• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resonance |OT| of Fate

Bebpo

Banned
I've been stuck at the panel engineering puzzle (it's at the first section after the prologue) for 40 mins now. Need help. I clicked on everything to get any hints on how engineering a lock works, but it's not really helpful enough. Having never done anything like this in real life I feel like the puzzle is pretty bullshit for non-engineers.

I know that:

I need to activate 10 glowing lights on the bottom.

But it's not as simple as each pin being worth a value and you just wrap around pins to hit the right value. Sometimes I have 3 pins that make 4 glowing lights, then when I add 2 more pins for 5 pins I get zero. In fact, most of the times none of the lights activate no matter which pins I have wrapped around.

There's some +/- written on the board really faintly, but as a non-engineer I can't understand any of it and so I'm just stuck trying a million combinations for 40 mins and not getting it right and I'm kind of annoyed. Everything else in the game has been great until this puzzle which I feel is designed for people who've done this kind of thing in real life and would understand the programming logic.

epmode

I really didn't like the first Blackwell game. Haven't played the others yet.
While I liked the first one, it's noticeably worse than the other three. The series is pretty excellent by the time the third one starts.

Gemini Rue is good, Blackwell is better.

GhaleonQ

Well I finished it tonight. Despite what Steam says (4.5 hours) it took me a little over 8 hours I'd say. I ended with 335 points out of 340. Overall I really enjoyed it. Interesting story, decent puzzles, the voice acting was fine for the most part but there was some I skipped through because it just wasn't good. I'll play it again to see the other ending and to hear the commentary.

I REALLY love the puzzle interface. With the exception of classic Sierra VGA, this ought to be the new norm.

I thought the developer's more abstract works were fine, but this is a great stab at commercial appeal. I do think the puzzles could stand to be slightly harder, but I'm not going to complain when he has to worry about reviewers stamping out their "graphic adventure template" reviews.

This and Deponia aren't classics, but are 2 must-plays in 1 month for the Anglosphere.

Bebpo

Banned
If you guys finished it, can you help me out on the above puzzle? It's only like 1-2 hours in and I'm completely clueless and there's no walkthrough online yet so I can't advance :( I don't understand programming/engineering. I was a language major.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Just beat it for the first time. I'm not a huge adventure game buff, but I really enjoyed Gemini Rue so I picked this up day 1 and got sucked into the story and character interactions pretty quickly. Thought the puzzles were just the right difficulty, the hint system was well implemented, and I enjoyed the banter.

Only got a score of 299 but looking at achievements apparently you can get a full score in one playthrough... I'm definitely going to try to 100% this game - very curious about how much the story can branch, how your various decisions affect the outcome, and alternate solutions. Though I hope a walkthrough comes out soon, I definitely need the help, haha.

Steam says I took about 7 hours to beat it, felt like the right length for everything.

If you guys finished it, can you help me out on the above puzzle? It's only like 1-2 hours in and I'm completely clueless and there's no walkthrough online yet so I can't advance :( I don't understand programming/engineering. I was a language major.

Would love to help, but I honestly don't remember a puzzle like the one you described.. could it be an optional one that I skipped over? What area is it in? Can you offer any more context (where in the story, what characters, etc.)?

Bebpo

Banned
It's when
you enter the lab through the broken window with the cop and the blonde guy. You stop the water leak (full of electricity) but you have to get through a closed metal door OR you can go outside and try to get in by moving the giant debris out of the way.

To get in through the closed metal door you have to open the circuit panel next to it and re-program the electronic lock from the internal pins so it think you've entered the correct key code and opens.

I know I could just go outside and do the other way with the giant debris but since I've spent so much time on this stupid puzzle I want to find the solution.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm divided for this. I loved Gemini Rue and the first Blackwell, but the second and third Blackwell games really burned my love for Wadjet Eye.

I REALLY love the puzzle interface. With the exception of classic Sierra VGA, this ought to be the new norm.

I thought the developer's more abstract works were fine, but this is a great stab at commercial appeal. I do think the puzzles could stand to be slightly harder, but I'm not going to complain when he has to worry about reviewers stamping out their "graphic adventure template" reviews.

This and Deponia aren't classics, but are 2 must-plays in 1 month for the Anglosphere.

Agreed on the interface. I'm hoping Wadjet Eye adapts it for their future games. I had never actually heard of Vince Wesselmann before this game. What others do you recommend?

It's when
you enter the lab through the broken window with the cop and the blonde guy. You stop the water leak (full of electricity) but you have to get through a closed metal door OR you can go outside and try to get in by moving the giant debris out of the way.

To get in through the closed metal door you have to open the circuit panel next to it and re-program the electronic lock from the internal pins so it think you've entered the correct key code and opens.

I know I could just go outside and do the other way with the giant debris but since I've spent so much time on this stupid puzzle I want to find the solution.

Start by turning the power off via the switch at the top. Then click on the bad wire that's there in the middle area to remove it. Click on the bundle of wires at the bottom, click on the large middle pin thingy at the top, then drop it down to the first pin on the top row that's at the bottom area, then over to the pin thing next to it (make sure you sort of do a circular motion to wrap it around), then go diagonal to the first pin on the second row, then drag the wire to the area with the white squares. Finally, switch on the power at the top. I'm pretty sure that's the way I did it.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
It's when

Yup, I completely skipped that panel the first time... Loaded a save and worked my way through the puzzle.

Hint:

You were on the right track with thinking each of the pins had a set number. I think what was tripped you up was the fact that some of them are negative values. If your wire touches too many negative pins, then the subsequent pins will fail to light up and you'll get 0 indicators at the bottom.

Start with a path that goes through only the bottom left pin, then one that only goes through the bottom right to determine their numbers. Use various combinations from there to get the values of the other pins.

- ignore all the markings and symbols on the green background, they mean nothing
- try to find paths that go through as few pins as possible to avoid getting negative totals
- if you get 0 indicators at the bottom or unlit pins in your path, find alternatives for determining a pin's value

Solution:

Pin values...
-3, -5, -4
-6, -1, -8
+17, -9, +12

-6, - 1 ,and +17 pins for 10... image: http://steamcommunity.com/id/exmakina/screenshot/542930855771637531?tab=public

EDIT: Look at Lafazar's solution below, it's much better. :p I'll leave the above post intact as a record of my super roundabout approach to AG puzzles...

Lafazar

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/resonance/awesome_game_so_far_but_im_stuck_on_the_wiring_puzzle/post11

Yup, I completely skipped that panel the first time... Loaded a save and worked my way through the puzzle.

Hint:

You were on the right track with thinking each of the pins had a set number. I think what was tripped you up was the fact that some of them are negative values. If your wire touches too many negative pins, then the subsequent pins will fail to light up and you'll get 0 indicators at the bottom.

As far as I can tell, they are ALL negative (see link above).

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member

Ah yeah, looking at that GoG thread, your solution makes much more sense and completely explains why pins will fail to light up (the loss of all 19 units of the initial "charge"). I just ended up ignoring the top while working through the puzzle and noted each pin's value using only the bottom indicators.

pa22word

Played a little more, and wow this UI is fantastic. Probably my favorite UI I've ever used in a point'n click adventure game. Puzzles are great too. Jury's still out on the story though.

Sloane

Banned
Played a little more, and wow this UI is fantastic. Probably my favorite UI I've ever used in a point'n click adventure game. Puzzles are great too. Jury's still out on the story though.
Yup, especially the short term memory thing is awesome. I like that the game actually makes you think (like an adventure game should) and you can't just click everything until you stumble upon the solution. Although it does get a bit confusing once you play all four characters.

oh shit, only $10? I recall other games published by wadjet start at like $20 or so.

Will pick this up.

And the blackwell games are great, well... the first few were average, but there is noticeable improvement from a game to the next, and no reused sprites or anything i think. Good stuff, think you can get like all of them off steam for a relatively cheap price.

Bebpo

Banned

Thanks to all the posters who helped me out here.

