• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One Tracking for a $280-350 mil Global Opening Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
And to think, with not even one lightsaber in any of the trailers or clips.
Honestly feels bad man. It looks good, but I'll always be a lightsaber fanboy.

I hope every "Star Wars Story" isn't OT focused. Especially with stories that don't need to be told.

Still, I'm excited to see Donnie Yen in Star Wars.

mrkgoo

Say what you will about George Lucas and what he has done with the prequels ... I will still remember him as someone who changed so many lives when they were kids, including my own.

His impact on society is nearly immeasurable both in his creations, and his contributions.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Honestly feels bad man. It looks good, but I'll always be a lightsaber fanboy.

I hope every "Star Wars Story" isn't OT focused. Especially with stories that don't need to be told.

Still, I'm excited to see Donnie Yen in Star Wars.

Nah we need to stop dick riding the sith and Jedi. It's old hat and not every damn Star Wars movie needs them. If they did make a Boba movie I would not want to see a single magic space monk.

kswiston

Star wars / Marvel acquisitions were incredible business decisions. Of course their decisions with each property have been excellent but both are cash cows now.

I think Disney gets less credit for the Lucasfilm deal since anyone would have accepted it. They got Marvel for a steal though, even if you factor in the fact that superhero films werent as big in 2009 when the deal went through.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Star wars / Marvel acquisitions were incredible business decisions. Of course their decisions with each property have been excellent but both are cash cows now.

Star Wars for 4 billion was one of the most obvious business moves anyone has ever had to make.

Malyse

I have thursday night tickets but I'm a bit surprised you can still easily buy tickets for thursday, friday, or saturday in my area. Almost every showing. TFA was 100% sold out within a few hours and they started adding tons and tons and tons of showings and even those sold out pretty fast.

I'm also a little gun shy now, two movies so far this year should have been great but were absolutely AWFUL - Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad. I secretly want Rogue One to be great because I'm a huge star wars fanboi, but I am trying to keep expectations in check in case it turns out to suck bad.

I think the USA premiere is monday so hopefully spoiler free scores should be coming out soon.
Star Wars literally has nothing to do with DC. That's like saying you're gun shy about eating at Outback because you had a bad sandwich at Walmart.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Good, good...

The better this film does, the better the chances of Lucasfilm eventually giving me that Obi-Wan spin-off.

Boke1879

True but honestly I'm not thinking it goes significantly over. Maybe 1.1 or 1.2. IDK maybe I'm just misreading the market but the film doesn't seem to have anything near the buzz of episode VII (though obviously still huge). I think it may be a bit more front-loaded

It won't top TFA at all but it has some factors going for it. It being a side story and focusing on how the rebels got the plans. Also Vader!

120v

Seriously, how many people out there think this is episode VIII?

most people i talk to think it is.

anecdotal, so i take it with a grain of salt, but consensus seems to be "i saw the last one so i may see this one, i dunno, maybe"

i'm sure the movie will do gangbusters but could see serious diminishing returns on 'saga' movies later on. dropping the "Episode X" surtitle was probably a mistake

DieH@rd

Banned
Didn't George get half money in cache and half in Disney stock. That 2nd part is way more important than the 1st.

Buckle

I have thursday night tickets but I'm a bit surprised you can still easily buy tickets for thursday, friday, or saturday in my area. Almost every showing. TFA was 100% sold out within a few hours and they started adding tons and tons and tons of showings and even those sold out pretty fast.

I'm also a little gun shy now, two movies so far this year should have been great but were absolutely AWFUL - Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad. I secretly want Rogue One to be great because I'm a huge star wars fanboi, but I am trying to keep expectations in check in case it turns out to suck bad.

I think the USA premiere is monday so hopefully spoiler free scores should be coming out soon.
My expectations are set at cautiously optimistic.

I didn't really like Monsters and Godzilla had great action (even if not enough) and looked awesome but the characters with the exception of one
Who was killed off in the first thirty minutes
were all pretty terrible.

I'm expecting a fun visual ride but thats probably about it. Hoping Garerth Edwards surprises me though.

RDreamer

I've seen weirdly almost no buzz for this among my friends and acquaintances. It's kinda weird. It feels like less than Dr. Strange, even.

Sulik2

I still think it will end up around 180 - 190 million opening weekend in the USA. Star Wars fever is still in overdrive after how good TFA was.

Angelina

Banned
Lmao at how many people dont realise lucas didnt sell it for money when it all went to charity.

But cool stay on the hate lucas wagon

Boem

TFA was already in pre-production (Lucas hired Michael Ardnt) as was early planning for Rogue One and the Han Solo spin-off when Lucas sold it. Lucas picked Kasdan to write the Han Solo film. Knoll pitched Rogue One after Lucas hired Kennedy before the deal with Disney. It's not like he didn't expect what was being released, this stuff we are getting was already in the plans.

It was more about getting Lucasfilm to a safe home that would protect the brand. Lucas gave all the cash from the deal to charity anyway (Lucas signed the Buffet pledge to give most of his wealth away in his lifetime).

I thought it the rumor that TFA and Rogue One were already in production before Lucas sold it was proven false some time ago? TFA was in pre-production to a degree (obviously an Episode 7 was discussed at various points in history, but not this particular film), and of the announced spinoff only Han Solo was already planned/talked about internally. Rogue One wasn't, that came later and was pushed as the first spin off by Kennedy to make her own mark.

At least, that's what I remember. I think Making Star Wars wrote about it some months ago, including Kennedy and Lucas quotes. Could be wrong though.

tauroxd

I thought it the rumor that TFA and Rogue One were already in production before Lucas sold it was proven false some time ago? TFA was in pre-production to a degree (obviously an Episode 7 was discussed at various points in history, but not this particular film), and of the announced spinoff only Han Solo was already planned/talked about internally. Rogue One wasn't, that came later and was pushed as the first spin off by Kennedy to make her own mark.

At least, that's what I remember. I think Making Star Wars wrote about it some months ago, including Kennedy and Lucas quotes. Could be wrong though.

Got a link of that? Please.

bill0527

Lmao at how many people dont realise lucas didnt sell it for money when it all went to charity.

But cool stay on the hate lucas wagon

I don't hate Lucas.

He's a visionary, an amazing philanthropist, and has done maybe more than anyone to move the technology of cinema forward over the last 40 years.

With that said, he's also a shitty director and writer when he does it alone and refuses to collaborate.

I think Disney gets less credit for the Lucasfilm deal since anyone would have accepted it. They got Marvel for a steal though, even if you factor in the fact that superhero films werent as big in 2009 when the deal went through.

I remember some Fox execs being upset that Lucas didn't offer to sell it to them. Disney also got ILM, Indy (probably a billion dollar franchise by itself if they can find a new generation Indy), and LucasArts (which is being underutilized at this moment, but still being monetized). Getting just Star Wars for 4B was already as steal, when include the aforementioned, it is just ridiculous and a no brainer. I don't think anyone argued that was a bad deal.

Marvel, though, was different. Like you said, in 2009 no one knew super heroes and the MCU would get this big 7 years later. MS only had two movies under its belt, one being a breakout movie of a C list character, and the other a disappointment at the BO for a more known B list character. Plus there was a big amount of restrictions imposed on the usage that Disney would get for the IPs it would own with the purchase (i.e. production and distribution rights of live action movies that were and are still with other studios, 1/4 of spiderman merchandise rights, theme park rights, etc). I remember seeing lots of people/analysts questioning this purchase. Like you said though, it was a steal as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom