• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D |OT| Where the hell is Leon?

TheBaldEmperor said:
I've played for over an hour and I'm enjoying myself. Played a few online matches and they were free of lag or connection problems. It's a great feeling when you get in the zone and are flying through enemies with melee attacks. Having fun so far.
I think everyone will be able to tell ahead of time whether they'd like this game or not. I mean, it's Mercenaries, with everything that entails. Not long if you just play it once, but the point is to keep playing for score. Even IGN's 6.5 review says that they had a ton of fun with it and that it's addictive, just overpriced.

BTW, I really hate their assertion that the game should've been included with Revelations. I highly doubt it would be able to fit on the card. I'd rather have a full-fledged new RE that doesn't make concessions to cram Mercenaries in too.

Clunker

Lyte Edge said:
SSF4 3D Edition was the same way. Leaderboards would really add to the replay value.

By the by, are you the same Lyte Edge that uses that murderous Chun Li on SSFIV 3D? I've run into a "Lyte Edge" a few times on random and you've destroyed me every single time, so I had to give major props to you.

I don't really mind no leaderboards in SSFIV, but not having it here in Mercs is a slightly larger missed opportunity. My biggest gripe, though, is the same with both games: Having no way to message people or send invites spoils a lot of the online play experience for me. I enjoyed Mercenaries a ton in RE4, and less so in RE5, so I'm interested in this as a score-attack romp but I was initially going to get it on Goozex, and now with the whole save thing I'm less inclined to do so. I'm torn. :(

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Clunker said:
By the by, are you the same Lyte Edge that uses that murderous Chun Li on SSFIV 3D? I've run into a "Lyte Edge" a few times on random and you've destroyed me every single time, so I had to give major props to you.

LOL, yeah, that's me...thanks! I changed my name recently to "GoodDaySir" though. Might have to change it back now.

What's your name on there?

I don't really mind no leaderboards in SSFIV, but not having it here in Mercs is a slightly larger missed opportunity. My biggest gripe, though, is the same with both games: Having no way to message people or send invites spoils a lot of the online play experience for me. I enjoyed Mercenaries a ton in RE4, and less so in RE5, so I'm interested in this as a score-attack romp but I was initially going to get it on Goozex, and now with the whole save thing I'm less inclined to do so. I'm torn. :(

Absolutely. This is a huge flaw with 3DS games online. I have played a grand total of ONE friend match in SSF4 and zero in DOA, and I have had the system since launch. Without being able to contact people from the 3DS or in-game, friend matches never happen.

Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom on Wii was the same way.

Still getting Mercenaries though. I'll play for my own high scores and one of my friends is getting it too...we're just going to text/call each other to play.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
still havent set my 3dsfriend codes up might have to add my resi mercs (when i get it FC) and my DOA and SSFIV if i can find them, how do I do this? been mostly playing off line as only stable internet is at home so much for all the hot spots etc on the move..

Speedymanic said:
Apologies if posted,

Gamestop will not be accepting trade ins due to save issue
http://videogamewriters.com/gamesto...ns-for-resident-evil-the-mercenaries-3d-14903

Gamefly will not be renting due to save issue
http://www.gamefly.com/game/nintendo-3ds/Resident-Evil-The-Mercenaries-3D/146300/

Finally, EB Games in AUS is in the process of recalling the game due to the save issue
http://www.vooks.net/story-20260-EB...enaries-from-sale-over-save-file-debacle.html

It looks like Capcom's move paid off for them. However, I imagine this won't stop people from using ebay.

angelfly

Speedymanic said:
Apologies if posted,

http://videogamewriters.com/gamesto...ns-for-resident-evil-the-mercenaries-3d-14903

http://www.gamefly.com/game/nintendo-3ds/Resident-Evil-The-Mercenaries-3D/146300/

Finally, EB Games in AUS is in the process of recalling the game due to the save issue
http://www.vooks.net/story-20260-EB...enaries-from-sale-over-save-file-debacle.html
So Capcom achieved their goal but at the cost of how many sales?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
thehillissilent said:
It looks like Capcom's move paid off for them. However, I imagine this won't stop people from using ebay.

Did it really work? It's getting an awful lot of negative attention. Moreso than I think they imagined. I don't think that they expected Gamefly and Gamestop to stop renting/accepting used copies.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
best part about buying from capcom store is below

What is your refund policy?
The Capcom Entertainment, Inc. store by Digital River offers a 90-day replacement warranty on defective products.
Refunds are not permitted.

Well looks like I got a nice case out of it lol

thehillissilent said:

Doubt it. I bet they will find how many sales the gamefly model really entail for them and especially this type of game. And they won't like it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
g35twinturbo said:
best part about buying from capcom store is below

Well looks like I got a nice case out of it lol

I'd suggest contacting them about it through their service center regardless. The more negative attention they get, the better.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Speedymanic said:
Apologies if posted,

Wow, I did not expect GS to do that.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
GuardianE said:
I'd suggest contacting them about it through their service center regardless. The more negative attention they get, the better.

I just did, I do not expect much from their customer service though

angelfly

GuardianE said:
Did it really work? It's getting an awful lot of negative attention. Moreso than I think they imagined. I don't think that they expected Gamefly and Gamestop to stop renting/accepting used copies.
The goal was to prevent used sales and that was achieved. If the game doesn't totally bomb it'll be surprising to see how many more follow this move with their games. Also I wonder what this means for Capcom's Vita offerings since it's possible they could do the same.

Speedymanic said:
Apologies if posted,

Yikes, looks like I'll pick this game up in a week when it bombas

Its great that this seems to backfire enormously. I'm still going to buy the game, but business practices like that (if it was intended to kill used sales) or shoddy programming (forgotten to include a basic function) should not be supported.

Personally its a non issue for me, but I can stand behind the notion of calling Capcom out for this.

Disguises

Sounds like this no-save deletion thing will backfire on Capcom big time :/. Bet they didn't think it would cause this much of a fuss - it really doesn't help the company image.

Edit: Still buying it and rarely trade games in anymore, so it's not really a big issue for me either. Would have preferred the option, however...

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I'm starting to wonder if this game will end up being a collector's item. Once it stops being manufactured, and since stores aren't going to resell it, it's going to be hard finding an unplayed copy.

Man, I'm really of two minds about this game now. On one hand I love Mercenaries, on the other no leaderboards is baffling, the save thing was a weird deciscion, and though I do really enjoy the game, like others have said, if this weren't the only 3DS game I want until August, I wouldn't be nearly as excited about it.

$40 truly is a lot to pay for something that would be $15 as a console download, especially when people are saying it feels rushed. I was planning on picking this up at my earliest convenience, but I think I'll hold out a couple weeks and see if there is a bomba sale.

I know there's like little to no chance this would happen even if it is possible, but theoretically Capcom could add in leaderboards as an update later on, right? It's always hard to tell how much GAF drama effects the real world, but if the game does end up selling like shit it'd be cool (and smart) to throw us something like that, an update that does away with the save thing and adds leaderboards or more content or something.

Speedymanic said:
Apologies if posted,

Excellent. If this were a pure score attack game, it'd be almost a non-issue, but the mission mode and character progression make it indefensible. This ought to teach a lesson both to Capcom and to any other 3DS/Vita publisher who might be considering this shit.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Father_Brain said:
Excellent. If this were a pure score attack game, it'd be almost a non-issue, but the mission mode and character progression make it indefensible. This ought to teach a lesson both to Capcom and to any other 3DS/Vita publisher who might be considering this shit.
I really do hope it serves as a warning before it's done on a more important title.

SmithnCo

I really doubt they are going to update this at all in the future, lol

It really sucks there are no leaderboards though, any main leaderboards would probably be hacked to hell when the inevitable 3DS Action Replay comes out, but friend leaderboards would have added a lot of replayability.

vg260

boris feinbrand said:
Its great that this seems to backfire enormously. I'm still going to buy the game, but business practices like that (if it was intended to kill used sales) or shoddy programming (forgotten to include a basic function) should not be supported.

Wait so this should not be supported, but you're still buying it? This does not compute. You have no business complaining then.

AnnSwag

angry @ Blu-Ray's success
boris feinbrand said:

Personally its a non issue for me, but I can stand behind the notion of calling Capcom out for this.

It's not even shoddy programming, it's a developer/publisher controlling the use/sales of a persons purchase.

Synless

Well, I was really interested in this game until all the bad things started coming out about it. It isn't even worth my time now.

2&2 said:
Wait so this should not be supported, but you're still buying it? This does not compute. You have no business complaining then.

I am not complaining. In Fact, I said it wasn't a personal concern of mine, but I can see that it is for some people. Is that so hard to understand?

The games sales aren't exactly determining if this crappy "non feature" is going to stay. It's the fact that stores might not even order stock for games that have this defect is going to persuade Capcom to rethink their idea on how to treat customers.

And the negative backlash from consumers is quite huge. It's too late for this game anyway. The copies are allready out there, but you can bet that I and probably no one else will accept this for games that actually have some story or something that is lost outside of simple unlocks.

Magnus

I was psyched for this, but having other obligations for the next two weeks coupled with all the negative press for the game means I'm definitely waiting for the inevitable price drop later this summer.

MooMoo

The game is in my hands! And I'm gonna set it as my favorite game just to spite everyone else who has Zelad: OoT/LA as their favorite game on my friends list :p

As for some early impressions:
1. Sadly, I will have to agree about the sound quality. It's pretty terrible D: Haven't tried earphones yet though. However, I doubt that will do anything to help the issue.
2. The janky animations are sort of bizarre. I haven't played nearly enough to decide if this will bother me. The beginning missions are pretty slow and have dumb AI, so it's easier to notice the animations then. I assume on the later stages that the action will be intense enough that it'll be hard to notice the weird animations.
3. The demo is really short. It also made me notice the ugly shadows in both the demo and the actual mercenaries game. Revelations has plenty of time to improve though, so hopefully they can smooth things out.
4. I sort of wish they had a "you unlocked 'X' character!" instead of having them being automatically unlocked after each set of stage levels.
5. I'll have to get used to the controls. Sort of used to having the 360 controller :p It's a non issue though.
6. Graphics are passable. Nothing mind blowing, but they aren't necessarily ugly.
7. I'm also upset with the fact that there are no leaderboards. I can see why people are upset with the one save thing, but for me it's a non-issue.
8. 3D is pretty subtle. I like it in the menus but for the actual gameplay itself there are two things that bother me. The first is that it brings out those jaggies. The second is that I tend to move my 3DS around a lot in this game, so the effect is typically broken.

Overall, it is what it is; a portable Mercenaries (with a few additions and a few subtractions). Anyone expecting more or less probably set themselves up for disappointment. I'm excited to see what Revelations will bring to the 3DS though and hopefully that won't have the one save issue.

Effect

I've only done the first level of missions but the game is easier to control then I thought. Aiming and moving the character seem pretty fluid for the most part. I do feel my thumb sliding off the circle pad at times but I think I just need to better position it. Liking it so far though.

Holy shit lol at Gamestop not gonna take it, they usually take anything , hell I traded a disc only of Mario all stars and they didn't care haha

hmmmmm so there's a good chance they might bomb huh, I'm #2 on goozex, time to get points :D

I picked my copy up today. I like it. It really showcased the 3DS graphic potential. I don't think this game, along with the RE Revelations demo, is possible on the PSP...at least not this smooth and clean. It plays much smoother than Resistance Retribution.

The RE Revelations demo is a joke. It's not even a minute long! But it did get me excited for the full product.

As for Mercenaries 3D, I think it's more of a fanboy game than anything. It's still fun in short bursts, but like Super SFIV, it's only fun with friends and not alone. It'll be a nice companion piece to RE Revelations when that comes out.

I personally don't mind the save thing because I won't trade this in. But I totally understand the disappointment and anger that save fiasco caused. Capcom better not do this with RE Revelations or other future 3DS games though.

Aw man I went only and did the last mission in Level 4. It's like 15 waves (Maybe more?) and me and this random person got to 15 and he died. Takes a long time to beat. I like the controls too. You can hit L even while you're not aiming to strafe. Not too much use but cool.

It sucks the whole package feels so cheaply put together cause it's a lot of fun.

Effect

I think holding against it that it's somewhat of a repackaging of modes from RE4/5 is wrong. For me this is the first time I've ever been exposed to these modes or type of play in the RE universe as I didn't get RE4 or RE5 (I have Umbrella Chronicles). Going to go back and play them if my enjoyment of this stays. I'm sure there are a ton of people in a similar position.

Effect said:
I think holding against it that it's somewhat of a repackaging of modes from RE4/5 is wrong. For me this is the first time I've ever been exposed to these modes or type of play in the RE universe as I didn't get RE4 or RE5 (I have Umbrella Chronicles). Going to go back and play them if my enjoyment of this stays. I'm sure there are a ton of people in a similar position.
Similar for me. I dabbled the Mercenaries with those other games but they were just way too hard.

The 3DS version seems more accessible. Also, having them as a portable is pretty cool.

And I don't think Crapcom added any extra levels, enemies, weapons, in this? It is kind of a lazy port.

Well, I'm glad I didn't spend any real money on this. It's definitely a fun experience and it demonstrates that games like RE work on the 3DS, but I'd definitely wait for the actual Resident Evil game to come along. As others have said, it's great in short bursts and I'll probably pop it in every once in a while, but there's something about Mercenaries that prevents me from just sitting down and playing it for hours. As a $40 product I can really only recommend it if a) you really, really like the Mercenaries mode and want some more and b)if you already own a 3DS and have already played Ocarina of Time, Link's Awakening, Donkey Kong, and Shantae; watched every 3DS trailer multiple times; played Excite Bike, Face Raiders, and every other AR game; gotten all the Pokemon in the Pokedex; finished Find Mii twice; gotten all of the Puzzle panels; gone back to play your DS collection; used the Internet Browser extensively; and scribbled yourself a manic note in the Note section.

I'd skip this one until the price falls to $20 or so.

The demo is just as long as one of the missions. lol
Played a bit of it so far, I should get some nice enjoyment out of it. I think the presentation is great, don't get the hate about the sound though. ^_^

Not sure why the review scores are so low. It's The Mercenaries, the SIDE GAME from Resident Evil, for the 3DS.

Mercenaries is all about trying to the best high score and the 3DS version definitely provides a lot of options with how to complete each level - different characters, equip different skills, try different weapon usage techniques. Agree that the internet play is weak, but that is more of a Nintendo issue that it is a fault of the game.

Having a blast playing this. It's great to get an RE fix for quick sessions on a handheld.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Price Drop said:
Not sure why the review scores are so low. It's The Mercenaries, the SIDE GAME from Resident Evil, for the 3DS.

Mercenaries is all about trying to the best high score and the 3DS version definitely provides a lot of options with how to complete each level - different characters, equip different skills, try different weapon usage techniques. Agree that the internet play is weak, but that is more of a Nintendo issue that it is a fault of the game.

Having a blast playing this. It's great to get an RE fix for quick sessions on a handheld.
Your second line summed up why scores are average.

Top Bottom