• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

reducing pasta intake: advices on buying a spiralizer

andrespi

So guys,

I will tell you a story. Forgive me if my English is not perfect, it's not my first language; so forgive any mistake.

I lived for several years abroad (I'm Italian) in the UK and Australia (3 years for my degree and some other time for internship and gap year), and there I was used to eat pasta once or twice (at best) a week. Unfortunately now since about 4-5 years ago I had to come back to Italy (for several personal reasons that I can't explain easily), and I ended up eating pasta daily (mostly because there is very little choice in terms of eating, everybody eat that and it's common), and this is not making me feel healthy at all. I was eating much better when I was abroad, since I could easily find a lot more in terms of types of food to eat. I weighted less, I felt better and felt more satiated eating less. Now that instead, I ended up eating pasta daily, it doesn't satiate me enough, always have to eat a lot more of it to feel satiated (more pasta and always with another dish), it significantly increased my waist (and weight) and gives me a feeling of "overeating".

So I'm starting to reduce my pasta intake. I already removed bread (with the exception of a cheeseburger once in a while) in the last year from what I'm eating and I'm feeling much better. Now I would like to reduce pasta (to once or twice a week) and the other days replacing it with something better, especially vegetables (I already drink a cup once a day a freshly mixed fruit/vegetable smoothies but would like to eat more vegetables). I eat red meat once a week, and white meat twice a week (I also eat eggs often).

The idea now is to help me replace regular pasta (with the exception of once or twice a week) with vegetables, I'm thinking of buying a spiralizer for vegetables. Things like that:

http://spiralizerreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/pv2.jpg

51471250_Alt02

I would like to do some "pasta"-like recipes but using spiralized vegetables, so I could increase the number of vegetables I eat weekly and reduce the pasta I eat weekly. Unfortunately, regular pasta doesn't make me feel satiated and it's hypercaloric. I always have to eat a lot of it, and I end up eating too many calories daily. I'm not going to remove it completely, but I would like to reduce it to once a week.

It's hard to do it here when I said I want to reduce pasta (so not eat daily), I got shunned by a lot of Italian friends, banned from others or harassed (I'm not joking unfortunately).

When I mentioned I was going to try to cook some zucchini carbonara (so a carbonara with eggs, cheese, bacon and spiralized zucchini instead of spaghetti), I literally got insulted and harassed because, apparently, I'm offending the original recipe of carbonara. Got forced to leave an Italian community on which I used to write because apparently, I'm not Italian or worthy to be if I don't cook regular pasta daily. Some of my friends (with which i often talked on facebook) now don't even want to talk me after this (obviosuly they weren't great friends after all), but I will try to continue with a better dietary pattern anyway (and maybe try to find better friends). I would like to go back to eat what I used to eat abroad (so regular pasta once a week, with pizza once a week and then the other days other things). I know some people might disagree, but I used to feel much better when I was eating pasta only once a week (when I was abroad); it's in moments like this I feel like leaving this country. No one was offending or harassed me if I used to eat less pasta (once or twice a week).

So has anyone bought a spiralizer for vegetables? How did it go? What vegetables do you recommend? Any specific recipe you like to eat?

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Have a small pasta course then meat and vegetables?

Ive found cutting out food groups I enjoy dont work for me.
I just watch my calorie intake and eat mainly wholesome foods like meat, eggs, dairy and vegetables, but if I feel like a carbonara I will just alter my other meals that are lower calories and complete my nutritional needs.

Also don't cook as much, a 500g pack of dried spaghetti is enough for 4 portions!

However to answer your question better I love pasta, but so I dont eat loads of it Ive started eating more potatoes.

Potatoes are pretty awesome, mashed potatoes , home made oven chips( or french fries for u americans) , potato salad, jct potato the list goes on and they are more filling and healthier then pasta.

Last edited:

TFGB

I originally purchased a Lurch manual spiralizer from Lakeland a couple of years ago, but cleaning it became such a faff that I ended up sticking it back in the box and now it's hidden in a cupboard somewhere.

I then purchased the Morphy Richards electric spiralizer and it made things so much easier, both in usage and cleaning. I haven't used it loads tbh, but I've done some courgetti and betroot ribbons with it that I've used for salads. Marks and Spencer do pre-packed butternut squash spaghetti that I buy due to being so convenient, and I usually have that with a roasted red pepper sauce.

andrespi

Have a small pasta course then meat and vegetables?

Ive found cutting out food groups I enjoy dont work for me.
I just watch my calorie intake and eat maily wholesome foods like meat, eggs, dairy and vegetables, but if I feel like a carbonara I will just alter my other meals that are lower calories and complete my nutritional needs.

Also don't cook as much, a 500g pack of dried spaghetti is enough for 4 portions!
Yeah, it's just most of the time, I don't have the time to cook 3 different courses. I usually eat 1 course for each lunch/dinner. Realistically I don't have time to prepare 3 courses every day for every time I eat.

Anyway, I don't eat 500 g of pasta. that would be crazy. I usually go around 200-250 g when I eat only that, or 150 when I have meat as second course

To be honest, I don't even enjoy particularly pasta. There are a lot more foods I prefer (I miss ramen so much). But here I don't have much choice. I also live in the outskirts/suburbs, so I don't even have any ethnic restaurant that can deliver at home.

To be honest for me replacing a whole category of food is not a problem. I have already stopped eating bread (mostly at 90%) and it went pretty well.

Last edited:

andrespi

I originally purchased a Lurch manual spiralizer from Lakeland a couple of years ago, but cleaning it became such a faff that I ended up sticking it back in the box and now it's hidden in a cupboard somewhere.

I then purchased the Morphy Richards electric spiralizer and it made things so much easier, both in usage and cleaning. I haven't used it loads tbh, but I've done some courgetti and betroot ribbons with it that I've used for salads. Marks and Spencer do pre-packed butternut squash spaghetti that I buy due to being so convenient, and I usually have that with a roasted red pepper sauce.
I see, so you recommend an electric one. This thread was a good idea because I was gonna buy a manual one just to save 10-15 euros. But from what I'm seeing it's probably better to buy an electric one, even if it costs a bit more.

P.S.: when I was in the Uk I used to buy something like your butternut squash spaghetti (can't remember what it was, but it was something like that; pasta made out of vegetables), and it was amazing. Perfect alternative. Here in italy they don't exist or they are mocked.

Last edited:

God Enel

Yeah, it's just most of the time, I don't have the time to cook 3 different courses. I usually eat 1 course for each lunch/dinner. Realistically I don't have time to prepare 3 courses every day for every time I eat.

Anyway, I don't eat 500 g of pasta. that would be crazy. I usually go around 200-250 g when I eat only that, or 150 when I have meat as second course

To be honest, I don't even enjoy particularly pasta. There are a lot more foods I prefer. But here I don't have much choice. I also live in the outskirts/suburbs, so I don't even have any ethnic restaurant that can deliver at home.

To be honest for me replacing a whole category of food is not a problem. I have already stopped eating bread (mostly at 90%) and it went pretty well.

Maybe past isn't the problem at all.

I would recommend you to download myfitnesspal on your smartphone and track for a week or two everything you eat. That Means you have to weigh everything you eat, be it pasta, meat, vegetables, fruits, chocolate and whatever you drink. On most things you can scan the barcode and it will show automatically what's in there. So you get a feeling about it.

Then you can cut when you see where the problem is. 150-200grams of pasta should be about 500-800 calories. Means you have about ~1500-1200 calories left.

Cutting drastically often leads to the hit you have now after a while.

highrider

Banned
I’ve never felt that replacing foods with a low calorie/vegetable version of something like pasta works, and ultimately just frustrates me. That said there are brown rice based pastas that are pretty good. I’m a chef in an Italian restaurant so i already learned quickly I had to seriously limit pasta to keep trim. I completely pork out if I eat it regularly, although some people do fine eating it a lot. If people have a problem with you making healthy choices fuck em’. You’ll figure out what works.

andrespi

I’ve never felt that replacing foods with a low calorie/vegetable version of something like pasta works, and ultimately just frustrates me. That said there are brown rice based pastas that are pretty good. I’m a chef in an Italian restaurant so i already learned quickly I had to seriously limit pasta to keep trim. I completely pork out if I eat it regularly, although some people do fine eating it a lot. If people have a problem with you making healthy choices fuck em’. You’ll figure out what works.

I did see some of these pasta you mention (never tried until now). They don't sell it at regular supermarkets where I live (brown rice pasta), but I saw them in a niche specialized organic store nearby. In there they do sell brown rice pasta and especially legumes pasta (made out of legumes). I could try them also. I also will have to try to see if it makes me feel more satiated instead of regular pasta, so that I can easily eat smaller portions of pasta. I was leaning towards spiralizing vegetables, mostly because legumes pasta here is very pricey, and thought it was a better alternative.

About my friends: I was shocked too by their reactions. Apparently, for a few of them, it's a crime to make a variation of pasta recipes. I'm probably better off without them. One of them said I should be ashamed to dare to put vegetable inside a carbonara.

Another of them even stated that it's not healthy (not to eat pasta regularly daily). One even said that apparently, the only good way of eating is that pasta and bread should constitute two-thirds of what you eat daily, which would be crazy for me (maybe for someone works, but for me it would be terrible since it doesn't really make me feel satiated). They didn't even believe me when I said that when I was abroad I lived, for several years, with pasta just once or twice a week.

I discovered a side of them, which was crazy insane and I didn't know before. Seemed like being in a fantasy world, getting harassed for something like this.

Last edited:

TFGB

I see, so you recommend an electric one. This thread was a good idea because I was gonna buy a manual one just to save 10-15 euros. But from what I'm seeing it's probably better to buy an electric one, even if it costs a bit more.
I think I paid about £35 for my manual spiralizer, and the Morphy Richards electric one was only £30!

I’m a bit shocked at your friends’ reaction to giving up pasta...are you sure it’s not a wind up?

I love pasta (and had some incredible dishes in Venice and Lake Garda last summer) but I’m on a low carb eating plan again to trim my waistline so pasta is completely off the menu, as is rice, bread, potatoes etc.

Maybe you need to educate them in some simple nutritional science and explain to them that eating pasta on a regular basis isn’t good for the body...whether you’re Italian, British or from outer Mongolia! 👍🏻

Last edited:

lil puff

I have not made a brown rice or whole wheat pasta that didn't end up tasting like sawdust al dente , or play dough texture.

I just cannot get the boil timing right, tried plenty of times when I started (attempted) going gluten free. And it's not just the boil, it has to be the right shape, and I felt like I had to cool it down to stop ii from cooking, because the time it sits in water is critical.

For everything else, substituting grains has worked well, in many cases I prefer.

For a veg grater or 'spiralizer' I know that I would not want to clean it, so I try to get most veg in during lunch where someone else will do it!

Top Bottom