• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Ronin demo now available

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
I2o3bgr.jpeg

Via Gematsu & PlayStation

A free demo for Rise of the Ronin is now available for PlayStation 5 via PlayStation Store, publisher Sony Interactive Entertainment and developer Team NINJA announced.

The demo features the first chapter of the game’s story, and save data can be carried over to the full game if you decide to purchase it.

Team NINJA also shared various player data collected since the game’s March 22 launch:
  • Story Choices
    • Gonzo
      • 35 percent of players killed Gonzo
      • 65 percent of players spared Gonzo
    • Faction Siding
      • 62 percent of players sided with the Shogunate
      • 38 percent of players sided with the Anti-Shogunate
  • Forging Your Fate
    • 42 percent of players achieved Level 4 personal bonds
    • 30 percent of players started romances
  • Combat
    • 1,9235,232,468 countersparks were performed
  • Difficulty
    • 36 percent of players selected “Dawn” difficulty
    • 51 percent of players selected “Dusk” difficulty
    • 13 percent of players selected “Twilight” difficulty
    • 18 percent of players selected “Midnight” difficulty
  • World Exploration
    • 16 percent of players collected all 100 cats
    • 35 percent of players defeated all 50 fugitives
Watch a new trailer below.

Vlodril

Trying it out so far it seems pretty cool. Gameplay is smooth. Nier like but without (so far) the stances. Lot's of loot like previous games. Very nice setting. Seems inspired by Ghost of Tsushima in some aspects but graphics wise it's a generation behind that game.

Markio128

Gold Member
I spent 30 minutes trying the demo and let’s put it this way, it didn’t win me over at all. Considering these guys made the Nioh games, I’m flabbergasted. Granted I didn’t make it past the tutorial area, but it did nothing to compel me to continue.

Deleted.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
So were the low reviews justified?
Honestly I don't understand reviewers, the game is pretty good and unveils a lot of mechanics throughout the game(maybe too much?).I really liked the game and am part of the all fugitives killed ...My girlfriend did the cats....And she fucked the cat lady(it's not really a cat lady , just the girls to wich you "bring" the cats).

Aion002

Gold Member
I spent 30 minutes trying the demo and let’s put it this way, it didn’t win me over at all. Considering these guys made the Nioh games, I’m flabbergasted. Granted I didn’t make it past the tutorial area, but it did nothing to compel me to continue.

Deleted.
The game gets a lot better after the tutorial.

There's a lot of things to explore, many different play styles (similar to Nioh) and story choices.

Unfortunately the graphics are not the best, but if you can get past it, it is a good game.

But yeah... The beginning is terrible and limited, but after getting to the open world part (is really short after the tutorial), you might enjoy it. You should give another try, at least try to complete the demo (it covers the first chapter) it will give a better idea of what the game has to offer.

Markio128

Gold Member
The game gets a lot better after the tutorial.

There's a lot of things to explore, many different play styles (similar to Nioh) and story choices.

Unfortunately the graphics are not the best, but if you can get past it, it is a good game.

But yeah... The beginning is terrible and limited, but after getting to the open world part (is really short after the tutorial), you might enjoy it. You should give another try, at least try to complete the demo (it covers the first chapter) it will give a better idea of what the game has to offer.
I may try it again at a later date, but I just didn’t enjoy the feel of the game, if that makes sense. I don’t like to compare games, but GOT had a great story based tutorial with all sorts of shit going on, whereas ROTR has you running around a lacklustre area with wooden swords. Not exactly compelling stuff.

Spyxos

Gold Member
The first introductory trailer looked interesting, but everything I saw after that was somehow very mediocre. To those who have played it.... is it any good?

Bry0

I loved it, completely cleared the map, killed all fugitives, collected all cats, then killed all secret fugitives. I just couldn’t stop.

Nice! The game has great amputation. Also if you are someone that wants to see what a souls game is like that has an easy mode you can toggle when you want, this is it.

Killjoy-NL

Meh, Team Ninja has always been overrated and the gameplay in the trailers looked like PS3-era.

Weird choice to release a demo now.

El Muerto

Gold Member
I rented this game thru Gamefly. I didnt know what to expect. It's somewhere in between Ni-Oh and Ghost of Tsushima. I was expecting a chill adventure game but the difficulty on medium is almost as hard as Ni-Oh which may turn people off on the game. I completed both Ni-Oh games so i'm really enjoying Rise of the Ronin so far. Wish it was on PC because it runs like shit on PS5.

StueyDuck

the game is totally a fine experience, it really is ac japan in many areas except the combat is actually snappy and good in comparison.

while i'd never say its the most amazing game ever and you totally have to play it, the weird discourse and hate this game got around launch was strange.

It's definitely too long and the idea that bosses never actually die becomes kind of infuriating.

it's more an 8 than a 7 though. I'd say give the demo a try if you are even remotely interested.

Boss Mog

I'm kinda surprised that most people went with the shogunate. I'm guessing the game features the Shinsengumi? The Shinsengumi are always popular even though they were on the shogunate side.

Mr Hyde

Nice with a demo. Going to try it out at some point, but playing Elden Ring, AC Valhalla and FF7 Rebirth back to back has burnt me out on open world games.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Played a little bit. It is fun. I am struggling with parrying but im guessing it will click soon. I do like the combat.

Visually it doesnt look as bad as i thought it would be but its also very underwhelming at the same time. definitely an upgrade over Nioh.

Luipadre

Gold Member
Wait a minute!!

The file size of the demo is over 90GB!?!

That’s larger than most games

Why?

Because its the full game. You playing a trial version of it and if you decide to buy it, you can continue without more downloads. Its easier this way than making a separate demo client

Last edited:

rm082e

Played it last night up to the boss on the ship. Seems pretty solid. The environment does feel a little empty. I wish there was more stuff to loot or interact with in between the enemy encounters, but the fighting is good.

Boy the English voices sounded bad. I quickly switched to Japanese.

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm kinda surprised that most people went with the shogunate. I'm guessing the game features the Shinsengumi? The Shinsengumi are always popular even though they were on the shogunate side.

Honestly it really doesn't matter. You can even "time warp" and make other choices after doing missions so there's basically zero repercussions for picking either side. You're never really "locked in".

Plus in the last act the game dumps so many new characters on you I was completely zoned out and just picked whatever. Ultimately both sides are assholes in one way or another.

Thought it was decent, but I can wait for a deep discount.
A lot of bloat in the gameplay systems which seems to be Tecmo’s calling card recently.

Ozzie666

Was a nice game to play when Shogun was airing, really scratched that Samurai itch. Odd that the Demo is out now though.

Top Bottom