• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

Zambatoh

Also, more RE0 weird stuff:

1. Rebecca is almost completely covered in leeches on the train. Later, you find a note that implies a guy was turned into a zombie just from touching a leech. Pretty weird oversight. They could've easily still had Billy save Rebecca without her being almost completely covered by the leeches.

This is hand waved by the herb system. Using those herbs is what ultimately stops the infection.
The exception of course being Jill in RE3.

Zambatoh

Has it ever been stated or hinted as to what kind of plant Green Herbs even are? Like, scientific name and all. Just occurred to me.

There's no real explanation for them in any scientific capacity in this series.
I believe in official material it is simply stated that the herbs that grow on the Arclay Mountains are capable of fighting infectious diseases. How they show up in later games though is anyone's guess.

Bladenic

This is hand waved by the herb system. Using those herbs is what ultimately stops the infection.
The exception of course being Jill in RE3.

I get that about gameplay, but I don't think we see characters ever using herbs in cutscenes or them even being mentioned. I mean, it's really not a big deal, but at the end of the day, Rebecca should either be a zombie or she needed to donate her body to science because clearly she's immune to the T-virus (or Progenitor, or both).

Edit: missed your second post. That's fine, but again, RE0 is like the only one at least pre-5 where characters are getting injured in cutscenes but those injuries have no effect.

I get that about gameplay, but I don't think we see characters ever using herbs in cutscenes or them even being mentioned. I mean, it's really not a big deal, but at the end of the day, Rebecca should either be a zombie or she needed to donate her body to science because clearly she's immune to the T-virus (or Progenitor, or both).

Edit: missed your second post. That's fine, but again, RE0 is like the only one at least pre-5 where characters are getting injured in cutscenes but those injuries have no effect.
This would actually make a lot of sense as this is basically what happened with Jill at the end of RE5.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm just really happy Rebecca is appearing again after all of these years in the upcoming CG movie. She's been my Steam avatar ever since I made my account, and though she's dropped a few slots on my Resident Evil favorite characters (she used to be second, now I guess she's in like, 6th spot), her portrayal in this movie could push her up some.

Bladenic

After playing 0, I definitely want Revelations 3 to star Billy and Rebecca. I even envisioned the perfect scenario. First, you play as Billy detailing his escape after separating from Rebecca at the end of 0. Perhaps he stumbles on an abandoned mine in the mountains filled with creatures. They could even reuse old enemies as an homage or nostalgic throwback.

Then you switch to Rebecca. This scenario could detail what she's been doing throughout the years. Maybe set this scenario during the eclectic anti BOW formative early-mid 2000 years. I dunno, they can come up with something.

Finally, the second half of the game has the two meet by chance and get themselves in some shit. Present day or otherwise. That stage play apparently says Rebecca is a professor in Australia, no? They haven't set a game in Australia yet (I don't think) and Australia has plenty of insane creatures already. We can finally get a mutated kangaroo. Its one hit KO move can be kicking with such force that it bisects the character hit.

No thanks necessary Capcom, just make the game, thanks.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
After playing 0, I definitely want Revelations 3 to star Billy and Rebecca. I even envisioned the perfect scenario. First, you play as Billy detailing his escape after separating from Rebecca at the end of 0. Perhaps he stumbles on an abandoned mine in the mountains filled with creatures. They could even reuse old enemies as an homage or nostalgic throwback.

Then you switch to Rebecca. This scenario could detail what she's been doing throughout the years. Maybe set this scenario during the eclectic anti BOW formative early-mid 2000 years. I dunno, they can come up with something.

Finally, the second half of the game has the two meet by chance and get themselves in some shit. Present day or otherwise. That stage play apparently says Rebecca is a professor in Australia, no? They haven't set a game in Australia yet (I don't think) and Australia has plenty of insane creatures already. We can finally get a mutated kangaroo. Its one hit KO move can be kicking with such force that it bisects the character hit.

No thanks necessary Capcom, just make the game, thanks.

She's acting as a guest lecturer in an Australian university in order to investigate someone that may have been messing with the t-Virus. She's not a professor by trade, she's a B.S.A.A. advisor/operative.

Bladenic

She's acting as a guest lecturer in an Australian university in order to investigate someone that may have been messing with the t-Virus. She's not a professor by trade, she's a B.S.A.A. advisor/operative.

EVEN BETTER.

I know it won't happen but I can dream. Hey, Claire had to star in some shitty CG film before they let her return to the games, maybe Rebecca's day will come too.

