• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryu Ga Gotoku: Ishin |OT| We love samurai stuff in the west too, Sega!

web01

I can't believe SEGA sinks so much money into this franchise, but can't drum up enough for 3 dudes to translate some text. There is literally nothing coming out on the PS4 right now. SEGA had a license to print money and completely ignored it.

It is pretty damn ridiculous these companies don't hire a couple in-house English translators
to work on this as the game is being made.

Shin-Ra

This looks gorgeous.

ss1_zps044aacab.jpg

I have fond memories of running through the surf in Yakuza 3.

DeVeAn

Come on! I can't stand this. SEGA release this in the West! I am so sad I have no Yakuza 5 and now this...

Sgblues

I think the thread title needs work. If I didn't already know about the game, I wouldn't be enticed to check out the thread. "It's kinda like _____________ meets ______________ in 1800s Japan." And you guys can fill in those blanks because I have no idea what it plays like. The little gameplay I saw said "Ninja Gaiden" to me though.

Reading the thread title gets me to ask:
How well did Way of the Samurai 4 sell?

Wonder if Digital Foundary's gonna do a PS3 and PS4 comparison for this game?

See the thing was I used the title so if anyone who, wasn't familiar with the series but like samurai stuff might be interested rather than a "Boo you suck for not localizing this Sega!" title. We all know Sega isn't perfect(that much is certain) but I'd rather not push any new fans or old ones away.

I am thinking about getting this.

However, I do not have a ps4 or next gen system and no intention of buying one at this time. No exclusive announced for it interest me (except ff15 but I am not falling for that again). I would get the ps3 copy but if I were to buy a ps4 later, I'd have an inferior version.

Anyway, I am currently playing 2 3ds rpgs in tandem, a ps3 action game, 2 psp rpgs and 1 pc rpg. I have other games in progress but haven't touched them recently enough to count them. So I guess there is no rush. Guess I'll play this when you guys are getting hyped for ryu ga gotoku 6.

Kuro

My playtime with the demo consisted of doing some weird Japanese version of Thriller dance and then beating up some guys for no reason. Then I bathed at a hot spa and after that my clothes were stolen so I chased some burglar while in a thong. I think I'm hooked.

Past

Missed opportunity by Sega for not making this a worldwide release. PS4 owners are dying for games right now, this would've been a great way to expose the franchise to a new audience.

Endo Punk

I'm still unsure if Second Son will convince me to purchase a PS4 next month but if Ishin is confirmed for Western(AND European) I'd pick up a system ASAP.

Wolff

Great OT. This game really is looking very interesting as Yakuza 5 did. Love the setting too. I wish there was more (good) samurai games like that. Too bad neither Kenzan nor This game got a localization, dammit.

Come on! I can't stand this. SEGA release this in the West! I am so sad I have no Yakuza 5 and now this...

We all are :(...
6UltYBs.gif

Gacha-pin

I'm in chapter 3 and 9 hours of playing time so far. I've played the vita app for about 10 hours before starting the main game but I didn't use it to the main game in case it spoils the experience and I think I did a good decision.

The very first cut scene where Kazuma killed the real Sakamot Ryoma is a great for the start but other than that, the main story is not interesting so far. Sakamo Ryoma is one of the most popular person among Japanese and how his story has been introduced in the various media, novels, movies, TV shows, mangas and TV games:)p), Ryoma with Kazuma's personality doesn't feel right and the releation between Ryoma and Hanpeita and his clan 土佐勤王党 is weird. But I'm still in chapter 3 it will be better and better as I follow the main story.

pros
+finally, you can save anywhere.
+finally, no loading when a battle starts.
+lots of activities you can do as usual.

cons
-the most of the new type of sub stories, the ones with the kizuna gauges, are dull and not fun.
-the fist fight style is more enjoyable than the katana style or the katana & pistol style.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Ryoma with Kazuma's personality doesn't feel right

Totally agree with this. Kiryu's whole simple but honorable badass who just doesn't want to be bothered shtick does not fit the historical Ryoma character at all from what I've read about him.

Localization requires more effort, manpower and cost than a lot of people realize. If Sega doesn't feel localization and foreign release would be worth the added cost, they won't do it.

Come on Sega!.

Honestly is there no petition for this?. I know they are mostly useless but who knows.

Just downloaded the japanese demo on Ps4. Looks awesome:

1794545_585750924843455_354810291_n.jpg

I wonder if this game can sell enough in the west to convincie Sega for an english version?

putarorex

I am on Chapter 5 and I am really liking the game. Much better than Ryu Ga Gotoku 5. I played the vita version for a week before playing the main game so the battles had been pretty easy but the game seems to have caught up.

I kinda like the whole kizuna gauges they have for merchants and sub-story people. It gives me a reason to do the mini-games and adds some character to the merchants you are using for food and whatnot. I have only fully completed one, by giving fish I caught to a fisherman who can't fish. Each time you give him one his story advances a bit and at the end I got over 1,000 toku points. I was kinda hoping for something else (fishing buff item or something) but it was alright. I am almost done with another sub-story kizuna gauge, one where I give a woman vegetables--cucumbers, carrots, and eggplants so far. She likes the long and thick ones apparently, I am guessing a Daikon is the next one (Japanese humor for you).

It appears you can start streaming or uploading screenshots and videos after you enter the arena in the Mukurogai area.

My playtime with the demo consisted of doing some weird Japanese version of Thriller dance and then beating up some guys for no reason. Then I bathed at a hot spa and after that my clothes were stolen so I chased some burglar while in a thong. I think I'm hooked.

#everythingyouneedtoknowaboutYakuzasidecontent

But no, that's amazing. I found the Thriller dance thing in the demo, but never found the hot spa. I'm gonna try for it next time I play.

Aeana

I'm thinking about getting the game. Kenzan was the only RgG game that I truly enjoyed thoroughly, for whatever reason (there are a lot of small reasons that add up I guess). If Ishin is like that, then hopefully I'd enjoy it too.

kevin1025

Banned
Sega should do a crazy two-pack collector's edition with both this and Yakuza 5 together in NA. Price it high because it's both games and, let's face it, we'd pay it. That way that small number of us would still bring in something for them. Or release it on PSN only, and save costs on discs and retail-related costs. Basing things on a zombie spinoff game as never localizing again is not the best manner of business decisions.

On topic: this game looks pretty awesome. And really beautiful in some cases.

What are the Yakuza games about? I've never played a single one, but this samurai setting looks interesting. Is it like GTA?

Alric

Does look fun. I'd love a samurai game with Bushido blade combat mechanics. Some one hit kills and body damage.

Sega should do a crazy two-pack collector's edition with both this and Yakuza 5 together in NA. Price it high because it's both games and, let's face it, we'd pay it. That way that small number of us would still bring in something for them. Or release it on PSN only, and save costs on discs and retail-related costs. Basing things on a zombie spinoff game as never localizing again is not the best manner of business decisions.

On topic: this game looks pretty awesome. And really beautiful in some cases.

i'd even jump on a kenzan/ishin pack.

Played the demo and I was really digging the game. I did karaoke, found a glowing sword, hid in a barrel and sliced a lot of dudes. I really wish I could understand it all, no idea what I was giving people or why. All of the street fights were sword/gun, did one two handed sword battle in a dojo but I never got to try hand to hand... Is it possible in the demo? Can you change stances dynamically?

Prob gonna buy this, with my luck that means they'll announce a localization the following day. How much does this end up costing in USD if I buy it digitally?

Keylow415

Played the demo and I was really digging the game. I did karaoke, found a glowing sword, hid in a barrel and sliced a lot of dudes. I really wish I could understand it all, no idea what I was giving people or why. All of the street fights were sword/gun, did one two handed sword battle in a dojo but I never got to try hand to hand... Is it possible in the demo? Can you change stances dynamically?

Prob gonna buy this, with my luck that means they'll announce a localization the following day.

the Dpad changes the fighting styles

I realized while messing around with the demo that a Gintama game designed like Ryu Ga Gotoku would be awesome. Gintoki would be the lead, silly little odd jobs would be mini games, more important odd jobs would progress the story, and so on.

It's a perfect match.

Keylow415

I realized while messing around with the demo that a Gintama game designed like Ryu Ga Gotoku would be awesome. Gintoki would be the lead, silly little odd jobs would be mini games, more important odd jobs would progress the story, and so on.

It's a perfect match.

that sound really dam cool. i would play that

See the thing was I used the title so if anyone who, wasn't familiar with the series but like samurai stuff might be interested rather than a "Boo you suck for not localizing this Sega!" title. We all know Sega isn't perfect(that much is certain) but I'd rather not push any new fans or old ones away.
My idea was to try and sell this game to new players by changing the thread title so it compares it to games they may already may be familiar with and then give them an immediate idea of the setting. How would that push away new fans exactly? Do you just quote posts at random?

dreamfall

Beautiful OT.

One day in the states... one day.

I really look forward to hearing GAF impressions- it looks astounding. Nagoshi forever!

If by "thriller dance" you guys mean the sub-quest with people dancing outside, that is folk dancing. It is also based on a hippy like movement that was going on at that time called ee janai ka. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ee_ja_nai_ka

Many of the sidequests in Ryu ga gotoku are based on contemporary events and current flavour of the year pop culture. The games set in the past seem to continue this tradition.

"Does look fun. I'd love a samurai game with Bushido blade combat mechanics. Some one hit kills and body damage. "

If you want a one hit kill samurai game, some way of the samurai games have instant death mode. They have all been localized.

ranmafan

Got my copy, a day late but can't help the delivery issues in my part of Japan lately. It's been my most anticipated ps4 release by far. Going to be playing all night tonight for sure!

Playing this right now, bought the Asia version that comes with a fully translated script in Chinese (which I'm fluent in), so I have to read the script after each cut scene finishes to understand what's going on. I can follow the main plot but damn it makes me so sad that I'll miss out on all the wonderfully weird but awesome sidequests since those aren't translated in the script.

Please give us a localized English version, Sega, I've done my part and bought a game that I can barely understand half the content. Why don't you want more of my money?

Is it cheaper on PSN store vs retail?
Maybe if you could get a code for a good price. Play Asia will ship me a disc for $82 but it would cost roughly $105 to get enough with their digital codes. I'm gonna shop around for prices on a disc and sleep on it.

Are they offering a PS3->PS4 deal?

Since Sega won't do it why the hell doesn't Sony toss them a few bucks to help with localization? (And a little advertising would be nice too.) This is practically the only 3rd party PS exclusive franchise left after everything went multiplat last gen. Show it some love Sony! Help us get Yakuza 5 and Ishin!

For the love of gaming!

Top Bottom