• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RGB cable for japanese Gamecube problem

Takosuke

I recently bought a official (and expensive) modified RGB Cable for my Japanese Gamecube, like these:

Ogc_scartcable.jpg

When I insert both the cables to the back of my GC and the scart into the back of my TV, the light which is on the gamecube goes out, and all I can hear is the fan. When I take out the Digital Cable and let the Analog plug only, ,it works but in composite.

Can anyone tell if i've done anything wrong, or had the same problem and found a solution?

This is driving me crazy >_<

cja

Noticed you've asked the question over at the atarilabs board Takosuke, sure they'll give you a more informed answer than you'll get here. Not sure what you mean by "official modified" btw.

Burger

The way I thought it worked was, all cubes output RGB, but in the official component cable there is a small DAC which converts the RGB signal to component, hence the price of the cable. To get RGB from JAP/US cubes you lift a pin up off the DAC and ground it to get the RGB signal back.

I know the PAL cube outputs RGB thru the std av port, while on JAP/US cubes these pins are for s-video.

Sounds like some sort of grounding problem in your modded cable.

Open the end of the digital plug, and it should look like this:

post-5-1089493193.gif

Or go here:

http://www.rgbcube.co.uk/Main.html#Two

SantaC

it could be that his tv doesn't support RGB, because I once tried this cable on my old tv and all I got was a black screen.

I have that cable and it works perfectly for me... Sucks for you, I hope you get the problem solved somehow... hey what's the atarilabs board and how can get there?

Takosuke

The DAC and the resistor a totaly like on those pictures. I also double check to find any short circuit on this part, but all seems to be okay. I added some more electrical tape to be sure.

This is not my TV which is in fault, since I play with all my other sytems in RGB ;p

When I plug the Analog AV only, it works (in composite though)
When I plug the Digital AV only, it's the same problem (the CD doesn't spin, the light goes out, but I can hear the fan spinning).

Another person seemed to have the same problem on Atarilabs, but no one answered his questions :/

And by "official modified" I don't really know either what it means; I copied the post from this person and edited it to pasted it here, since I'm a lazy b*tch :/

i got a cable like that aswell. i got a new tv and i got another problem than you do.

my problem is this:

I only play NTSC games"US games" when i hook up my PS2 to my TV"with an RGB scart" i get color and the game works perfect on my tv.

so my TV supports NTSC, but when i hook up my GC"japanese version" with my modded scart i dont get a picture at all, i only hear sound. so when i dissconnect my composit cable from the GC i get a picture but the picture is black and white!

I know that my modded scart works as i have used it on another tv and in that one it worked fine.

can someone please explain this?
i am getting tired of not being able to play my GC:(

Shompola

Banned
rgb bypassed ntsc though. if you get b/w picture with gc it means your tv likely does not support ntsc even though it supports rgb.

Shompola said:
rgb bypassed ntsc though. if you get b/w picture with gc it means your tv likely does not support ntsc even though it supports rgb.

ok what does this mean:

i can play NTCS games on it,if i use a normal scart the picture would be Black and white, but when i use a rgb Cable i will get color.

thats what happens when i play my american PS2 on my Pal tv

Takosuke

robertsan21 said:
but my ps2 switches to RGB mode automatically, does not the Modded scart for my GC switch to RGB mode automatically aswell?

Not if you don't have the resistor, I think ?

Takosuke said:
Not if you don't have the resistor, I think ?
but when i put the power on th ePS2 the screen changes to AV mode and get picture,

when i do the same thing with my GC the tv swithces to AV mode and i get a black screen with only sound

Shompola

Banned
robertsan, your case sounds very weird. It's very hard to say why the cable acts that way with that TV especially when it works fine with PS2 RGB. It should work fine with both.
And as you have demonstrated your TV does support RGB, but it does not support native NTSC 4.43. But you should still get a color picture with the GC RGB cable as it bypasses NTSC. I think it's your tv, why I don't know though. Is the tv fairly new? fairly new as in bought in the past 10 years or so.

Shompola said:
robertsan, your case sounds very weird. It's very hard to say why the cable acts that way with that TV especially when it works fine with PS2 RGB. It should work fine with both.
And as you have demonstrated your TV does support RGB, but it does not support native NTSC 4.43. But you should still get a color picture with the GC RGB cable as it bypasses NTSC. I think it's your tv, why I don't know though. Is the tv fairly new? fairly new as in bought in the past 10 years or so.

yes the tv is kind of new, maybe its 8 years old or something.
the ps2 works fine on it.

let me explain something that i find strange:

When i hook up my GC to AV1 and press power on, the screen turns black and i hear sound.
if i change scart output on the back of my tv and press AV2 i will not get anything,but
if i play around with the tv´s controller"some tv has something called copy, i dont know what it is but it like changes the AV in somesort of way" if i play around copying AV1 to AV 3 and 2 i will finally end up with sound and B/W picture.

dont ask me why its like that bit i have done everything to try to get color, i even bought an original RGBscart for my GC but it still did not work.

i guess i have to buy a new tv :(

scarybore

robertsan21 said:
i got a cable like that aswell. i got a new tv and i got another problem than you do.

my problem is this:

I only play NTSC games"US games" when i hook up my PS2 to my TV"with an RGB scart" i get color and the game works perfect on my tv.

so my TV supports NTSC, but when i hook up my GC"japanese version" with my modded scart i dont get a picture at all, i only hear sound. so when i dissconnect my composit cable from the GC i get a picture but the picture is black and white!

I know that my modded scart works as i have used it on another tv and in that one it worked fine.

can someone please explain this?
i am getting tired of not being able to play my GC:(

Have you tried plugging in the GC cable into the same scart socket as you do with the PS2? Many TVs only have 1 scart socket that support RGB while the rest support composite which wont help you in your situation. Of course this only applies if your TV has multiple scart sockets.

If you still dont get a RGB signal after that I imagine you have a duff cable.

As for Takosukes problem, I can only imagine that he definitely has a duff cable if it turns the LED of his gamecube off :(

Shompola

Banned
well you can buy an s-video cable for the gc. it still looks very good IMO. too bad that you have spent a lot of money on these various cables not to mention a lot of head ache and time spent localising the error.

Shompola said:
well you can buy an s-video cable for the gc. it still looks very good IMO. too bad that you have spent a lot of money on these various cables not to mention a lot of head ache and time spent localising the error.

i have tried the same scart output as the one i use with the PS2 but without sucess.

I have an S-video cable and it still does not work :(

i have had so many problems since i moved abroad with my GC that its insane, first imagine this..i move to malta, buy an american GC from NCSX.com, when i get it and hook it up for the first time, i use the PS2 powerconverter and guess what happens BOOOM my first GC is toasted!

the day after i order a new american GC but ncsx.com are all sold out of modded american GC so they ask me if i want to buy a modded japanese gamecube, so i say hey why not so i buy that one instead.

and when i hook it up "and this time i am using a good powerconverter", i get no color.
so i order an RGB scart, and when i get it it does still not give the game color, so i look around on the net for a cable that works, and i find this brittish guy who makes a modded RGBscart/composit cable and i buy one from him.

when i get it it works!! GREAT i think and i keep playing for 5 months, then its time for me to move to a new apartment, i move in and this time i got a nice TV in my apartment"not like the last shitty Seleco tv that i had in my other apartment" so i hook up my GC and i turn it on and i get no damn picture at all!!!

Dammit i got mad, not again!!!

as you can see guys i have been so unlucky with my GC.

now my Ex is borrowing my GC and she has had it for over 5 months,"she is playing animal crossing, she cant get enough of it" i need to get my GC to work on my TV before RE4 is out..i dont feel like buying a new TV

Takosuke

I've got a S-video cable too, but I'm a maniac kind of guy, so I'm not satisfied with the funky colors the s-video delivers.

Maybe I'll try to remake the cable myself :/

Top Bottom