I don't really want a REmake version of RE2, played the game too much over the years, RE1 was barely out 5 years before REmake, RE2 gonna end up being about 20 years.

Hoping it's the classic camera style and gameplay, but I want the game locations to be heavily redesigned like they're like completely different places from the originals. Can keep a few iconic rooms like RPD entrance, main hall, labs inner shaft, but the rest I want to be areas I'm exploring for the first time.

Puzzles need be completely switched out and overhauled, RE2 are the weakest of the series, would be good if they extended the Raccoon streets and sewer areas to not be linear sections with no puzzles also.

The bat flies around in the air, and the series' controls were never designed to fight aerial enemies that can fly way above you; plus grenade launcher was mostly useless, or at least hard to use, in the fight.

GL the best weapon for that fight.

Isn't it implied in Revelations 1 that Chris and Jill actually do like each other...?

Not by Chris and Jill, but by everything else yes.

We have Chris with Jessica, who asks him about his 'partner' Jill but he quickly shuts down that line of questioning, then we have her move to teasing him which he completely ignores, then he flat out ignores her talking to him because he busy on his computer looking for Jill, then we have her leg stretches in front of him in that stupid legless swimsuit, then she literally throws herself at him, to which he just pushes her away, then we get the "He never took the hint" "Maybe he is already taken" as he walks off with Jill.

The implication is pretty heavy, is imo a pretty big deal do all this for no reason.

Dusk Golem

I do commend Capcom for just rolling with and playing up Chris' popularity in the gay gamer community.

But we all know that Resident Evil characters are cursed just to be teases with no actual relationship progress for all of time. That or they do go a bit beyond, but never appear again and/or die.

Not by Chris and Jill, but by everything else yes.

We have Chris with Jessica, who asks him about his 'partner' Jill but he quickly shuts down that line of questioning, then we have her move to teasing him which he completely ignores, then he flat out ignores her talking to him because he busy on his computer looking for Jill, then we have her leg stretches in front of him in that stupid legless swimsuit, then she literally throws herself at him, to which he just pushes her away, then we get the "He never took the hint" "Maybe he is already taken" as he walks off with Jill.

The implication is pretty heavy, is imo a pretty big deal do all this for no reason.

I mean, Chris' and Jill's body language and interactions also don't say "They love each other in a romantic way or want to bone each other". Throughout Revelations, despite those "hints", Chris and Jill acted more like best friends who really trust each other yet aren't really sexually/romantically attracted to each other. And it's not like Capcom doesn't know how to convey that. Leon is clearly attracted to Ada or at least who he thinks Ada is and Sherry and Jake are also clearly interested in one another. Jill and Chris just don't give off that vibe in Revelations or RE 5. It seemed more like a joke to me. Like everyone assumes Chris cares so much for Jill because they are romantically interested yet Chris is constantly like "Huh? I just want to save my partner" and is completely oblivious to everyone's suggestions (if I remember correctly, Chris was becoming more and more annoyed with Jessica because of her overt flirting during a mission to save his partner and constant complaining anyway when he pushed her away).

Or Chris and Jill have the chemistry of a sack of potatoes if they are, in fact, supposed to be hinted at being an item.

I mean, Chris' and Jill's body language and interactions also don't say "They want to bone each other". Throughout Revelations, despite those "hints", Chris and Jill acted more like best friends who really trust each other yet aren't really sexually attracted to each other. And it's not like Capcom doesn't know how to convey that. Leon is clearly attracted to Ada or at least who he thinks Ada is and Sherry and Jake are also clearly interested in one another. Jill and Chris just don't give off that vibe in Revelations or RE 5. It seemed more like a joke to me. Like everyone assumes Chris cares so much for Jill because they are romantically interested yet Chris is constantly like "Huh? I just want to save my partner" and is completely oblivious to everyone's suggestions (if I remember correctly, Chris was becoming more and more annoyed with Jessica because of her overt flirting during a mission to save his partner and constant complaining anyway when he pushed her away).

Or Chris and Jill have the chemistry of a sack of beets.

Exactly. I've always seen Jill and Chris as in a brotherly/sisterly relationship.

I mean, Chris' and Jill's body language and interactions also don't say "They love each other in a romantic way or want to bone each other". Throughout Revelations, despite those "hints", Chris and Jill acted more like best friends who really trust each other yet aren't really sexually/romantically attracted to each other. And it's not like Capcom doesn't know how to convey that. Leon is clearly attracted to Ada or at least who he thinks Ada is and Sherry and Jake are also clearly interested in one another. Jill and Chris just don't give off that vibe in Revelations or RE 5. It seemed more like a joke to me. Like everyone assumes Chris cares so much for Jill because they are romantically interested yet Chris is constantly like "Huh? I just want to save my partner" and is completely oblivious to everyone's suggestions (if I remember correctly, Chris was becoming more and more annoyed with Jessica because of her overt flirting during a mission to save his partner and constant complaining anyway when he pushed her away).

Or Chris and Jill have the chemistry of a sack of potatoes if they are, in fact, supposed to be hinted at being an item.

Or they're just professionals when at work. Except for in RE5 when Chris was willing to let the world burn to stay with Jill until she talked sense into him.

Jill: "If Wesker succeeds, Uroborus will be spread across the globe, millions will die."
Chris: "Well yeah, but..."

Well
yeah,
but...

I'm genuinely curious what he was gonna follow that 'but' up with.

Or they're just professionals when at work. Except for in RE5 when Chris was willing to let the world burn to stay with Jill until she talked sense into him.

Jill: "If Wesker succeeds, Uroborus will be spread across the globe, millions will die."
Chris: "Well yeah, but..."

Well yeah, but...

I'm genuinely curious what he was gonna follow that 'but' up with.

Granted, I don't remember RE 5 the best since I played it once four years ago and didn't particularly enjoy it at the time (was hoping the give it a second go with the remaster since it took a second try of Resident Evil 6 before the gameplay clicked). However, Chris also completely lost his composure when his men were infected in RE 6 to the point he became a washed up, drunken asshole ("Listen Sweetheart, you're here to look pretty and pour drinks" and nearly smashed a guy's face in when they try to toss him out of the bar); let Carla fuck with his head so badly that he acted irrationally, lost his men again, and pulled a gun on Leon; and was going to retire before Piers asked him to stay before dying. Chris just seems like a very personal guy who doesn't take loss very well which is a bad thing for his line of work, which was what his character arc in RE 6 was all about.

From what I remember about the cutscene, it just seems Chris really doesn't want to leave a friend (granted the "yeah but" really was dumb since millions of lives are on the line) behind just like he didn't want to leave Piers behind despite Piers being heavily mutated at the time and most likely knowing that he'll fully mutate before they can get him help (has there ever been a time a fully mutated person has been cured?) and rip him apart on the way up and thus risk millions of more lives if the virus spreads again. I just never got romantic undertones. That's just my reading though, it might change when I see it again because as I said, I don't remember it too well.

Akiller

I do commend Capcom for just rolling with and playing up Chris' popularity in the gay gamer community.

But we all know that Resident Evil characters are cursed just to be teases with no actual relationship progress for all of time. That or they do go a bit beyond, but never appear again and/or die.

I figured it is more effective to keep the teasing rather than make it happen.

Is this the part where someone links that infamous thread?

Okay I'll do it.

Time to reread that thread since i'm actually into RE now rotfl

Exactly. I've always seen Jill and Chris as in a brotherly/sisterly relationship.

Jill:"You're like a brother to me ,Chris"

Chris:"
c821cf4e4a.jpg
"

Dusk Golem

Heads-up, there's a Resident Evil 20th Anniversary panel at Comic-Con that will apparently include new Resident Evil news:

Resident Evil 20th Anniversary Panel
Friday, July 22nd, 11:30AM to 12:30PM, Room 6BCF
Two decades have passed since survival horror fans first opened the ominous doors to the zombie-filled Spencer mansion. Celebrate the 20th anniversary milestone for Resident Evil with the team at Capcom, including info on what's in store for Resident Evil fans this year!
http://www.capcom-unity.com/capkel/blog/2016/07/18/capcom-at-san-diego-comic-con-2016

Noteworthy, the director of Resident Evil 7 is confirmed to be there since he's doing a signing event later that day, so likely be some new Resident Evil 7 news at least. Also apparently The Kitchen will be playable at Comic-Con.

strafer

Heads-up, there's a Resident Evil 20th Anniversary panel at Comic-Con that will apparently include new Resident Evil news:

http://www.capcom-unity.com/capkel/blog/2016/07/18/capcom-at-san-diego-comic-con-2016

Noteworthy, the director of Resident Evil 7 is confirmed to be there since he's doing a signing event later that day, so likely be some new Resident Evil 7 news at least. Also apparently The Kitchen will be playable at Comic-Con.

i bet we will get a trailer for the new CGI movie.

Dusk Golem

i bet we will get a trailer for the new CGI movie.

It's actually highly possible, if not then it would be Tokyo Game Show, but since Vendetta is already announced and I recall Damnation being shown at Comic-Con, I wouldn't doubt it.

What I expect is they're talk about the series history and maybe show some things, there may be some more Resident Evil 7 news (since that's the big RE game they're working for, it seems the RE7 team are there, etc.), the CG movie is likely, they'll probably talk about some other 20th anniversary things, maybe merchandise or something. Probably talk of their past and memories of the series, as they've been doing.

I have my doubts they'd show REmake 2 yet if they didn't at E3, but who knows?

Jawmuncher

Oh fuck yes, hope there's a new merc game.

Lunafreya

There's also Gamescom next month.

I assume they are going to show off the live-action Resident Evil movie at comic-con and possibly the CGI one.

I know the live-action one is getting its premiere trailer shown at comic-con according to the movie's facebook.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I don't really want a REmake version of RE2, played the game too much over the years, RE1 was barely out 5 years before REmake, RE2 gonna end up being about 20 years.

Hoping it's the classic camera style and gameplay, but I want the game locations to be heavily redesigned like they're like completely different places from the originals. Can keep a few iconic rooms like RPD entrance, main hall, labs inner shaft, but the rest I want to be areas I'm exploring for the first time..
Isnt this what they have basicly done with REmake?

strafer

There's also Gamescom next month.

I assume they are going to show off the live-action Resident Evil movie at comic-con and possibly the CGI one.

I know the live-action one is getting its premiere trailer shown at comic-con according to the movie's facebook.

That's right, there's that finale Resident Evil movie coming too. I thought they would release a trailer already.

Jill:"You're like a brother to me ,Chris"

Chris:""

Lmao :p

I think, if Chris really did have feelings for her, he would have made it known by now. They've been in contact for so long, something would have happened by now between them. Chris is already in his mid-40s at this point. That's way too long to be harboring feelings without cracking!

I hope their friendship stays the way it is. It happens too often in stories that a man and a woman working together long enough will eventually hook up. It's refreshing that for once, that isn't happening here. A man and a woman who can be friends without automatically wanting to screw each other. At least, to our knowledge, heh.

I've been in such a Resi mood recently. I don't know how many of you here are familiar with a series of videos called Resident Evil Challenger, a "show" that spanned over 10 years. Basically two friends from England made videos where they'd play through the entire Gamecube RE library in under 24 hours with ever increasing stipulations, all in one sitting. It was around the mid 2000's when it started, predating YouTube. These videos were very popular on Google Video and become very popular on YouTube as well. Later down the line, they ended up live streaming their challenge (again, way before the likes of Twitch, Justin.TV, UStream etc) it was a really crummy site called CamStreams. Anyway, the reason I bring this up is because I helped run the community they had gathered over the years - produce graphics and got to know the guys personally. So I've been reminiscing on those good times, as well as, of course - playing the games.

First time posting in this thread so I'll just state my collection:

Entire PS1 collection. That is RE1, 2, 3, Survivor - and the various re-releases and Director's Cuts.

The whole Gamecube collection (RE0, REmake, 2, 3, Code Veronica X, 4) Random fact: REmake and the other RE titles are the ONLY reason I owned a Gamecube back in the day, and still do to this day.

The PS3 releases of RE5, 6 (and the remasters of REmake and Zero)

The remasters for PC and PS4 (Origins, 5, 6 - and soon, 4)

Not to mention the Japanese imports of the PS1 library.

I have a backup fan-release of RE1.5 which I like to mess around with on my original PS1 console (and CRT for added nostalgia)

And a host of other various memorabilia and merchandise. So yeah, quite a fan. I've been slowly playing through this series again which I typically do every few years and would love to do a Resident Evil Challenge of my own in the near future. Just blitz through them all. Well, RE0 - RE4 anyway :p

Watching the intro to RE1 just defines "90's" for me, and seeing as the PS1 is my favorite console - takes me back to a point in my life which I find myself frequently living in to this day. Whatever the series was, is, and becomes in the future - it's first "era" will always be a favorite of mine, and thanks to Resident Evil Challenger, will forever serve as an integral part of my teenage years and a significant moment in my life so far.

Apologies for the life story, but I just had to get that out there. :)

PaulBizkit

The whole Gamecube collection (RE0, REmake, 2, 3, Code Veronica X, 4) Random fact: REmake and the other RE titles are the ONLY reason I owned a Gamecube back in the day, and still do to this day.

This. This was the main reason to have a gamecube back in the day. It was the definitive RE machine. But when Code Veronica and RE4 were release on the ps2, that thought disappeared completely.

