• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Girl in Weiner sexting case lied to damage Clinton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Source: The Hill

The teenage girl who had exchanged sexually explicit text messages with former Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-N.Y.) lied about her age and political motivations to harm Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton, according to a report by the investigative news site WhoWhatWhy.

In a report published Monday, the website said the girl who exchanged the messages with Weiner was closer to 17 and not 15, as initial reports said. That also puts her above the age of consent in North Carolina, which is 16.

In addition, she and her family were also not Clinton supporters, as the girl claimed in a letter published by BuzzFeed, according to social media posts unearthed by the website. The report also says the girl initiated the contact with Weiner and then sought advice from a GOP figure behind "prior efforts to harm Weiner and other Democrats."

Slightly more at the link, but that's the relevant stuff.

This is no attempt to claim Weiner is not a complete scumbag (he is), but it is a rather interesting twist that the whole thing was basically an intentional honeypot aimed at him specifically due to his past scandals and connection to Clinton.

johnsmith

remember me
This screams of fake news.

Russell Warren "Russ" Baker, is an American investigative journalist. He is the author of a 2008 book, Family of Secrets, that outlines what it claims are connections between President George H.W. Bush and the Watergate scandal and the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. He is also the founder of WhoWhatWhy, a journalism website.

uh yeah, this is totally legit, not fishy at all

This screams of fake news.

Russell Warren "Russ" Baker, is an American investigative journalist. He is the author of a 2008 book, Family of Secrets, that outlines what it claims are connections between President George H.W. Bush and the Watergate scandal and the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. He is also the founder of WhoWhatWhy, a journalism website.

uh yeah, this is totally legit, not fishy at all

Sounds legit to me, maybe you're the fake news!

Morts

We don't need to waste time on conspiracy theories when there are so many verifiable scandals at thge moment. Call me when there's a credible source.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Even if this is true, there's still no one blame but Weiner for being such an easy target for this kind of thing. No one makes you try to fuck a 16 year old.

C.Mongler

Interesting take for sure, but how reputable is this source? Did a bit of research and here's a bit from the founder's Wiki:

He is the author of a 2008 book, Family of Secrets, that outlines what it claims are connections between President George H.W. Bush and the Watergate scandal and the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

Seems like he might be a bit of a conspiracy nut, but I'm certainly open to hear someone vouch for their credibility.

Mmm, I do love me some fake news. I'd like a little extra verification that this was an actual hit job and not just Weiner being a moron.

Iksenpets

Banned
Yeeeeeeeeeeah, add me to the "hesitant" list.

Yeah, this seems insane until someone independently verifies. The Hill is fine as far as I know, but I don't know if they're just saying the report from this WhoWhatWhy thing is out there, or if they actually did the work to confirm it.

Interesting take for sure, but how reputable is this source? Did a bit of research and here's a bit from the founder's Wiki:

Seems like he might be a bit of a conspiracy nut, but I'm certainly open to hear someone vouch for their credibility.

Well my trust in this just plunged to new lows...

gutshot

What if Clinton destroyed her village when she was a child?

tumblr_inline_nnhf47Wfjc1rku3fs_500.gif

Arkeband

Banned
Why do some of you guys just rush to post the juiciest unverified topics? It isn't like this site has karma, you just end up looking careless.

rjinaz

I'm sure Wieners lawyer didn't think to verify her age before he plead guilty...

It can be pretty complicated right? I don't know about all the specifics in this case but state lines, how communication was conducted, etc can all come into play making things illegal even if there is an age on consent.

Weiner pled guilty and surrendered to the FBI just last week. Don't need conspiracy theory nonsense on the left. Let the right make idiots of themselves chasing Seth Rich theories. Let's just deal with things that come from reputable sources.

Buzzman

Banned
Any person regardless of political affiliation has my full support in uncovering predators like Weiner. We don't need these people.

PJV3

Doesn't sound likely, I would definitely worry about the system not uncovering it, and I would want a refund from my lawyer.

tkscz

Source: The Hill

Slightly more at the link, but that's the relevant stuff.

This is no attempt to claim Weiner is not a complete scumbag (he is), but it is a rather interesting twist that the whole thing was basically an intentional honeypot aimed at him specifically due to his past scandals and connection to Clinton.

Well he still stuck his hand in the honey pot.

To be fair, I would normally be a little skeptical of this random WhoWhatWhy site, but The Hill has traditionally been pretty good about running stories like this. They aren't a clickbait rag.

So I guess I'll say my willingness to entertain this at all comes more from seeing this on The Hill.

I just generally have found The Hill to be a solid general news source outside of their frequently garbage guest editorials.

Lord Fagan

So instead of sexting with a 15 year old while in bed with his son, he was sexting with a 17 year old while in bed with his son. All after a similar sexting episode exploded all over the news, ruined his career and publicly embarrassed him and his family on a national level, yeah?

I mean...did I miss the part where he's innocent or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom