• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Pokemon Black and White (Unmarked Spoilers)

So after Pokemon Red came out on the VC and I finished that, I had a real hankering for playing other Pokemon titles. I decided my next one would be Pokemon White. The last time I had played it was back around the time it came out in 2011, so I ended up deleting my file and starting over again.

Man, this game is freaking great. It's feels like a soft-reboot for the Pokemon franchise and essentially a remake of Red and Blue. You've got 150 or so new Pokemon and those are the only Pokemon you're going to be running into till the post game. It's actually a really great idea, since you get to be acquainted with all these new species instead of trying to rely on old favourites. It also serves to distance this region from the others, this is a whole new ball game. Even the male player character sort of resembles Red, they even brought back the baseball cap. I love the visuals for the game. People knock Pokemon for taking so long to go 3D, but I wouldn't have minded it if it had stayed 2D when the sprite work looks this good.

The story in this game is actually pretty decent for the most part. I got to start off with the intro, there's a weird opening with some kid named "N" in the forest and wild Pokemon around him, and then he gets crowned and right away you know this game ain't the same old Pokemon. Is he a King? There's a Pokemon King? You start off right in your bedroom with your two friends about to pick your Pokemon in big present box. And after that, you literally have a Pokemon battle in your bedroom, which completely messes the place up, which is pretty funny. And then you're off on your adventure and what an adventure it is. Your two friends, Cheren and Bianca, well you run into them consistently throughout your journey and they serve as your rivals, Cheren will pick the pokemon with the type advantage over you and Bianca will pick the one with a disadvantage. Surprisingly, both characters develop pretty siginicantly. Cheren wants to become Champion, and is constantly challenging you. But he just wants to be strong for being strong's sake (kind of like Blue in Red and Blue). Bianca on the otherhand wants to mimic you and Cheren but she is clearly out of her depth and isn't meant for the life of a battling trainer. Whats nice is both characters come to the realisations on their own and decide on a role that fits them in the end. They're also completely part of the story and don't sit in the sidelines. Cheren interacts a lot with Alder the Champion as well as Clay the Ground type gym leader, and Bianca interacts with Professor Juniper and gym leaders like Lenora and Elesa. It's like a coming of age story for the two of them.

The antagonists in the game are Team Plasma, and the game tackles the old question and joke about how Pokemon is just cock/dog fighting. So you can guess, their objective is to force everyone to release their Pokemon because they think Pokemon are just suffering under people. They do this by using Pokemon themselves but I guess, it's a means to an end sort of thing, or at least it is until the ending and the big reveal is that, nah, Team Plasma are just greedy jerks. Though there is one character who absolutely represents the uncorrupted goal of Plasma, and that's the character of N, who sort of serves as your third rival. He wants to find one of the cover legendaries and use its power to lead the people of the world into releasing their Pokemon. A neat thing about whenever you battle him, aside from the final battle, is that he'll only use Pokemon that are in the surrounding area. It's a nice touch since he isn't a trainer and is "friends of all of Pokemon" so they come to his aid.

ozFMXw3.jpg
LXJjQZg.jpg
yJT9Kyr.jpg
lDzhcql.jpg
yBDBQh6.jpg
BryOxSN.jpg

Got to say, I really love how all the Gym Leaders play a part in the story and aren't just bosses. They all try to teach you something and they all come to the rescue (aside from the Striaton trio) near the end. Also like how you'd run into the champion Alder around Unova. He serves a similar role as Lance, Steven and Cynthia did but there's a little more story to him. Apparently his starter Pokemon died, and he left the Pokemon League to go on a wandering journey around Unova, but he goes back when he knows N is heading there. Also think it's pretty crazy how you never even fight Alder, N beats you to it. So when you see the credits, you haven't actually beaten the Pokemon League. Though you can face him for real if you go back.

Unova is a heck of a region. It's supposed to be based of New York and the U.S. in general, so people familar with the city can recognise what each area might be based off of. I like how distinct every town and city is, the most memorable probably being Castlia City. It's the first time Game Freak has made a city really feel like a city with huge buildings, crowds and people running around all over the place to get to work. My favourite city was probably Opelucid, I love the theme music for the town: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g356DvtjCOo

Speaking of music, this gen has the best music in the series. My personal favourite is "Victory is right before your eyes" : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FPz7yklWrA which plays whenever a Gym Leader is on his very last Pokemon. It's the hypest thing ever, a remix of the main title theme for the franchise that plays triumphantly when you're close to winning. I was really disappointed when they didn't bring it back for Gen 6 but I'm hopefuly they bring it back during the Kahuna battles in Sun and Moon.

Another is Route 10: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt-ZzBeDHQs

This plays in the route between Opelucid City and Victory Road. It has a very melancholic tone, like you're aware the journey is almost at an end. You're also on a quest to stop N from defeating the Champion Alder.

Got to mention the final battle between you and N: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28caQQxNhA4

Some of the cool additions to gen 5 is the season system. Every month the season will be different and so will the environment and Pokemon encounter rates and availability. There's also triple battles and rotation battles, but you don't really have a lot of those. I don't really know what else gen 5 added game play wise, I mean there are also hidden abilities. Though they went through this obtuse method of introducing it. You had to go on some website that is now defunct and the website would send those Pokemon with those abilities. I don't know really know how it worked, seemed dumb. And y'know what's also dumb, you can't grow freaking berries without that website! So since Nintendo took down the Nintendo Wifi services for the DS and Game Freak took down that site, the only way to get berries is through abilities like Pick Up or fighting Pokemon Rangers.

I never got into the online multiplayer for gen 5 but I think the single player stands out pretty well. This game has a pretty good difficulty curve, I was never overleveled and I nearly lost a couple of times at certain gym leaders and elite 4 members. Even the final final battle with the big bad Ghetsis proved to be a challenge with his Hydreigon. I think it's cause this game has level scaling, so the higher the level, the less experience you'll receive from battling lower level pokemon which discourages grinding. So yeah, Black and White are great, go play them or replay them cause even without the online, it's still a stand out adventure.

I genuinely love Bianca's character growth, it's just a plain roadblock that nearly everyone in their life faces at some point in time. Nothing terribly grandiose, but personally meaningful. Her becoming the Professor's Assistant is a perfect position for her. Cheren is a bit more boring (but his interactions with Alder are great still), but N is a great enigma who develops across the two games quite naturally. The fact that you can find his pokemon in BW2 is superb storytelling and reinforce how he felt Pokemon should be at the time.

Also on Plasma, I think they could have reinforced that quite a few Plasma Grunts genuinely believed the cause a bit better (at least most of the Sages (screw you Zinzolin) did anyway and they paid for their mistakes) throughout the story.

I sincerely hope that Pokemon Sun and Moon are successors to this game in terms of narrative because Pokemon can do good stuff when they really give themselves some breathing room. Though it does seem like they're going in that direction considering the improvements to the presentation and how a lot of the story elements seem to connect into each other so far.

Crayolan

The final battle vs. N is so well executed, seeing two legendaries come out at once is one of the coolest moments in the entire series.

Yet somehow when they did the same thing in XY they missed the point entirely--having a legendary on your side is only cool when the opponent is even more powerful.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Was a great read. Can someone post a story description or a link to Black and White 2?
Really curious how this stuff is continued.

Phu

Banned
I think B/W and their sequels are the best games in the franchise so far. I especially like how the experience curve worked compared to other gens.

Was a great read. Can someone post a story description or a link to Black and White 2?
Really curious how this stuff is continued.

Much of it is put into the environmental design and the Memory Links rather than the main narrative (though Neo Plasma have a slick battle theme and Zinzolin is still a piece of crap) and you have Colress, who is weirdly charismatic somehow. BW2 are far more gameplay focused, arguably the best in the franchise in that regard.

Bladenic

Much of it is put into the environmental design and the Memory Links rather than the main narrative (though Neo Plasma have a slick battle theme and Zinzolin is still a piece of crap) and you have Colress, who is weirdly charismatic somehow. BW2 are far more gameplay focused, arguably the best in the franchise in that regard.

Colress's battle theme is amazing.

I'd also like to mention that this is the big point where Pokemon really started to Diversify its NPCs, the efforts in Gen V weren't perfect but you had great successes like Lenora and Iris. I'm rather Glad this was something they didn't abandon for Gen VI and something that they continue to expand for Gen VII.

Nottle

They are pretty dope games and nearly fixed everything I dislike about the series. BUT what were they thinking making the little rock geodude replacement have a ability that makes it survive if it's only been hit once in the battle? Makes cave sequences twice as long.

Also I still feel like the game is a bit grindy even with the new exp stuff.

I'd also like to mention that this is the big point where Pokemon really started to Diversify its NPCs, the efforts in Gen V weren't perfect but you had great successes like Lenora and Iris. I'm rather Glad this was something they didn't abandon for Gen VI and something that they continue to expand for Gen VII.
That's something I also remembered! I think the effort to really soft reboot things and examine the series is what makes gen V so great. They wanted to make a completely fresh group of Pokemon, so for lore reasons it's in fake New York instead of fake Japan, because of that the overall style changes and then all of a sudden we have more than just pale skinned Asian and Caucasian people.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I loved the more story heavy approach to B/W and was MASSIVELY disappointed when that was all reverted in X/Y
Me too. Black/White is easily the best game in the series since Gold/Silver, and this was a large reason why. Being a soft reboot with classic Pokemon in the post-game was also a nice move. X/Y felt a lot like it relied too much on the "we're moving to 3D now" selling point, and it seemed to abandon all the progressive changes B/W and its sequels made. I still enjoyed it, but not as much as this one.

Also has the best OST in the series by a WIDE margin.

Really liked this game. Got me back into the series. I think, thanks to its great pacing, it's my favorite campaign in the series.

For me, it's like this actually:

Best overall game: HGSS

Best region: Sinnoh (don't hate, I love the variety

Best campaign: BW

Most replayable, and the one I have a personal attachment with: Ruby (and SE)

Best at being the worst: X and Y (although they have my favorite Pokemon designs)

Nightbird

Gehsis is the greatest villian in Pokemon up until now, and one who knows his shit.

While his goal of World dominantion is pretty basic, he did thought about the one thing no other villian in Pokemon thought about until now:

That somebody might come and stop you. Hence all the stuff with N and the liberation of all Pokemon.
He wanted that every trainer frees their Pokemon so nobody could stop him once he sets his actual plan in motion.

It's such a simple thing, but seeing a villian actually try to do that was very refreshing.

This (and their amazing battle theme) is the reason why Plasma is my favorite villian team

Phu

Banned
They are pretty dope games and nearly fixed everything I dislike about the series. BUT what were they thinking making the little rock geodude replacement have a ability that makes it survive if it's only been hit once in the battle? Makes cave sequences twice as long.

As a Tepig fan, Arm Thrust had me dancing over those Sturdy fools.

Anura

Personally I hated it, but I'm happy you like it. It does different things and because of that it's pretty polarizing.

Half your team is cool, the other half is trash.

I like the game a lot, but B/W2 are sooooo much better.

yeah, i know they're not the best but I really like their designs (i'm assuming you're talking about Emolga, Unfezant, and Samurott). I would have switched Unfezant to Braviary but I didn't want to train a Rufflet up to level 54. I like electro ball and volt switch a lot, and I'm sure I could have gone with Galvantula but I'm not a fan of spiders. Also, Samurott is my starter, I can't just leave him behind, and he's a cool dude once you get to know him.I had Krookodile in there with me but switched him out for Zekrom. He did save my butt against Shauntal and Caitlin.

Also, I really hate Shauntal's Cofagrigus. That dude took forever, and it's the first pokemon she sends out.

Lots of shitting on XY in this thread.

That's good.