Now the PS4/Xbox1 will become the NEW definitive RE machines since ALL the games (sans code veronica) will be available there, in HD and in physical format. I mean, I played all the games already (sans code veronica) but having them all in the same place will be very convenient.

This. This was the main reason to have a gamecube back in the day. It was the definitive RE machine. But when Code Veronica and RE4 were release on the ps2, that thought disappeared completely.

Now the PS4/Xbox1 will become the NEW definitive RE machines since ALL the games (sans code veronica) will be available there, in HD and in physical format. I mean, I played all the games already (sans code veronica) but having them all in the same place will be very convenient.

While RE: Origins, 4, 5, 6, 7, and eventually REmake 2 will/are on PS4 and Xbox One, I don't see any real way to play RE2, RE3, or RE: Code Veronica X (as you mentioned)

I realize the Dreamcast versions of RE2 and RE3 are perhaps technically superior and have more in terms of content (I own them on Dreamcast as well) I just cannot get along with that controller. The Gamecube controller, to me, has the finest analog sticks ever made. It's so precise, consistent, and just clicks into place for every direction you want - making it PERFECT for games like this that use tank controls.

I'm also a bit of a purist and enjoy playing games on the system they were intended for - but in the case of RE2, RE3, and Code Veronica - I have to apologize to my PlayStation and Dreamcast and boot up the Gamecube versions. They just PLAY better.

Regarding the PS4 versions of past games - they're nice and all, but there's something about the soft lighting and native resolution of the Gamecube and CRT TV combination that just makes it look better to me. Sure, the PS4 versions are "cleaner" but I find the RE0, REmake (and I'm sure RE4 when it comes out) to be far more enjoyable on the 'cube.

But yeah, my Gamecube is almost exclusively RE games. My girlfriend recently let me borrow Wind Waker and Luigi's Mansion (Wind Waker being the first Zelda game I've ever played) and the other title I own is MGS: Twin Snakes (even though I think it's a pile of panda shit)

Senoculum

I thought that Umbrella Corps was unfairly reviewed and received by the press and players so I decided to write this piece to highlight how great this game is, hoping more will give it chance.
Capcom did not pay me for this.
Long read below.

In praise of Umbrella Corps..

*snip*

Dude, I totally agree. I feel like Umbrella Corps is this gen's SOCOM 2. It's tactical, it's speedy, and once you get used to the maps (I'm in love with the multi-mission game mode) HILARITY ensues.

Just yesterday, I noticed the 2nd top player had joined my lobby. I played the map with him/her as my opponent and I laughed hard with glee at gameplay "moments." Like using smoke grenades to cover objectives and using the brainer from a stealth position, or opening doors and dropping sticky grenades and everyone makes a dive, or playing shotty from the rooftops of the RE4 village, or shooting off their jammer with a pistol so all the zombie dogs give chase. Every round is tight; every map has nooks and crannies and offers vertical play; and the ability to communicate with your team mates with icons offers a nice level of strategy.

I haven't been this hooked in a competitive game in a long time....

Dusk Golem

Count me in the crowd that thinks Umbrella Corps is going to be that game where everyone hates on it for being the worst RE game for years to come, but it's not actually as bad as many think, but does take some time to learn a lot of the depth of the combat and does have a janky edge, but there's a lot of fun to be had in it if you're willing to give it a chance (and is more fun working with people you can communicate with than not).

I enjoyed it a LOT more than I was expecting too, as did the two friends I played it with.

Only issue with Umbrella Corps is the maps which 100% don't fit the gameplay design thus kinda ruining it.
Maps maybe twice that or even bigger would be perfect.
Heck ORC maps but Umbrella Corps map themes and gameplay would be a perfect mp shooter.

zeemumu

Only issue with Umbrella Corps is the maps which 100% don't fit the gameplay design thus kinda ruining it.
Maps maybe twice that or even bigger would be perfect.
Heck ORC maps but Umbrella Corps map themes and gameplay would be a perfect mp shooter.

My problem with ORC is the ending, for the most part. I'm still not entirely sure what happened. Leon's talking to you about how Umbrella is shitty and then the two choices pop up and the game just cuts to a random warehouse and your team's been split up. I restarted the game several times assuming that it was broken and skipped a cutscene, but it just seems to be made that way. And then one choice is significantly harder than the other because Leon takes a hilarious amount of damage, so you're better off just siding with him.

Blah, I've been doing a replay of Code Veronica on PS3 recently, and I had completely forgotten about half the game, and unfortunately, or fortunately, forgotten the last boss fight which is so ass. I hate it with passion.

Top Bottom