• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Review: Ace Combat 5: Unsung War (US Version)

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
So I got a copy of the game today. Tossed it in and started it playing it immediately. I'll break the review down by categories:

Visuals: 8.9
Clean. Unsung War is definitely better looking than the 4th. The level of detail on the planes is really a sight to see. Though, I think despite the nice lighting effects in the background and the smooth details around the planes, the visuals really shine because of two very critical things: the framerate and convincing the gamer that you're actually flying. Ace Combat 5 really creates that feeling...the more you play, the more you get into it. I find myself cringing when I get a little too close to the water or ground and just barely pull myself out.

Still it should be noted that the ground textures are really, really poor. With the exception of some fully polygonal structures popping out of an otherwise flat terrain, AC5 continues to feature drab textures for the grounds. The water looks awesome from a distance, on the other hand...though not so hot too close. And lastly, the game's replays are awesome and have a pretty engrossing aspect to them, much like Gran Turismo.

Gameplay: 9.4
I rarely get too excited when I play a game, but Ace Combat 5 really gets me going. I destroy a target and I'll scream "fuck yeah!" If I have a missile approaching me I'll start panicking and saying things like "shiiiitt" or "no no no no no" as I'm making a really sharp cut in order to avoid getting hit. And what happens when I do get hit? A howling "fuck!" comes out of my mouth. AC5 is exciting...almost a little too exciting, but that's the best part. The action is awesome. There are planes and targets all around you. There's no feeling like taking down three, or even four, targets in a row. I've always loved double tapping in Ace Combat games and watching the missiles connect with the enemy, what a great feeling. Oh, and I love taking off and landing the planes; I never skip those.

The story's decent, I guess. I don't think AC games have had very good stories and AC5 isn't really much different. That is not to say that the story is bad in any way...just doesn't seem very inspired. None of the characters really have any strong development, but hey...if you expect a game like AC to have a good story, you're playing the wrong game. The story doesn't really matter to me, it doesn't detract from the experience at all. I'm always just waiting for the next mission to start so I can kick some more ass.

Controls: 9.5
Same old control setup all of us have become very accustomed to. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right?

Sound/Audio: 9.5
Hehe...uhh, hearing Puddle of Mudd in the game really threw me off. I thought it was one of those advertisements with audio that loaded itself on the PC, but then I realized it was coming from the game's cut-scene. Weird. Anyways, the actual soundtrack (during combat) is sweet. Heart pounding stuff, and it sounds especially better when you've got a nice audio system turned up. The sound effects compliment the BGM very well -- nice sounding gun fire and explosions, mmmm...Oh and the voice acting isn't bad; definitely better than most.

Replay: 9
The lack of an online mode kinda' sucks. But the game's still fairly long with 30 missions in the story mode alone. Then there's the arcade mode where you can play each mission individually. There's a wholesome amount of airplanes to choose from later on in the game and a good number of unlockable features that only add to the replay factor. Coupled with the fact that even if extras didn't exist in AC5, it'd still be a highly replayable game if only because of its addictive nature.

Overall: 9.3

=)

Good review, I pre-ordered the game today.

But I gotta say, the story in AC4 was really good. I don't agree with you when you say, "The story's decent, I guess. I don't think AC games have had very good stories and AC5 isn't really much different."

The story in AC4 was pretty good :\ But still thats your opinion.

WarPig

Doom_Bringer said:
The story in AC4 was pretty good :\ But still thats your opinion.

They're both good in different ways, IMO. The AC4 story was good in a quiet, elegiac kind of way. The AC5 story is good in a more exciting, involving, epic kind of way.

Neither is like the AC3 story, which was shitty in a rehashed Japanese cartoon show kind of way.

DFS.

AlphaSnake

Heh, looks like I'm potentially the minority here regarding the story.

WarPig said:
They're both good in different ways, IMO. The AC4 story was good in a quiet, elegiac kind of way. The AC5 story is good in a more exciting, involving, epic kind of way.

Neither is like the AC3 story, which was shitty in a rehashed Japanese cartoon show kind of way.

DFS.

Never played AC3, AC2 was awesome though.

But its good to hear that the story is epic and generally good. I CAN"T WAIT FOR THE FRIGGIN GAME.

5 MORE DAYS ^_^

AlphaSnake

CAN YOU TAKE IT ALL AWAY!
CAN YOU TAKE IT ALL AWAY!
WHEN YOU SHOVED IT IN MY FACE!
EXPLAINING IT TO ME!!

:lol

Seriously...WTF, Namco?

WarPig

The bosses on the dev team liked the song. No, seriously. The director gave an interview to Game Watch talking about how it totally captured the feeling he wanted to give the trailer, or some shit like that.

It happens sometimes. Like, the Japanese dev team thought the English voices in the original ZOE were good. There's no accounting for taste across cultures.

What I really want to know is where the fuck the word "Razgriz" came from. I'M A GHOST OF RAZGRIZ, MOTHERFUCKER! BACK THE FUCK UP!

Anyway, I'll put up with a certain amount of nu-metal if I can blow the fuck out of motherfuckers in my black-and-red Su-47, and Ace 5 emphatically lets me blow the fuck out of motherfuckers in my black-and-red Su-47, so it's all good.

DFS.

AlphaSnake

It's official: Namco has bad taste. ;)

They should've thrown in Burning Brides instead. That'd rock.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Still it should be noted that the ground textures are really, really poor. With the exception of some fully polygonal structures popping out of an otherwise flat terrain, AC5 continues to feature drab textures for the grounds.
Note however, that the game is much better than AC4 in that respect. It uses LOD on ground textures, you can also see that it draws some extra random detail over the regular green/brow/gray terrain, and also has polygonal trees that smoothly fade-in when you get closer to the ground. I was actually quite impressed by their ground renderer, it just has qute a photorealistic look, and considering that the last Flight Simulator that I've seen (that was two years ago though) on highest settings had ground detail that often looked like crap compared to this, and ran at 10FPS on some pretty high specced machine.

WarPig

AlphaSnake said:
They should've thrown in Burning Brides instead. That'd rock.

IRON MAIDEN, MOTHERFUCKER

single2.jpg

THERE'S ONLY ONE

DFS.

AlphaSnake

Marconelly said:
Note however, that the game is much better than AC4 in that respect. It uses LOD on ground textures, you can also see that it draws some extra random detail over the regular green/brow/gray terrain, and also has polygonal trees that smoothly fade-in when you get closer to the ground. I was actually quite impressed by their ground renderer, it just has qute a photorealistic look, and considering that the last Flight Simulator that I've seen (that was two years ago though) on highest settings had ground detail that often looked like crap compared to this, and ran at 10FPS on some pretty high specced machine.

But dude, it still looks ugly. :p

AlphaSnake

WarPig said:

single2.jpg

THERE'S ONLY ONE

DFS.

Oh, fuck yeah! That'd make me shoot the hardest load.

"There goes the siren that warns of the air raids."

Running! Scrambling! Flying!
Rolling! Turning! Diving! Going in again!
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. aces high.

rock.gif
rock.gif
rock.gif
rock.gif
rock.gif

*solo*

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
But dude, it still looks ugly. :p
I dunno, I *really* liked how the ground looks from up there (I've only played the demo though). Obviously it looks worse when you get closer, but still.

The bosses on the dev team liked the song. No, seriously. The director gave an interview to Game Watch talking about how it totally captured the feeling he wanted to give the trailer, or some shit like that.
For what it's worth, I thought the song really clicked in nicely in that trailer :p They just dissolved the rhythm that was going on for a while in the trailer into that song, and it felt like a pretty natural transition.

Socreges

Banned
WarPig said:
The gist of my AC5 review was that it's a lot like AC4 ^_^

DFS.
Well, essentially what I'm saying is that I got more out john tv's "quick impressions" in the other thread than Alpha's review.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Need more thoughts on THIS

245584-FLIGHTSTICK2.jpg

Oh and include how well the tophat handles with a game like GGXX...:D

Doom_Bringer said:
Never played AC3, AC2 was awesome though.

But its good to hear that the story is epic and generally good. I CAN"T WAIT FOR THE FRIGGIN GAME.

5 MORE DAYS ^_^

I envy you for just having to wait for 5 days.
I hope my copy will ship on 10/26 so I can play AC in November...

Mrbob

Brandon F said:
Need more thoughts on THIS

245584-FLIGHTSTICK2.jpg

Oh and include how well the tophat handles with a game like GGXX...:D

Woa! What is this? How much does it cost? I may pick up AC5 if it plays well with that.

Found it. Damn, 130 bucks? Does it work with Ace Combat 4 as well?

I'd rather pick this up next year but may have to buy it right away. I'm worried that the bundle with the flight controller won't be offered for long.

WarPig

The Flight Stick 2 comes as a package with AC5 for $130. Lotta money, but it's a solid stick, there's a marked improvement in performance in the game. You get much finer control over the yoke than with just the Dual Shock analog, and the throttle control makes it much easier to maintain a particular speed. Aside from which it just feels cool ^_^

DFS.

Mrbob

WarPig said:
The Flight Stick 2 comes as a package with AC5 for $130. Lotta money, but it's a solid stick, there's a marked improvement in performance in the game. You get much finer control over the yoke than with just the Dual Shock analog. Aside from which it just feels cool ^_^

DFS.

Does it work with AC4 as well?

And do they ship the stick to Europe?

I dunno. I found it at EBgames website. Looks like they are packaging the stick with the game together for 130. Which really isn't that bad if it is a sturdy as claimed.

November is so packed as it is, ugh. Why couldn't Namco have waited on the release of this game?!? :p

Yikes. I just noticed it comes out the same day as San Andreas! -___-

WarPig

Mrbob said:

Lemme see...yes, it should. This is just the second iteration of the Hori Flight Stick, which was originally developed for Ace 4, so the Flight Stick 2 should work with that game as well.

DFS.

Mrbob said:

I dunno. I found it at EBgames website. Looks like they are packaging the stick with the game together for 130. Which really isn't that bad if it is a sturdy as claimed.

I have some bad memories regarding EB and shipping costs at 55 $....(to Europe)

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I don't know if you've missed the whole discussion, but he was only referring to the ground textures - upclose. Game, in general, looks really awesome. Easily deserves graphics score around 9.

Bebpo

Banned
WarPig said:
The Flight Stick 2 comes as a package with AC5 for $130. Lotta money, but it's a solid stick, there's a marked improvement in performance in the game. You get much finer control over the yoke than with just the Dual Shock analog, and the throttle control makes it much easier to maintain a particular speed. Aside from which it just feels cool ^_^

DFS.

It comes with the game in the US?

Big FU to Namco Jpn then. $130 + $70 = Tekki price ;.; And this controller doesn't even light up like it's from the future.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Bebpo said:
It comes with the game in the US?

Big FU to Namco Jpn then. $130 + $70 = Tekki price ;.; And this controller doesn't even light up like it's from the future.

There are two versions. Just Ace Combat 5 with some pins for $49.99, or the Flightstick 2 + Ace Combat 5 + Making of Dvd +flight pins for $129.99.

Bebpo

Banned
Grizzlyjin said:
There are two versions. Just Ace Combat 5 with some pins for $49.99, or the Flightstick 2 + Ace Combat 5 + Making of Dvd +flight pins for $129.99.

Yes and that's still a whole $70 cheaper than the Japanese market is paying for the same product. Not too mention the Japanese version didn't come with a making of dvd.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
teepo said:
does the stick work with the pc and if so, how well.

Hey thats a good question, if its a good stick and works well with the PC, I might just buy it

AlphaSnake

WarPig said:

single2.jpg

THERE'S ONLY ONE

DFS.

I turned down the BGM and loaded up Winamp in the background. Playing the game to the song fucking rocked. I love playing my PS2 via my PC. =D

Bebpo

Banned
teepo said:
does the stick work with the pc and if so, how well.

I'd test it but I don't have any flying games for the PC :(

And as for if you should buy it next week, it comes down to this?
--Do you have extra cash to burn?
--Do you want a more enjoyable experience with AC5?

If you answered yes to both, the stick is for you. If not it's probably not worth it.

Top Bottom