• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ridge Racer (Vita) |OT| The Death of a Once Great Franchise

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Solid 30fps" is an oxymoron, especially for Ridge Racer (or any racing game).

and yet people keep trotting out "just play R4!" which runs at... :O

A "Solid 30fps" whilst far from the 60fps ideal isn't quite the horror fest it's made out to be. RR 3DS and RR Vita (post patch) are both prefectly enjoyable - prepatch was a different story though.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Let's see. Ridge Racer is $30, and has ten cars and six tracks when the DLC coupon is counted, and has no career mode. Asphalt Injection costs the same, has 15 tracks plus five reverse tracks, 45 licensed cars, and a career structure. Just sayin'. I bought Asphalt, no regrets.

Peterthumpa

Let's see. Ridge Racer is $30, and has ten cars and six tracks when the DLC coupon is counted, and has no career mode. Asphalt Injection costs the same, has 15 tracks plus five reverse tracks, 45 licensed cars, and a career structure. Just sayin'. I bought Asphalt, no regrets.

Ridge Racer is just a former shadow of itself nowadays, but comparing it to Gameloft's crapware like Asphalt is way exaggerated.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I'll buy Ridge Racer once it hits $10. The dollar to gameplay ratio is just not good.

again - that's the thing. The game is growing and it -is- getting better, the structure is a bit "Wtf" at first but it makes sense for what it is. With a few extra tweaks it could have been something truly spectacular and different.

I'm enjoying it - the gameplay:$ ratio has been good so far - about 58 offline races , a few online, a handful of ghost races.

If Cellius do have a plan to flesh out what they are doing with the social side of it and the global team stats etc then it could become -essential- and, no, i'm not kidding.

Game -deserved- the crap it caught when it came out, but they've made strides to fix things up. Still a ways to go but i've absolutely no regrets buying the game.

Akala

all about it. going digital, will buy DLC till they stop making it. I will waste all the money, idolmaster style.

For all of Ridge Racer's faults, even with just one car and one track it would still be better than any Asphalt game.

whitehawk

Banned
The turd that just got flushed down my toilet would be more entertaining than Asphalt Injection.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
all about it. going digital, will buy DLC till they stop making it. I will waste all the money, idolmaster style.

9PeXa.jpg

Admittedly I'm going to try this since I can get it for $25 digitally.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
what a depressing thread title. :(

*hugs rrv and rr7 tightly*

and no, 30fps ridge isn't worth playing and that includes t4!

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I was going to buy this, but instead I bought the first PSP Ridge Racer instead. One of my favourite games of all time. Looks infinitely better without the purple ghosting too.

I wasn't gonna buy this, but $25 for 6 tracks isn't so bad. It's not great, but after the shitwich they released to the rest of the world this seems like a bargain somehow.

Also i'm stupid.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Is time compression an available track on ridge 7? Say what you want about the game itself, but R:racing had a badass soundtrack.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
All could be forgiven if the game had some decent music, but NOPE, they couldn't even muster that.

Ridge Racers for PSP has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard in a game.

Chrome Drive, Light Groove, Disco Ball - so good I thought they were licensed tunes at first :p

You are so right, ms. Lewis. I was so disappointed that 7 didn't have those tracks that I actually bought the music packs for the game online. No I'm not proud but as far as I can remember it's still one of the only times I've ever bought DLC.

gkryhewy

Ew.

Jonnyram

Stuff that needs patching into the actual main game, rather than DLC.

1. Career mode, or at least some kind of race sets.
2. Angel, Devil and some other weird fucking car.
3. Option to have music set to random every race.
4. Option to set level of online races + option to disable upgrades.
5. Rear view mirror.

I am keeping an open mind, I'm a huge RR fan. I mean who isn't?

My Amazon order is already in "shipping soon" status!

O31Gl.jpg

Oh and this thread title is shameful. I request an update to something non-trolling.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Oh and this thread title is shameful. I request an update to something non-trolling.

No.

I mean, even if this style of game works and it's a lot of fun, there is absolutely zero excuse why it shipped with so little content. None. It is a terrible value. Doesn't necessarily mean it's a terrible game, but Namco shouldn't be left off the hook.

nofi

No.

I mean, even if this style of game works and it's a lot of fun, there is absolutely zero excuse why it shipped with so little content. None. It is a terrible value. Doesn't necessarily mean it's a terrible game, but Namco shouldn't be left off the hook.

I was the guy that wrote the 'in defense of' blog. It's not really in defense of anything, but I did try to paint a different picture than the various reviews are kicking out. Here's my review for reference.

It's an average game, for sure, but it's not terrible. I like the approach, and post-patch it's rock solid. Yes, it's only 30fps, but it's better now than it was.

I appreciate it's not for everyone, but it's not the wreck that many like to think, at least in my opinion. I like the light experience points stuff and the big 'team' thing, even if it's marred by a lack of tracks at launch.

I bought it as well. But it is basically the same game that is available in iOS for US$ 1.

Terrible graphics (no drivers in car, etc), and same old tracks. Not that the tracks on RR are new, but they at least look better.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Quality over quantity for me. Asphalt plays like dogshit in comparison.

A very simplistic driving model, poor track design, ugly visuals, and a generic package that is very grind happy. It's a Gameloft game through and through. What good is the extra content when the core game is so poor?

Ridge Racer is a pretty limited package, but the core game is so much better than Asphalt and the few tracks it DOES include are excellent.

Tain

Yeah, the low number of tracks really isn't killer, here. I'd probably have already bought this if it ran at 60fps.

as it stands, maybe i should get RR7

Yeah, the low number of tracks really isn't killer, here. I'd probably have already bought this if it ran at 60fps.

as it stands, maybe i should get RR7

RR7 is one of the most beautiful games this gen. Full 1080p native and smooth 60fps. It's like an alternate universe where performance was paramount.

After Ridge 6 and Ridge PSP, I was a bit burned out on the formula, but definitely not a game a regret purchasing.

Does it have Platinum trophy ?

Hmm I think they made a huge mistake no making it $10 PSN title and then flooding store with cheap DLC packs

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
That DLC coupon is the only thing keeping this Ridge Racer from being a complete rip off.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I bought it as well. But it is basically the same game that is available in iOS for US$ 1.

Terrible graphics (no drivers in car, etc), and same old tracks. Not that the tracks on RR are new, but they at least look better.

Maybe not in the iOS version, but there are drivers in the cars in the Vita version.

Jimrpg

they should have named the game ridge racer prologue... to save themselves from all the backlash.... its at half price anyway

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

If you're going to throw in Asphalts reverse tracks then make sure you mention that Ridge Racers are reversed as well making it 12 tracks + future DLC.

Yes there is lacking content but boy does it feel like a next gen title in presentation. It is a very polished game with heaps of tuning unlocks. (I never played RR6 or RR7 so can't compare in that department).

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
My Amazon order already shipped; getting it tomorrow.

Despite all the glaring problems with this game, I'm still more interested in it than I was with Wipeout. I love Sega and Namco arcade racers.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
My copy is "Shipping Soon" from amazon. I played the hell out of Ridge Racer PSP when it launched. I plan on doing the same with this. But be warned: playing against me online may lead to fits of laughter that may hinder your times. I am that bad.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Surprised at Amazon shipping it so URLEY. Too bad Namco won't post the PSN version early, ha ha.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Surprised at Amazon shipping it so URLEY. Too bad Namco won't post the PSN version early, ha ha.

After the Unit 13 fiasco with online passes, I am staying far away from any digital game that has a pass/code attached to it. Early or not, I am still going retail.

Top Bottom