• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rio Olympics : Egyptian Judoka Refuses to Shake Hands With Israeli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I guess anti-semitism, just like racism, is also quantum locked...

but I thought the Israeli government was a shining beacon of democracy in the middle east. Aren't the Israeli citizens electing governments that represent their beliefs and enact policies they want?
Just like all Americans, particularly its athletes, are to blame for electing Bush and starting the second Iraq war, right? I think all other non-Americans who oppose this war, particularly Middle Eastern athletes, should refuse to shake hands with American athletes as a form of "protest".

I can't believe you are actually making this argument... even sarcastically

Mr. X

It's easy to say he should do the right thing and all and I 100% agree with that but I have no idea how his home country would react or treat him when he returns or his family.

Not saying I know he wanted to do it or anything, he could very well think and feel whatever way about it. Food for thought because I know people might forget how Peter Norman was treated after the 68 Olympics.

MikeDown

Banned
Dishonorable but probably smart given where he lives.
Pretty shitty and not really in good sportsmanship, but you gotta think about where he lives and what kinda of backlash he might receive. Just like how it probably wasn't a good idea for that north Korean gymnast and south Korean gymnast to take a selfie together.

Saw this on reddit. If the guy is going out of his way to shake your hand, then suck up your pride and be a good sportsman. He could have used the opportunity to be a role model to the idiots on twitter and his country.

or die for it, but at least he would have see5harp's approval and he could rest easy knowing that

Kinyou

or die for it, but at least he would have see5harp's approval and he could rest easy knowing that

If it's really that fucked up in egypt then his life is in danger anyway for losing to an Israeli. Basically, if he has concerns like that, don't participate.

Also I in case people already forgot:

Meanwhile the state heads had just a political meeting - shaking hands was part of the meeting.

rtsh5nc2qu5d.jpg

well as an arab, I do understand why he didn't shake his hand, some might consider him as traitor (of Islam) if he did, but if I was in his place, I would have shook his hand, but I might want to move to another country for my safety...

olympia

Pretty shitty and not really in good sportsmanship, but you gotta think about where he lives and what kinda of backlash he might receive. Just like how it probably wasn't a good idea for that north Korean gymnast and south Korean gymnast to take a selfie together.

i don't think the selfie is a big deal. sports diplomacy is pretty vaunted in dprk

Jinkies

Obviously it's very bad, but this also isn't exactly uncommon at the Games (regardless of the circumstances) and it is always met with rejection from the crowd.

If it's really that fucked up in egypt then his life is in danger anyway for losing to an Israeli. Basically, if he has concerns like that, don't participate.

Also I in case people already forgot:
I'm sure the foreign minister has pretty good security.

Kisaya

what grievances specifically are you talking about?

She describes many instances of humiliating and sometimes horrifying discrimination against Moroccan, Yemeni, Tunisian and other Jews as they found their lives subsumed beneath the prevailing Ashkenazi culture. Some North African Jews were allowed in only after being sprayed with disinfectant. The picture is one of exploitation and mistrust, based largely on the Arab Jews’ resemblance – even linguistically – to “the enemy” and leaving them still at the bottom of the heap today.
— Israel’s humiliating discrimination against Arab Jews

Typically, Arab and Eastern culture was seen by the ruling Ashkenazi elite as inferior and primitive, especially as many Middle Eastern Jews (referred to as Mizrahim) of Israel – Yemenites in particular – were poor and lived in the slums. What followed was a form, regarded by many, of cultural oppression, whereby Arabic and Mizrahi music were banned on Israeli radio for decades.
— Living on the Edge (great article about Yemenite Jewish music)

Interesting that the athletes aren't allowed to make "political" gestures, but certain people whine when a member of the crowd is removed for a political sign.

shandy706

well as an arab, I do understand why he didn't shake his hand, some might consider him as traitor (of Islam) if he did, but if I was in his place, I would have shook his hand, but I might want to move to another country for my safety...

This is sad...and sickening.

Shame any human has to live with this fear or any form of backlash for being KIND or a GOOD SPORT.

Ridiculous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom