• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Panda Express launches General Tso's Chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
But none of those places around me have zero wait. Which is the whole point of Panda. It's fast food chinese

Most any chinese food place lets you call the order in ahead of time and just pick it up when you get there. You still have to physically get to Panda Express so might as well just skip that and go to an actual Chinese food place.

TraBuch

Banned
A Panda Express opened up here a few months ago. It's not bad. Not as good as local Chinese places, but I go there every so often when I wanna pick something up without the wait. Plate with chow mein, orange chicken, and teriyaki chicken is my go-to. I'm actually eating some right now. Noticed the General Tso signs but I didn't wanna risk it. The stuff I don't like there, I really don't like.

BossLackey

Gold Member
I don't give a fuck what people think about Panda Express. Their orange chicken is the shit and this addition is sadly blowing my mind. General's chicken is my go to at any other Chinese place. Time to get fatter.

PE is relatively solid. It's not ever going to be your #1 choice, but it always works in a pinch. Their teriyaki chicken is pretty good, too.

Most any chinese food place lets you call the order in ahead of time and just pick it up when you get there. You still have to physically get to Panda Express so might as well just skip that and go to an actual Chinese food place.

Which is often not that easy, if a place it out of the way, you area at work/school, etc. The point of fast food is if you are near it and need instant food, it's there.

Its no different from eating anything you can order and pick up quick at better places either. Fast food is all about location convenience for folks, and lot of Panda Expresses do drive thrus too which is a bonus for many people on the go

BumRush

I'll be honest...while I'm not a big fast food guy and do prefer authentic Chinese, in a pinch, I'll grab a two item combo over fried rice and devour it.

I always assumed they were like a cheaper/fast food version of Chinese food....but like they cost the same amount as real Chinese and it's way worse

They're worse than a nice Chinese place like PF Chang's or Bo Ling's, but better than most local strip mall heinously shitty Chinese buffet places. Panda Express uses breast meat for their chicken, and their crappy frozen vegetables tend to be somewhat crisp. As opposed to the scary "small buffet" places that are prolific in American suburbs, where food stays in the line for days at a time until it's slimy and General Tso's chicken is almost always gizzards, and the pork is offal meat.

Note that everything I just said is talking about American style Chinese: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Chinese_cuisine

...authentic Chinese is a completely different cuisine.

kirblar

The-Search-for-General-Tso.jpg

btw this was an entertaining doc on netflix.

China like
NEqyWj0clSKUur_1_4.jpg
On their website they link to a trailer for it, looks like they may have added it to the menu explicitly because of the documentary.

American Chinese food is great comfort food, but there are some real shitty steam table places. Panda Express is at least alright because there's a level of quality control.

SeanC

General Tso is one of my favorites. But I'm not getting the Panda Express version of mediocrity and shame.

Dishwalla

Banned
Really wish this chain had more stand alone locations, most of the ones I can think of are in malls and such(including the closest one, which is like 5 minutes away). Really don't want to go to the mall just for Panda, but I kind of want to try this.

The only stand alone location I know of is in Chesapeake, a 20 minute drive away. Don't know that it's worth it.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Really wish this chain had more stand alone locations, most of the ones I can think of are in malls and such. Really don't want to go to the mall just for Panda, but I kind of want to try this.

The only stand alone location I know of is in Chesapeake, a 20 minute drive away. Don't know that it's worth it.

Hmmm, here in KC there are quite a few standalone locations. In fact, I've only seen 2 that weren't.

platocplx

The-Search-for-General-Tso.jpg

btw this was an entertaining doc on netflix.

yeah that was an incredible documentary. One part literally had me dying when they talked about how they adjusted food and basically assimilated to the white majorities tastes.
very mild and bland flavor
now i know not all white people eat that way but i found it pretty amusing.

kirblar

Hmmm, here in KC there are quite a few standalone locations. In fact, I've only seen 2 that weren't.
They're getting more common as the model shifts to outdoor big box/walkable developments away from malls/strip malls, and restaurants from fast food to fast casual.

tebunker

Banned
Had PE for the first time last month. Its just okay, I have had better/cheaper Take out, and there is definitely much better Asia/Chinese/Chinese American cuisine at those prices.

However it is great for the convenience and the location was good, and to be honest the wife And I couldn't haul the kids in to the really awesome Peter Chang's around the corner. Chang's was also in the process of building out a dumpling shop too we regret missing out on.

Figures I move away from home and some really awesome Asian restaurants open up there.

HoodWinked

i bet if you served someone who has a disdain for panda express and simply said that it was from a local chinese restaurant they'd magically say its decent or good.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
1) Weird that Panda Express has never had General Tso.
2) Weird that two Panda Expresses have appeared near me in New York.

The latter is weird because hole in the wall Chinese places are half the price, double the food, same speed to prepare and has a chance of being better. One place I know sells a ton of the best kung pao I've ever had with white rice for $5 during lunch. I can't imagine them surviving in NYC.

SoulUnison

Banned
How is Panda Express just NOW getting General Tso's?

Tso's is one of the staples of slightly-crappy Americanized Chinese food, and that's Panda Express' exact market.

NastyBook

Hey, Panda Express, you think you could put even more chopped up lettuce/cabbage into your already small amounts of Lo Mein?

Assholes...

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
Panda Express is shit tier. No matter where you live there's a better, cheaper place with bigger portions.

Preach! I can get a three meat combination for less than a single plate at Panda Express and the food is just as good. The only thing Panda Express has going for it is their honey walnut shrimp, which is now a 1.25$ Premium. Plus the wait at my local PE is long as hell.

What bothers me is that when I get broccoli beef, I get 3 pieces of beef with more broccoli than I know what to do with.

Or that they count the Walnut shrimp they give you.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
As far as Fast Food chinese goes, I've never been disappointed with Panda Express. Decently priced, food always seems hot and fresh, and it's always been tasty.

I love their orange chicken but it's so, so bad for you...might have to drop in and try this sometime.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
This thread convinced me to get Panda Express for lunch. A new one opened up around the corner.

I damn this thread. I curse you OP.

Bad food is bad.

Panda Express is great in the exact context where I am hungry, and there's nothing better around. It's affordable enough, fast, and usually pretty tasty.

I really wish they'd improve their fried rice, though. Maybe start carrying Pork Fried Rice as a premium side option.

Also for people whining about authenticity, this is the restaurant that added bacon to Orange Chicken just because they could.

s8vLqd2.jpg

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
I've never went to Panda Express, if I want Chinese I go to a real Chinese restaurant. I always figured Panda Express was the Taco Bell of Chinese food.

-d0hv

bryehn

In Canada, I'd argue that General Tso's is the most popular dish in any given Chinese restaurant. Crazy that a place the size of Panda Express is just adding it now.

johnsmith

remember me
But none of those places around me have zero wait. Which is the whole point of Panda. It's fast food chinese

Call ahead and it'll be ready by the time you get there, and some places have delivery too. My favorite place at work will always say "ready in 5 minutes" when we call no matter how big the office order is. And it's fresh. No idea how they do it.

Love Panda and Sweetfire Chicken is my fav but it is always a risk when you get anything that has fruit or veggies in it. I have often been like wow 2 pieces of chicken and heaps of pineapple and red pepper! That is why I get 2 entree plate with the second option of Orange Chicken (all meat).

Their Fortune Cookies are addicting but they recently went to some hashtag nonsense on the fortune.

mdubs

Banned
As a child I only had authentic Chinese food, so discovering the Mandarin was an impressive and tasty moment. Never felt the hype about authentic Chinese over North American Chinese food (and I live in the GTA with a bazillion authentic places around so it isn't an issue that the places I ate at were bad)

ElRenoRaven

Panda Express suck balls.

Yes it does. Tried it once and it made us all sick.There is a cheap store brand that we buy which is damn good and blows Panda express out of the water. Wish I could remember it's name right now. Course neither beats the real deal at the Chinese buffet here in town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom