• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

Zoe

Huh? Can you elaborate?

I thought the Hell Tree arc was merely a way to let the manga get ahead a bit.

This isn't like shonen. The manga was always one arc a year, and the formats were planned in tandem.

Besides, it deviated so much to not matter.

Pluto

Yes, but the entire first arc of R was still created to give the manga time to catch up, that was the story for years. I don't see how it can be described as a repair arc, what did it repair that took 13 episodes?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Yes, that's what I thought too.
There wasn't even much to repair beyond restoring everyones memories, that could have happened in the first episode with Chibiusa appearing at the end of the first episode. That she arrived after the villains hunting her could be explained with time travel shenanigans.
Nah, as loose as an adaptation as the anime was, it still had to remain in the same ballpark to continue taking general cues from it. The events of R all happen out of an inevitability established in the first manga arc that only got undercut in the first anime season. Chibiusa only exists with Usagi being Sailor Moon and remaining Sailor Moon with Mamoru at her side, and, most importantly, Usagi had to accept herself and her role. That whole "I just want to live a normal life" in the anime had to go. Normally in the manga Chibiusa appears right after Metallia is gone, but since the anime hit the reset button using this motivation that can't happen. Several things had to be put back in place, and with a proper motivation so it's not just a retcon.

Similarly, in going from Dream to Stars in the manga, Usagi and the rest already had to be in high school, she had to have already gone Eternal, and all the Outers needed to have already come back into the picture. None of those actually happened in Supers, so the anime had to provide a reason for it to.

As for why Ail and Ann took 13 episodes and not less is another question, and that probably has more to do with buying time as the first season also spent 13 episodes without making any particular story moves. However, looking at the relative timelines of the anime and the manga(and making reasonable assumptions on Nakayoshi releases vs tankoubon), while the anime does let the manga get comfortably ahead during R, this doesn't seem to matter much during S.

Another thing to consider is that episode 60 is when the anime changed hands from Junichi Satou to Kunihiko Ikuhara, who also became busy with the production of the R movie shortly afterward.

Cheerilee

I think it's much more likely that the people on the american side were uncomfortable with the starlight transformation sex change and had no idea how to deal with it.
I don't think that would have even slowed them down for a minute. Optimum (the studio hired by DiC and then Pioneer and then Cloverway) "fixed" a gay couple in S1 by arbitrarily declaring that one of them was female, "fixed" another gay couple in S3 by claiming that they were related so that obvious signs of affection could be handwaved away, and "fixed" a crossdresser in S4 by claiming that he was a she, even though "she" blatantly took her shirt off on camera (Optimum just left that in there, Cartoon Network had to censor it on their end).

It would've been entirely within Optimum's MO to just claim that the Starlights were heterosexual girls, all the time. They simply wear men's suits on stage because they like to look like accountants. It's a Clark Kent disguise.

Cloverway supposedly had the rights to Sailorstars (as did DiC before them, because it was a "TV series" license, not broken up season-by-season), and they along with the Cartoon Network and Pioneer were getting high ratings and selling lots of DVDs and earning a lot of money. It was Optimum's job to take care of these little problems, which BTW were only problems in Optimum's minds (a multimillion-selling Nintendo game even played the gender-change disguise card a few years earlier).

Optimum was too low on the totem pole to kill Sailorstars. Someone higher than Cloverway had to do it, which basically leaves Toei and/or Naoko Takeuchi, and plenty of theories.

There's this word again, "allegedly".
Well, I put it there for a reason.

The new anime has never claimed that and neither did PGSM iirc.
Speaking about PGSM, that show made Minako a completely different character, turned Luna into a Sailor Soldier, Mercury into a villain and made Serenity mentally unstable and responsible for the destruction of the moon and the earth, it was much more different than the original anime. What vision of Naoko's what that supposed to be in line with?
I think there's a difference between changes made to mix things up and keep things fresh while Naoko is not in the room, and the ones made while she is in the room and they're asking her for permission.

From what I remember reading, Naoko always wanted to have a larger role in the workings of the anime (resulting in things like the new S5 opening song), but she was too busy until the manga ended.

Edit:
There's no reason to believe she disliked any changes, in all public statements, in the manga notes, in the artbooks and in interviews she always said that she loves the anime or simply commented on changes. "Naoko hates this and that" is something I've read lots of times, but there's never a source, just fans jumping to conclusions.
I do remember that one of the founders of ADV once "implied" on forums that the reason his "complete season 2 box set" was missing one filler episode was because that specific episode had fallen out of favor with Naoko Takeuchi, but then he clammed up, saying that he was contractually not allowed to say or even imply that was true.

MikeMyers

Is that episode the Chibiusa dinosaur one? I always heard that it was the worst episode ever, but I liked it.

tumblr_mg1kxdf5zk1qe8we7o1_500.jpg

Also, Usagi's Pokemon Team!

UberTag

Another strike against Stars, I missed my main man Mamoru! Tōru Furuya is amazing, he appears in like all my favorite series. Found out today he was in the first Pokemon movie, which I kind of wanted to see subtitled.
If you haven't sought it out at some point in the past, track down Marmalade Boy. Not only is it shoujo crack but Tōru Furuya has a prominent supporting role.

UberTag

One of my favorite Kotono Mitsuishi roles is as Katherine in Catherine. The dub is a pale, pale imitation.
You could make that argument for most localizations of Kotono Mitsuishi roles. She sets a tough standard to measure up to. Incredibly gifted actress.

MikeMyers

I know Hotaru is also Videl/Pan in Dragon Ball, and Chibiusa is Kari from Digimon Adventure. Oh apparently Naru is doing Videl in the Kai version of the Buu arc.

Tōru Furuya also appears in InuYasha: The Final Act, but I watched that in English. However I did rewatch his scenes in Japanese just to hear him.

cj_iwakura

You could make that argument for most localizations of Kotono Mitsuishi roles. She sets a tough standard to measure up to. Incredibly gifted actress.

I thought Excel Saga's Jessica Calvillo did a dynamite job. It even drove her nuts!

My problem with Katherine's dub is she sounds more bitchy than motherly.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Kotono Mitsuishi was basically the OVA Queen in the late 90's. In one season she had 6-7 simultaneous roles. Aya Hisakawa(Ami) also became highly prolific but not until early 2000's did she get the same amount of work.

Megumi Ogata(Haruka) is, of course, Shinji Ikari and also the original Yuugi in YGO S0.

Rika Fukami(Minako) is Spoor in Crest of the Stars, arguably the best character in that franchise. Unfortunately she hasn't worked that much overall, but she also had a bit role as a flight PA in Minky Momo: Yume no naka no rondo.

Emi Shinohara(Makoto) and Masako Katsuki(Michiru) both play notable roles in the influential shoujo drama Oniisama e. Ikuhara's Revolutionary Girl Utena is basically this show combined with Sailor Moon.

Speaking of which, there's a lot of carryover in casting from Sailor Moon S to Utena.

Zoe

I was sad Hayashibara Megumi was only in the S movie. She and Mitsuishi Kotono were the power combo in the 90's.

MikeMyers

Are you referring to personalities varying per version? That's true, but it'd still be weird to hear different voices coming out of their mouths.

MikeMyers

tumblr_lp80urxoud1qkgx6vo1_500.gif

God Driving?

I'm not familiar with Japanese culture so pardon my ignorance when I ask this but....is there any reason why the girls speak English when they transform and shout attacks?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Shabon isn't English!

It's like spells being done with Latin in Harry Potter, except they know enough English to understand it but it's still foreign enough to be cool.

MikeMyers

Megumi <3

Have you checked out the new 2-in-1 release of Ranma 1/2? I skimmed through it at the bookstore, good stuff. Can't wait for the Blu-Ray.

Speaking of which, so proud of owning the new Sailor Moon and Codename: Sailor V manga. I really like how the covers depict a different Senshi for each one.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Moonlight Densetsu - Moiro Clover Z

Edit- Removed but it's on Tumblr.

They're keeping it! I'm so happy.

Edit 2- Apparently this isn't new info. I was so excited though. :(

The Sailor Jupiter S.H. Figuarts figure is now scheduled for a July release, with pre-orders starting in April.

I gave up buying Figuarts like a year and a half ago but I guess I could make an exception for Makoto. She can get in on the same loophole as the Tyranno and Dragon Rangers did.

I read volume 6 this evening. This is entirely new ground for me, since I watched the dub as a kid in the 90s and never saw anything past R (and have only seen a handful of early episodes in Japanese since) and am pretty sure I only read the Dark Kingdom arc when I first checked out the comic roughly ten years ago.

I really like that they kept Minako being a fan of idols like in Codename Sailor V (and brought back her compact from same). That was some neat continuity. Uranus and Neptune seem really cool so far, too.

Trouble is, that was the last of the volumes I own for now :/ Have the set with the back half of the series coming in the mail, though.

Top Bottom