• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel by 2K Australia for 360/PS3/PC

Despite the basic gameplay in Borderlands it was incredibly fun when playing co-op, though I wouldn't dare play it solo.

This game sounds like it'll be more of the same, and I have no issues with that whatsoever. Bring it on.

Timmy00

I haven't bought a new console and I continue to be in no rush to.

Yep same, so I'm fine with this being last gen only. I kinda doubt this rumor but I'll get the game to co-op with my boyfriend if he gets it.

Though I don't see anything wrong with releasing it for both last and current gen.

No ps4/xb1 exclusive this late in the game is kind of boring, and no ps4/xb1 version at all seems like a bad decision. GTA and DS2 maybe able to get people to double dip, but I don't think a Borderlands spinoff carries that same weight.

Avari

Last gen only? Not a fan of that decision.

My first thought as well. I still have my last generation consoles, and still play them a decent amount, but am really not motivated to buy new games on them. A good number of my friends (including the ones I played Borderlands 1 and 2 extensively with) have either sold their old console, or simply won't play them anymore.

I get that not everyone has moved on to current gen yet, and it'll probably be a while, but announcing a new title for last gen that will likely not be coming out for years seems foolish.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I get that not everyone has moved on to current gen yet, and it'll probably be a while, but announcing a new title for last gen that will likely not be coming out for years seems foolish.

I would be kind of surprised if it wasn't out this year or Q1 2015.

That said I'd also be surprised if it wasn't cross-gen given Take-Two said on their last call they were all in on next-gen.

Sounds great except for being last gen :(

Yeah. I mean there's only 160 million consumers on those old POS systems. Not like the 20 million on PS4 and XBO.

Almost every multiplatform game thus far has sold better on next gen then previous gen, install base be damned

The only exception I can think of is Plants Vs Zombies in Germany but that likely has other effects at play

daman824

I would be kind of surprised if it wasn't out this year or Q1 2015.

That said I'd also be surprised if it wasn't cross-gen given Take-Two said on their last call they were all in on next-gen.
This. Come on people. A borderlands game coming out late 2014/early 2015 that's last gen only?

crozier

The limited oxygen mechanic worries me greatly. It'll either be trivial enough to be pointless, or important enough to be annoying.

Sounds like the Tell Tale game... wasn't that rumored to be a prequel? Not to mention, Wilhelm was fucking huge, how would he play as a traditional character?

daman824

Well it's also PC, and yeah, they could always do a next-gen version later if it does OK.
Borderlands 2 is the highest selling 2k game ever. If there is a new game in the franchise coming out, it's going to be on both the ps4 and the xb1. And it's going to come out the same day as any last gen version. The fact that a pc version is coming out is even more proof that a current gen version is coming too.

The leak got some things wrong right? Does 2K australia still exist?

I'd bet it's going to be a cross gen game made by gearbox.

Orayn

Sounds like the Tell Tale game... wasn't that rumored to be a prequel? Not to mention, Wilhelm was fucking huge, how would he play as a traditional character?

There was speculation that Tales from the Borderlands would be about a younger Handsome Jack, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

bebop242

This interests me, but like others, I'm hoping for a cross gen release. Someone mentioned a Borderlands collection for the new consoles? It would feel dirty, but I'd be on that day 1.

BigDug13

Sounds great except for being last gen :(

Almost every multiplatform game thus far has sold better on next gen then previous gen, install base be damned

The only exception I can think of is Plants Vs Zombies in Germany but that likely has other effects at play

So? Those games had the option. Did dark souls 2 sell like shit by being denied from PS4 XBO

So? Those games had the option. Did dark souls 2 sell like shit by being denied from PS4 XBO

Dark Souls II sold well on last gen because it was only confirmed for last gen and PC as well as the PC port coming a month later

Are you suggesting it would've sold just as well last gen-wise if it had been available on PS4/XB1 from the getgo?

I wouldn't mind BL-1 to be a cross-gen game even if that compromised the next-gen ports a bit. What would irritate me though is if the game is only ever on last gen systems simply because that's not my preferred platform

Have current gen ports been confirmed in this thread that I'm not aware of?

ArjanN

Borderlands 2 is the highest selling 2k game ever. If there is a new game in the franchise coming out, it's going to be on both the ps4 and the xb1. And it's going to come out the same day as any last gen version. The fact that a pc version is coming out is even more proof that a current gen version is coming too.

The leak got some things wrong right? Does 2K australia still exist?

I'd bet it's going to be a cross gen game made by gearbox.

I think this is probably more of a side project though, sort of like the Telltale Borderlands game.

nampad

There better be a Vita port (hopefully at launch) with Sony pushing for BL2 and Gearbox saying they are looking into bringing future titles to the Vita.

I could understand a nextgen BL not making it but a current gen game should be doable.

GamerSoul

Despite the basic gameplay in Borderlands it was incredibly fun when playing co-op, though I wouldn't dare play it solo.

This game sounds like it'll be more of the same, and I have no issues with that whatsoever. Bring it on.

I use to just jump into random games all the time lol. But for these games I don't mind playing solo and taking the time to explore.

It could possibly be an earlier version of Wilhelm.

This is Athena right?
Borderlands_2010-02-25_20-21-18-43.png

I haven't played the dlc yet so I do not know much about her. I hope this is true, they seem like an interesting group of characters.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I use to just jump into random games all the time lol. But for these games I don't mind playing solo and taking the time to explore.

It could possibly be an earlier version of Wilhelm.

This is Athena right?

I haven't played the dlc yet so I do not know much about her. I hope this is true, they seem like an interesting group of characters.
Yes, it's that Athena, the Sheriff of Lynchwood, human Wilhelm, and a modified claptrap.

DocSeuss

So, assuming this exists, and is the GameInformer reveal tomorrow...

Hm.

It's by the guys who made The Bureau, which was terrible (and according to people who left the project back when it was an FPS, made under awful working conditions).

But on the flipside, Borderlands gameplay has never been good. It's functional "point and click on something until it dies." The series' main strength was on its art, which even Telltale seems to be able to do, so not a huge deal there, and its writing... which I'm curious about.

jacobeid

Banned
Not on PS4 (could play it on PC), BL2 was disappointing, and Gearbox's/Randy Pitchford's business practices have been, well, SOMETHING, for awhile now and I don't really feel inclined to support their IP.

No interest from me here.

Takao

Banned
There better be a Vita port (hopefully at launch) with Sony pushing for BL2 and Gearbox saying they are looking into bringing future titles to the Vita.

I could understand a nextgen BL not making it but a current gen game should be doable.

C'mon Nampad.

Love me some more Borderlands! :)
Would be strange not coming out for XB1/PS4, but, i can imagine a Borderlands 1,2 and this pre-sequel, in a bundle for for those consoles

GamerSoul

As much as I want to talk about the possible story elements, I do not want to spoil much for those who haven't given the series a shot yet. lol

Anyways in BL2 we did learn that Jack had a hand in the overall so far so this would not be a bad place to go next to have some more closure. Seeing it all from the beginning could help explain why Jack became interested in the artifact in the first place, how he rose to power (other than hearing voice clips), and how Angel is really connected to him.

The jetpacks/ cryo/ lasers additions sound great and could make battles a little more interesting. I'm not sure about oxy-kits though but who know at this point.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Is Yager working on this in some capacity? Their current project is a next-gen co-op RPG FPS, which screams Borderlands.

Top Bottom