• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia's main opposition leader found 'guilty'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Out 1

How history would have been different if putin had never reichstag fired himself into the presidency of Russia.

and the US gov was behind 9/11...
obviously not. I'm just making a point

National Review is a conservative rag.

on topic: this is terrible, but hardly surprising. so much for 'Kremlin will try new tactics'. another term for Putin is a given.

Alanood

What do you think a whataboutism argument is? What is this thread about? Trump locking up his political rivals? Have his opponents mysteriously have been murdered?
Again: the post I quoted was about Trump talking about killing, not freedom of speech or journalism nor democracy.

While I think Putin is definitely making up shit against this guy to prevent any real opposition, Navalny is probably closer to Trump in his politics than many of you would like. He is closely aligned with nationalist parties and does not like immigrants or any non Russians.

He sees himself as a populist, anti-corruption candidate which I bet Putin and his friends are worried about, seeing as how they are essentially the mafia for their country at this point.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-15596400

There was an interview today morning on NPR with a lady in the opposition party who sounded pretty defeated, didn't think they had a shot at getting over 10% of anything, and said many Russians no longer believe in voting and think only a violent overthrow will bring about change.

Mivey

A political dissident gets to live? Man, Putin has gotten soft. At this rate, he will simply exile unruly journalist, as opposed to them having totally unrelated lethal accidents.

Out 1

While I think Putin is definitely making up shit against this guy to prevent any real opposition, Navalny is probably closer to Trump in his politics than many of you would like. He is closely aligned with nationalist parties and does not like immigrants or any non Russians.

That's the reason why a lot of liberals there dislike him. Though Russian society is pretty right-wind overall. Most of the informal opposition to Putin is both socially and fiscally liberal, and would probably self-identify as libertarian if they lived here in the US.

Ayn Rand's sales in Russia are consistently high. Paul Ryan would be proud.

One day someone will take Putin out but I don't think that would change a political system that is rotten to the core much.

was listening to the npr segment on it. A reporter that was kicked out of russia said he was already convicted of the exact same crime 5 years ago and it's pretty much them repeating the verdict exactly. So he got hit with the same crime twice just to stop him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom