• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reportedly - October OPM Scores (Def Jam: FFNY review) - What did FABLE get?

JK :D

post courtesy of Chrisb101 at the PS2GB Forums

Scores:

Def Jam: FFNY - 4.5/5
Shell Shock: Nam '67 - 2/5
Spy Fiction - 2/5
Silent Hill 4: The Room - 4.5/5
Dance Dance Revolution Extreme - 4/5
Armored Core: Nexus - 2/5 (pwned)
Gradius V - 3.5/5
Viewtiful Joe - 4.5/5
Asterix and Obelix: Kick Buttix - 2.5/5
Astro Boy - 3/5
Hot Shots Golf Fore! - 3.5/5
The Guy Game - 1/5
Rapala Pro Fishing - 2.5/5
Cabela's Deer Hunt: 2005 Season - 4.5/5
NHL 2005 - 3.5/5
ESPN NHL 2005 - 4.5/5
Test Drive: Eve of Destruction - 4/5
SRS: Street Racing Sydicate - 3/5
Burnout 3: Takedown - 5/5 (GOTM)
NASCAR 2005: Chase For The Cup - 5/5
Gallop Racer 2004 - 4/5
Phantom Brave - 4.5/5
Dynasty Warriors 4: Empires - 4/5

Demos:

Def Jam:FFNY
Star Wars: Battlefront
Forgotten Realms: Demon Stone
Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War
Asterix and Obelix: Kick Buttix
Second Sight
Spy Fiction

Videos:

Metal Gear Solid 3 - E3 trailer
Silent Hill 4: The Room
Neo Contra
Shin Megami Tenesi: Nocturne
Call of Duty
NASCAR 2005: Chase For The Cup

On the cover: Def Jam:FFNY (there are like 10 diffrent character covers)

phew, that was long.

The demo disk rocks!

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Armored Core: Nexus - 2/5 - They need to cut the shit or in this case stop cutting, and bring online play to this series in the US.

Test Drive: Eve of Destruction - 4/5
SRS: Street Racing Sydicate - 3/5

Poor Namco.... I had high hopes for SRS once they picked it up.... oh well I'll still have to check it out.

What is with these shameful scores for HSG4 and Gradius V? I swear, I'm almost embarrassed to have ever been affiliated with videogaming journalism. I'd easily give both games the top scores in their respective genres.

AniHawk

Drinky Crow said:
What is with these shameful scores for HSG4 and Gradius V? I swear, I'm almost embarrassed to have ever been affiliated with videogaming journalism. I'd easily give both games the top scores in their respective genres.

HSG4 isn't Tiger Woods, that's why.

Silent Hill 4: The Room - 4.5/5
Gradius V - 3.5/5
Hot Shots Golf Fore! - 3.5/5

:mad

Nice to see Phantom Brave getting a good score. I haven't finished La Pucelle and there's a lot more for me to do in Disgaea, but I'll probably still get this. Burnout 3 gets another GotM, very impressive when you consider what else was being reviewed.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Man, that Test Drive demo was really indicative of the final version, it seems. Good for them. As for the NHL scores...wait for my FINAL JUDGEMENT before making any purchases folks, I'll save you money, plus the wailing and gnashing of teeth and rending of clothes, etc.

Woooo Def Jam!

DarienA

bishoptl said:
Man, that Test Drive demo was really indicative of the final version, it seems. Good for them. As for the NHL scores...wait for my FINAL JUDGEMENT before making any purchases folks, I'll save you money, plus the wailing and gnashing of teeth and rending of clothes, etc.

Woooo Def Jam!

But...but... TD is just hick racin... why would I want to do hick racin? I'm so torn... the demo was fun... but.. I don't wanna redneck racin!!!!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
bishoptl said:

Woooo Def Jam!

omg are you saying EA NHL > ESPN?! BISH, NO!!!!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Drinky Crow said:

That Gamespot review was just sad. That guy totally missed what HSG4 was trying to do. Sometimes it seems like Gamespot doesn't care how fun a game is, shouldn't that factor into the review?

Great score for Phantom Brave, only a few more days until that baby is mine.

I don't know about that Silent Hill 4 review. Thats a lot higher than most people would give it, I wonder what OPM said to justify that score.

