• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Losing weight is really all about calorie intake

Audiophile

I've been on Keto or Cyclical Keto for the vast majority of the last 13yrs (I really struggled with weight when I was young and before all this). My solution for hunger was to increase fat considerably and increase protein moderately if I felt hungry or if I wanted to break the diet [lifestyle]. I did the bulletproof coffee thing from the beginning and had at least one coffee a day w/ 40g unsalted grass-fed butter, a tsp of mct oil, 10g of coconut oil and only erythritol to sweeten. I'd have two if working and crank them up to 50g butter each if I was active. Then add a scoop of pure whey isolate with a handful of frozen berries in the evening. Rest of the diet was just steak, fish, eggs, tallow/lots more butter/avocado oil, steamed veggies intermittently and just a handful of light carbs some evenings.

I drastically increased my caloric intake (+800~ calories) one year and spent most of the time sat on my arse, yet maintained or even lost a bit of weight relative to the year before. My metabolism upregulated.

If you wanna lose weight the best approach imo is cut carbs down to 20-40g, remove all low quality PUFA oils, eat 80-120g of proper protein a day and pad your calories out with sat fat and mono unsat fat until you're full. If you're >6wks into this thing and you're still hungry your body probably needs resources to do its thing, listen to it. Do this 6-days a week then fast for one day (5pm one evening into 5pm the next, that way ~8 out of 24hrs is sleep). Then you've got an acute high calorie deficit on a high functioning metabolism that's already rigged to burn fat first and retain muscle mass. Think weekly not daily. This'll take off ~300g of fat in a week; add in some intense exercise and you'll be knocking off over a 1kg of pure fat a week consistently.

Make sure to top up on sodium, magnesium and potassium as you'll hold very little water; and in turn electrolyte turnover will be high.

However, I've had a really rough few years and pretty much fell off the wagon last year. I went from 70KG to 100KG. My caloric intake was about 60% of what it was beforehand with the above diet yet my metabolism with all the carbs and the low quality PUFAs completely tanked. I went back to the diet in February and lost 5kg (probably 80% water) in the first week. Since then in just over 4 mths I've gone from 97.4kg down to 80.7kg with the approach mentioned above.

I do the "body by science" workout just once every 7-12 days (just to maintain at the mo') and probably do 3-4 10 minute cycles a week.

I'm doubling up on fast days this week and 'll be down to 70kg in a couple months. Then I'll start putting muscle on which is extremely important for metabolism.

Constant daily calorie cutting = chronic distress and your body will partition fuel accordingly as well as adapt. But short bursts of extreme calorie cutting = acute eustress and is much more effective.

Last edited:

Danknugz

i literally had to learn what calories were in recent years due to slowing metabolism. i used to be able to eat anything and drink 6 cokes a day, granted i dont skate as much anymore but definitely counting calories now, i quit drinking soda a couple years ago and only have coconut milk with my coffee instead of cream. small but it's something's. i constsntly struggle with munchies and temptations of sugar. get behind me satan

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
beer damaged me weed helping my adition buuuuuut munchies terrible I arm a balloon

violet-willy-wonka.gif

Loosing weight doesn’t have to be a complicated thing.

Step 1: Stop eating and drinking shit, eat some fruit for fuck sake your body will thank you.
Step 2: Move your fat ass. No one is asking you to do an hour of intensive hiit classes everyday, go for a fucking walk.
Step 3: Don’t weigh yourself everyday or even once a week it’s not productive. Base your weight loss on how your clothes fit. Are they more comfortable and loose? Well done you have lost weight, keep it up.

Another hint, don’t drink protein shakes because “that’s what gym bros do after the gym”, see step 1.
As someone who started lifting a year ago and Im old, the shakes help me hit protein goals and gain muscle. Better to get only from diet, but it helps. But if you’re not focused on gains and hypertrophy, don’t bother.

Valedix

I think I've actually lost weight *fingers crossed* I do feel kinda lighter and haven't had any soft drink since Thursday (only soft drink I had was coke zero 1 can per day). My start weight was 91kg, went to max 91.9 on Tues in the morning, now being Sunday and have just gone to the toilet the scales read 90.6kg.

I don't think I've actually ever lost weight before so this has all been a mind blowing experience to me.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
It is mostly diet yes. But calories themselves is debatable. It's certain types of food that convert sugars into fat.

I use to be big into lifting and still do it moderately in my old age. I can cut down easily by just cutting sugars and carbs while doing what they call intermediate fasting today but body builders have been doing the same since the 70s.

Though I found that adding a light walk everyday helps maintain endurance during cutting. You won't feel so tired. But also it helps me because I'm big into routine and routine helps an idle mind not think about eating.

bitbydeath

I think I've actually lost weight *fingers crossed* I do feel kinda lighter and haven't had any soft drink since Thursday (only soft drink I had was coke zero 1 can per day). My start weight was 91kg, went to max 91.9 on Tues in the morning, now being Sunday and have just gone to the toilet the scales read 90.6kg.

I don't think I've actually ever lost weight before so this has all been a mind blowing experience to me.
Always check first thing in the morning, you get heavier throughout the day. Congrats!

niilokin

Get your carbs from high fiber foods only. If you really really want candy, eat it right after intense workout and preferably pure glucose candy (gummy bears got protein in them too!).

You guys need this shit
6rhQm7Cz4Uv8KL5NabSqZ0.jpg

And this
6411402975102.jpg

Last edited:

bitbydeath

How’s the weight loss going?
I just posted in another thread that I’d lost 3.2KG since making this one which reminded me to check on you.

Valedix

How’s the weight loss going?
I just posted in another thread that I’d lost 3.2KG since making this one which reminded me to check on you.
Congrats on the weight loss!

I'll just man up and be honest I couldn't keep up with my high metabolism constantly craving food/snacks around the clock, the calorie counting got tiresome and I was only able to keep it going for 2 weeks. I appreciate the checkup but it turns out that I need to speak to a professional about what's best to eat if I am to stay committed.

I still try to get a regular walk in daily, at least 10 - 20 minutes depending on the weather.

Also I'm not entirely sure I can actually lose fat and most of my weight is muscle (yeah probably copium lol).

Last edited:

Paperboy

I'll just man up and be honest I couldn't keep up with my high metabolism constantly craving food/snacks around the clock, the calorie counting got tiresome and I was only able to keep it going for 2 weeks. I appreciate the checkup but it turns out that I need to speak to a professional about what's best to eat if I am to stay committed.

I still try to get a regular walk in daily, at least 10 - 20 minutes depending on the weather.

Also I'm not entirely sure I can actually lose fat and most of my weight is muscle (yeah probably copium lol).

You'll have to fight through the cravings, there's no other way. It gets better with time. Learn to welcome and embrace the cravings, it means the body is forced to burn fat (if you don't yield to it). Don't rush if there's really no need for it, it's better to find a diet you can live with and which won't be too different right away from your current lifestyle.
Proteinshakes have gotten some hate here, but they can actually be good, if you still eat mostly real food. You can replace one meal with a proteinshake. They will keep you full for some hours (you'll have to do some fighting, though), but contain a lot less calories than an average meal (especially if you're overeating).

The only thing that worked for me was keto. Low calorie I couldnt do for more than a couple weeks, low carb Im pretty sure didnt do anything.
Keto was hard at first trying to figure out what you cant eat. But once you figure out your dishes it almost doesnt even feel like dieting. I never limited myself when eating cheeses, butter, oils, meats and bacon. I ate until I was full and yet I was losing weight.

I do it for a month and lose about 10 pounds, then I go back to eating terrible and I slowly gain everything back over the next year...

Last edited:

Madflavor

I lost 30lbs in a year by doing Intermittent Fasting. I didn't change what I eat, it's just that I got rid of Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner, and instead I eat at 10am and 6pm. Literally anybody can do it. Diets are hard because you deprive yourself of foods you enjoy. Not with IF. You're just cutting out a meal essentially.

I'm currently on the carnivore diet. A bout of depression and eating for comfort made me gain about 40 pounds this year. I've lost 12 pounds in 18 days already and I'm down 3 inches on my waist. I used to be really into health and fitness, and I'm not getting any younger, so I'm getting my life back in order. My goal is to get down to around 10% body fat and then slowly put on muscle again. When I get where I want to be weight-wise, I'm going to go back to introducing carbs and counting calories and eating relatively clean.

I recently finished a Three Day Fast. The evening of Day 2 was the hardest. By the end of the 85 hours (I went slightly above the 72 hour mark) I felt rejuvenated. Overall, through intermittent fasting, I have dropped 17 pounds this summer. I plan on starting to exercise more often. I have also given up Coca Cola which is a guilty pleasure of mine.

I’ve lost over 9KG’s now, another 6KG and I will no longer be considered “Overweight” and be back in the “Normal” range.
I Like It Good Job GIF

Good job. Keep going!

I recently finished a Three Day Fast. The evening of Day 2 was the hardest. By the end of the 85 hours (I went slightly above the 72 hour mark) I felt rejuvenated. Overall, through intermittent fasting, I have dropped 17 pounds this summer. I plan on starting to exercise more often. I have also given up Coca Cola which is a guilty pleasure of mine.
Exercise, even if you aren't doing it for weight loss, just makes everything feel better.

Aesius

I started counting calories a few days ago with the LoseIt app. It's really eye-opening to see how quickly you can reach and exceed even a slow weight loss deficit of caloric intake. Also makes it abundantly clear how wasteful liquid calories are for your daily caloric budget.

I'm currently 6' and 207 lbs, which is by far the most I've ever weighed. However, I don't look as bad as I've looked at even 195 lbs because I've been going to the gym regularly for a little over year. And while I've gotten much stronger and my clothes fit a lot better, my progress is mostly hidden a layer of fat. I'm definitely in the 20s for body fat percentage. My goal is to get down to 190 by next spring while continuing to lift 3x a week. I'd love to see some cut/definition in my arms and abs.

Raven117

It is mostly diet yes. But calories themselves is debatable. It's certain types of food that convert sugars into fat.

I use to be big into lifting and still do it moderately in my old age. I can cut down easily by just cutting sugars and carbs while doing what they call intermediate fasting today but body builders have been doing the same since the 70s.

Though I found that adding a light walk everyday helps maintain endurance during cutting. You won't feel so tired. But also it helps me because I'm big into routine and routine helps an idle mind not think about eating.
Calories in calories out. Deviate from this at your own peril. (There may be SOME logic to this, but it’s marginal compared to the simple calories in v calories out)

It’s probably more fat than you think. (It’s that way for just about all of us). 2 weeks isn’t really enough time to have your body shift into a sustained caloric deficit.. and to change its cravings.
You'll have to fight through the cravings, there's no other way. It gets better with time. Learn to welcome and embrace the cravings, it means the body is forced to burn fat (if you don't yield to it). Don't rush if there's really no need for it, it's better to find a diet you can live with and which won't be too different right away from your current lifestyle.
Proteinshakes have gotten some hate here, but they can actually be good, if you still eat mostly real food. You can replace one meal with a proteinshake. They will keep you full for some hours (you'll have to do some fighting, though), but contain a lot less calories than an average meal (especially if you're overeating).
Of course protein shakes are good if that’s your only option. Water and walking do a pretty good job of starving off the cravings (like when you get home from work).
The only thing that worked for me was keto. Low calorie I couldnt do for more than a couple weeks, low carb Im pretty sure didnt do anything.
Keto was hard at first trying to figure out what you cant eat. But once you figure out your dishes it almost doesnt even feel like dieting. I never limited myself when eating cheeses, butter, oils, meats and bacon. I ate until I was full and yet I was losing weight.

I do it for a month and lose about 10 pounds, then I go back to eating terrible and I slowly gain everything back over the next year...
Keto-schmeto. Glad you lost weight, but clearly it’s not something sustainable. (And god help anyone trying to run Keri while lifting heavy). I’m not a fan of keto, but it is effective in cutting weight quick on some bigger people
I started counting calories a few days ago with the LoseIt app. It's really eye-opening to see how quickly you can reach and exceed even a slow weight loss deficit of caloric intake. Also makes it abundantly clear how wasteful liquid calories are for your daily caloric budget.

I'm currently 6' and 207 lbs, which is by far the most I've ever weighed. However, I don't look as bad as I've looked at even 195 lbs because I've been going to the gym regularly for a little over year. And while I've gotten much stronger and my clothes fit a lot better, my progress is mostly hidden a layer of fat. I'm definitely in the 20s for body fat percentage. My goal is to get down to 190 by next spring while continuing to lift 3x a week. I'd love to see some cut/definition in my arms and abs.
You are on your way! Bet you are going to look pretty good when you get it done.

