• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian Track and Field team banned from Rio Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Russia’s track and field team has been barred from competing in this summer’s Rio Games because of a far-reaching doping conspiracy, an extraordinary punishment that might be without precedent in Olympics history.

The global governing body for track and field, known as the I.A.A.F., announced the decision on Friday, ruling that Russia had not done enough to restore global confidence in the integrity of its athletes.

The International Olympic Committee, the ultimate authority over the Games, is due to discuss the decision on Tuesday. If Olympics officials were to amend the ruling against Russia, it would be an unusual move, as they have historically deferred to the governing bodies for specific sports.

Russian track and field athletes have been suspended from international competition for the last seven months, after the publication of a report by the World Anti-Doping Agency that accused the nation of an elaborate government-run doping program. Though Russia denied those accusations, the country’s track and field authorities did not contest the suspension when given an opportunity in November.
-Source

I tend to be of mind almost all of the people competing are cheats, the Russian were just dumb enough to get caught.

Ban me if old. WAIT NO DON'T DO THAT!!

Mugsy

Did this scandal ever go beyond the Track and Field teams? I find it hard to believe a government sanctioned doping conspiracy would limit itself.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Everyone is using a substance of some sort, but not everyone is using the substances that are considered cheating. I'm fairly confident in that.

Zaptruder

Banned
Did them a favour really. Next olympics, Russia wins all track and field events by default.

Because no one's surviving Zikapocalypse.

kmfdmpig

Did this scandal ever go beyond the Track and Field teams? I find it hard to believe a government sanctioned doping conspiracy would limit itself.

Yes. The New York Times article I posted was for the Sochi winter games and the doping was across many events.

"It involved some of Russia’s biggest stars of the Games, including 14 members of its cross-country ski team and two veteran bobsledders who won two golds."

Makes sense. They already have an inherent advantage at track events anyway, since they're always RUSHIN! 😉😉😉

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
UGH don't make me defend Putin!

This is an area of hypocrisy. Russia has been clumsier and turned this into a geopolitical fight because of their sniveling leader's ego, BUT the Russians are right. Everyone is doing it and Russia is being singled out.

The whole genre needs an enema.

-Source

I tend to be of mind almost all of the people competing are cheats, the Russian were just dumb enough to get caught.

Ban me if old. WAIT NO DON'T DO THAT!!

I think Russia just has different opinions on what is "cheating". Russia doesn't think the drug meldonium is cheating but almost every other country in the modern world does.

Volimar

This is an area of hypocrisy. Russia has been clumsier and turned this into a geopolitical fight because of their sniveling leader's ego, BUT the Russians are right. Everyone is doing it and Russia is being singled out.

Yep. But I'm okay with singling them out considering some of the stuff they pulled in the winter Olympics.

kottila

Does every country have a state run doping program? If so, why aren't testing positive as much as the Russians? I'm not saying the russians are the only ones, but we have evidence against the Russians and not doing anything would be a disaster for sport. (all russian sport should be excluded, not only athletics). The kenyans should be close to a bam as well

kAmui-

Everyone is doing it isn't a good defense though. A lot of Russian athletes have been caught and there seems to be evidence all of this is government sanctioned. You need to take a hard stance against stuff like this.

darscot

Even if this is true, I disagree with banning the entire team based on nationality. Do they not test every athlete at the games? Is the IOC not capable of doing independent testing?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Really dumb banning an entire country from competing, but then again the Olympics have become pretty dumb in the last few decades.

gcubed

this is being purposefully ignorant, and i'm giving you the benefit of the doubt on that one.

No other country was caught giving bribes to the anti-doping chief to hide their countries positive tests. No other country had a state run doping scientist come forward with information about how they hid doping from tests. No other country had olympic athletes come forward about how the state had a full doping program for its athletes.

People are caught, medals are stripped and people are banned. Countries have, until now, never been caught endorsing and funding doping and ways to cheat doping tests.

Russia isn't right, and your point lacks thought.

Stinkles

Everyone is doing it isn't a good defense though. A lot of Russian athletes have been caught and there seems to be evidence all of this is government sanctioned. You need to take a hard stance against stuff like this.

I don't think it's a defense at all but I do think they have a point. And a lot of nations do tacitly or explicitly encourage doping or simply look the other way.

Point being that the entire professional and elite sports world is basically doping at this point.

They're probably one of many, but AFAIK, they're the ones who got caught and they're the ones with state sponsored cheating program, so I'm not feeling very sympathetic.

Brinbe

Not surprising. They wanted to dominate in Sochi by any means. The consequences now are meaningless. They got their Olympic glory already.

Stinkles

this is being purposefully ignorant, and i'm giving you the benefit of the doubt on that one.

No other country was caught giving bribes to the anti-doping chief to hide their countries positive tests. No other country had a state run doping scientist come forward with information about how they hid doping from tests. No other country had olympic athletes come forward about how the state had a full doping program for its athletes.

People are caught, medals are stripped and people are banned. Countries have, until now, never been caught endorsing and funding doping and ways to cheat doping tests.

Russia isn't right, and your point lacks thought.

Just so we're clear, I'm talking about athletics being corrupt and UNIVERSAL doping.

As usual Russia has not only taken it to a ridiculous institutional degree, but is using it as a political lever and a clumsy bludgeon on the world stage - and has been caught with its pants down.

Just so we're super clear: If Lance Armstrong is a 7/10, Russia is a 20/10.

My broader point was that it's like fishing one giant turd out of a sewer in an attempt to clean it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom