• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If you're watching Sailor Moon for the plot, you're doing it wrong. It's an episodic show. Character antics are where it shines.

There's no wrong way to watch anything. Ever. I hate subscribing to that philosophy.

The show does get a bit stale around Super S though and I find Stars largely unwatchable despite a few gems here and there.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
There's no wrong way to watch anything. Ever. I hate subscribing to that philosophy.

The show does get a bit stale around Super S though and I find Stars largely unwatchable despite a few gems here and there.
If the expectations you have cause you to disregard some of the best parts of the show, including entire seasons, then clearly a reevaluation is in order.

Even if you disagree with the "best parts", it's certainly the vast majority of the show. It's a shame to simply discard it all in favor of the few times it does push forward continuity, as good as those times may or may not be.

MikeMyers

Fisheye.jpg

SuperS gave us best villain.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If the expectations you have cause you to disregard some of the best parts of the show, including entire seasons, then clearly a reevaluation is in order.

Even if you disagree with the "best parts", it's certainly the vast majority of the show. It's a shame to simply discard it all in favor of the few times it does push forward continuity, as good as those times may or may not be.

I think we have a break down in communication here.

I like all of Sailor Moon (besides Stars, which isn't good) but I find the first season to be the best all together, then the second...and so on. There's more episodes I enjoy in the first season than in the second, the second to the third, and so on.

So to reiterate I prefer overall as a package: Sailor Moon>Sailor Moon R>Sailor Moon S>Super S>Sailor Stars.

I do sort of wish the series had ended with S or Super S but I did find quite a few enjoyable episodes in Super S (maybe a third or so) compared to two or three in Stars.

That's on me though. I clearly like "the vast majority" of Sailor moon though. If you like Stars, cool. That's on you though.

UberTag

Glad to see so many people share my lack of enthusiasm for Sailor Stars. The only parts of Stars I enjoyed were the first 6 episodes (which were essentially a SuperS ending do-over) and the opening theme (which is pretty sweet).

And if you adore Minako you have excellent taste.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Just trying to get a handle on the thought process behind that ranking, and it certainly matches Minako's screentime.

Really though, it's not all that useful to rank seasons without touching on specifics in the seasons themselves.

MikeMyers

Just trying to get a handle on the thought process behind that ranking, and it certainly matches Minako's screentime.

Really though, it's not really all that useful to rank seasons without touching on specifics in the seasons themselves.

I didn't like the Starlights ("Search For Your Love" is a cool song though) and I actually prefer Chibiusa over Chibi Chibi. The season mostly felt like Usagi and a plus one too for me.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ah, true. It's fairly dominated by Usagi and Minako overall. Ami has some moments too, but Makoto definitely gets pushed to the side.

MikeMyers

Is Sailor Mercury really the most popular Senshi in Japan? I've heard that quite a few times, but until I see any valid evidence I'm taking everything I hear in this fandom with a grain of salt.

MikeMyers

Well, her Special was the only one to get animated.

Yeah, that's what came to mind.

Another strike against Stars, I missed my main man Mamoru! Tōru Furuya is amazing, he appears in like all my favorite series. Found out today he was in the first Pokemon movie, which I kind of wanted to see subtitled. Although I always enjoyed the 4kids dub of that show, the movie turned me off with the late 90s pop songs being added.

zeopower6

アニメ版の水野亜美(セーラーマーキュリー)は、アニメ雑誌の『月刊アニメージュ』(徳間書店)の「キャラクターBest10」で、1993年度、1994年度のトータル1位になるほどの人気キャラクターとなった。一方で、漫画版の第1回セーラームーン人気投票では、セーラーマーキュリーが4位で、水野亜美が7位だった。

I think she got #1 overall in Animage for two years in a row.

http://www.chikimato.net/maniacs/charabes.htm

The rankings if they're needed.

MikeMyers

Nice.

I was dissapointed at Mercury's 'lesser' role in the manga, I mean I don't even think she got to kick Shitennou or Amazon Trio ass by herself. Then again, the manga is way more plot-focused than character-focused. I recently bought Short Stories, so let's how that is.

Pluto

The German theme song is still so effing good.
Only the first one, the later replacement themes (used temporarily to promote a stupid group dressed inspired by Sailor Moon, thank god they always returned to the original theme) were horrible.

The first theme song is awesome and I love listening to it, every time I hear it I'm in the mood for Sailor Moon, pure 90s nostalgia.

