• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer (Vita) |OT| The Death of a Once Great Franchise

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
jABg2EI1pV8Gn.jpg

For Playstation Vita
Players: 1-7 online/adhoc
Online Leaderboards/DLC/More
$29.99 retail/$24.99 digital
Available now worldwide (NA coming March 13th)

BEAUTY & HIGH SPEED DRIFTING AROUND THE WORLD! The high-octane racing franchise drifts onto the PlayStation®Vita delivering stunning graphics and heart-pounding action that players can truly feel. Ridge Racer® features high-speed action, high-performance racing machines, and all-new gameplay additions creating an edge-of-your-seat experience only possible on the PlayStation®Vita. Racing fans can also take the action online and tear up the track against players from around the globe using the PlayStation®Vita "near" and Wi-Fi functionality and race against other players' ghosts anywhere at any time.

Vivid, next generation high-contrast graphics and advanced lighting effects powered by the PlayStation®Vita painting processor
An immersive audio experience with a dynamic soundscape that changes and evolves with each race according to the movement of your machine.
All-new custom drift system enables players to tune the action to suit their style of driving. All new "Machine Upgrade Map" customization allows players to upgrade functional parts and create their own original machines
New introduction of the Planetary League allows players to join in one of four racing teams and race against other players from around the world both at real-time and "anywhere at any time" by exchanging ghosts via "near" functionality.
Compete against up to 7 other players from around the world with online (ad-hoc, Wi-Fi) multiplayer.

Special Limited Time Offer:

As a token of appreciation for our most dedicated fans of RIDGE RACER’s classic beauty and blistering speed, NAMCO BANDAI Games America has decided to offer a free DLC pack for everyone picking up the game at launch and while supplies last. Fans who buy the retail version of RIDGE RACER for PS Vita will find a code inside the box for a free ‘RIDGE RACER Gold Pass’ which unlocks a wealth of extra DLC content completely for free. The same Gold Pass is also available for free to all fans who purchase the digital version of the game on PlayStation Network no later than April 30, 2012.

What exactly is in this pack? How about five free additional machines, three courses, and extra pieces of pumping background music to take you across the finish line?

Five additional machines: PROMESSA, ELENIE, DIGNISTAR, FATALITA and MELTFIRE
Three additional courses: Old Central, Sunset Heights and Lost Ruins
Two music tracks: NEW SONGS PACK 01
One new extended music mix: LONG MIX BGM 01

On top of this, fans worldwide should be happy to hear that upon the North American launch date, RIDGE RACER will be updated with an improved frame rate and crisper graphics for an even faster racing experience than ever before.

That won’t be the end of the expanding world of content on PS Vita for RIDGE RACER either. In April, we’ll be releasing more content in our ‘RIDGE RACER Silver Pass’ which will allow fans to access even more cars and courses at one low price. Stay tuned to this page on our website for details on the dates when all of this content will become available.

Reviews!
http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-vita/ridge-racer/critic-reviews

GamesRadar said:
I know I sound mad when I say the lack of content doesn't kill it, but it truly doesn't. I can tell I'm going to be coming back to this for months, even without the extra tracks. This is a surprisingly fun game and I'm glad it exists. Good ol' Ridge Racer.

Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux said:
Instead of focusing on Ridge Racer's strengths, Namco Bandai decided to try out a bizarre new business model. The game ships with just a measly five cars and three tracks. Yes, you read those numbers correctly.

Eurogamer Italy said:
Ridge Racer for PS Vita is simply the worst experiment in the video games industry that we've seen in ages.

Metro GameCentral said:
The gameplay alone is overfamilar enough but the appalling value for money and dearth of content makes this the worst Ridge Racer for years.

GameSpot said:
Ridge Racer offers incredibly poor value, with a lack of compelling content to back up its competent arcade racing credentials.

Eurogamer said:
This is one of the biggest disappointments of the system, and the year.

Play UK said:
Released for free, this would have been an interesting experiment – if still backed up with a boring, chugging racing game. As it stands it's the latter point mixed in with a £20-shaped slap in the face. Absolutely pointless.

