and features a ton of content

gradius-portable-20060113045217660_640w.jpg

04.jpg

gradius-portable-20060113045128972_640w.jpg

GradiusPortable02.jpg

Top Bottom