What screwed me up was 2 things:

1. I thought you could only follow the lines on the green panel. So I didn't think it was possible to only wrap around a single pin and determine it's value. Otherwise, yeah that would have been the smartest way to determine each value and map it out.

2. I didn't realize the bar started full and they were all negatives that dropped it backwards. I dunno why I didn't notice this, but for some reason that never clicked.

Once you know those two things it's a standard puzzle. But figuring those 2 out is a bit tricky.

I have a question about a puzzle early in the game... posting a screenshot of it because I don't think it's really a spoiler for anyone who hasn't played it yet.

602716229.jpg

I managed to solve this through brute force but I was wondering if anyone knew the logic behind the solution.

edit - never mind, I was skipping the spoilers in the earlier posts. Seems like someone asked the same question as me.

Finished the game today. Steam says a little over 10 hours played, which sounds right to me. I think my score was somewhere around 320 which is not bad. Really enjoyed the atmosphere and the puzzles. The two aspects of the game that really stood out for me were the fact that you get to play multiple characters simultaneously, which opened the door to a lot of different types of challenges, and the fact that only about half the game was a traditional adventure game where you find item A and item B and combine them to progress. The other half of the game had genuinely clever and interesting puzzles that deal with mathematics, cryptography, social engineering, pattern recognition and ingame computers which you 'hack' to get information to use elsewhere. All this made me feel that I was challenged more than I would be in any regular adventure.

Anyone who is a fan of the kind of game Wadjet Eye makes should definitely check this out.

Finished the game today. Steam says a little over 10 hours played, which sounds right to me. I think my score was somewhere around 320 which is not bad. Really enjoyed the atmosphere and the puzzles. The two aspects of the game that really stood out for me were the fact that you get to play multiple characters simultaneously, which opened the door to a lot of different types of challenges, and the fact that only about half the game was a traditional adventure game where you find item A and item B and combine them to progress. The other half of the game had genuinely clever and interesting puzzles that deal with mathematics, cryptography, social engineering, pattern recognition and ingame computers which you 'hack' to get information to use elsewhere. All this made me feel that I was challenged more than I would be in any regular adventure.

Anyone who is a fan of the kind of game Wadjet Eye makes should definitely check this out.

Those kind of impressions make me want to get this, esp the lack of obtuse old-school puzzles. I never played Gemini Rue, so this will be my intro to their games, I really appreciated the atmosphere in that Giant Bomb quick look.

Awesome game. Finished it last night. There are some great twists, and I loved that many of the puzzles are integrated into the narrative and motivations of the characters, rather than pulling you out of the game to solve an unrelated logic problem.

There were only a few places in which I felt like I didn't know exactly what I was trying to do. For the most part, moving the game forward only requires thinking about what you might say or do in that situation. One place I feel like this broke down was
the puzzle box at Tortoise Security
. There are strong hints in that case, but the motivations were sort of secondary to all the facts immediately at hand.

Perfect length, great design. Oh, and probably mentioned before, but that keypad puzzle
is optional
, no?

Finished the game last night, 322 out of 340 and just under ten hours. I really liked it, some really fantastic puzzles with great variety to them and some interesting story twists. I'll probably end up playing it a few more times to see how different story choices play out and listen to the developer commentary. Being in control of four characters made some of the puzzles extremely complicated, but it never fell into the usual adventure game trap of ridiculous solutions you could never have come up with on your own. I got stuck a few times, but by leaving the game for a while and thinking logically through the steps it all came together for me. I really like Gemini Rue but I felt it was a little too straightforward in puzzle design, and I think Resonance hits a real sweet spot.

My only complaint is that it's super slow, to the point where I'm almost sure I must have missed some kind of skip button. Is there no option to run or skip scenes? You can click through dialogue, but I tried double-clicking, right clicking, clicking both buttons at once and I couldn't find anything. Some puzzles involved flipping switches and watching things happen multiple times, which got really frustrating when I was trying to figure them out. And there was no elegant solution to controlling four characters with separate inventories. If you want to move them all at once you have to ask each of them to follow you individually, then tell them to stop individually when you get there. Like I said, I'm almost certain I must have missed something because it seems crazy not to have these features in a modern adventure game, so I hope someone tells me I'm a moron.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
My only complaint is that it's super slow, to the point where I'm almost sure I must have missed some kind of skip button. Is there no option to run or skip scenes? You can click through dialogue, but I tried double-clicking, right clicking, clicking both buttons at once and I couldn't find anything.

In Gemini Rue (running on the same engine), you could skip by hitting escape.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, just finished this. Pretty disappointing.

Pros:
+Great spritework
+Really nice UI
+Excellent voice acting for the most part (Anna's acting is really stiff at times and it sounds like she's reading lines in a booth instead of reacting to what's in front of her in the game).
+Some nice sections that have that charm/spark of classic 90s adventure games
+I like how they kept in death scenes + an auto-rewind to not make it too punishing in that regard

The cons though are that the whole thing feels like a waste of potential. The story opens great, like you're going to get an interesting mystery adventure thriller about these four people and some sci-fi phenomenon. But the story really fizzles out once the four meet up. Instead you have a first half of a few chores around the city, then halfway point, then a bit of good adventure gaming and then it ends. The plot starts interesting and grounded but gets really silly conspiracy theory sci-fi channel bad by the end. Everything feels underdeveloped, whether it's the actual plot which feels slow and yet rushed at the same time, or the characters who all feel severely lacking in characterization.

And it's not like the game is super short. It's a solid length at around 5-7 hours, but it just feels so padded and so much of that time is wasted. There's really very, very little plot in the game. Probably about the same amount as your average indie 2-3 hour adventure game. But often those are episodic entries that have multiple games to further build and develop the cast. Here, even the amount of screens and locations is really really small. Wadjet Eye said it was their "biggest game yet", but maybe they were just talking about production values (which are really fantastic with the great spritework and voicework and interface).

The gameplay side of it is ok. There are some good puzzles and there are some ridiculously tedious bits. I get that you only have like 15 screens in the game so you need to take a single screen warehouse and turn it into 15-30 mins of gameplay just to pick up an item, but it really makes the pacing feel sluggish and some of the puzzles feel solely like padding to get more hours out of limited environments.

The four person system even works to the games disadvantage instead of its advantage. Having to juggle inventory between party members and make sure people are moving together and the right person is interacting with the right object just ended up being tedious instead of enhancing the gameplay. IMO the game would have been MUCH better and tighter narrative experience if the entire game was like the prologue with 4 timeframes all taking place simultaneously that you can do in any order. Going in, I actually thought that was the hook of the game, that it was an adventure game about 4 stories going on at the same time that eventually link up and interact with each other. Instead that was the prologue and then an hour in everyone meets up and it's just a traditional adventure game except you have to move 4 people at a time. Like the story premise, the gameplay (with the 4 person system) feels like a waste.

I sound more negative than I mean to be. It's a solid little C+/B- indie adventure game with great presentation and a story that is entertaining (the prologue and the 2nd half are very enjoyable even if the story is kind of dumb in the 2nd half). I think it's a good try for a new developer's first major adventure game, and I can see them shaking off some of the amateurish faults for their next game and maybe making some really great. I'd still recommend it, and it's priced right. But I'd be lying if it wasn't a game that could've and should've been something a lot better and more interesting than what it actually turned out to be.

Sloane

Banned
Here, even the amount of screens and locations is really really small. Wadjet Eye said it was their "biggest game yet", but maybe they were just talking about production values (which are really fantastic with the great spritework and voicework and interface).
I agree with you on the weak characterization and more or less on the story, it probably would have been better to keep the characters longer apart -- but the amount of screens and locations definitely isn't small. Way more than in Blackwell or Sam & Max or any other recent indie adventure game I can think of.

I don't think this is gemini rue guys. Just the same publisher and the same 'engine'.

And fuck pi. School was always up to "3.14"

:/

Liking the whole short term memory thing. Is there any strategy behind that
metal door unlocking mechanism
at the lab?
I spend a good 20min guessing that :/

And that dream sequence maze. Fuck.

Still, been having fun.

Yeah I love the inclusion of developer commentary, loved that in Alan Wake.

I'm stuck on the hospital, how do I find the first 3 letters of R Valdez?

Saty

I just wanna say that the metal door panel puzzle is completely optional. There is a second easy way to get into the lab.

I'm stuck on the hospital, how do I find the first 3 letters of R Valdez?

Read the emails properly, check the username of the people who sent them. Then try logging out of the computer and logging in again with the right username. You'll need to use your usb dongle again.

Bebpo

Banned
I agree with you on the weak characterization and more or less on the story, it probably would have been better to keep the characters longer apart -- but the amount of screens and locations definitely isn't small. Way more than in Blackwell or Sam & Max or any other recent indie adventure game I can think of.

Well, I think it depends on the scope of the story you are trying to tell. The Telltale games (though trust me, I don't think very highly of those either) work because they keep the scope very very small. For instance the Sam & Max eps tend to be adventures going on in the neighborhood so they just make a bunch of neighborhood screens to flesh out the one environment and make it feel sizeable and alive and then they do the same for one other location and have a lot of backtracking between the two areas.

Botanicula had a ton of screens, and was less than half the length of Resonance, but the quick pacing of only spending a minute or two or three in each room made it necessary to have so many or else the game would have been 30 mins long or the pacing wouldn't be anywhere near as fun.

Gray Matter has a whole wealth of areas that are multi-screen each, but it's also trying to tell a full length mystery novel in scope and it really needed that many areas to build up the characters, the world, and the plot. The final dungeon itself is like a dozen screens, but that makes the conclusion ever that more satisfying.

The problem is that Resonance is trying too hard to be a big scope sci-fi mystery thriller with four protagonists and multiple plotlines. That's a lot to bite off. Most movies don't even try for something that thick in a 2 hour timespan. It's usually reserved for novels or tv series. Great in theory, but to tell a story with that kind of scope you really need to be able to back it up with suitable amount of locations to explore and time for characters to develop and the players to settle into the world. For a small team and their first major title, it just wasn't feasible. So it comes off as a letdown on the premise because it promises a big scope story but can't come through on it. I think they needed reign in the story to what they knew would be feasible on their time and budget. I only played the first Blackwell game, but it worked better because like Sam & Max it's a short episodic story about a local mystery in a few locations; so it makes sense and flows well. Something I never thought Resonance did.

There's also something to be said about most of the games I mentioned have only a few locations, but each is comprised of multiple screens and feels "connected" vs Resonance has a dozen locations, yet almost all of them are a single screen (hospital being the exception). I definitely prefer the former than the latter. If you had an adventure game where you traveled around the world to a dozen countries, yet each one was comprised of a single static scene, it looses the feel of being this great adventure. Whereas if you did the same game with 4-5 locations and each was fleshed out with 2-4 screens, it would have a lot more impact. It's definitely a design choice; though I think one works much better than the other.

Gemini Rue is a good example too. I'm actually playing it currently and a few hours in but when you get in your spaceship you think "cool, this is going to be mass effect the adventure game" where you'll visit different sci-fi planets on your search for clues. But then they're like "the clues are back at the planet you just came from" and then you're back to the same screens you started on. I think designers really need to think about the budget of their adventures and create a scope that matches it.

Bebpo, I can't agree with you about the story. I found it engaging from beginning to end. But I do agree that not enough time was spent with each character. I felt the introductions were way too short and there was a rush to get them all together. But despite that, I didn't see it as a major fault and I'm able to easily look over it.

elfinke

Watched the Giantbomb QL yesterday, and I'm in. This looks wonderful.

Along with the Krater QL, Giantbomb have done an amazing job selling games to me this week.

fuck, it took me forever to figure out that
filing machine
at the police station. Keep on thinking my math was off, but then i realized i had to have the reticle directly over the 'handle'. Fuuuu.

Salsa

Ive been replaying Gemini Rue (originally played it before it got on Steam) and now I NEED this.

Summer Sales and all though D: will probably have to wait. The GB QuickLook completely sold me.

pa22word

Ive been replaying Gemini Rue (originally played it before it got on Steam) and now I NEED this.

Summer Sales and all though D: will probably have to wait. The GB QuickLook completely sold me.

IIRC they said the steam version isn't going to officially release for "a few more weeks", and that was less than a week ago, so it may not even be out until after/during the summer sale. Meaning I don't think it's going to get much of a discount if it gets one at all. Idk why they're taking so long to release it, I mean I've been playing the Steam version since launch day and haven't had any issues with it *shrugs*

BluWacky

The cons though are that the whole thing feels like a waste of potential. The story opens great, like you're going to get an interesting mystery adventure thriller about these four people and some sci-fi phenomenon. But the story really fizzles out once the four meet up. Instead you have a first half of a few chores around the city, then halfway point, then a bit of good adventure gaming and then it ends. The plot starts interesting and grounded but gets really silly conspiracy theory sci-fi channel bad by the end. Everything feels underdeveloped, whether it's the actual plot which feels slow and yet rushed at the same time, or the characters who all feel severely lacking in characterization.

The story really suffers by (MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR A PLOT TWIST DO NOT READ IF YOU'VE NOT FINISHED THE GAME)
making Ed the bad guy and having him kill Anna.
It's an effectively executed twist and makes sense, but unfortunately
Ed and Anna are the characters with the most "emotional" characterisation. The detective and the journalist have no internal lives - they're just doing their jobs - and so when you end up having to play as them alone the game becomes much less interesting.

The four person system even works to the games disadvantage instead of its advantage. Having to juggle inventory between party members and make sure people are moving together and the right person is interacting with the right object just ended up being tedious instead of enhancing the gameplay. IMO the game would have been MUCH better and tighter narrative experience if the entire game was like the prologue with 4 timeframes all taking place simultaneously that you can do in any order. Going in, I actually thought that was the hook of the game, that it was an adventure game about 4 stories going on at the same time that eventually link up and interact with each other. Instead that was the prologue and then an hour in everyone meets up and it's just a traditional adventure game except you have to move 4 people at a time. Like the story premise, the gameplay (with the 4 person system) feels like a waste.

The interface is rather clunky. Dragging and dropping memories around is tedious, and you can't share short-term memories with the rest of your team which is immensely irritating (if realistic). I would have liked to have been able to give items to team members by dropping them on their icons a la Day Of The Tentacle but maybe that was against the spirit of the game.

This game is a big fat reminder that I should start Gemini Rue. Damn you Steam sale *shakes fist*

The Quick Look was hilarious. I think this game's structure seems more up my alley than Rue's. It also looks like it'd work on iOS really really well.

Played for about two hours and really enjoyed it. But I want to punch whoever designed the
vent dream sequence. yuck, at least i got an achievement.

and yes i know you could have quit at anytime but I wanted to unlock all the dreams

Have you ever played Operation Stealth/James Bond 007: The Stealth Affair? trust me, there are adventure games with FAR worse mazes in them, those drove me crazy when I played them on the Amiga and having to keep swapping disks when I died!

I think this is hands down one of the best adventure games I've played in years and for $10 it destroys all mainstream competition that has been 'full priced' such as Pendulo's output etc, especially given it's length.

It had the perfect amount of humour and drama, something that most adventure games can only do one or the other.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished this today. I really enjoyed it. The writing and voice acting were a little sub-standard, but the puzzle design made me feel smart without becoming too tedious or obscure. I like an adventure game that actually has some faith in the player to be able to sit down and actually reason out a solution without a handful of super obvious hints being shoved in my face.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
this is kind of lame, but is there a branching story path faq out there yet? I'd be interested in seeing a "here's what you might have missed" page.

this is kind of lame, but is there a branching story path faq out there yet? I'd be interested in seeing a "here's what you might have missed" page.

I'd like to see this too as I've read little bits and bobs that I seem to have done completely different to others.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'd like to see this too as I've read little bits and bobs that I seem to have done completely different to others.

for example, I see that some people opened up that keypad in the lab by the janitor's closet, whereas I never did anything with that.

Top Bottom