I finished X a couple nights ago. My first foray back into the series since Blue. I was like 13 then (or something) and am 30 now and really felt like I had outgrown the series playing X. Sounds like it was just a bad entry based on this thread. Just picked up alpha sapphire so we'll see about that one.

OT: glad BW are good. I read reviews on BW2 that made it sound like an almost resurrection of the series so I'm tempted to go back. Seeing OPs impressions of BW makes me want to go back to the older ones and see if the charm is still there

Sandfox

I like the BW story for the reasons, but it has my least favorite Pokemon and I didn't care for the online meta for that gen.

Anura

That's good.

I finished X a couple nights ago. My first foray back into the series since Blue. I was like 13 then (or something) and am 30 now and really felt like I had outgrown the series playing X. Sounds like it was just a bad entry based on this thread. Just picked up alpha sapphire so we'll see about that one.

OT: glad BW are good. I read reviews on BW2 that made it sound like an almost resurrection of the series so I'm tempted to go back. Seeing OPs impressions of BW makes me want to go back to the older ones and see if the charm is still there

Alpha sapphire feels off IMO. It's an odd beast that doesn't really stand out that well. It's still got the comically bad story of R/S but doesn't quite have all the great features added in emerald.

Totally agree with you OP, Black and White are the best Pokemon games (other than Gold and Silver). They actually attempted to tell a story and it was decent, the characters are more fleshed out than those in most entries, and overall the journey feels very epic and consequential. Not only that, but cutting you off from the old pokemon and adding so many new ones was they best choice they could have made. It forced you to become attached to the new ones, and a lot of the Black/White designs are great.

Sandfox

Alpha sapphire feels off IMO. It's an odd beast that doesn't really stand out that well. It's still got the comically bad story of R/S but doesn't quite have all the great features added in emerald.
Outside of the Battle Frontier missing I felt like ORAS was way better than the originals.

Best Generation so far. The Pokemon were great, no old ones were great. Everything felt fresh and the version differences had a point. BW2 is even better.

Crayolan

That's good.

Alpha Sapphire isn't that great either. It's a remake of the gen 3 games, but it's missing content that the 3rd version added to those games 9 years prior.

If you didn't like XY, I'd recommend trying out either HeartGold/SoulSilver or Black2/White2. Black/White are good too but are pretty divisive.

brinstar

Best damn games in the series, XY felt like such a regression coming off these. Sun and Moon thankfully seem to be picking up the slack.

Anura

Alpha Sapphire isn't that great either. It's a remake of the gen 3 games, but it's missing content that the 3rd version added to those games 9 years prior.

If you didn't like XY, I'd recommend trying out either HeartGold/SoulSilver or Black2/White2. Black/White are good too but are pretty divisive.

I'm going to second the HH/SS recommendation. They're so good! Widely considered the best in series.

Boney

Banned
Yeah it's pretty darn good for all of the reasons you mentioned. Bianca's character was a fantastic addition to the rivalry instead of relying with opposite gender MC. Her dad being protective, her feeling left behind by her friends and ultimately understanding that she needs to follow a different journey is pretty endearing. Cheren also works great as a not Blue, and constantly losing to you.

There's some nice gym leader introductions and quests you do with them before you enter their gym so it helps establishing their character and makes it a lot more engaging.

The game is beautiful, using polygons just right to pan the camara in a few scenes making you escape from the confines of the screen and the dimensions you're used to playing Pokemon. Crossing that bridge is a wonderful moment. The new Pokemon are great, team plasma is finally an engaging antagonist and there's so much to do in the game.

My only negative is that the game puts all exploration and adventuring to side quests and post game. No need for hm slaves but you still miss having to progress with extra abilities you didn't have before. I don't remember huge caves to get lost in but that's probably just memory issues from me.

The fact that they followed up this game with XY is a disgrace. In which they took everything great from BW and made it awful. Awful rival/partners, awful evil team and story, terrible use of 3D graphics in the overworld (that fucking city man) and there's no interaction with any character that'a a damn. Barely any new Pokemon and instead of evoking nostalgia with parallels like BW it panders with Kanto starters and Mega evolutions. It's Terrible and finely tuning the competitive side doesn't excuse how badly it fell flat on it's face. The fact that people are recommending XY to newcomers or disenfranchised is baffling

Boney

Banned
Outside of the Battle Frontier missing I felt like ORAS was way better than the originals.
It's definately better but it doesn't have the benefit of it being the generation that pushed Pokemon from crummy gameboy to the GBA and laying the groundwork for the rest of the series going forward. That makes it lose it's luster and you're left with a terrible story and region to go through.

It's also why HGSS doesn't drive me as crazy either because it loses the mindblowing element of the originals pulling off the impossible.

Harpuia

Playing through Y right now, while I appreciate the huuuuge selection of pokemon that game gives you, coming off of the nice story that Black and White had to X/Y was a bummer.

B/W did more to make the game feel like a breath of fresh air, whereas X/Y felt more like they were going through the motions and made a new one of these. Maybe they were pressed to release a Pokemon game, and X/Y was the best they can do.

Everything they've shown of Sun/Moon makes it look like they're going even further with intertwining the story with the main objective of the game. I think the people here who are sad about how X/Y came to end up shouldn't worry. I think gamefreak more than anyone else wants to make another Pokemon game with an interesting story beyond "8 badges, beat the Team of the game, then the elite four".

I think gamefreak more than anyone else wants to make another Pokemon game with an interesting story beyond "8 badges, beat the Team of the game, then the elite four".

I've never felt this more than when I went through Sea Mauville and Mauville Hills in ORAS and realized what Gamefreak was trying to portray in those areas. They're probably among the most cynical areas in a pokemon game but there's a good point to them and their place in the world is logical. The way Gamefreak has limited themselves is a bit sad, but I think they've freed themselves a bit with Sun and Moon, which is why I anticipate them greatly.

Azure J

The final battle vs. N is so well executed, seeing two legendaries come out at once is one of the coolest moments in the entire series.

Yet somehow when they did the same thing in XY they missed the point entirely--having a legendary on your side is only cool when the opponent is even more powerful.

Pretty much this exactly. In general, I really really enjoyed the story beats that Gen 5 worked around. They were definitely nothing approaching "high brow", but the way that they put so many twists on conventions we just took for granted as players -- recurring or in my case, lapsed -- really shone through in BW1.

I just really enjoyed Gen 5. If it had the mechanical improvements of Gen 6 or beyond man... <3

Nightbird

I just really enjoyed Gen 5. If it had the mechanical improvements of Gen 6 or beyond man... <3

Which is why I can't wait for the inevitable remake.

Image Unova in full 3D rendered with HD resolution instead of low res 2.5D.
Proper character models and battles in the actual scenery of your current area.

I'm drooling thinking about what might come...

Mr-Joker

Banned
Game Freak were at their best during the DS era what with the amazing Gen 4 and then the outstanding Gen 5.

But yeah I loved Black and White and despite having throw back to gen 1 it didn't annoy me as it didn't overshadow the whole game and it was able to stand on its two feet.

I loved the more story heavy approach to B/W and was MASSIVELY disappointed when that was all reverted in X/Y

Same, I was expecting X and Y to be a mixture gen 4 with the cool new cross gen evolution and Gen 5 with a story heavy focus.

But nope what I got was a total regression of the series with new gimmicks that I did not care for, bland NPC, a brain dead easy game riddled with gen 1 pandering and pathetic effort put into the story.

I was so disappointed with gen 6 and it crushed me as I was so hyped for it.

Here's hoping that gen 7 can wash away gen 6's sins and redeem the series in my eyes.

are you trying to tell me that you didn't enjoy the oscar-worthy narrative of tierno's love of dancing

Tierno can go fuck himself and take a flying leap off into a volcano, he was pointless, annoying and added zero value to the story.

Trevor, Sina, Dexio, fucking Diantha and AZ can also join him...actually screw it Professor Sycamore can join them as well.

That's good.

Yeah Gen 6 was a total disappointment in many department and the worse part is that unlike other generation, Gen 6 can never redeem itself with a third version as it lived and died with X and Y.

