• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryzen 9 9950X3D and 9900X3D to Feature 3D V-cache on Both CCD Chiplets

winjer

Gold Member

Earlier this week, we got rumors that AMD is rushing in the Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-core/16-thread "Zen 5" processor with 3D V-cache for a late-October debut. The 9800X3D succeeds the popular 7800X3D, and AMD probably hopes it will have a competitive gaming processor in time for Intel's Core Ultra 2-series "Arrow Lake-S" launch. In the previous article, it was reported that the higher core-count 9000X3D series processor models, the Ryzen 9 9950X3D and Ryzen 9 9900X3D, would arrive some time in Q1 2025, because it was reported that the chips have certain "new features" compared to their predecessors, the 7950X3D and 7900X3D. At the time, we even explored the possibility of AMD giving both 8-core CCDs on the processor 3D V-cache. Turns out, this is where things are headed.

A new report by Benchlife.info claims that the higher core-count 9950X3D and 9900X3D will implement 3D V-cache on both CCD chiplets, giving these processors an impressive 192 MB of L3 cache (96 MB per CCD), and 208 MB or 204 MB of "total cache" (L2+L3). The report also says that AMD is planning a Ryzen 5 9600X3D chip, its second attempt at taking on Intel's Core i5 lineup, following its very recent release of the Ryzen 5 7600X3D, which ended up 1-3% short of the Core i5-14600K in gaming workloads. There's no word on whether the 9600X3D will launch in October alongside the 9800X3D, or in Q1-2025 with the Ryzen 9 9000X3D series.

The introduction of 3D V-cache on both CCDs of the 9950X3D and 9900X3D could be interesting, as both chiplets will be capable of gaming workloads at a uniform performance level. On the 7950X3D and 7900X3D, OS scheduler-level QoS logic ensure gaming workloads are scheduled to the CCD with the 3D V-cache, while multithreaded productivity workloads are allowed to spread across both CCDs.

That is a lot of cache. But how much cash will this cost?

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
If there's actual substantial gains in gaming over a 7800X3D, I may consider one of these 9000 X3D processors. Certainly in no rush though.

GHG

This is what I was hoping for. Completely removes the need for any software to ensure games run at their best.

Ozriel

M$FT
The 7800x3D is brilliant for gaming but loses out in productivity when compared to top of the line Intel chips.

Hopefully these strike a better balance and give us the best of both worlds

Celcius

°Temp. member
Disappointing that the big cpus don't come out when the 9800X3D does but seems like they could be worth waiting on. Hmm...
Will be interesting to see Arrow Lake vs 9800X3D at least in October

Last edited:

Fahdis

Imagine this CPU with a 5090. I'm gonna coooooooom. No upgrade needed for a loooooong time. But then again, my wallet has moth balls.

Intel rn:

Run Women GIF

john2gr

While this is impressive, there aren't a lot of games that can take advantage of more than six CPU cores. So, regarding gaming, this is a nothing-burger. Better IPC will still be the number one factor in terms of gaming performance. Until we get games that can effectively utilize more than eight CPU cores, we'll have newer CPUs. At least now the owners of the 9950X3D won't have to disable the second CCD to avoid any performance loss (as some games sometimes use the second CCD on the 7950X3D by default).

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
While this is impressive, there aren't a lot of games that can take advantage of more than six CPU cores. So, regarding gaming, this is a nothing-burger. Until we get games that can effectively utilize more than eight CPU cores, we'll have newer CPUs. At least now the owners of the 9950X3D won't have to disable the second CCD to avoid any performance loss (as some games sometimes use the second CCD on the 7950X3D by default).

The point of these CPUs is not just gaming. For that there is the 9800X3D.
These CPUs are for people that want a CPU for productivity and for gaming, with maximum performance.

john2gr

These CPUs are for people that want a CPU for productivity and for gaming, with maximum performance.

Yup, that's why I talked only about gaming performance, not overall ;)

Imtjnotu

The 7800x3D is brilliant for gaming but loses out in productivity when compared to top of the line Intel chips.

Hopefully these strike a better balance and give us the best of both worlds
This is why I went with the 9700x over the 7800x3d..

The 3D had very minimal gains In gaming but lost out by a good chunk on productivity

winjer

Gold Member

Lol yes.

Intel has released the 0x12B microcode for 13th and 14th Gen Intel® Core™ desktop processors to improve system stability.

winjer

Gold Member
How is an update supposed to stop a physical issue?

If these Intel CPUs are already degraded, there is nothing this update can do. At that point, the only option is to do an RMA.
What these updates do is reduce voltages, to safer levels, so that the CPUs that have not degraded, won't continue to degrade as fast.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I am still wondering what’s the point of having the VCache on both CCDs. I thought the whole point of core parking was because cross-CCD communication is expensive and games don’t really benefit from >8 cores anyway.

Will they not park the cores for gaming with these? Or is there some non-gaming use case where it makes sense to have 2 CCDs both with Vcache?

smbu2000

Disappointing that the big cpus don't come out when the 9800X3D does but seems like they could be worth waiting on. Hmm...
Will be interesting to see Arrow Lake vs 9800X3D at least in October
Interesting because with the 7000 series AMD launched the 7950x3d and 7900x3d cpus before launching the 7800x3d over a month later. There were some complaints that they should have released the 7800x3d first/at the same time as it was the better value for gaming and did the higher core count cpus first to get more money from the esrly adopters.

Now they are doing the opposite.

winjer

Gold Member
I am still wondering what’s the point of having the VCache on both CCDs. I thought the whole point of core parking was because cross-CCD communication is expensive and games don’t really benefit from >8 cores anyway.

Will they not park the cores for gaming with these? Or is there some non-gaming use case where it makes sense to have 2 CCDs both with Vcache?

I guess we'll find out when these release and we can see some independent reviews.

StereoVsn

That is a lot of cache. But how much cash will this cost?
It doesn’t matter. As the Leather Jacket Man says:

“The More You Buy, The More You Save!”

Edit: On a more serious note I am interested in the 9950x3D now.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

This is what I was hoping for. Completely removes the need for any software to ensure games run at their best.
Latency optimization between two chiplets would help though. Isn’t that one of the issues latest patches from AMD and MS fixed?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If the performance is there, I may actually consider one of these this round. I will be keeping a close eye on the 9800X3D and these parts. Was almost automatically going to at least look at the 9800X3D but now I have to think about the higher parts. The lack of 3D vcache is the main reason I didn't opt for those parts in the 7xxx series X3D.

Codeblew

It must help or they wouldn't bother doing it. I guess we will find out when benchmarks come out. If good, I will get one for sure, otherwise, I will just get a cheaper 9950x for productivity. I refuse to park cores and other bullshit. What a crap user experience.

Absolute waste. I say this as a 7950x3D owner. No benefit to it at all. No games effectively scale past 8 cores and 16 threads, and not all games benefit from extra cache. For those games, having 8 high frequency cores would be beneficial. Not to mention even IF a game benefitted from more than 8 cores with 3D cache, you'd still lose a ton of performance from crossing CCDs and taking a massive latency hit. AMD caved in to placate the drooling masses too dumb to understand these things who demanded all cores have 3D cache.

Top Bottom