PSFocus said:
This is still Ridge Racer as we've come to know and love it, so I guess it's not all bad. That said, if you're not a diehard fan of the franchise, you should stay away from this incredibly overpriced, surprisingly repetitive and framedrop-littered piece of garbage.

In Defense of Ridge Racer (by theSixthAxis)
Let me explain: this latest title doesn’t have a branching, linear career mode to battle through. It doesn’t have one at all, in fact. If you think back to how Gran Turismo worked on PSP, with the dip-in, dip-out mechanics of the Arcade Mode, Ridge Racer isn’t that far off. Except that now everything you do is tied to your team (which you choose when you start the game) and counts towards a grand, global tally.

I’ve read the feedback the game has been getting since its Japanese launch, and I can understand some of the frustrations, but Cellius’ attempt to take the game into a different direction works well with my addictive, compulsive nature. Because everything you do counts, whether it’s towards your own RPG-esque level or the greater good of your worldwide team, I feel like I’m actually contributing to something.

I normally fire up the game, do a quick single player race, then jump into the online time trials, download a ghost I know I’ll never beat and then run a few online races with the same sort of super-friendly Ridge players I’ve been competing against since the PS3. I like it, because it’s perfectly designed for mobile play, even if it does really need a web connection to maximise the benefits.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Holding out for a version, no matter how long it takes, in future which contains all the planned DLC.

Indeed. Buying this is saying it's okay to release games unfinished. Nope.

"Free DLC" is just another way to dress up a limited edition online pass. Why even make it limited time?

I'm a huge RR fanboi and I will buy it anyways (DD) because I just have to have an RR title handy so I can run a quick time trial from time to time
and I'm stupid as hell
... but I played the snot outta the original on the Playstation, and it had only ONE track, really (well, three variations on one track and reverse) and few cars as well... still this doesn't sound like it's going to be very well received in the West over-all... Does anyone know how it did in Japan?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
If only I had a time machine to back to when people ridiculed RR3DS profusely. Oh, the things I'm going to tell them.

ascully

Just looked inside my gaming closet and I have literally bought every version of Ridge Racer throughout the years. I have a Vita but will be skipping this one, see Namco you even alienated the most hardcore Ridge fans shame on you!!!!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Can someone give me a step by step process of downloading that screen multitouch demo of Ridge Racer from the JP store? I really want that thing... If I back up everything on Vita I can later restore it to what I have on it right now, correct? (As I'll have to format it to be able to use any JP content on it)

snap0212

I was so ready to buy this on launch but it just doesn't feel right to reward them with any money for the crap they're trying to pull here. I would have been fine with a Ridge Racer PSP remake (native res, 60 frames) but this just doesn't look compelling enough for me to spend any money on it.

They've basically done everything wrong. Lack of content, nothing special in terms of graphics or features – it's just a desperate attempt go grab some money without putting actual work into the product.

gkryhewy

Thread title is over the top. Ridge Racer 3D was great fun, and had both a ton of content *and* new tracks.

I'll be buying the Vita version on Day 1: please add me as a PSN friend (MannyBothans) if you intend on playing this a lot -- would be good to compare ghosts and all that.

- J - D -

If only I had a time machine to back to when people ridiculed RR3DS profusely. Oh, the things I'm going to tell them.

All the complaints about RR3DS are still valid, the Vita release just puts things into perspective. Who would've imagined it could get any worse?

KingJ2002

I think at this point... Ridge Racer might be better suited to an MMO model...

how much more can they do with this franchise?

it's been clear since RR6 that Namco would rather sell DLC and expansion packs than actually release a clear update.

I think it's best if they just created a Ridge Racer Universe where everyone lives in Ridge City and just race for experience points, buy and sell cars... work to gain access to rare parts or something.

Dinosur

If they really wanted to try out this ridiculous system, they should have went full F2P and included the game for free on the higher gig'ed memory sticks. Then you could nickle and dime an even bigger userbase.

Thread title is over the top. Ridge Racer 3D was great fun, and had both a ton of content *and* new tracks.

I'll be buying the Vita version on Day 1: please add me as a PSN friend (MannyBothans) if you intend on playing this a lot -- would be good to compare ghosts and all that.

I have it, if you want to add me: tommasoted. I have quite a bit of games, so i don't know how much I'll play in these days, but I'll definitely get down to it.

What I mean is, even after all the DLC I will end up paying less.
You expect to pay $15 or less for all the DLC in a Scamco joint? lololol

RR3D is $19.99 now anyway, and was $29.99 last summer. If you wanted to save cash you should've just waited. It'd probably be wise to do so again, I imagine RRVita will set a landspeed record to the bargain bin.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
All the complaints about RR3DS are still valid, the Vita release just puts things into perspective. Who would've imagined it could get any worse?

One big difference is that the 3DS RR now retails for somewhere south of $20, being a year old poorly selling launch title.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This is the generation where my love for Namco has turned to dislike.

A company that once threw everything but the kitchen sink into their games, is now giving the bare minimum, and in this case has sunk to a new low, thanks to the advent of dlc.

Ridge Racer Vita deserves to sell like shit, as does Tekken 3DS. Games that don't offer a complete experience that competitors in the same genre do.

A shame to say Namco, but I'm kind of enjoying watching every one of your flagship series becoming more and more irrelevant.

gkryhewy

I think at this point... Ridge Racer might be better suited to an MMO model...

I think it's best if they just created a Ridge Racer Universe where everyone lives in Ridge City and just race for experience points, buy and sell cars... work to gain access to rare parts or something.

Well, that's kinda what they're trying with this release:

(http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/01/18/ridge-racer-vita-and-why-three-tracks-isnt-so-bad/)

I’ve read the feedback the game has been getting since its Japanese launch, and I can understand some of the frustrations, but Cellius’ attempt to take the game into a different direction works well with my addictive, compulsive nature. Because everything you do counts, whether it’s towards your own RPG-esque level or the greater good of your worldwide team, I feel like I’m actually contributing to something.

I normally fire up the game, do a quick single player race, then jump into the online time trials, download a ghost I know I’ll never beat and then run a few online races with the same sort of super-friendly Ridge players I’ve been competing against since the PS3. I like it, because it’s perfectly designed for mobile play, even if it does really need a web connection to maximise the benefits.

There’s also a fairly robust upgrade structure, which lets you trade in credits won from races for a grid-based system of tweaks and boosts that you can fit into three slots on your car, which can also be modified slightly in terms of colour schemes. There’s the obvious nitro adapters which will give you the best speed, but I’ve seen some cars with all kinds of options fitted, depending on the track we’re on.

Indeed. Buying this is saying it's okay to release games unfinished. Nope.

"Free DLC" is just another way to dress up a limited edition online pass. Why even make it limited time?

I'm guessing Namco will still make more money from those who purchase on day one for £20, as opposed to when it hits the bargain bins / preowned shelves.

I'm usually down for some Ridge Racer but haven't picked this one up yet. Just too much bs to stomach this time. I may still pick it up at some point in the future because I'm weak but goddamn it scamco.

My only real beef with RR3D was no online (wtf?!) and no 60fps in 2D mode (laaaazy). Content wise it was pretty decent, and the best 1p experience among the launch lineup imo.

As much as I hate to admit, I will be downloading on day one from PSN. Going to save those 5 dollars.

Add me if you wish (chae3001). Don't expect much, as hitting the wall is a legitimate strategy for me.

gkryhewy

The bit about the RPG elements and perpetual world may be worth adding to the OP, if chubigans can find room between all the hate and snark.

Most positive official thread ever. Good vibes here man.

It's a real shame when those of us who are long-term fans of the series can't muster up much enthusiasm for this :(

It looks like it plays almost identically to RR7, which I loved, so I want to buy it, just can't justify it, no matter how cheap.

Top Bottom