• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RIP to the Inventor of General Tso's Chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Creating amazing food gets you to 98 apparently. Big Mac founder and general tsos founder in the same week. RIP.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Search for General Tsao is on Netflix, if you want to see him shit on the American version of the dish. lol

jstripes

Banned
That food is really tasty, but I'm not gonna mourn too much for a guy who lived to 98. I'll leave that to his family.

damnit I haven't had a chance to get a Big Mac and now I have to get some General Tso.

RIP good sir. So many of my Saturday night game sessions were fueled by your amazing creation.

smurfx

get some go again
god bless this man and his brilliant invention. RIP

tVeH9O3.gif

ElRenoRaven

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can take celebrities 2016 but not this saint. Not the man who created the greatest Chinese food item there is.

Yamauchi

Banned
I always thought this recipe had a connection to a historical General Tso that fought for the Qing Dynasty during the Taiping Rebellion, like the recipe was served in his army or something. I have no clue where I read that, but apparently it wasn't accurate.

No! What the hell? I just had General Tsao for dinner tonight, and then I find out that its creator died. That sucks.

RIP, man. You made my favourite Chinese-food dish.\

#Fuck2016

Belker

There's a very good book called The Fortune Cookie Chronicles, by Jennifer 8 Lee, that goes into the history of this dish and the history of Chinese food in America. It touches on all sorts of things, such as the life expectancy of Chinese food delivery people and the economics and logistics of migration and the restaurant trade.

We don't have General Tso's Chicken here in the U.K. The book was the closest I got to it.

Geist-

I need to go get a dish of General Tso, it was always my favorite dish.

At this point I'm honestly entertaining the idea that the world just doesn't want humanity to last passed 2016 and all these deaths are precursors to the inevitable death of all of humanity on December 31st.

AaronB

The creator of General Tso's chicken, and the creator of the Big Mac ascend together. I wonder if all the stuff that's happened this year just had to occur to balance out the Cubs winning the World Series.

One consolation is that this year's Dave Barry's "Year in Review" should be beyond amazing.

fenners

We don't have General Tso's Chicken here in the U.K. The book was the closest I got to it.

You're right - I genuinely don't remember ever seeing/hearing about it until I moved over to the States. It's omnipresent over here, a total fixture of every Westernized Chinese place.

coy

Try and catch the documentary if you get a chance it is entertaining. That said, General Tso's Chicken was something I chose often when hitting up a Chinese joint.

RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom