• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risk of Rain 2 coming to PS5, Xbox Series on August 27 alongside DLC ‘Seekers of the Storm’ | Free upgrade for PS4 & XBO owners

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire

Via Gematsu

Gearbox Publishing and developer Hopoo Games will release Risk of Rain 2 for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series on August 27 alongside the launch of its second premium expansion “Seekers of the Storm,” the companies announced.

Users who own the PlayStation 4 or Xbox One versions of Risk of Rain 2 will receive the PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series version as a free upgrade. The PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series versions will offer new features such as couch cooperative split-screen play, 4K resolution at 30 frames per second, and 1440p and 1080p resolutions at 60 frames per second. The PlayStation 5 version will also offer new visual and audio effects available via the DualSense wireless controller.

“Seekers of the Storm” will be available for all platforms for $14.99. Chef was also announced as a new playable survivor. Get the details below:

Chef makes a triumphant return and is ready to utilize his abilities to dish out the pain:
  • Dice – Hurl your cleavers at faraway enemies and call them back to slice and dice with twice the pain. Monsters hit on the return journey will take an additional chunk of damage.
  • Sear – brings the burn. Chef cooks monsters for big damage while inflicting burn on all enemies in range.
  • Roll – The longer you spin up the more damage Chef will do as it speed ahead on its Roller knocking back and stunning enemies in its path.
  • Glaze – roll along a wave of oil while slowing all enemies in your path. Any enemies impacted will be stunned and take increased damage.
  • Chef’s Kiss (passive) – If you hit two or more skills before finishing them off, they’ll turn into a delightful treat. The healing from these can really help you out in a pinch.

I bought the Seekers of the Storm DLC on August 27th (the release day), and I still haven’t figured out how to upgrade from the PS4 version to the PS5. I heard that the upgrade was supposed to be free, which I thought was really cool of the developers not to charge for it. But so far, no option to upgrade...

On another note, I have to say how much I love this game, though I do have some complaints. I’m not sure if you guys agree with this, but I found the game got way harder after the first DLC (Survivors of the Void). I mean, it’s almost impossible, even on drizzle difficulty, and I can barely complete a loop, whereas before, I’d regularly do 5, 6, 7 loops... I still don’t get how the difficulty curve spikes so much after the first DLC.

Another thing: I think the new survivors —from both DLCs — are effing terrible.

By the way, does any fellow Gaffer play RoR2 regularly on PSN and would be willing to team up online with a noob? My PSN nick is EvilSmurkKing, and I think I need some help, lol.

OctopusBox

Neo Member
I bought the Seekers of the Storm DLC on August 27th (the release day), and I still haven’t figured out how to upgrade from the PS4 version to the PS5. I heard that the upgrade was supposed to be free, which I thought was really cool of the developers not to charge for it. But so far, no option to upgrade...

On another note, I have to say how much I love this game, though I do have some complaints. I’m not sure if you guys agree with this, but I found the game got way harder after the first DLC (Survivors of the Void). I mean, it’s almost impossible, even on drizzle difficulty, and I can barely complete a loop, whereas before, I’d regularly do 5, 6, 7 loops... I still don’t get how the difficulty curve spikes so much after the first DLC.

By the way, does any fellow Gaffer play RoR2 regularly on PSN and would be willing to team up online with a noob? My PSN nick is EvilSmurkKing, and I think I need some help, lol.
I just logged in on the PS mobile app and found the game, switched to the PS5 version and it let me add it to my library and download it. I just did it a minute ago so maybe you’ll have better luck now.

noobdoomguy8658

Neo Member
That's somehow the exact opposite for me when it comes to Survivors of the Void as a PC player.

Either way, any thoughts on Seekers of the Storm and its future, anyone? I'm sure the new team will be able to handle the bugs and maybe even the animations at some point, but I wonder how far they are willing to go.

Then again, Gearbox wouldn't buy out the IP for just one DLC only to fail it and not work on fixing their own mess, right?

I’m not sure they’ll ever manage to fix all the bugs in this new DLC; everything takes forever about this game.

But, putting the bad stuff aside, “Seekers of the Storm” seems way better than the first DLC, “Survivors of the Void”... I really dig the new environments, loops, and the overall vibe, plus some of the tweaks they’ve made.

However, the new survivors? Kinda lame — feels like a nerdy bad joke. And the items? Honestly, there was so much potential for more interesting Survivors or ones that would’ve spiced up the gameplay.

Yesterday, I managed to snag the free PS4 to PS5 upgrade, but ran into an annoying new bug. This new version (PS5) doesn’t recognize that I bought the first DLC (Survivors of the Void); it only shows the second one and just gives me the option to buy the first one again. How can they screw up something so basic?

I contacted Sony, and they said they can’t fix it because they don’t have access to the accounts or something like that.

Honestly, it’s just one disappointment after another, and it’s a shame because there are a dedicated fanbase for this game for a while now. I bought both DLCs on release date, and it’s always this mess. It’s disrespectful, and it’s about time they to show a little bit of efficiency and respect for their fanbase.

noobdoomguy8658

Neo Member
I’m not sure they’ll ever manage to fix all the bugs in this new DLC; everything takes forever about this game.

But, putting the bad stuff aside, “Seekers of the Storm” seems way better than the first DLC, “Survivors of the Void”... I really dig the new environments, loops, and the overall vibe, plus some of the tweaks they’ve made.

However, the new survivors? Kinda lame — feels like a nerdy bad joke. And the items? Honestly, there was so much potential for more interesting Survivors or ones that would’ve spiced up the gameplay.

Yesterday, I managed to snag the free PS4 to PS5 upgrade, but ran into an annoying new bug. This new version (PS5) doesn’t recognize that I bought the first DLC (Survivors of the Void); it only shows the second one and just gives me the option to buy the first one again. How can they screw up something so basic?

I contacted Sony, and they said they can’t fix it because they don’t have access to the accounts or something like that.

Honestly, it’s just one disappointment after another, and it’s a shame because there are a dedicated fanbase for this game for a while now. I bought both DLCs on release date, and it’s always this mess. It’s disrespectful, and it’s about time they to show a little bit of efficiency and respect for their fanbase.
Seems pretty bad. Doesn't help Gearbox to be releasing this as their first very own content after purchasing the IP. Assuming they care.

I would probably go for a refund to send a good message, but I never bought the DLC in the first place.

Kinda sad to be seeing this, because I was one of the optimistic voices when the acquisition happened. I'm still happy for the original devs, because it seems like it was a good deal for them and, well, they had released games some of which I consider my all-time favorites, but I think I wish only the best for Risk of Rain.

Paltheos

The game did get more difficult. Blind Vermin are substantially more aggressive than Beetles, and Blind Pests are tougher and more damaging than Wisps (and can appear on stage 1!). Xi Constructs are extremely mobile, deal crazy DPS when they're lasering, and are tough for even ranged survivors to fight. I checked just now and apparently Larva, the jumping assholes that explode when they hit the ground, were also part of the first DLC and not part of the base game apparently - they're also pretty annoying!

It's manageable though like the base game, but consistency - for Risk of Rain that term means 'the odds of getting a good run jumpstarted' - is lower than before. Sometimes you won't get the right items and you'll get overrun by Blind Vermin or you can't take out the Blind Pests fast enough and they land a few shots.

Disagree on the DLC survivors. Railgunner is crazy strong. Maybe he's tougher to play on console but KB&M he's really strong because he turns the game into an FPS. Void Fiend has a heal built into his kit and has a high-dps, piercing beam as his primary when corrupted. His only drawback is you need to be careful what healing items you pick up since you want to manually manage your corruption bar and he's a little reliant on crit glasses to get going. They're both really strong.

Haven't tried enough of the DLC2 survivors to say. I only have Seeker unlocked and he's been underwhelming except for the resurrect on his ultimate which is... useful in Risk of Rain lol. Oh, and his utility, which is also is also great. It's a built-in Strides of Heresy that you can shut off whenever and travels faster. Sure you take damage yourself after a couple seconds but w/e. The movement on it is easy to use and extremely effective. Damage has left a bit to be desired - Really seems to need syringes and overall DPS is low. Seems like more of a support survivor though (probably why the community doesn't like him because they all play alone).

The game did get more difficult. Blind Vermin are substantially more aggressive than Beetles, and Blind Pests are tougher and more damaging than Wisps (and can appear on stage 1!). Xi Constructs are extremely mobile, deal crazy DPS when they're lasering, and are tough for even ranged survivors to fight. I checked just now and apparently Larva, the jumping assholes that explode when they hit the ground, were also part of the first DLC and not part of the base game apparently - they're also pretty annoying!

It's manageable though like the base game, but consistency - for Risk of Rain that term means 'the odds of getting a good run jumpstarted' - is lower than before. Sometimes you won't get the right items and you'll get overrun by Blind Vermin or you can't take out the Blind Pests fast enough and they land a few shots.

Disagree on the DLC survivors. Railgunner is crazy strong. Maybe he's tougher to play on console but KB&M he's really strong because he turns the game into an FPS. Void Fiend has a heal built into his kit and has a high-dps, piercing beam as his primary when corrupted. His only drawback is you need to be careful what healing items you pick up since you want to manually manage your corruption bar and he's a little reliant on crit glasses to get going. They're both really strong.

Haven't tried enough of the DLC2 survivors to say. I only have Seeker unlocked and he's been underwhelming except for the resurrect on his ultimate which is... useful in Risk of Rain lol. Oh, and his utility, which is also is also great. It's a built-in Strides of Heresy that you can shut off whenever and travels faster. Sure you take damage yourself after a couple seconds but w/e. The movement on it is easy to use and extremely effective. Damage has left a bit to be desired - Really seems to need syringes and overall DPS is low. Seems like more of a support survivor though (probably why the community doesn't like him because they all play alone).
Thanks for the insights Paltheos! I´ll try them for sure now. Last night, I managed to reach the False Son (don´t remember the name of this new boss), and I thought everything was really cool, even though it totally kicked my butt, lol. Anyway, so far, this DLC is way more interesting than Survivors of the Void (and I wont be buying this again for the PS5 version... Fuck them)

TehDark

Banned
The series X version is fucked you can't get past the title screen, when it rains it pours when it comes to Xbox.

Top Bottom