• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band Blitz |OT| Rocking Out in the Instrument-Free World

To get a high score -> you need powerups
to use powerups -> you need coins
to get coins -> you need to play without any powerups.

whoever thought this was a good mechanic needs to get fired.
especially since this game is meant to be all about high scores.

It just reaks of something a F2P game would use....
EXCEPT ITS NOT FREE. I PAID MONEY FOR THIS.
why do i have to deal with this BS coin mechanic?

Have you tried completing challenges on Rock Band World? You can get a ton of coins through that.

totowhoa

Banned
Man, I was actually looking forward to this game. Thanks for saving me the mobey GAF... Definitely don't want it as a track pack alone, and the main game sounds broken as fuck.

So this may be mostly due to mister Brian Chan at Harmonix? It's too late for me to research the issue further, but I'll remember the name. A shame since I loved Harmonix's output, and now I'm glad I waited on this one now.. I do not like what the sound of this system at all.

BigDug13

I had more fun playing through the songs on my pro drums in RB3 than I did in this game. Really hate the coin mechanic.

Ozone

omg xbox avatars are hilarious haha. i only have a ps3, so i haven't really seen them much at all.

300 unique songs? how many are in rock band 1-3 and this game? that seems like an impossible achievement/trophy for me unless i buy a lot more dlc (i prob have bought max 50 songs).
Yeah, I got that Super Sonic outfit free when I pre-ordered Sonic Generations. It was so stupid looking I just had to keep it on.

And I'm an RBN author + Rock Band fan since the first game, so I have WELL over 1000 songs. But here's the breakdown from exports, Blitz, and free DLC:

47: Green Day Rock Band
45: LEGO Rock Band
18: AC/DC Live
55: Rock Band 1
79: Rock Band 2
25: Rock Band Blitz
7: Free DLC (Includes RBN Megamix Vol. 1, which is 360-exclusive)

That's 276.

A1w_1UyCMAEBe8V.jpg

Feels good to get that out of the way.

I know that feel. I hit the wall at around 250 songs and had to will myself to grind out those last 50.
Untitled-8.png

Scott

But here's the breakdown from exports, Blitz, and free DLC:

47: Green Day Rock Band
45: LEGO Rock Band
18: AC/DC Live
55: Rock Band 1
79: Rock Band 2
25: Rock Band Blitz
7: Free DLC (Includes RBN Megamix Vol. 1, which is 360-exclusive)

That's 276.
Just for the sake of having a comprehensive list, there are also a few track pack discs available:

20: Vol. 2
20: Classic Rock
21: Country
20: Metal
21: Country 2

As I mentioned in my previous post, there are those 20 free songs available with new copies of Rock Band 2 (with the manual code), and then there are also another 6 DLC songs included with purchase of the PLUS version of Green Day. All told, 379 songs available either via export or as free/bundled-in DLC, bringing the overall total with Blitz to 404 songs.

Scapegoat

Really hate that if you lose connection to the central server you can't attempt to reconnect, you just forfeit your score right off. Just lost a GS and my net didn't even go down...

jgkspsx

*snip awesome*

I don't necessarily disagree with Chan about learning from social games, though: there are definitely important things to learn from social games about how we can be compelled. I just feel that they're lessons about what not to do.

Yeah, that about covers it. Though you didn't mention that the game is built to leak personally identifiable information about players through the leaderboards. I have never seen an XBL game leak my real name to the general public before. I wonder if Microsoft is even OK with that.

Holy Wars

Banned
Man, I was actually looking forward to this game. Thanks for saving me the mobey GAF... Definitely don't want it as a track pack alone, and the main game sounds broken as fuck.

So this may be mostly due to mister Brian Chan at Harmonix? It's too late for me to research the issue further, but I'll remember the name. A shame since I loved Harmonix's output, and now I'm glad I waited on this one now.. I do not like what the sound of this system at all.

I don't know who he is, but he's all over the loading screen texts with unfunny stories. Combine that with the coins and he's my enemy now.

I miss when the loading screens had fun facts about the band, rather than wacky and randum Harmonix stories xD xD xD

Fox Mulder

Have you tried completing challenges on Rock Band World? You can get a ton of coins through that.

I'm never going to link this with Facebook. I don't like games that give unlocks or bonuses for it letting it spam you, so I hate games that use it as a core feature like this..

Oh well, this awful game has at least made me a little interested in playing RB again. I downloaded all of my DLC again for this, so I'll finally get RB3 and try to find a guitar somewhere. Nobody sells them new anymore and gamestop doesn't have them used.

marjo

This is what one of the developers (hmxhenry) posted on the official forums.

Coins (as with most any in game economies) are used to power unlocks or upgrades. You don't start Zelda with a full load out of weapons and when you run out of arrows you may need to buy more. In Blitz, coins will help fuel your power ups and the more coins you have the better your power up load out. If you do well, you should be able to recoup most of those coins, prevented you from having to "camp" or grind songs.

Additionally, rewarding extra coins for playing new songs actively discourages grinding, as you'll get more coins for playing new songs than you will for replaying the same songs over and over again. On top of that, it encourages users to try Score Wars and RB World Goals, where you should have no shortage of coins to fuel your power ups.

Whoever wrote that should be barred from ever working in the game industry again. It shows a complete lack of understanding of the entire medium, and the different types of games out there.

The reason why unlocks work in games like Zelda is because you are progressing through a campaign trying to reach the end. Rock Band Blitz is completely different. It's about getting high scores. There's a reason you don't see 'economies' in games like Geometry Wars.

I have nothing but contempt for whoever came up with this ridiculous system.

Yeah, I got that Super Sonic outfit free when I pre-ordered Sonic Generations. It was so stupid looking I just had to keep it on.

Every time I get another stupid looking Avatar Award I immediately hop into a Full House Poker match and show it off. That game is great, but it's even better when you're sitting at a table full of people with hilarious avatar items.

Whoever wrote that should be barred from ever working in the game industry again. It shows a complete lack of understanding of the entire medium, and the different types of games out there.

Hah. My immediate reaction upon reading that was "This guy has never played a video game in his life."

Holy Wars

Banned
HMXhenry is a community manager I believe, so it's his job to post complete bullshit to deflect from criticism of the game. I would certainly hope the more useful people at Harmonix aren't that stupid. You tried something, it's a complete fucking disaster, you say you can fix stuff without a patch, just change it so if you get, say, 3 or 4 stars on a song you break even. It's not complicated. If there has to be this absurd system make it so that you're rewarded sufficiently for doing decent.

Holy Wars

Banned
The only challenges I have left are things like "get 30 stars on Foo Fighters/Queen/fucking awful bands I can't recall the name of". Is that "play unique songs until you get 30 stars total" or can I just replay the same song over and over?

jgkspsx

Oh, good point. I have six Queen songs and am pretty good. I'm not buying any tracks for the goals, period. I have 24 stars now, so I guess I'll try one of them again and see if the count goes up.

I'm never going to link this with Facebook. I don't like games that give unlocks or bonuses for it letting it spam you, so I hate games that use it as a core feature like this..

Oh well, this awful game has at least made me a little interested in playing RB again. I downloaded all of my DLC again for this, so I'll finally get RB3 and try to find a guitar somewhere. Nobody sells them new anymore and gamestop doesn't have them used.

Rock Band World doesn't notify people that you're using the application :|

The game itself is fantastic and has prompted me to redownload my whole RB library on to a new system.

The coins system... well, come on now. I thought the FB interaction was quite cool an idea, but then realised how much you have to use it: it's not another way of accessing/sharing challenges, it is the essential bits of the base game.

I hope they do a big patch on it: fix up the economy, pull more of RBWorld in game (showing off what it does in game too is a much better ad for the app then just 'Go find it!!!!') and fix up some of the offline play too. It's funny - the gameplay was what I was dubious of first time I saw a video and that's the bit that's pretty much bang on.

Was just going to buy this, so if I don't have a Facebook account its worthless?

If you have a load of Rock Band songs you'll still get great value out of it (and a cheap track pack) but you'll not really get to use powerups as much thanks to the economy.

...using the word 'economy' to describe a game. Well, I'm off to hit myself.

Fox Mulder

So is ebay the only way to find these games now? I got RB 1 and 2 at gamestop, and they had lego rock band, but that only has an in box code to export the songs right?

Best Buy didn't even have any of the games.

jgkspsx

Amazon, I guess.

Did I get cheated out of the community goal? I played a classic rock song in the timeframe before the goal was completed, but it doesn't show up on my profile.

marjo

LOL. So I wrote a post on the Rock Band forums criticizing the coin system and facebook integration and suddenly I've lost posting privileges.

I guess being once owned by EA has rubbed off on Harmonix.

Ridley327

EA didn't publish Rock Band, either; they handled distribution on them, similar to what they did for Valve's boxed games. MTV Games was the publisher.

LOL. So I wrote a post on the Rock Band forums criticizing the coin system and facebook integration and suddenly I've lost posting privileges.

If this is true, and your post was not offensive, then yeah **** Harmonix. Whoops, I was offensive.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

I don't know exactly what you posted, but that sounds terrible. And I have a feeling this isn't the first time they've done something like that

marjo

If this is true, and your post was not offensive, then yeah **** Harmonix. Whoops, I was offensive.

I don't think it was offensive, but it's difficult to judge your own posts.

Here's what I wrote in response so someone mentioning that the coin system works well since the game was designed around the facebook stuff:

"So the game was designed around something that isn't actually in the game?

I don't use facebook, and have no intention of starting now. Requiring it's use to be able to play the game as intended is the epitome of poor design.

As is, Blitz, and it's unnecessary coin 'economy' is practically worthless as a game for me. It's a game built around getting high scores, which, since I'm always so coin starved, I can only attempt every second or third run. Should I, and people like me not be able to enjoy the game we payed good money for?

I honestly don't understand why anyone would defend this horrible design decision. "

Montresor

I dislike the coin system and the base gameplay very much, but I just 400/400ed it. I'm done.

A1w_1UyCMAEBe8V.jpg

Feels good to get that out of the way.

I know that feel. I hit the wall at around 250 songs and had to will myself to grind out those last 50.
Untitled-8.png

Awesome work everyone. And I assume thekonamicode definitely 500'd it too.

Any tips for gold stars? =) I'm about to try my hand at Kids In The Street. I loooovve that song so much.

So is ebay the only way to find these games now? I got RB 1 and 2 at gamestop, and they had lego rock band, but that only has an in box code to export the songs right?

Best Buy didn't even have any of the games.

Wal-Mart has LOADS of AC/DC rock band for just 5 bucks.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Wow. I think this is the beginning of the end for Harmonix.

I'm more interested in where they planned on going from here. I guess maybe they could get a little more mileage out of the Rock Band and Dance Central franchises, but surely they've got something else in the pipeline, no? Gotta be at least thinking about moving onto something new...

Montresor

HELL yes. I just gold-starred Kids In The Street using Jackpot/Blast Notes/Super Guitar.

I exploited long double guitar sustains in Jackpot mode to get huge Jackpot bonuses.

I would have preferred the original versions of those songs, but that's still my favorite addon pack for RB. Especially on guitar.

Awesome work everyone. And I assume thekonamicode definitely 500'd it too.

Any tips for gold stars? =) I'm about to try my hand at Kids In The Street. I loooovve that song so much.

Jackpot/Blast Notes/And then whatever instrument has the most solos. Road Rage works well too but isnt guaranteed to generate as many points.

Montresor

I would have preferred the original versions of those songs, but that's still my favorite addon pack for RB. Especially on guitar.

Jackpot/Blast Notes/And then whatever instrument has the most solos. Road Rage works well too but isnt guaranteed to generate as many points.

Here you go. Just stay away from pinball and max out your multipliers before every checkpoint and you should be fine.

Thanks. Also, I've been posting loads of times under my gamertag on that first solution. I never noticed the second solution underneath that had power-up loadouts instead of gold star cutoffs. Nice.

Fox Mulder

yeah, I bought that back in the day and the track pack was in my download history. I picked up RB1 to export again, and I see you need RB3 to export the RB2 songs. Lego has an in box code you redeem, so I don't want to risk buying it used.

Maybe I'll just use these tracks for this game and hope they patch the gross economy, but I was also a little interested in playing RB3 now. Gamestop doesn't have any guitars. Amazon only has them from third party sellers, and the prices are insane. Maybe goodwill has some.

Holy Wars

Banned
I don't think it was offensive, but it's difficult to judge your own posts.

Here's what I wrote in response so someone mentioning that the coin system works well since the game was designed around the facebook stuff:

"So the game was designed around something that isn't actually in the game?

I don't use facebook, and have no intention of starting now. Requiring it's use to be able to play the game as intended is the epitome of poor design.

As is, Blitz, and it's unnecessary coin 'economy' is practically worthless as a game for me. It's a game built around getting high scores, which, since I'm always so coin starved, I can only attempt every second or third run. Should I, and people like me not be able to enjoy the game we payed good money for?

I honestly don't understand why anyone would defend this horrible design decision. "

I've had the misfortune of reading that thread. You have to understand anybody who is still posting on the Rock Band forums is so emotionally invested in Harmonix that it is impossible for you to raise any kind of valid points against them. And that's exactly the kind of atmosphere Harmonix has always tried to encourage.

Some of the rationalisation for the coins in that thread is just completely brain damaging.

vdlow

I have a doubt, and maybe you guys can help me. I bought Rock Band Blitz from the canadian Playstation Store, and I wanted to buy some dlc using some dollars that I have on my US account's wallet. Even with my game being bought on the canadian store, will the dlc bought on the US store work with the game?

marjo

Looks like I owe Harmonix an apology. I logged out of their forums, logged backed in, and now I can post again. Sorry for jumping to conclusions.

Roto13

I have a doubt, and maybe you guys can help me. I bought Rock Band Blitz from the canadian Playstation Store, and I wanted to buy some dlc using some dollars that I have on my US account's wallet. Even with my game being bought on the canadian store, will the dlc bought on the US store work with the game?

It should work, but if you want to give it a go, try downloading one of the free DLC songs from your American account and see if it works.

I've had the misfortune of reading that thread. You have to understand anybody who is still posting on the Rock Band forums is so emotionally invested in Harmonix that it is impossible for you to raise any kind of valid points against them. And that's exactly the kind of atmosphere Harmonix has always tried to encourage.

Some of the rationalisation for the coins in that thread is just completely brain damaging.

That's not true at all, I spent years on the forums and as long as the complaints were well written and not spit out like twelve year old trying to be seen things were debated well.

Then again, I haven't been a regular for a year+ :/

Top Bottom