• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer (Vita) |OT| The Death of a Once Great Franchise

krae_man

You expect to pay $15 or less for all the DLC in a Scamco joint? lololol

RR3D is $19.99 now anyway, and was $29.99 last summer. If you wanted to save cash you should've just waited. It'd probably be wise to do so again, I imagine RRVita will set a landspeed record to the bargain bin.

As far as I know there's only two DLC packs with the first one being free.

even $20 worth of DLC would cost less.

So this game doesn't maintain a constant 60? That's kind of a bummer.
Doesn't maintain a constant 30 going by the JP release. Maybe they've fixed that for the west though?

As far as I know there's only two DLC packs with the first one being free.

even $20 worth of DLC would cost less.
Er.... $45-50 < $40 ?!

And if they stop at the two DLC packs, you're still looking at less than half the content in RR3D.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Doesn't maintain a constant 30 going by the JP release. Maybe they've fixed that for the west though?

as mentioned in the last thread, game is a constant 30fps after the 340mb patch.

Not seen any slowdown at all since the patch.

DCharlie

I think i might be getting ahead of myself there - i downloaded a patch and the first new track.

lol.

Yikes @ the reviews.

Obligatory:
mJGLW.gif

krae_man

Er.... $45-50 < $40 ?!

And if they stop at the two DLC packs, you're still looking at less than half the content in RR3D.

$39.99+13% Tax =45.20

$24.99 + $20 = 44.99 sih(minus a penny for each DLC pack).

PSN doesn't charge tax anymore for some strange reason.

matmanx1

So for $30 ($25 digitally) you are basically getting 6 cars and 10 tracks, is that right? I know 3 and 5 ship on the disc but then the gold pass or whatever adds another 3 and 5? Or am I mistaken with that?

I'd like to play this one but probably not at the price Namco is asking. Shave about $10 off and 6 cars with 10 tracks is not a bad deal if the core gameplay is good and the framerate is fixed.

DCharlie

Also - i think the big issue with the game wasn't a "new business model" - the problem was the game just wasn't ready. Simple as that.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So for $30 ($25 digitally) you are basically getting 6 cars and 10 tracks, is that right? I know 3 and 5 ship on the disc but then the gold pass or whatever adds another 3 and 5? Or am I mistaken with that?

I'd like to play this one but probably not at the price Namco is asking. Shave about $10 off and 6 cars with 10 tracks is not a bad deal if the core gameplay is good and the framerate is fixed.

10 cars, 6 tracks actually.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
RR7 is the best ( still "alive" by the way) of the series,Namco should have just ported of that to Vita with new tracks.

Tain

DCharlie said:
as mentioned in the last thread, game is a constant 30fps after the 340mb patch.

ouch, can't do 30fps Ridge Racer when I still have so much unfinished stuff in RR6.

DCharlie

ouch, can't do 30fps Ridge Racer when I still have so much unfinished stuff in RR6.

Thought that with the 3DS version but ended up sinking 30 hours or so into it.

Actually put a fair bit of effort into this one too.

Every bone in my body is telling me to stay the hell away from this but.............its Ridge Racer.

Couple of questions then. I didn't realise the "gold pass" content actually came with the digital version as standard, so does this apply to the £16.99 version up on the UK store as well. Is there at least camera based motion blur there to at least make the 30fps look smooth? How much memory does the download version take after installing the gold pass and 340MB patch (wtf)?

£17 for a 30fps Ridge Racer with 5 tracks, am I really that crazy?

spats

Every bone in my body is telling me to stay the hell away from this but.............its Ridge Racer.

Couple of questions then. I didn't realise the "gold pass" content actually came with the digital version as standard, so does this apply to the £16.99 version up on the UK store as well. Is there at least camera based motion blur there to at least make the 30fps look smooth? How much memory does the download version take after installing the gold pass and 340MB patch (wtf)?

It's Ridge Racer. Riiiiidge Racer!

I have no attachment to the franchise whatsoever so the value proprosition sounds crazy to me. Have always wanted to try the games out though. Just not feeling very confident about this being my first proper exposure to the series.

It's Ridge Racer. Riiiiidge Racer!

I have no attachment to the franchise whatsoever so the value proprosition sounds crazy to me.

I don't expect others to understand, I don't really understand myself.

6 courses isn't that big a deal if they're all well designed and replayable, Daytona only has 3 but that was a steal on XBLA. When I saw it on the store I figured I had to buy the gold pass as well but if that's included I may be interested. Its really more the framerate, resolution and lack of a career mode that pisses me off the most.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I bought it on release in Japan, and I bought it again on UK release (for the DLC). The stuttering in corners was annoying but the patch dealt with that. It feels like a 30fps RR7 which is pretty good but not ideal (would prefer Rage/type 4) - the drifting is a little too robotic like RR7.

Overall I'm enjoying it, and I like the odd 'contribute to a disembodied team' concept too.

the free DLC is clearly Namco realising they made a mistake going for a low initial price

mrklaw

MrArseFace

you buy the download version, the DLC automatically becomes free in the store.

BTW, if you're unsure, ping me and you can have my physical Japanese version. Try it out and if you like it, buy the UK version and pass the game on to someone else. Need to spread the love.

Oh boy, I just went ahead and bought it. The Gold pass does indeed unlock for free in the UK as well.

I only see one car and one track on the store atm, so are the others getting released at a later date? Only the 3 included and 1 DLC course to start with?

snap0212

you buy the download version, the DLC automatically becomes free in the store.

BTW, if you're unsure, ping me and you can have my physical Japanese version. Try it out and if you like it, buy the UK version and pass the game on to someone else. Need to spread the love.
Huh? So the Gold Pass doesn't have to be bought in order to get the content (if I buy the PSN version)?

Could anyone break down what I get if I buy the DD version now? How much content can I access right away and how much additional content will I get (for free?)? :/

Bumhead

Banned
I still kind of want this even though I have absolutely no affinity to the series.

It's priced quite reasonably in the UK and I figure the UK's bomba economy is going to push this down closer to £10 sooner rather than later. Hope the Gold Pass stuff lasts until it does.

Huh? So the Gold Pass doesn't have to be bought in order to get the content (if I buy the PSN version)?

Not at all, as I just found out. The way it is presented in the store though, you'd have no idea because there isn't a single mention of it in the listing.

Jimrpg

the hype for this made me go buy ridge racer 2 for the PSP. $8 Aussie at EB Games... steal. Comes with 42 tracks...

Seriously, what is up with this 340MB patch? There's no new content just bug fixes and performance tweaks according to the patch notes, really annoying that they couldn't get that in order when the memory cards are so expensive.

Any work on when the rest of the gold pass DLC will be released?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just play Ridge Racer Type 4 again. And if you haven't played it, you're in for a treat.

A big reason for me wanting this Vita is the online. As soon as I can transfer R4, I will though.

Seriously, what is up with this 340MB patch? There's no new content just bug fixes and performance tweaks according to the patch notes, really annoying that they couldn't get that in order when the memory cards are so expensive.

He may be right but also clarified and said it may have been a track pack too.

addyb

I got this at uk launch and it's horrible. The worst of the series for me. Sold it the next day. I'm sorry RR you now sit on the pile with cod for the franchises that are currently dead to me.

That patch had better be on the cartridge when this comes out in the U.S next week. I value the space on my 4gb mem card. :/

Being a long time Ridge fan I feel an obligation (and excitement) to buy this game. The graphics look nice enough, and the gameplay looks fun, as always. I just got so much out of the PSP game, that even 5 or 6 tracks could keep me entertained for a while.

My only big concern is someone's comment earlier that this game is brutally difficult. Is this true? I appreciate a challenge, but I don't want something ridiculously difficult.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
If the frame rate has really been fixed by the patch, I'm OK with a rock solid 30fps. It's not a racing sim.

Honestly, given the extra content for early adopters and the low price for DD edition (25 bux) I'm kind of curious. I could see the quick fire play style working, grinding exp and racing worldwide ghosts for the team meta game.

I guess, it depends on just how much content they're going to support this with down the road and if it'll get actual new courses instead of remakes.

Xun

Ridge Racer really hasn't evolved at all since the first PSP game, and it's a shame what has happened to the franchise.

Also speaking of Unbounded I actually think it looks fun, but mainly because of the similarities to Burnout.

DCharlie

Ridge Racer really hasn't evolved at all since the first PSP game, and it's a shame what has happened to the franchise.

Also speaking of Unbounded I actually think it looks fun, but mainly because of the similarities to Burnout.

Ironically for all the bad mouthing this game gets it at least -does- have some new ideas in there especially in terms of the leveling/upgrade thing and the "contribute to a team" idea.

It's not quite as filled out (yet?) as it needs to be but they did at least try somehting different. Again, i think it became clear at the back end of last year that they just weren't ready for launch and rather than just delay the game they pushed it out as is and it's backfired on them.

Anyone care to give some detail on the RPG elements? What do you get when you level up besides bragging rights?

Very roughly :

you get XP points per race and per finish - with these points you progress through a "skills" grid that adds different Nitro types, different bonuses (boosted starts) etc etc. As you level then the competition online changes becuase of the skill mix - the online can be segregated by level or you can have an open-to-all race where you play no matter what skills you have.

You know, this aint half bad. There is clear player progression here, you're just not dictated what tracks you have to race. its actually not a bad format.

If the frame rate has really been fixed by the patch, I'm OK with a rock solid 30fps. It's not a racing sim.

Honestly, given the extra content for early adopters and the low price for DD edition (25 bux) I'm kind of curious. I could see the quick fire play style working, grinding exp and racing worldwide ghosts for the team meta game.

I guess, it depends on just how much content they're going to support this with down the road and if it'll get actual new courses instead of remakes.

Its a solid 30fps.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
You know, this aint half bad. There is clear player progression here, you're just not dictated what tracks you have to race. its actually not a bad format.

Its a solid 30fps.

Ok, good. And the player progression sounds pretty cool for what seems meant as a true pick up and play portable racer.

For 25 bux digital + early adopter DLC, I'll give it a shot next week.

Wonko_C

I bet Ashphalt: Injection will sell more than this.

Ugh. Even if Asphalt has more content and Ridge Racer had only 1 car and 1 track I'd still pick it over that pos. That game is so insipid that it doesn't feel like you're playing anything, and I don't mean it plays itself, I mean that I feel absolutely nothing while playing it. I can't even tell if the handling/physics are bad or good or even mediocre. The game literally has no soul, I couldn't even force myself to finish one race in the demo before deleting it.

Top Bottom