Too high for SH4, especially compared to the other two scores. I've played about halfway through and wasn't very impressed, but maybe I'll feel differently upon completing it. I like the series a lot so this isn't survival horror hate or anything...perhaps it's just lost some impact after three releases in four years. Kinda how I felt about RE Zero.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Darien, I realize it's difficult for you to play a game with central characters that don't look like you, but try and get past the racist goggles and enjoy Test Drive for what it is - a good ol' fashioned smash 'em up racer.

*slaps DopeyFish* No, you jackass. :)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Wow, Gradius V a 3/5? Everything I've heard about this game puts it squarely in 5/5 territory...

eso76

silent hill 4 = 4,5/5 ?

No way..did they actually play it ?
SH4 s-u-c-k-s.
It's a 'tired' game. Good premise and concept, such a POOR execution.
Everything is a step back from Sh3, which wasn't great to begin with; textures, models, music...fx sound like they were pulled off a Roland Synteshizer with standard midi screaming, barking, roaring etc being played all the time.
"Game engine" and 3D engine are still the same, and it truly shows how much the concept's potential sufferend from their shortcomings.
Controls are awful, the camera is terrible, and balancing the gameplay more towards action was a huge mistake, since the 'action' part was always the worst part in the series and hasn't been improved one bit.
That said, it's pretty scary and disturbing.

I really hope they renew the series with the future installment confirmed for next gen consoles...Silent Hill started off awesome, but konami then pulled a Resident Evil and actually managed to make the series grow stale even faster than Capcom...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I will eat my own nuts if Gradius 5 ends up being worse game than SH4.

Haven't played G5, but I did play SH4, and it's just an unnecessary game. Not as pretty as SH3, and boring at that...

DarienA

Ace Combat V Demo.... and the heavens opened up.... with golden light rays shining down....

WarPig

I hope to be able to correct the grievous injustice done Gradius V in this instance. I supposed it depends on your scoring philosophy, though. In the context of the market at large, yeah, a 3.5 for Gradius is about right. Viewed within the more limited context of the side-scrolling shooter genre, it deserves more. Just depends on your point of view.

Darien: IMO, there's really no point in reviewing Armored Core anymore. I think every Armored Core review I ever wrote was basically the same damn thing -- "This is Armored Core. You already know whether you'll like it or not." I turned down the job of reviewing Nexus for GMR 'cuz I knew I wouldn't have anything useful to say about it.

Def Jam is as good as advertised. I recommend buying this issue to check out the Ice-T interview, too, it's really good.

DFS.

Bebpo

Banned
eso76 said:
silent hill 4 = 4,5/5 ?

No way..did they actually play it ?
SH4 s-u-c-k-s.
It's a 'tired' game. Good premise and concept, such a POOR execution.
Everything is a step back from Sh3, which wasn't great to begin with; textures, models, music...fx sound like they were pulled off a Roland Synteshizer with standard midi screaming, barking, roaring etc being played all the time.
"Game engine" and 3D engine are still the same, and it truly shows how much the concept's potential sufferend from their shortcomings.
Controls are awful, the camera is terrible, and balancing the gameplay more towards action was a huge mistake, since the 'action' part was always the worst part in the series and hasn't been improved one bit.
That said, it's pretty scary and disturbing.

See I'd give SH4 about a 4/5, but at the same time I'd agree with all your points. SH gameplay has always been a mess, the fighting has always sucked and the camera is not terrible but closer in the bad section than good (although I think the open areas in SH4 make the camera a bit more friendly). But look at what you wrote: Good premise and concept...it's pretty scary and disturbing. IMO SH3 didn't have any of these except for the scary part. SH4 is a return to good messed up storytelling that keeps you interested until the last minute and actually puts you in the mood to think up theories to connect the puzzle after you've finished the game. Will I ever replay it? No, but I've never replayed any of other SH games either because frankley the gameplay bleh. But at least for me, SH games aren't about the gameplay, they are about the story and cool imagery/atmosphere, and if I was basing my score mainly on that category I think a 4/5 would be warrented.

dorikyasu said:
One of the best 2D shooters I've played in a while is only worth 3.5? Especially when it is priced at mere $30? (and yes, I've played JPN ver)

I don't believe this news...

Could be because of it's difficulty. Eurogamer reviewed the Japanese version and gave it a 7 saying that whenever Konami/Treasure makes another they should take into account the casuals and not just the hardcore.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=56342

Spike

WarPig said:
I hope to be able to correct the grievous injustice done Gradius V in this instance. I supposed it depends on your scoring philosophy, though. In the context of the market at large, yeah, a 3.5 for Gradius is about right. Viewed within the more limited context of the side-scrolling shooter genre, it deserves more. Just depends on your point of view.

And that right there is why I never trust review scores.

WarPig

Spike said:
And that right there is why I never trust review scores.

I dunno if I'd call it an argument in the favor of mistrust. More like an argument for more clearly delineated review standards. It works as an argument for making your own damn mind up too, though.

DFS.

Spike

WarPig said:
I dunno if I'd call it an argument in the favor of mistrust. More like an argument for more clearly delineated review standards. It works as an argument for making your own damn mind up too, though.

DFS.

I just don't trust the actual rating, like 3.5 or 4. The actual written review is what helps me to decide on a particular title. I don't trust the numbers.

Alex

Are SH3 and 4 that much worse than SH2? I loved SH2, but everyone, including big time fans of SH1 & 2 have told me to avoid 3 & 4. Wacky.

DarienA

I thought people knew at this point in the game that the best way to judge a game isn't buy the score, but instead by reading what the reviewer says... that way you can tell if the reviewer likes things you don't and vice versa. That will give you a more accurate gauge of how you will like the game than the reviewer's score for the simple fact that you might not be looking for the same things the reviewer is.

WarPig

Spike said:
I just don't trust the actual rating, like 3.5 or 4. The actual written review is what helps me to decide on a particular title. I don't trust the numbers.

I get whatcha mean.

If I had my druthers, I'd kill the numbers entirely. Hate the fuckers. Unfortunately, that's been proven commercially non-viable.

DFS.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
People, people, people.....even though G5 was mis-scored imo, lets look at the glass being half full...

The Guy Game - 1/5

Azrael

I can't speak for Silent Hill 4, but Silent Hill 2 >>> Silent Hill 3. About the only advantage of Silent Hill 3 its more menacing and deadly monsters than the abstract, slow-moving, non-threatening creatures of Silent Hill 2, and its better graphics. Its occult plot is a regression from Silent Hill 2's excellent character development and psychological terror, like Silent Hill 1 without the subtlety or the originality. I was also put off by its extremely claustrophic nature compared to Silent Hill 1-2. The few times you are allowed outdoors in Silent Hill 3 you're kept on a very tight leash, with barriers preventing you from doing anything but take the most direct path to your next destination. The game is much more linear than the first two, and the sense of finding your way through a vast, desolate landscape is completely absent in Silent Hill 3.

That said, I think it's a fairly good game, and it's not worthless for fans of Silent Hill 1-2 to check out, but it is a disappointment coming off Silent Hill 2, which is IMO the best horror game ever made.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Shell Shock: Nam '67 - 2/5
Spy Fiction - 2/5
Armored Core: Nexus - 2/5 (pwned)
Damn! Looks like Nam '67 is a rental at best and even the long overdue changed controls for Nexus didn't save it from the 2? What didn't they like about Nexus? Same graphics since Armored Core 2 and no online play?

SolidSnakex said:
Could be because of it's difficulty. Eurogamer reviewed the Japanese version and gave it a 7 saying that whenever Konami/Treasure makes another they should take into account the casuals and not just the hardcore.

While offering different dificulty modes isn't going to break the game, keeping the purists satisfied should be the first priority. They are the publishers best advertisers. If they cut out or damage their hardcore audience NO ONE will take any notice of the game.

Deus Ex 2 is our best example of this.

The first Deus Ex was initially noticed by the hardcore audience and the journalists. Following its release, the surrounding buzz and positive word of mouth was loud enough to catch the attention of more casual audiences. While it didn't break any sales records, it sold consistantly well for months and eventually earned itself a GOTY edition and numerious budget line re-releases.

As all the info on Deus Ex 2 trickled out in the last months before its release, it became aparent to the fans that this was a very different type of game, with lots of sacrifices made to accomidate the more limited Xbox platform.

A sub-par demo confirmed this for the majority of the PC fans, many of whom lost all interest in the game. Despite good reviews and media coverage, without the initial buzz built by the scene, the interest of Xbox gamers and the more casual PC audience wasn't there.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Reviewing should be to let people who are a fan of the genre know how the game is, not to see how much the mainstream will like the game... This is why you see all this mainstream, big budget, easily-digestable games getting 9/10, 10/10, while hardcore games get pretty much ignored...

Top Bottom