Yeah Black and White and its sequel are fun game to be had, plus despite the region being liner it did have some secret areas off the beaten path to explore, something that Kalos was lacking.

You should also check out Pokémon Platinum, it's the best of the Sinnoh game.

That's because Game Freak fucked up and just shoe horned the Kalos legendary into the game story whereas the Unova legendary stories was told throughout the adventure via NPC and the region itself.

It's pitiful that Xerneas and Yveltal biggest role in the game was being used as a battery, something that Electrode did in gen 2.

Which is why I can't wait for the inevitable remake.

Image Unova in full 3D rendered with HD resolution instead of low res 2.5D.
Proper character models and battles in the actual scenery of your current area.

I'm drooling thinking about what might come...

After how they handled the Hoenn remake, I don't trust current Game Freak to faithfully remake Gen 4 or gen 5, which worries me as gen 4 is up next for the remake treatment and I love that generation.

Dimmle

I've never felt this more than when I went through Sea Mauville and Mauville Hills in ORAS and realized what Gamefreak was trying to portray in those areas. They're probably among the most cynical areas in a pokemon game but there's a good point to them and their place in the world is logical. The way Gamefreak has limited themselves is a bit sad, but I think they've freed themselves a bit with Sun and Moon, which is why I anticipate them greatly.

I loved these two areas for that reason. Gen 1/2 had that underlying layer of cynicism and texture that is sorely missed in the series moving forward. Those small bits of ORAS echoed that old tone.

I loved these two areas for that reason. Gen 1/2 had that underlying layer of cynicism and texture that is sorely missed in the series moving forward. Those small bits of ORAS echoed that old tone.

It's partly why I'm curious what Ohmori and Co plan to do. This is his first original project and there's a very substantial amount of changes on display from the traditional Pokemon formula. However, the work in ORAS indicates that Ohmori likes to makes sure numerous pieces of the world connect together logically from a narrative standpoint. In this case, Sea Mauville was the source of Infinity Energy in the Delta Episode but was also connected to Slateport, the Cosmos and Wattson's ideals. You even had a relatively intricate set of NPC's you had to track down to piece together just how corrupt the New Mauville Holdings were.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best

I love these touches. Sea Mauville was amazing to explore and unravel it's history. There's still unanswered questions about it too. Its that little dark, mature side to the Pokemon games that really adds to the atmosphere. I like how it's tucked away too, its almost creepy in a way. You have this story about friendship over coming everything but if you explore you learn that there's some dodgy shit going on it the background. That the Pokemon world isn't all sunshine and rainbows, and has very adult relatable subjects.

As for the OP, yeah Gen 5 is awesome. The newer games should take a lot from it. I love the Summer in Kagome soundtrack, it's one of my all time fave Pokemon tracks. The story is better than other entries, but has a lot of hits and misses. I don't think the stories have to be as grandiose to be good. What makes a good story is having it being relatable. The question of using Pokemon and taking their freedom away was a good one, but it could have only ended one way really.

The dex is strange for me. The ones I love are some of my favourite designs in the whole series, while the ones I don't like are some of my most hated. Im not one to rag on Garbodor or Vanniluxe, far from it. I think there's a great design method behind them. I just feel a lot of it is bloated in a way. That a lot of evolution lines didn't need 3 whole mon. The Gothitelle line is a good example of this. I felt like they wanted to beat out gen 1 and added unnecessary evolutions to fill the roster, diminishing the creativity of some lines. The monkeys need to burn in a fire. I get the idea of them being a second starter, but they're appalling, as are the genies. Beartic was just a missed opportunity too. Ursaring is a pretty "meh" bear mon, very generic, and having a polar bear would have been a good way to make it up. But we got Snotbeard Mc'conehead instead.
However, Elektross' line is ace, as is Galvantula, and, in fact, a lot of others. I'm even one of the rare ones who like the Musketeers. They're very diverse, yet very coherent in terms of design. The starters are some of my faves too, which again, I know is rare, and the bug lines were fantastic.

As for the Kalos ragging, I don't agree. It's not my fave gen, but it has my fave dex, some awesome towns, songs, and environments, and introduced many, many keyt things for the future. Its was just a little bland story wise, and the lack of a decent postgame has hurt it way more now that no Z version is coming to the rescue. I'll still play it in the future for a good adventure though, with the best mons the series has to date (though gen 7 could possibly hold that title with the way its going).

Hated Black/White. Everything from the annoying attempt at having a serious story to the pacing. Granted, I had some awful, awful RNG luck so that might skew my view of things a little.

X/Y were much, much better.

Dimmle

It's partly why I'm curious what Ohmori and Co plan to do. This is his first original project and there's a very substantial amount of changes on display from the traditional Pokemon formula. However, the work in ORAS indicates that Ohmori likes to makes sure numerous pieces of the world connect together logically from a narrative standpoint. In this case, Sea Mauville was the source of Infinity Energy in the Delta Episode but was also connected to Slateport, the Cosmos and Wattson's ideals. You even had a relatively intricate set of NPC's you had to track down to piece together just how corrupt the New Mauville Holdings were.

I'd like to think you can already see inklings of his world-building in aspects of Sun and Moon such as the rather intricate explanations for the adaptations of Alolan Pokemon. That in conjunction with the seemingly complex relationship between Team Aether, Skull, and the UBs gives me hope for a well-connected scenario.

I'd like to think you can already see inklings of his world-building in aspects of Sun and Moon such as the rather intricate explanations for the adaptations of Alolan Pokemon. That in conjunction with the seemingly complex relationship between Team Aether, Skull, and the UBs gives me hope for a well-connected scenario.

There's also Skull's seeming connection to the Island Trials as well as Guzma's relationship with Kukui. I think Gamefreak has given themselves a lot of room to work with, hopefully it'll progress in an interesting way. The cohesiveness of the scenario thus far is very appealing.

Sagitario

Great post! I really believe Black and White are the best Pokémon games. Gen V did so many things right, it brought me back to the franchise after skipping Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.

The soundtrack is sublime! Is the composer back for Sun and Moon?

Great post! I really believe Black and White are the best Pokémon games. Gen V did so many things right, it brought me back to the franchise after skipping Diamond/Pearl/Platinum.

The soundtrack is sublime! Is the composer back for Sun and Moon?

Pokemon Games often have a rather sizable team for their sound tracks. Some like Shoto Kageyama have left Gamefreak, but I think that actually means that Go Ichinose is back as the Sound Design head (C'mon, Gladion's encounter theme is so Ichinose). Masuda is probably back for some battle tunes as well. It wouldn't surprise me if Hitomi Sato was also on this project.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I like the game a lot, but B/W2 are sooooo much better.

Really? Black 2 felt like a slog after Black 1. Probably because it was retreading areas with some "new changes!" to try to make it worth the money.

Plus redoing Unova a second time for 8 gym badges when you'd think the Unova link whatever thing would've went "okay you beat the game once. We'll let you explore without doing the gyms again!" would've done something, but nooooo.

Zomba13

Also want to throw my hat into the Gen5 love ring. I loved that it was all new Pokémon till post game. I loved that I had to go through with a new set of Pokémon I knew little about. I also loved the story focus and how it played out. I also really liked the music.

Not in on the XY hate train though, I really liked them too. It could have been better by all means, a Z or X2/Y2 could have fixed the issues but we never got that so it will forever be this weird, seemingly unfinished region that was toned down to easy mode and Gen 1 nostalgia. But I enjoyed it, I liked the Pokémon designs, I liked the look and I think the things like Wonder Trading and Pokémon bank and customisation really got me to like it more than I would have without that stuff.

Weirdly I can't remember much of B2/W2 only that I don't think I enjoyed it as much as B/W.

nickgia

I really disliked B/W when I first played it. It's much better going back to it knowing what to expect. I still dislike how the overworld progression is just a circle, but they fix that in B/W2.

Top Bottom