I think it's also the only time a techno song managed to be techno and strangely cute at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB0Z3iBFG3Q

Pluto

I like all season (but SuperS the least) but my favorite is definitely the first one, I liked the revelation of the backstory and the slow introduction of the characters, having Jupiter show up halfway through the series was nice, it made having a new soldier more special than if she had popped up two or three episodes after Mars. Venus coming in close to the end was the best, I didn't expect a new addition at all (it obviously helped that the german dub kept the first opening animation, so I was completely unspoiled), Sailor V is Sailor Venus, my mind was blown!

The only thing I didn't like about Sailor Stars (it's not just "Stars" ;P ) was that Mamoru was written out and that the outers were barely used after the initial Nehelenia arc. The season had other problems but the inners being reduced to extras and the supporting cast disappearing started much earlier.

Is Sailor Mercury really the most popular Senshi in Japan? I've heard that quite a few times, but until I see any valid evidence I'm taking everything I hear in this fandom with a grain of salt.

Yknow, I'll have to go to my friends office and check his Animage collection.. He's got all of them starting from the early 80s, so I'm sure I can find out.

Bladenic

What are the chances of the original anime being made more readily available at some point soon? It's a perfect time to do it with the new one coming out.

Bladenic

Also while I'm supremely excited for the new anime, I do kinda wish it was gonna be more different than just a more faithful manga adaptation. Like why not a reboot or something? Of course I'm excited for the prospect of new Sailor Moon with new animation etc.

Cheerilee

What are the chances of the original anime being made more readily available at some point soon? It's a perfect time to do it with the new one coming out.

Since the new one is right around the corner, I'd say it's too late for a DVD or BluRay release in North America. We'd have heard something by now if it was intended to be part of the party.

I'd say that maybe the classic series could quietly drop on Netflix or some other streaming website while the new episodes air, but even that couldn't easily be done in English. They'd have to contact ADV (dead) and Pioneer (dead) to put up the subbed version, or contact DiC and Cloverway to get the dubbed version. And even then, season 5 would be MIA, because it was never translated (allegedly due to Naoko Takeuchi blocking it).

Funimation has basically said that they'd snap up the rights to Sailormoon and retranslate it as soon as it became available, they'd even be inclined to re-dub the series because it's as good as gold to them, but every time they asked, Toei apparently said that it's not for sale.

One of the main holdups for the rights in America is apparently that you need to get three signatures on the contract, or the project dies. You need Naoko Takeuchi, you need Kodansha, and you need Toei. But Naoko allegedly doesn't like the changes that Toei made in adapting her work, so if she doesn't want to sign, then nobody can move forward without her.

The manga only needed two signatures, Naoko and Kodansha. And it was Kodansha USA who was doing the asking, and Naoko obviously likes her own original manga, and wants the world to experience it, so that got signed.

That's apparently why the new anime (as well as PGSM before it) claims to be more in line with Naoko's vision, because she's in charge now (now that she's not overworked drawing a regular series), and they need to keep her happy. The manga re-release was apparently the lead-up to the new series, and it would seem that they want all the attention to be focused on the new show, not distracted away by a BluRay release of the old one.

Pluto

Also while I'm supremely excited for the new anime, I do kinda wish it was gonna be more different than just a more faithful manga adaptation.
I don't remember anyone involved with the new anime ever saying that, they only said it won't be a remake of the first anime but a new adaptation of the manga, "new adaptation" doesn't have to mean more faithful.

And even then, season 5 would be MIA, because it was never translated (allegedly due to Naoko Takeuchi blocking it).
Every other market got a Sailor Stars dub, why would Naoko takeuchi arbitrarily decide that america doesn't get one? I think it's much more likely that the people on the american side were uncomfortable with the starlight transformation sex change and had no idea how to deal with it.

But Naoko allegedly doesn't like the changes that Toei made in adapting her work, so if she doesn't want to sign, then nobody can move forward without her.
There's this word again, "allegedly". There's no reason to believe she disliked any changes, in all public statements, in the manga notes, in the artbooks and in interviews she always said that she loves the anime or simply commented on changes. "Naoko hates this and that" is something I've read lots of times, but there's never a source, just fans jumping to conclusions.
You should also keep in mind that she blocked the manga just as long as the anime, the international revival for both started around the same time. Most likely it was just about money and Naoko wanting to have more power, it is her creation after all.

That's apparently why the new anime (as well as PGSM before it) claims to be more in line with Naoko's vision, ...
The new anime has never claimed that and neither did PGSM iirc.
Speaking about PGSM, that show made Minako a completely different character, turned Luna into a Sailor Soldier, Mercury into a villain and made Serenity mentally unstable and responsible for the destruction of the moon and the earth, it was much more different than the original anime. What vision of Naoko's what that supposed to be in line with?

Has Toei Animation ever even put anything on Blu-Ray? Just wondering.
Pretty Cure is on Blu-Ray but it's probably easier for them to release current shows in HD.

MikeMyers

There's this word again, "allegedly". There's no reason to believe she disliked any changes, in all public statements, in the manga notes, in the artbooks and in interviews she always said that she loves the anime or simply commented on changes. "Naoko hates this and that" is something I've read lots of times, but there's never a source, just fans jumping to conclusions.
Well apparently at a 1998 San Diego Comic-Con she expressed dislike for the Starlights characterization in the anime.

Speaking about PGSM, that show made Minako a completely different character, turned Luna into a Sailor Soldier, Mercury into a villain and made Serenity mentally unstable and responsible for the destruction of the moon and the earth, it was much more different than the original anime. What vision of Naoko's what that supposed to be in line with?.

Isn't Sailor Luna a Naoko Takeuchi creation? No idea about Minako acting like an outer and Mercury turning "evil" though.

tumblr_lpew69RnXa1qjkedbo1_500.jpg

Pluto

Isn't Sailor Luna a Naoko Takeuchi creation?
She did the design, she also designed Princess Sailor Moon but we have no idea if she created them or just made the costumes after the writer's created them.

Still, PGSM is so different that it's hard to claim it's more in line with Naoko's vision, unless her vision did a 180, but in that case she should dislike the manga now.

I'm pretty sure she's much less stuck on keeping things in line with the original manga than some fans, she obviously wants to be involved but I don't think it's about what most fans think it is. She's not clutching the manga insisting on her "vision", she's a business woman.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Also keep in mind that due to the nature of manga production, works are rarely done in isolation. Introducing Chibiusa was her editor's idea, after all.

MikeMyers

Interesting to know. Chibiusa felt forced in the R anime, but I never thought that in the R manga.

Pluto -- I edited my post while you were responding to me, so you might have missed that she apparently does dislike how the Starlights were handled.

Pluto

Also keep in mind that due to the nature of manga production, works are rarely done in isolation. Introducing Chibiusa was her editor's idea, after all.
If we go back to the start, the idea of a heroine in a sailor suit was her editor's, that's why she did Sailor V in the first place.

Pluto -- I edited my post while you were responding to me, so you might have missed that she apparently does dislike how the Starlights were handled.
Yup, I missed that. It's really the first time I read something like that, her comments about the starlights in the artbook were more about her being surprised, not about disliking it.

But I still think fans tend to jump to conclusions, not liking one element is not the same as disliking the anime and blocking it for that reason.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
If we go back to the start, the idea of a heroine in a sailor suit was her editor's, that's why she did Sailor V in the first place.
Like I said, though, heavy editor involvement is the norm in manga, not the exception.

Unless it's doujinshi, of course.

MikeMyers

Speaking of which I still need to finish Codename: Sailor V, got about 2 chapters left or something.

I really like the "monster of the week" feel it had. Minako seemed a lot more bubbly in that compared to the SM manga. Although anime Minako was way more over the top, and manga PGSM Minako was way more serious. It's really funny how the personalities seem to range per adaptation. I wonder what they'll be like in the new series?

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Interesting to know. Chibiusa felt forced in the R anime, but I never thought that in the R manga.
Anime fans should be grateful for Chibiusa. Her existence prevented Toei from hitting the reset button ever again, even though they got impatient enough to try to start on a clean slate with Supers. Things went their way more in Ojamajo Doremi, and its a testament to how strong that show is that it withstands it. With Precure, Toei finally got their ideal show, where each audience is completely disposable.

MikeMyers

I always did like the Ali & En arc from Sailor Moon R which was a semi-reboot; it even had my favorite episode (the one where we learn what talent is all about).

Admittingly, if Toei Animation did reboot the series every year it'd probably get stale fast.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Ail and Ann was a repair arc, just like the Nehelenia redux in Stars as Supers failed to meet several prerequisites for the story.

MikeMyers

Do you know what the inspiration was behind the whole Moonlight Knight Mamouru gimmick? That was one of he most hilarious things ever, so random!

Pluto

Huh? Can you elaborate?

I thought the Hell Tree arc was merely a way to let the manga get ahead a bit.
Yes, that's what I thought too.
There wasn't even much to repair beyond restoring everyones memories, that could have happened in the first episode with Chibiusa appearing at the end of the first episode. That she arrived after the villains hunting her could be explained with time travel shenanigans.

Top Bottom