• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Revealed: Cyclist at centre of drug cheat claims against 150 British sport stars .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

A drugs-cheat amateur cyclist who had his sentence cut by anti-doping chiefs for whistleblowing is at the centre of explosive new claims that a doctor illegally treated 150 elite sportsmen, including Premier League footballers.

Dan Stevens, 39, is believed to be the sportsman who tipped off the UK Anti-Doping Agency (Ukad) about private clinician Dr Mark Bonar who he said was prescribing performance enhancing drugs to himself and other athletes.

When they failed to act on his dossier of evidence, the source tipped off a newspaper and Dr Bonar was secretly filmed describing a network of high-profile clients, including two professional dancers on Strictly Come Dancing and squad members with Arsenal, Chelsea and Leicester City.

The taxpayer-funded UK Anti-Doping watchdog is now facing a Government inquiry after it emerged they were alerted about Dr Bonar in 2014.

Ukad is understood to have been handed two written prescriptions signed by Dr Bonar but officials failed to pursue the matter because he is not governed by a sporting body. They did not pass the information on to the General Medical Council.

However, the whistleblower is said to have had his sentence cut for supplying the information, having failed to supply a sample for an out-of-competition anti-doping test in January 2014.

It came as a the clubs embroiled in the doping row vehemently denied the allegations.

Arsenal said it was "extremely disappointed" by the claims, "which are without foundation", while Chelsea said they are "false and entirely without foundation". Leicester and Birmingham City - also named in the report - also vigorously denied them.

Meanwhile, the Omniya Clinic, where Bonar was based in Knightsbridge, west London, denied ever seeing a high-profile sportsman on the premises as it said his contract was terminated on Friday.

In a statement, the clinic said: "We have checked our records thoroughly during the period Dr Bonar worked at Omniya and apart from the undercover athlete the Sunday Times used in its investigation, we can find absolutely no trace of a single high-profile sportsman or woman who has been treated or been seen at the clinic by Dr Bonar.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...of-drug-cheat-claims-against-150-sport-stars/

Summary:

- Cyclist got banned for using performance-enhancing drugs
- He turned whistleblower in return for a more lenient ban
- UK Anti-Doping didn't act on his information
- Cyclist then went to The Sunday Times
- The Sunday Times obtained undercover footage of Dr Mark Bonar talking about clients, including Arsenal, Chelsea and Leicester players
- Government about to commission an independent review of UK Anti-Doping

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I knew Strictly Come Dancing was worse than FIFA but nothing prepared me for the scale of Dance Armstrong Gate.

Shocking, every professional sport is full with doped up people. Anyone who doesn't realize that is just lying to himself.

Remember reading somewhere once that it's pretty common for chess players to take some drugs in order to concentrate better. So if even those guys take some shit, go figure what the other professionals in the real money heavy sports take.

Arsenal players? Bullshit alarm right there, we can barely get a fit team together at the best of times, if they're using PEDs I don't want to know what we would look like as a team without them.

caesar

Banned
Doping is an epidemic on every sport where you could benefit from it. How often are football/tennis players etc tested? Its an iq test not a drug test. We need USADA.

Fur_Q

Leicester City's players are doping?

I don't believe it.

Whaaaat............. you mean a team that was on the verge of relegation last season is now on the cusp of winning the same league they were nearly cast out of. And its not down to sheer determination and hard work. Stone the Crows.

mclem

It probably says a lot about me that I'm mostly curious who the Strictly dancers are. My hunch is Robin Windsor and maybe James Jordan, although they're both currently ex-performers.

liquidtmd

Banned
The taxpayer-funded UK Anti-Doping watchdog is now facing a Government inquiry

'Lessons will be learnt'
'We are shocked and appalled at these isolated incidents'
'We have changed our process now so this cannot reoccur'

Pick one. Who fucking cares - Government inquiry after inquiry, they solve nothing.

I am convinced everyone in pro sports is doping. Those that haven't been caught just means they are using newer substances that is not being tested for yet.

They should just legalize that shit and have everyone on dope. That way you can at least monitor safety.

'Lessons will be learnt'
'We are shocked and appalled at these isolated incidents'
'We have changed our process now so this cannot reoccur'

Pick one. Who fucking cares - Government inquiry after inquiry, they solve nothing.
The response that they can not act because the doctor wasn't governed by a sporting body says that it was simply out of the UKAD's remit. I'm not going to slaughter UKAD if they wanted to act but were powerless. As for people saying glad my team isn't there.. there are probably other doctors, in other cities doing this and they just haven't been caught yet.

If UKAD can't change its remit then just shut it down. Waste of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom