• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Losing weight is really all about calorie intake

I'm not saying the gym is a bad choice. But the statement "If you want a healthy body that'll age like wine, you should be resistance training." is so ridiculously unnuanced, and seems to imply strength training/the gym is the only good choice to get a healthy body, that I thought you should at least clarify why. Maybe it's all just misinterpretation, but my idea of having a healthy body and getting old is eating reasonably healthy and working out regularly. And that working out could be almost anything.

The "working out could be anything" cannot just be cardio activities. That was my point. I never even alluded to strength training being the only answer. Cardio only is a poor long term plan.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don't know where this idea that you could lose weight in the gym came from - if I didn't know better I would say it came from the food industry.

What you weigh is like 95% defined by what you eat and drink, period, end of story. You go to the gym/exercise for things like a healthy heart, muscle, cardio, etc., not to lose weight. It's two entirely different aspects of your health, But even then it can be dangerous, like runners often have fucked up knees.

Last edited:
I don't know where this idea that you could lose weight in the gym came from - if I didn't know better I would say it came from the food industry.

What you weigh is like 95% defined by what you eat and drink, period, end of story. You go to the gym/exercise for things like a healthy heart, muscle, cardio, etc., not to lose weight. It's two entirely different aspects of your health, But even then it can be dangerous, like runners often have fucked up knees.

Excercise can make the difference between you losing 1 pound a week or 2 pounds a week.

All you need to do is walk.

Boralf

The "working out could be anything" cannot just be cardio activities. That was my point. I never even alluded to strength training being the only answer. Cardio only is a poor long term plan.
So why not recommend swimming then? Also seems to be better for the joints. And it's a perfect combination of cardio and strength.

You kinda did allude to it.

So why not recommend swimming then? Also seems to be better for the joints. And it's a perfect combination of cardio and strength.

You kinda did allude to it.

Because swimming is a non-weight bearing excerise, which means you're not getting the required stress on your bones. It's not a replacement.

If you want a healthy body that ages like wine, you NEED strength training. This is not negotiable. No where in that sentence does that imply you only need strength training. That's a ridiculous assertation.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member

I mean...You directly lose calories with cardio or improve your metabolism and put muscles that make you consume more calories with weights so yeah training can have a direct effect on calories.

Being able to eat more calories per day is strictly related to the success of a diet for many people.

Training helps a lot to manage calories.

Training usually speed up the results and make you follow a diet more happily.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I mean...You directly lose calories with cardio or improve your metabolism and put muscles that make you consume more calories with weights so yeah training can have a direct effect on calories.

Being able to eat more calories per day is strictly related to the success of a diet for many people.

Training helps a lot to manage calories.

Training usually speed up the results and make you follow a diet more happily.
It's basic math. A vigorous workout will burn what, 500 calories? That is two slices of pizza or two doughnuts or whatever. You can't outrun your diet, it's just impossible.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It's basic math. A vigorous workout will burn what, 500 calories? That is two slices of pizza or two doughnuts or whatever. You can't outrun your diet, it's just impossible.
And those are 2 slices of pizza that you would not be able to eat without training, you eat something less caloric and it is much more food than 2 slices of pizza, being able to eat some trash food everyday is the saving grace of many people without a solid will.

Also, depends on the training, 500 calories are on the lower side, if you do both weights and cardio or even just heavy cardio you can burn double that amount, and 1000 calories traducted into healty food are a lot of food...(I mean except if you really like dried fruit or some other healty but highly caloric food)

And this is only with direct calories loss do to cardio, train with weights for at least 6 month and the muscles you put on is gonna make you burn even more calories just by staying still.

You can't outrun a diet but exercise can make it more bereable for very hungry people.

Last edited:
And those are 2 slices of pizza that you would not be able to eat without training, you eat something less caloric and it is much more food than 2 slices of pizza, being able to eat some trash food everyday is the saving grace of many people without a solid will.

Also, depends on the training, 500 calories are on the lower side, if you do both weights and cardio or even just heavy cardio you can burn double that amount, and 1000 calories traducted into healty food are a lot of food...

And this is only with direct calories loss do to cardio, train with weights for at least 6 month and the muscles you put on is gonna make you burn even more calories just by staying still.

You can't outrun a diet but exercise can make it more bereable for very hungry people.

I can eat a full pack of jaffa cakes everyday thanks to the additional cardio :messenger_weary: :messenger_ok:

diffusionx

Gold Member

Also, depends on the training, 500 calories are on the lower side, if you do both weights and cardio or even just heavy cardio you can burn double that amount, and 1000 calories traducted into healty food are a lot of food...(I mean except if you really like dried fruit or some other healty but highly caloric food)

If you are trying to lose weight, burning 500 calories and then eating 500 calories of junk food is not going to help you.

You can lose weight without eating like a monk 24/7. You just need to eat less. But you do have to eat less.

RaduN

The fuck people?

Every attempt at changing something in your daily, body-oriented routine, like say... eating less, will result in a response from the body, with survival as absolute top priority.
This means one thing and one thing alone: drastic reduction of the metabolic rate.

Yes, basically you will eat less and not lose weight, until you do start losing weight, but by then you will eat way too few calories and you will end up a fucking zombie in the long run (pun intended), and still have a god damn extra belly, 'cose tens of thousands of years of eating once a week is a motherfucker.

You want to do things properly in our modern, abundant age?

1.Boost your lazy metabolism by building muscle through strength training, do either very low (walking for longer periods) or very high (sprints, rows, whatever floats your boat) intensity cardio. Do not do moderate, it will also go into stalking the mamooth ancestral body memory zone of slow calories burning, with an added bonus of also being very catabolic.
2. Eat well, less sugars and bad fats, more good fats and much more protein. Fuel your body with quality carbs for fast access, before an intense workout.
3. Sleep like a baby and let the magic happen over night, when a well trained and properly fed body, will go into an incredibly efficient fat burning period.
4. Feel good about yourself every single day.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
If you are trying to lose weight, burning 500 calories and then eating 500 calories of junk food is not going to help you.

You can lose weight without eating like a monk 24/7. You just need to eat less. But you do have to eat less.
I was talking about adding cardio to an already pre-existent caloric deficit.

You have to eat 2000 calories per day with a 500 calories deficit from your base metabolism of 2500 cal, you burn another 500-1000 throught cardio et voila, you can eat more food every day.

Last edited:

Raven117

Wow. There are alot of...some ill-informed takes in this thread.

Weight is primarily a function of diet. As some have said, you cannot outrun a bad diet. For the average person who is not an athlete, you aren't going to burn enough calories for it really to matter a whole hell of a lot. (A little bit, sure). For some, weight loss is all that matters. But for a good portion of people, fat loss is what they are actually after.

Resistance training helps steer the "weight loss" to fat, and not muscle. You want to keep the muscle. (If running a caloric deficit, you will lose both fat and muscle, the question is how much of either).

Cardio alone is really not enough for overall health. Resistance training alone (though you can get some cardio in different types of lifting programs), is really not enough for overall health.

If you want to "build muscle" you have to be in a caloric surplus. (And that usually means gaining a little fat as well).

Trogdor1123

Completely eliminating soft drinks, sugar-filled snacks and alcohol from your life (except for the occasional social event) is a must and should the first step. You basically have to forget that soda exists. I can barely touch the stuff even at parties and family gatherings at this point.

As for the rest, cut down the carbs. Snack on fruit and nuts. Drink water, tea or coffee, and little else. Never reach for simple carbs or sugary shit for a snack. Losing the taste and the compulsion for simple sugars is essential.

I understand that it's hard for those who are already obese. The body can switch on some very nasty mechanisms once you've gone fat to make you hungry and ring alarm bells in your brain when you start losing a little weight.
It’s true. I do a “get fit fall” where I eliminate sugar and booze and then talk a 45 minute walk ever lunch. I drop tons of weight when I do it.

Diet is easily the biggest change but you need to stay active too or you risk becoming skinny fat which isn’t good either.

That’s incredible. Must have been tough. Good for you. I do 3.5 degrees on my walks and really feel it compared to 0.

Thanks :). I was determined to find a way to burn as many calories as possible without having to run because I hated running.

Past 15% Is when it really started to kill but took it slow and improved and find it's so much more sustainable than running now.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Wow. There are alot of...some ill-informed takes in this thread.

Weight is primarily a function of diet. As some have said, you cannot outrun a bad diet. For the average person who is not an athlete, you aren't going to burn enough calories for it really to matter a whole hell of a lot. (A little bit, sure). For some, weight loss is all that matters. But for a good portion of people, fat loss is what they are actually after.

Resistance training helps steer the "weight loss" to fat, and not muscle. You want to keep the muscle. (If running a caloric deficit, you will lose both fat and muscle, the question is how much of either).

Cardio alone is really not enough for overall health. Resistance training alone (though you can get some cardio in different types of lifting programs), is really not enough for overall health.

If you want to "build muscle" you have to be in a caloric surplus. (And that usually means gaining a little fat as well).

Corect but not entirely. Caloric surplus is fine and dandy until its not and youll end up like some body builders look like, you know the round guys with huge muscles and the size of their belly similar to a cannonball? You need to actually mix both caloric surplus and calorie deficit, say 4 weeks surplus 2 weeks deficit. Building muscles and having a lean body is a very long and tough process but its the best thing for your body.

Last edited:

Raven117

Corect but not entirely. Caloric surplus is fine and dandy until its not and youll end up like some body builders look like, you know the round guys with huge muscles and the size of their belly similar to a cannonball? You need to actually mix both caloric surplus and calorie deficit, say 4 weeks surplus 2 weeks deficit. Building muscles and having a lean body is a very long and tough process but its the best thing for your body.
Agreed. Depending on where you are coming from, I think the bulk phase should be longer, but yeah, you can't let that get out of control.

That said, the more muscle you gain on the bulk, the easier it is to drop weight (muscles weigh more and require calories to operate, fat does not).

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
It’s about calories out too, it’s just that people seem to struggle with the “calories in” part when they work out. Seen it many times people workout to lose weight and then just end up eating extra calories lol

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
This might seem obvious for some, but I’ve never tried to lose weight before.

Three weeks ago today I discovered I crossed 90KG’s, 90.4KG’s to be exact. That’s 199.3 pounds. Then my daughter brought home the flu and I lost my appetite for two weeks and I lost around 3KG’s.

I’ve since continued the less food diet (cause why not), and today I’m now at 85.3KG’s (188.054 pounds) that’s a 5.1KG loss (11.246 pounds) in three weeks without exercise.

I’m not advocating against exercise I will definitely get back into it, but I would have thought it was a bigger requirement to losing weight fast.

For those wondering, my diet today typically consists of:
Cereal breakfast (sometimes depending on how busy I am)
1 x protein yoghurt morning tea
1 x sandwich (2 bread, cheese, meat) for lunch
1 x protein yoghurt afternoon tea
Then whatever my wife cooks for dinner. (No restrictions)

My weight loss has been kinda like this... Less fattening foods, more fruits, oatmeal... Less bread... Only sometimes eating things that aren't healthy for me ... LOTS of water... More rest .. just smaller portions of the fattening stuff if I eat it.

I also walk 6 times a week. Not run, walk. It's more effective than most people think.

Raven117

I also walk 6 times a week. Not run, walk. It's more effective than most people think.
Its also ALOT easier on the joints.

Low Intensity Steady State (LISS) is slowly (heh) getting more popular again after everyone's flirtation with High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). The only issue with it is how long it can take.

Wildebeest

I think activity does matter somewhat because not only does it keep you healthy, but extra muscles will use energy to maintain, which otherwise would go to fat. But if you are just maintaining the same muscle mass, the activity probably does not make a big difference to shedding fat.

DavidGzz

Can you link me to a study? I’d be interested to have my mind changed

I just woke up so idk if anyone else has yet. I'm getting ready to hit the gym. I'll look something up soonish. But a couple of points. The leanest and healthiest populations of the world eat high carb. Asian countries, Italians, Blue Zones. Also the countless bodybuilders like myself. If high carbs block fat lost how do I, other bodybuilders, and athletes get so lean on 50-60% of our calories coming from carbs?

Last edited:

MikeM

Gold Member
Calories in vs calories out. Burn more calories at the gym and building muscle costs more calories so gives you a bigger buffer of intake calories.

Source: I went fron 155lbs to 220lbs and then cut to 200lbs even this summer.

bitbydeath

My weight loss has been kinda like this... Less fattening foods, more fruits, oatmeal... Less bread... Only sometimes eating things that aren't healthy for me ... LOTS of water... More rest .. just smaller portions of the fattening stuff if I eat it.

I do a mix of walking, jogging and running.
More so just for the joints to keep that flexibility.
I also have a gym park 10mins away so often do pull-ups and other exercises there.

DavidGzz

Can you link me to a study? I’d be interested to have my mind changed

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8561057/

https://thefitness.wiki/faq/what-is-more-important-for-weight-loss-calories-or-macros/

Btw, I was the same way as you from '99 to 2011. Then I heard about CICO and how it really doesn't matter what you eat if calories are counted I did my own 10-month experiment. I documented everything I ate for the whole test. I went from 220 to 182 pounds.

Here is the thread:

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141807961&page=8
^ post 239 on this page showed the before and after. I've improved since. Currently ~190 in my profile pic from today.

Last edited:
working out, helps to burn the calories. But the problem is. You want to eat more too cause you burning more. Want to lose weight. Eat less. Want to eat more tho, do more activities stuff. Or u gain weight

KrakenIPA

https://thefitness.wiki/faq/what-is-more-important-for-weight-loss-calories-or-macros/

Btw, I was the same way as you from '99 to 2011. Then I heard about CICO and how it really doesn't matter what you eat if calories are counted I did my own 10-month experiment. I documented everything I ate for the whole test. I went from 220 to 182 pounds.

Here is the thread:

^ post 239 on this page showed the before and after. I've improved since. Currently ~190 in my profile pic from today.
Damn bro, losing that muscle mass can't be an easy climb! I'm glad you are walking lighter tho ya look great haha!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Here is the thread:

I'm no health pro and I dont see myself ever getting fit since I dont exercise or eat less enough. I've been stocky in that 215-235 lb range for 20 years. But I'm fine with that. I got no other health issues and my teeth are abnormally good as I've never had a real cavity filling in my life. Only a handful of small cavity work when the dentist sees a small speck on xrays and says lets fix it now not later. And I've been eating junk food and drinking pop since I was in grade school.

Regardless, I didn't read your whole food log on the site, but I was amazed that almost all the food seemed like junk food. Which is supposed to be the complete opposite of what youre advised to eat to lose weight. You obviously worked out too so thats why youre cut.

But going by what I hear from friends and fam losing weight:

- Last meal is dinner. Dont eat before bed
- Healthy food, no junk food
- Protein is better than carbs even if calories are equal since carbs get metabolized as fat easier than protein (which is a muscle thing)
- Always eat breakfast as it's a metabolism kicker. So even though breakfast is calories, dont skip it. Eat something

One guy I know has lost weight. His trick was simple. He tried a diet where he kind of eats what he wants (or so he says), doesn't work out and only eats twice a day. Normal lunches and dinner. No breakfast, no snacks. He says he lost about 25 lb in half a year. He definitely has lost weight as I noticed and brought it up. So he told his strategy.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

I'm no health pro and I dont see myself ever getting fit since I dont exercise or eat less enough. I've been stocky in that 215-235 lb range for 20 years. But I'm fine with that. I got no other health issues and my teeth are abnormally good as I've never had a real cavity filling in my life. Only a handful of small cavity work when the dentist sees a small speck on xrays and says lets fix it now not later. And I've been eating junk food and drinking pop since I was in grade school.

Regardless, I didn't read your whole food log on the site, but I was amazed that almost all the food seemed like junk food. Which is supposed to be the complete opposite of what youre advised to eat to lose weight. You obviously worked out too so thats why youre cut.

But going by what I hear from friends and fam losing weight:

- Protein is better than carbs even if calories are equal since carbs get metabolized as fat easier than protein (which is a muscle thing)
- Always eat breakfast as it's a metabolism kicker. So even though breakfast is calories, dont skip it. Eat something

One guy I know has lost weight. His trick was simple. He tried a diet where he kind of eats what he wants (or so he says), doesn't work out and only eats twice a day. Normal lunches and dinner. No breakfast, no snacks. He says he lost about 25 lb in half a year. He definitely has lost weight as I noticed and brought it up. So he told his strategy.

"- Last meal is dinner. Dont eat before bed"- This is a myth. I would eat my largest carby meal before bed for blissful sleep. Carb coma.

"- Healthy food, no junk food"- focusing on minimally processed whole foods like fruits and vegetables is great for satiety and overall health. Enjoying "junk" or fast food in moderation can fit into a balanced diet. The challenge is definitely both mental and physical, finding that balance is important.

"- Protein is better than carbs even if calories are equal since carbs get metabolized as fat easier than protein (which is a muscle thing)"-Carbohydrates are crucial for overall health. They provide the most readily available energy and contain numerous micronutrients. Like protein, carbs are not easily converted to fat by the body. This conversion only occurs in the absence of fat intake and requires significant overeating. Fat, on the other hand, is the first macronutrient to be converted directly to body fat, requiring the fewest chemical processes.

"- Always eat breakfast as it's a metabolism kicker. So even though breakfast is calories, dont skip it. Eat something"- This is a myth. You can fast for hours or eat right away, and it will make no real difference. There can be some advantages to eating before you work out if you do partake in morning lifting for energy, but meal frequency is otherwise irrelevant to body composition. Total calories and protein are what matter.

"One guy I know has lost weight. His trick was simple. He tried a diet where he kind of eats what he wants (or so he says), doesn't work out and only eats twice a day. Normal lunches and dinner. No breakfast, no snacks. He says he lost about 25 lb in half a year. He definitely has lost weight as I noticed and brought it up. So he told his strategy." - This can definitely work since two meals would have to be enormous or to not leave you in a calorie deficit.

I eat a lot of junk too. I'm 43 and have never had a cavity either. I brush religiously.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
"- Last meal is dinner. Dont eat before bed"- This is a myth. I would eat my largest carby meal before bed for blissful sleep. Carb coma.

"- Healthy food, no junk food"- focusing on minimally processed whole foods like fruits and vegetables is great for satiety and overall health. Enjoying "junk" or fast food in moderation can fit into a balanced diet. The challenge is definitely both mental and physical, finding that balance is important.

"- Protein is better than carbs even if calories are equal since carbs get metabolized as fat easier than protein (which is a muscle thing)"-Carbohydrates are crucial for overall health. They provide the most readily available energy and contain numerous micronutrients. Like protein, carbs are not easily converted to fat by the body. This conversion only occurs in the absence of fat intake and requires significant overeating. Fat, on the other hand, is the first macronutrient to be converted directly to body fat, requiring the fewest chemical processes.

"- Always eat breakfast as it's a metabolism kicker. So even though breakfast is calories, dont skip it. Eat something"- This is a myth. You can fast for hours or eat right away, and it will make no real difference. There can be some advantages to eating before you work out if you do partake in morning lifting for energy, but meal frequency is otherwise irrelevant to body composition. Total calories and protein are what matter.

"One guy I know has lost weight. His trick was simple. He tried a diet where he kind of eats what he wants (or so he says), doesn't work out and only eats twice a day. Normal lunches and dinner. No breakfast, no snacks. He says he lost about 25 lb in half a year. He definitely has lost weight as I noticed and brought it up. So he told his strategy." - This can definitely work since two meals would have to be enormous or to not leave you in a calorie deficit.

I eat a lot of junk too. I'm 43 and have never had a cavity either. I brush religiously.
Thanks for the tips.

As for teeth, I dont brush a lot. Twice a day max. Often times just in the morning before work, and then before bed if I'm lazy I just rinse with mouthwash.

I asked my dental hygieniest why some people have good and bad teeth. Her opinion is that toothpaste doesn't really make any difference since most are the same shit but different flavor. She even said just buy the cheap stuff. She was big into flossing, but I barely floss too.

She said that a person's natural bio, enamel strength and effectiveness of their own spit is the real difference. Some people are lucky and have good shit, some people dont.

Raven117

Doing some good work debunking the myths here!

It is basically as simple as if you eat less, you lose weight. Nobody on Earth will not lose weight if they eat less even with a small amount of exercise just through basic laws of physics and energy conservation. The amount of people who claim that they are basically trans dimensional aliens and say this is not the case for them is a strange phenomenon. It might be harder for certain people due to brain differences to develop the will power to stop eating as much but that is a different thing to saying the laws of physics don't apply to you.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

This is just a myth. Obviously dont eat exactly before falling asleep cuz thats just not god for your body but as long as youre like ~2 hours youre good.

A mix of both is fine.

Not all proteins are born equal. Whey protein if you want the best stuff.

Just like the before bed, it doesnt matter really. As long as you eat healthy I've seen people who look incredible and they only eat after work/dinner.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It is basically as simple as if you eat less, you lose weight. Nobody on Earth will not lose weight if they eat less even with a small amount of exercise just through basic laws of physics and energy conservation. The amount of people who claim that they are basically trans dimensional aliens and say this is not the case for them is a strange phenomenon. It might be harder for certain people due to brain differences to develop the will power to stop eating as much but that is a different thing to saying the laws of physics don't apply to you.
Some people fuck up their metabolism by starving + exagerate cardio and even if they stay in ipocaloric + exercise the weight loss is basically inexistent or extremely slow, the body want you to survive so it enter a state of absolute conservation.
Maybe they can lose 10-15 pounds of water initially but then the metabolism slow to a crawl.

It's not even super rare, many people at the gym (especially women) do this mistake.

Many times these people start losing weight again when they start eating more.

The human body is extremely complicated.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Some people fuck up their metabolism by starving + exagerate cardio and even if they stay in ipocaloric + exercise the weight loss is basically inexistent or extremely slow, the body want you to survive so it enter a state of absolute conservation.
Maybe they can lose 10-15 pounds of water initially but then the metabolism slow to a crawl.

It's not even super rare, many people at the gym (especially women) do this mistake.

Many times these people start losing weight again when they start eating more.

The human body is extremely complicated.

https://examine.com/faq/how-do-i-stay-out-of-starvation-mode/

https://thefitness.wiki/faq/how-can-i-avoid-starvation-mode/

Starvation mode is a myth. If you think about it doesn't make logical sense for your body to all of a sudden become hyper efficient. You CAN retain water due to a stress hormone called cortisol though. So, in some cases a cheat day can have you actually lose weight on the scale because you'll drop that retention which will make up for the actual fat gain from the cheat day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom