• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: Senator Warren to endorse Clinton, sources say

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
giphy.gif

I am capable of respecting Warren's endorsement and also choosing to throw my vote away on a third party.

I just want to highlight how interesting this is, not to pick on you per se. We're looking at a potential Donald Trump Presidency, which should horrify sane people to the extent that any rational mind would do what they could to stop that, which in our cases is of course to simply vote for his opponent. Now, Elisabeth Warren carries such weight that just having her as the VP would make you vote for Clinton. Warren would basically do nothing as VP, a total waste of a progressive leader. Warren as VP would hurt progressivism. Warren obviously understands the gravity of the situation, and of course wants everyone to get out and vote for Clinton.

Simply put, a Clinton loss is a devastating loss for progressives. Republicans would control all 3 branches. The conservative agenda would get implemented in it's entirety.

I suppose I just can't relate. I have no idea how taking a progressive leader out of the Senate and wasting her as a VP could be a dealbreaker for a progressive, on top of not even valuing her endorsement at least to the extent that you could appreciate the gravity of the situation.

I like her a lot. Far more than Hillary too (and sanders no doubt). This would be a great endorsement. And a big play to pull in a lot of bernies supporters too.

lets get this straight Bernie is a broke ass Elizabeth Warren not the other way around.
Liz supporters begrudgingly got on the Bernie wagon after bae wouldn't run.

Pastry

Banned
lets get this straight Bernie is a broke ass Elizabeth Warren not the other way around.

More like a broke ass Barney Frank, which would explain why Bernie hates him so much.

Yeah, Bernie's run began on the back of the Warren4Pres efforts.

All their infrastructure and support were basically gifted to Sanders and propelled him immediately once Warren removed herself from contention.

I'm so happy to see the party finally start going out guns blazing against Trump. Obama's roasts alone will be legendary.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
I don't understand these endorsements after she clinched the nomination ..

Between warren and Obama... She already has the nomination...

The endorsement is worth much more while the election is still happening

Do they just not want to look like they are endorsing the losing side?

giga

Schattenjäger;206272587 said:

The election is happening. I'm confused. This is about unifying dems.

kirblar

I think Warren wanted to just stay out of the Bernie/Clinton campaign so she could focus on Trump.

Obama stayed out as a matter of tact. It also pre-empted OBAMAS RIGGING FOR HILLARY being a line coming out of Bernie's mouth.

FyreWulff

sitting Pres usually waits as to not look like they're meddling (unless the VP runs)

People like warren and Obama were respecting the primary process by letting it happen without their influence.

Damaniel

Banned

It's a strong show of unity rather than a traditional endorsement - it sends a message that says 'we're in this together, fired up and ready to take on Trump'.

At least the Democrats have that - prominent Republicans are steering well clear of Trump and his campaign, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a few defections over the next few months - if not into the Democratic party, at least to Hillary.

giga

Schattenjäger;206272979 said:
I mean primary election.

I get the reason for it .. But wouldn't it be expected?
Warren and Obama carry more weight than most other Dems. They're more valuable to bring Sanders supporters in the fold.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Warren and Obama carry more weight than most other Dems. They're more valuable to bring Sanders supporters in the fold.
I get it .. But are they really endorsements to endorse a particular candidate or just to unify and bring in Sanders supporters

Hypothetically, if Sanders clinched the nomination, would Obama and Warren still endorse Clinton? I don't think they would ..

So is it really an endorsement or just a gesture to help unify the party?

giga

Schattenjäger;206273495 said:
I get it .. But are they really endorsements to endorse a particular candidate or just to unify and bring in Sanders supporters

Hypothetically, if Sanders clinched the nomination, would Obama and Warren still endorse Clinton? I don't think they would ..

Both.

It'd be pointless to endorse someone who wasn't getting the nomination.

Boke1879

It's a lot about unity really. They didn't support her in the primary because they didn't want the optics of tipping the scale.

But now that she's pretty much the nominee this is a unifying tactic.

Both. Look at the GOP side. Trump won ages ago and people that first enforces him are already starting to walk back on it.

I think generally if a nominee won and isn't a complete fuckwit, they'll get the standard endorsements. But of course if they go off the deep end, it is possible to lose that support.

The comments sections on the sites reporting this are nasty.

These Bernie or Busters are like talking to a brick wall.

If Liz Warren, Bernie, Obama and other progressives are on board with getting work done with a Clinton administration, what more do they want?

Voting for Trump or not voting to spite the "Morally corrupt DNC" is basically saying you think the Republican legislative agenda is just fine.

A Trump presidency with a Democratic Congress means very little still gets done.
A Trump presidency with a Republican majority is a disaster.
A Clinton presidency with progressives having a senate majority is the most ideal.

giga

If Liz Warren, Bernie, Obama and other progressives are on board with getting work done with a Clinton administration, what more do they want?

Voting for Trump or not voting to spite the "Morally corrupt DNC" is basically saying you think the Republican legislative agenda is just fine.

A Trump presidency with a Democratic Congress means very little still gets done.
A Clinton presidency with progressives having a senate majority is the most ideal.

It's because Bernie told them to.

WASHINGTON—Addressing reporters after meeting with President Obama at the White House this morning, Bernie Sanders called upon his followers to post long-winded, extremely aggressive rants on social media, according to local supporter Ryan Bailey’s interpretation of the speech. “I’d like you to go on Facebook or Twitter and harass as many people as possible with spiteful, protracted tirades,” said the Vermont senator in Bailey’s inference of the speech, which demanded that he and any other voters still committed to political revolution reply to anyone who challenged their opinion with a barrage of sharply worded displays of sanctimony and condescension, as well as any number of personal insults. “If somebody tries to get you to calm down or walk back your rhetoric, don’t hesitate to double down by questioning their intelligence and maligning their integrity before blocking them entirely. Also, if you see anybody sharing a conflicting point of view anywhere online, it is imperative that you attack them at once with a series of furious and preferably misogynistic responses.” According solely to Bailey’s own perception of the speech, Sanders then concluded his remarks by asking supporters to send a threatening email to Democratic Party officials or members of the media.

Damaniel

Banned

They're not worth the effort to convert - they'll never be happy with anything but Bernie as President and Hillary in jail. All of the rest of Bernie's supporters are either on the Hillary train or will be soon enough; in fact, the President's endorsement thread in /r/s4p was actually filled with a number of voices of reason and unity (but still a bunch of salt from the Bernie or Busters).

That article was so savage and hilarious. The Onion is usually on point with their political stuff.

Of course, I would not be shocked if some people online accused The Onion of still being biased against Bernie since the owner is a Hillary supporter. I know there were accusations when he bought the website.

That's already happened on the S4P subreddit and Twitter, because of course it has.

Kangi

That article was so savage and hilarious. The Onion is usually on point with their political stuff.

Of course, I would not be shocked if some people online accused The Onion of still being biased against Bernie since the owner is a Hillary supporter. I know there were accusations when he bought the website.

The accompanying OT thread was certainly the point that took me to "okay end this primary now".

Anyway... glad Warren's on board, though there was never any real doubt. Now to see if she becomes the running mate... I kind of want it to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom