• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Request for LTDs of MGS Substance Xbox and MGS TS Gamecube

Lukas

Banned
MGS sells like even bigger crap on the PC but Konami keeps porting them, from 1, 2, and now they are doing 3 for PC

bogg

They keep porting them to the pc cuz that's easy money, they dont have to pay royalties like with console's. That just my guess anyway.

Spike

Lukas, the reason that Konami publishes the games for PC is because they have a publishing deal with Microsoft. They publish Microsoft's wares in Japan, and Microsoft cuts them a nice break for their stuff.

Lukas

Banned
Spike said:
Lukas, the reason that Konami publishes the games for PC is because they have a publishing deal with Microsoft. They publish Microsoft's wares in Japan, and Microsoft cuts them a nice break for their stuff.

cough*microsoftmakesxbox*cough

Kudie

Spike said:

I did not know that Konami and MS were in a business relationship such as this, if it is true. Quite interesting. I wonder if this will ever spill over into the Xbox side of the equation.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
How does Microsoft cut them a break for the PC version if there's no licenscing fee to begin with? Are they pressing all of the DVD-ROMs?

Lukas

Banned
Even if Konami does a straight port of MGS3 to Xbox and it only sells 100,000 copies, they still make profit, so why not?

Horrible reviews and sales of Ubisofts games on the Gamecube and PS2 (look at its userbase and look at the sales of Pandora Tomorrow, R63, etc) doesnt stop them from still putting their games on those 2 platforms

I think if Konami has already brought Silent Hill 2, Silent Hill 4, Pro Evolution Soccer, DDR, and MGS2, we will see MGS3 sometime maybe like around summer 2005 on Xbox

cvxfreak

Lukas said:
Even if Konami does a straight port of MGS3 to Xbox and it only sells 100,000 copies, they still make profit, so why not?

No, they would not make a profit because it would take a lot of hard work and recoding to do an Xbox version of MGS3. 100,000 would not make up for the investment, publishing, marketing, etc.

Lukas

Banned
But MGS 3 is already in development for PC, it would not take much money to put it on Xbox

This arguement doesnt make sense since they still port it to PC, are you telling me the abysmal PC sales are making profit but Xbox sales wouldnt?

evil ways

Lukas said:
we will see MGS3 sometime maybe like around summer 2005 on Xbox

not_gonna_happen.jpg

cvxfreak

Stealth espionage action takes to the jungles in Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater for PlayStation 2.

What? This is probably a mistake as Konami's website has nothing on it and neither does GameFAQs or GameSpot.

Vargas

Sony only signed a deal with Rockstar for limited exclusivity for the GTA games. I am not sure why you listed DDR twice and did all of those other games have deals? Some games are exclusive just because a company pays for them but others are exlusive since the company just doesn't port it sort of like most of the games on your list.

cvxfreak

Lukas said:
Exclusive?

You mean just like Grand Theft Auto, DDR, Tenchu, Dynasty Warriors, Onimusha, Silent Hill, MGS2, Fatal Frame, and DDR were exclusive to PS2 ?

Grand Theft Auto III was headed to Xbox anyway. DDR (which you mention twice! LOL) is an arcade game and the Xbox game is different. Tenchu was never touted as exclusive to a large degree. Same with Dynasty Warriors, Fatal Frame and Onimusha. SH2 was known to be coming to Xbox before the PS2 game released.

Lukas said:
mgs3 is going to PC 100%

Konami's website says nothing. Everyone else except IGN says nothing. IGN has the same PS2 description. Nothing is announced.

You're free to assume though. But Silent Hill 4 is also a PC game and every reliable source has it.

Lukas

Banned
they didnt have deals but they were all "ps2 exclusive"

exclusives are going the way of the dinasour, get over it people

unless Sony OWNS Konami, you simply dont know what they will do, even if they signed a "deal" with them, Konami is free to do what they want when that deal is over

just like Splinter Cell on Xbox it was once exclusive, it even had the "only on xbox" thing on the box, but you know where that went....

Lukas said:
Exclusive?

You mean just like Grand Theft Auto, DDR, Tenchu, Dynasty Warriors, Onimusha, Silent Hill, MGS2, Fatal Frame, and DDR were exclusive to PS2 ?

The only game on that list that was specifically stated as exclusive was GTA, which it was never hidden that it was a time limited exclusive. The rest of the them were more 'exclusives' by default until they were ported, not because any deal was signed, even with MGS2.

That Konami specifically drew attention to MG3 being PS2 exclusive makes it most likely that a deal was signed.

Lukas

Banned
I recall the "only on xbox" logo on a lot of Xbox game trailers, but they were ported later on too

I even remember in the SC trailer the guy saying "ubisoft brings exclusively to the xbox"

Lukas said:
they didnt have deals but they were all "ps2 exclusive"

exclusives are going the way of the dinasour, get over it people

unless Sony OWNS Konami, you simply dont know what they will do, even if they signed a "deal" with them, Konami is free to do what they want when that deal is over

just like Splinter Cell on Xbox it was once exclusive, it even had the "only on xbox" thing on the box, but you know where that went....

Without a deal they were only exclusive by default meaning that it's not some great coup d'etat if they get ported.

Obviously Konami are free to do what they want. But that doesn't mean they'll do what you want them to.

SC was known to be a time limited exclusive pretty much from it's announcement, although MS surpressed any talk about the other versions in the run up to its release. And you are delusional if you put any faith in the 'only on...' tags that appear on boxes. It PR that is usually very tenously justified.

Memles

Lukas said:
I recall the "only on xbox" logo on a lot of Xbox game trailers, but they were ported later on too

I even remember in the SC trailer the guy saying "ubisoft brings exclusively to the xbox"

Microsoft money Hat...if people THINK its exclusive forever, they won't wait for the PS2 Version.

It's true when it airs, but not for the future.

Spike

Mooreberg said:
How does Microsoft cut them a break for the PC version if there's no licenscing fee to begin with? Are they pressing all of the DVD-ROMs?

Basically. MS does all the pressing and distro for Konami's PC products, while Konami of Japan does likewise for Microsoft of Japan.

Mooreberg said:
Apply for a job as Konami's CEO and then tell them what to do.

He wouldn't last long if he wants to release a port of a game, 6 months later, during the slowest months of the year, on a system whose follow up would be mere months from release where the previous game in the series hadn't even broken 175k a year after release, in the belief that if they sold 100k then everything would be doing great.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Lukas said:
Exclusive?

You mean just like Grand Theft Auto

Fixed.

Just because a game is on the PS2 and no other system doesn't mean that they're exclusive-by-contract, it means (usually, as is NOT the case with Rockstar) that the developer just doesn't want to bother.

Lukas
Dumb Posts Remaining Before Ban: 1

I see someone's become the flavor of the month around here...

Li Mu Bai

Banned
On the GC version of MGS: TTS, (given the amount invested into it by Konami) I would have to venture to say that it was a much more profitable endeavor for Konami than Substance. (despite MS's moneyhats) KCEJ-W spent a year recoding & transplanting it to the Box. TTS will hit 200k at least, while these are still abyssmal sales for the series, has any Konami Box game eclipsed 200k?

Laurent

I always assume that PlayStation 2 exclusivity was compared to X-Box and GameCube; a console exclusivity, not a "real" exclusivity. Wasn't Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty announced exclusively for PlayStation 2?

Anyway, interesting comparasion between MGS2:S on X-Box and MGS:TTS on GameCube. I didn't thought that the GCN game numbers would surpass those of the game on X-Box...

jarrod

Banned
DopeyFish said:
Microsoft ported Metal Gear Solid 1/2 for PC iirc. (on top of publishing that is)
Nope, just MGS1.

Li Mu Bai said:
KCEJ-W spent a year recoding & transplanting it to the Box.
Actually, they outsourced the XBox/PC versions of Substance to KCES.

Li Mu Bai said:
TTS will hit 200k at least, while these are still abyssmal sales for the series, has any Konami Box game eclipsed 200k?
Nope. And TTS will be the second game to do so on GameCube in a single region (Yu-Gi-Oh was a huge seller in the US).

Prine

Banned
Li Mu Bai said:
On the GC version of MGS: TTS, (given the amount invested into it by Konami) I would have to venture to say that it was a much more profitable endeavor for Konami than Substance. (despite MS's moneyhats) KCEJ-W spent a year recoding & transplanting it to the Box. TTS will hit 200k at least, while these are still abyssmal sales for the series, has any Konami Box game eclipsed 200k?

Uh, MGT TS was built up for GC, new cutscenes directed by some famous Jap guy, new voice recording, music etc. Substance was a simple port by a small team. its quite obvious with the amount of neglect Xbox and PC versions recieved. Im pretty sure TSS cost more to make compared to porting Substance to the Xbox.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Simply speaking - at this point, any database (such as IGN's) that has MGS3 listed for a PC, has done that by mistake. There hasn't even been a glimmer of a hint from anyone at Konami that the game is anything but PS2 exclusive (which they even prominently displayed on the various trailers) I am not saying it will not get ported, but thinking that every big Konami game will end up on PC or Xbox is simply a wishful thinking. Not that I understand why anyone would want to play MGS game on anything but PS2 considering the quality of PC and Xbox ports.

just like Splinter Cell on Xbox it was once exclusive, it even had the "only on xbox" thing on the box
Splinter Cell never had 'only on xbox' on it's box. Besides that, it was always clear that the game was going to be ported - every UBI's press releases hinted to that, and every industry rumor pointed that it's a short-timed deal with Microsoft.

lordmrw

jarrod said:
Nope, just MGS1.

Actually, they outsourced the XBox/PC versions of Substance to KCES.

Nope. And TTS will be the second game to do so on GameCube in a single region (Yu-Gi-Oh was a huge seller in the US).

Ninja Turtles I'm pretty sure has passed the 200,000 mark. It sold pretty damn well.

jarrod

Banned
Prine said:
Uh, MGT TS was built up for GC, new cutscenes directed by some famous Jap guy, new voice recording, music etc. Substance was a simple port by a small team. its quite obvious with the amount of neglect Xbox and PC versions recieved. Im pretty sure TSS cost more to make compared to porting Substance to the Xbox.
Not for Konami, Nintendo funded development primairily. And MGSS XBox had a limited exclusivity deal over Christmas.

lordmrw said:
Ninja Turtles I'm pretty sure has passed the 200,000 mark. It sold pretty damn well.
Oh yeah, forgot about TMNT. It's sold on par with the PS2 version, that makes 3 Konami GC games to break 200k.

Top Bottom