• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rock Band Blitz |OT| Rocking Out in the Instrument-Free World

Holy Wars

Banned
Well, I consider the game itself as an incentive to sell more DLC. Some people prefer this game over Rock Band 3, so they will get DLC for this game instead. I doubt it will be many, but it might boost the sales a bit.

It's definitely the Facebook app they want people to use to get more coins, not new songs.

Well I stopped playing RB ages ago but I've bought some songs for Blitz. I have no issue with that.

The app is just baffling, because it's o easy to run through the challenges in an hour, and then an hour later you're out of coins.

Holy Wars

Banned
the_rock_clap_clap_gif.gif

Neverfade

Sorry this is only partially related, but what's the cheapest I can get a RB3 Keyboard bundle? Got a hankering for more Rock Band proper and got out of it after 2.

chixdiggit

Are you confused? Amplitude (PS2) did not let you use your own music. It was the direct ancestor of Guitar Hero.

If you're thinking of Audiosurf, this really strikes me as a clone of that, powerups and all. However, the mapping of required actions to the music is much tighter and more direct, and of course each track is separated into a different lane. Audiosurf tends to relax me, whereas this one is extremely hectic. I think each has really compelling features, but I think this is better as a game.

IMO, this game is only worth the price if you have Rock Band 3 and significant quantities of DLC songs and would like to have more than a couple songs from the 25 songs it comes with. It's a lot of fun IF you have a huge Rock Band library, like I do. It would get incredibly boring extremely fast if you don't. (On top of that, you will not have enough coins for powerups without playing the same songs over and over again unless you have lots of DLC, which I pray they will fix in a patch. It's the single worst design decision I've seen in a game this year.) In practice, it's pretty much a reward for longtime Rock Band fans.

That said, if you haven't tried Rock Band 3, I'd highly recommend it, though the instruments are expensive these days.
I was meaning AudioSurf. Thanks for the diagnosis.

Remy

So I found an interesting glitch today, and clearly I'm not the only one who has.

There's a very small number of songs that have single tracks - the two I'm aware of are Piano Sonata No. 11 (from RBN) and Song Of The Century (from RB:Green Day).

Turn on Pinball Note and the respective track doubler (Keyboard for Piano Sonata, Vocals for SOTC). Watch as you get instant gold stars within the first 30 seconds of the song. Also watch after you finish the song, as the pinball keeps bouncing while the "finish screen" is up and you keep getting points for it.

I got 4.6M on Piano Sonata *without* the track doubler. I think I saw a 10M+ score on the leaderboard.

SOTC is much shorter but again, you don't really have to do anything for the gold.

This also works okay on songs with two tracks (like Landslide) since you have a pretty high chances of keeping the pinball in play without trying.

VanWinkle

*great stuff*

Man, can't tell you enough how much I agree. I'm finding myself more and more frustrated. And now I haven't played the game at all today (been playing it a couple of hours every day since it came out) and don't feel like playing. You shouldn't make a game that someone will only be compelled to play for a few days before giving it up because of its ridiculous coin system.

Well said.

Personally, I don't think it's a bad thing that they want to try and sell more DLC. It's not like we'll ever get Rock Band 4, so sooner or later RB3 DLC will die out. A side game here and there might help boost things a bit so that we can get more DLC.

People will buy more music if they love the game. Forcing them to buy music just to play the game is going to result in more people acting like me and telling Harmonix to ride a fat one. The main problem with the game is that it's not fun without powerups. Not even a little. And that's fine. Powerups are essential for scoring. It's a high-score based game. When you can 5 Gold star a song and come away with fewer coins than you paid to play the song, you failed miserably as a game designer.

As far as "learning from social media" is concerned - we have a society already on XBL and PSN. They're called Friend Lists as well as everyone else who bought the game and is playing online. I've never played any game on XBL and wished "Dang, I sure would love it if this game would make me log into my computer to continue playing this console game. That would be dandy!" Even as a Harmonix fan in the past, I regret giving them my money. And I won't be upset if the game fails hard. Poorly designed games should.

Excellent summmary of my feeligns

Pretty much what i think right now ..

i have + 200 songs of dlc ..and i was really looking forward to play this game but ...i've stopped ..the coin system preventing me for using power-up is a total shame .

It's a shame because i have 2 platic guitar and both are broken so i had another opportunity to enjoy those dlc i've bought ..But i can just reach 4 stars at best ..
Another reason is that i've bought another rythm game that reward me plenty for following the music with plenty of points/goodies ( project diva F on vita ). As said above when the game is against you , you can't have fun ...and i'm having fun with my other alternatives ...

People will buy more music if they love the game. Forcing them to buy music just to play the game is going to result in more people acting like me and telling Harmonix to ride a fat one. The main problem with the game is that it's not fun without powerups. Not even a little. And that's fine. Powerups are essential for scoring. It's a high-score based game. When you can 5 Gold star a song and come away with fewer coins than you paid to play the song, you failed miserably as a game designer.

As far as "learning from social media" is concerned - we have a society already on XBL and PSN. They're called Friend Lists as well as everyone else who bought the game and is playing online. I've never played any game on XBL and wished "Dang, I sure would love it if this game would make me log into my computer to continue playing this console game. That would be dandy!" Even as a Harmonix fan in the past, I regret giving them my money. And I won't be upset if the game fails hard. Poorly designed games should.

You really don't have to buy any DLC for this game. The only thing you have to do is connect to Facebook to be able to enjoy the game. That's where the coins are. The measly coins you get by playing a new song won't last you long.

VanWinkle

Exactly. Great example is Motorstorm RC. It's HUGELY social, but it's all connected in the game. It doesn't require any third-party service. And it's awesome.

Roto13

You really don't have to buy any DLC for this game. The only thing you have to do is connect to Facebook to be able to enjoy the game. That's where the coins are. The measly coins you get by playing a new song won't last you long.

Yeah. You *might* get enough coins from a new song to play one song with all three powerups once. I don't think the double coin bonus for new songs is supposed to entice people to buy new ones.

On the song Shout - one of the harder songs on the Blitz soundtrack to gold star - there's an easy trick for a gold star. Before and after the second solo are long guitar sustains. If you setup with Jackpot/Whatever (I prefer blast notes)/super guitar, you can rack up 75-100k points on each of these sustains while using Jackpot. I ended up with 551k points on the first try after using this, which is good for #2 on the Xbox leaderboard. Feel free to knock my cheese score down a few places.

As for note powerups, blast notes seems to be the only viable note powerup save for a few situations in the Blitz soundtrack when you might want to use runaway notes. Pinball is just about useless if you're going for a high score on a busy song, and flame notes cause to much chaos and missed notes with the constant switching. Blast notes can be used strategically, and you don't need to go out of your way to grab it unless its advantageous. Highly recommended.

Scapegoat

This is bothering me. I'm a huge Rock Band nut. I've spent thousands of dollars on these games.
Right on, man.

I'm primarily a lurker, and when I read all the negative first impressions earlier in the thread I thought "it must just be the idea of the economy/having to unlock the perks that annoys them, I'm sure however they implemented it will make sense and be balanced".

But after unlocking and using some of them the way the economy works is baffling. Why do abilities cost so much/you earn so little? It seems like the whole purpose of the economy (if you don't have facebook) is to play every song once, get a shit score, then you'll have horded enough points to do a second play through of all the songs with perks on, and fingers crossed you get a high score?

Montresor

The game is amazing. The game play is fucking superb. I love juggling instrument lanes. It's so fast-paced. And I'm starting to love a lot of the songs in Blitz's tracklist.

Regarding money, I've completed almost every reasonable Facebook goal, and have been playing lots of DLC on my way towards the "Play 300 unique songs" achievement and I'm swimming in coins (41k and counting). I don't think I'll ever be starving for coins. The only thing that will stop me from gold-starring the 25 Blitz songs will be my own skill level, I think, and not any coin shortage (hopefully!).

But it cannot be overstated enough that the coin system is very bad design. They need to be more generous with coins. I think I only have so many coins because I never spend any coins playing my DLC songs. That means that I will end up with hundreds of DLC songs that are only 3 or 4 starred regardless of my skill level. If you don't use the Facebook app, then whatever, I think that's your own fault. It's not that big of a deal to make a fake FB account and get some free coins. BUT the real crux of the issue here is that people with not a lot of DLC are getting fucked.

It did feel good though to go all out with power-ups for the DLC song "Geraldine." My score is number two in the world there, haha.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
SUPER SLAM

Bravo for this, seriously. I was thinking about turning on the 360 today since I had some extra downtime and checking out the demo for this but damn. Not even going to bother looking at it again until Harmonix takes care of this awful coin shit. I seriously expect that from a facebook game, not a game that connects to facebook, but a game on facebook. Or an arcade machine.

I know it's called Xbox Live Arcade but damn son.

Montresor

Just racked up 1.3 million on Camera Eye by Rush ... so if anyone is looking for a bucket of points, try it out!

I love scoring high on these random DLC songs and hitting the top of the leaderboard.

edit:

And for the record, although I agree with most of PlagueFox's post, I would still recommend Rock Band Blitz to any RB fan that already has tons of DLC (300+). I am NEVER EVER going to be strapped for coins, and so spending currency for gold-star attempts on the main track list won't be a problem.

The real issue here is that I'm only "coin-rich" because, like I've mentioned before, I'm spending coins very rarely when playing DLC, so I'm ending up with a sea of 4-starred songs.

Not a big deal to me, because I'm still greatly enjoying the game. But it's a real flaw that should be mentioned regardless. I should have a sea of 5-starred DLC songs instead of what I have now, and also have tens of thousands of coins left over for gold-star attempts on the main tracks.

Coins should be a gamble. If I spend a lot of coins to use 3 powerups and I succeed, I should be rewarded for that gamble. That's how a proper game works. You don't spend a lot of coins just to **** yourself for doing well. I just can't fathom how that conversation went down in the design meeting and they all came away agreeing that earning less than you spend even if you do as well as the game allows(5 gold stars) was a good move.

Now imagine someone that dislikes plastic instruments and has no extra tracks, but enjoyed Amplitude, buys the game. The grinding for coins in that scenario must be awful. As much as I dislike it, those people must be raging.

You don't want to consider the pinball behavior with a single track broken? Then how about the pinball continuing to bounce on the finish screen and giving you an extra 100K?

That's how the pinball works, it's behaving as intended, so it's not a glitch. Power-ups are supposed to work beyond the end of the song, like how 2x also doubles your ending bonus if you have it active at the time. The only reason the pinball doesn't behave like that on a normal song is because you lose control of it, where you can't in a one-track song.

Holy Wars

Banned
The game without power ups is so dull. So super dull. You know you'll probably get 4 stars, and you know you'll end up only making 250 coins or so at best.

Anyone who is smart enough to own Nothing's Shocking by Jane's Addiction, Thank You Boys is an easy song to get 5 stars on with no power ups, and it doesn't last long. I just play that 5 times or so before I play the game proper -_-

vg260

Good post Plaguefox. I hope Harmonix is taking note. When the die hard RB fans are having major issue with the game design there's a problem.

Ridley327

Good post Plaguefox. I hope Harmonix is taking note. When the die hard RB fans are having major issue with the game design there's a problem.

Unfortunately, they seem to have a knack for missing obvious stuff; RB1 had the locked character profiles that prevented them from using another instrument, RB2 had no real way to display stars in quickplay, RB3 has all sorts of issues with band play (want to play with keys, bass and guitar in the same online session? TOO BAD), and Beatles managed to release with a tracklist that did not have Hey Jude.

Montresor

Any collected tricks for gold stars yet? :)

For the song Shout by Tears For Fears, if you choose Jackpot with Super Guitar, you can score 180,000 points just from activating Jackpot at the guitar sustains after each guitar solo (or maybe the keyboard solos?).

I'll attempt another gold-star run and let you know all the good spots to activate Jackpot.

Minamu

For the song Shout by Tears For Fears, if you choose Jackpot with Super Guitar, you can score 180,000 points just from activating Jackpot at the guitar sustains after each guitar solo (or maybe the keyboard solos?).

I'll attempt another gold-star run and let you know all the good spots to activate Jackpot.
ah yes, I read that up above, thanks. Might work for more songs. The two I have so far (been playing dlc mostly) was with bandmate and super X.

Javaman

What happens if you don't complete a RBW challenge within the 7 days? Does it just reset or does it become permanently "failed"

nicholasbrutal

Epic Games PR Manager
Did any of you go to the donuts meetup? I forgot to ask for clothing to ID people by :lol

Also for some reason unfathomable to me I signed up to be a contestant on their game show. This was a bad idea. I'll try to go through with it.

You must go through with this -- you have less than two hours to get yourself prepared!

AlexBasch

Song 2 is also easy as fuck to gold star, 88k needed and you're set, I was in the third chorus and I reached that amount.

Also, I just added random goals from the Facebook app and started playing songs just like that, no coin issues for me yet.

Yes, yes I understand the frustration with Facebook, the coins and all that, but I'm avoiding that issue at least.

FyreWulff

Me answering the Blitz controls question:

"Fuck, I know words. Wait, one of them was supposed to work with fight sticks, right? Uh.. street fighter.. was it.. Puncher? FUCK"

btkadams

A1w_1UyCMAEBe8V.jpg

Feels good to get that out of the way.

omg xbox avatars are hilarious haha. i only have a ps3, so i haven't really seen them much at all.

300 unique songs? how many are in rock band 1-3 and this game? that seems like an impossible achievement/trophy for me unless i buy a lot more dlc (i prob have bought max 50 songs).

btkadams

The whole power up aspect of this game really kills it for me.

they should have designed the game so that the coins you earn are used to unlock power ups and levels (i've only noticed the same city background..is that it?).

that way you could still customize power ups for each song based on what you think would be best. i don't mind the idea of powerups, but the way you lose money each song you use them is just absolutely stupid. you shouldn't design a game like that.

FyreWulff

I have not played this yet but does anyone else think this game is a bad deal? Other music games like Beat Hazard and AudioSurf cost around $5 and you can use your own music. So your guaranteed a huge play list of all your favorite music no matter what it be at no additional charge.

I understand that selling the DLC is a big business for the Rock Band franchise. But is the game worth it with other options out there? Is it that much better than Beat Hazard and AudioSurf? I do plan on trying the XBLA demo myself but was just curious on peoples thoughts.

I don't know about anyone else but Audiosurf, Beat Hazard, and Amped do nothing for me. The sound processing algo they all use never quite matches to the song unless it has very distinct bass.

Blitz has a massive advantage that since Harmonix authored the beats themselves for Rock Band, the beat matching actually matches and resembles the song.

I have the same issue with music visualizers, they never match the song for me.

Plus Harmonix's mastering is great. They save the song from the volume wars and they sound so good. If you ever get the time, compare Lynyrd Skynyrd's Simple Man in RB to the radio version as an example, or In The End where Linkin Park's vocals are no longer scratchy in the RB version. I'll even give them credit for Nickelback, in the RB versions I watched on YT they actually did a great job of stuff like bringing out the drumset with extreme clarity. I'd pay just for that service alone.

tl;dr Audiosurf and Blitz have different goals, you really could not do Blitz's gameplay with any notable "fun" with a sound analysis program.

C4Lukins

they should have designed the game so that the coins you earn are used to buy power ups and levels (i've only noticed the same city background..is that it?).

that way you could still customize power ups for each song based on what you think would be best. i don't mind the idea of powerups, but the way you lose money each song you use them is just absolutely stupid. you shouldn't design a game like that.

Well I am not really good at the game so maybe I am just missing it.

But I get my high scores from playing the powerups, and hitting notes seems very secondary. It all just feels very random in the end. I am sure there is a deeper level of play going on there, but at least with the early powerups I am better off keeping my pinball in play and my bandmate going then actually playing the field.

I'm retiring from Blitz for the night. I'm sitting on 150 million career score, 355 songs played, 143 gold starred, and 28,000 blitz coins in the bank.

Scott

300 unique songs? how many are in rock band 1-3 and this game? that seems like an impossible achievement/trophy for me unless i buy a lot more dlc (i prob have bought max 50 songs).
I think between RB1, 2, Blitz, and the free downloads (including the 20 song pack from the RB2 manual code), you should have around 186 songs (give or take a few).

Raonak

Banned
To get a high score -> you need powerups
to use powerups -> you need coins
to get coins -> you need to play without any powerups.

whoever thought this was a good mechanic needs to get fired.
especially since this game is meant to be all about high scores.

It just reaks of something a F2P game would use....
EXCEPT ITS NOT FREE. I PAID MONEY FOR THIS.
why do i have to deal with this BS coin mechanic?

Top Bottom