I’ve done the same, and bulked for a solid amount of time. (Over a year… almot a pound a week). Im cutting now, and even with just a little movement downward (not near what I need), clothes are already fitting better and im looking better.

bitbydeath

I’ve done the same, and bulked for a solid amount of time. (Over a year… almot a pound a week). Im cutting now, and even with just a little movement downward (not near what I need), clothes are already fitting better and im looking better.
I’m going to keep slimming for now but will look to bulk up after, any tips that worked?

tamago84

I had my fair share of under over weight…5’5” for context. grew up playing tennis and had an average build. Got into strength training and was decent shape during my hs college years. But then just went through body dysmorphia..Low as 110lb not eating enough to 150lb higher body fat%. Now i feel pretty good, 160lb 12-13% body fat. i haven’t done tracking for a long while. Just eat decent 80% and 20% enjoy in moderation.

Raven117

I’m going to keep slimming for now but will look to bulk up after, any tips that worked?
Depends on your height and where you are coming from, but the general wisdom is to gain a pound a week (this is assuming you are going heavy in the gym and really getting after those big compound lifts. Squat, deadlift, bench, overhead press.)

I’d say you can probably take it slower than that and shoot more for about a .5 increase in body weight a week. (About a 300 calorie surplus).

You will gain some fat as well as muscle but you will probably be more comfortable with the speed of the weight gain. (1 gram of protein per pound of body weight is a good place to start).

But, I would definitely suggest working out heavy on a bull and get strong AF. When you cut again, you will be so much stronger and able to move a lot more weight.

Good luck man! Enjoy the process!

I will die on this hill. I lost close to 60lb and losing weight is just a math problem. That's it.

Less calories in than out. Boom. Watch your calories and then use apps to determine how many calories you are burning in a day.

The real work is developing better eating behaviors (like no binging, no excessive snacking), establishing physical work out, and addressing what is proper portions per meal. Cut processed carbs, eat more protein and vegetables.

Now... weight training is a whole other story and process.

Last edited:

Raven117

I will die on this hill. I lost close to 60lb and losing weight is just a math problem. That's it.

Less calories in than out. Boom. Watch your calories and then use apps to determine how many calories you are burning in a day.

The real work is developing better eating behaviors (like no binging, no excessive snacking), establishing physical work out, and addressing what is proper portions per meal. Cut processed carbs, eat more protein and vegetables.

Now... weight training is a whole other story and process.
In it’s simplistic form, this is correct. (And cutting carbs is just an easy way to get under your maintenance as they are usually high calorie, taste awesome, and are readily available).

I would suggest to anyone to workout while doing this and try and keep as much muscle as possible (direct that weight loss towards fat and not as much muscle… it will eat up some muscle, this is unavoidable).

But yeah. In the end, it’s a simple math problem.

DavidGzz

Keto is just a tool to go low calorie without having to count by limiting options. Blue zones actually eat mostly carbs. These zones are the leanest and healthiest populations.

DavidGzz

In it’s simplistic form, this is correct. (And cutting carbs is just an easy way to get under your maintenance as they are usually high calorie, taste awesome, and are readily available).

The problem is people label carb sources as carb sources when they are actually very high fat+carb sources. If fat wasn't so high calorie, this wouldn't happen. Each gram of fat is 225% more calorific than a carb so the count on the package is lower, but more problem "carb" foods have just as much calories from fat.

So now carbs are vilified when actual carb sources like fruit, vegetables, and grains can be low calorie and very filling. I think potatoes have the highest satiety rating of any food.

Last edited:

Raven117

The problem is people label carb sources as carb sources when they are actually very high fat+carb sources. If fat wasn't so high calorie, this wouldn't happen. Each gram of fat is 225% more calorific than a carb so the count on the package is lower, but more problem "carb" foods have just as much calories from fat.

So now carbs are vilified when actual carb sources like fruit, vegetables, and grains can be low calorie and very filling. I think potatoes have the highest satiety rating of any food.
This is absolutely correct. Carbs and not the enemy (well, whole food non processed carbs are not your enemy), they are your friends. It’s the sneaky fats that are the real enemy.

Top Bottom