• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Salem's Lot Trailer. Available for streaming Oct 3

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
ABSOLUTELY read the book, it is PEAK King.

This looks pretty good, I think I quit Max but if it gets good reviews maybe I'll pop back in for a month for a Halloween viewing.
I'm pretty excited for the book. I've been meaning to read it for 20 years. Should I read the book first or watch the movie?

I really like the visual look of this movie based on the trailer. It has a very "classic" feel to it.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm pretty excited for the book. I've been meaning to read it for 20 years. Should I read the book first or watch the movie?

I really like the visual look of this movie based on the trailer. It has a very "classic" feel to it.
Hard to say. The trailer seems to follow the book in a lot of areas, so I think the rough plot beats will all be there, so one will 'spoil' the other. But Salem's Lot is so strong with character that, like all the best King books, it isn't really about what happens thats important but how you care for the people it's happening to. It's a relatively short read compared to his later stuff as well so you could easily knock it out by next month.

So I think the book will shine no matter what, but if you read it in close proximity to this film then any deficiencies in the film are gonna be glaring. Few can improve on King (other than the ending, perhaps). But there are a few other Salem's Lot adaptations as well, the classic TV one 40 years ago and another from 20 years ago which I'm sure I watched but can't recall anything about it other than it had Rob Lowe. If you know you are gonna watch this new movie and don't actually know much about Salem's Lot, then watch it before the book so you can get a fresh take. But then you MUST read Lot, it's truely a great vamp book and no film adaptation really captures it completely.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
For what it's worth, I'm generally familiar with the story. I've seen the old 80s version and liked it well enough though it's been over 10 years so it's blurry. Also, I've read the Dark Tower, and it talks in depth about certain parts of the story. But I guess my concern is as you said. If I read the book first, it will make the detrimental / less good parts of the movie seem more apparent.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Id watch the show (if it's decent) first and then read the book, as the book will be like an extended directors cut, yes you know the general story but the sheer amount of additional story and characters keeps it interesting, whereas other way round, you've pretty much spoilt the show whilst constantly thinking Why'd they cut this out and why's that different etc...

I watched this as a far too young kid with my dad and it scared the shit outa both of us

Peggies

Gold Member

It's one of my favourite Kings. Read the book first! There's so much going on that's left out in the movie I pressume.

jason10mm

Gold Member
You mean he was smacked out of his tits on coke, couldn't remember writing it, and the ending was shit?
Thats what I said, peak king! :p

You act as if he has good endings for ANY of his books :p He's very much a journey guy, not about the destination. Though I love his early work for being tighter reads before he just started going gonzo with the backstories of everyone.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Thats what I said, peak king! :p

You act as if he has good endings for ANY of his books :p
I think the ending of the Dark Tower was one of the most bravest trolls I've ever seen in my life. Sure the fight with the Crimson King sucked ass, but Roland scaling the tower was magnificent. "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed."

Last edited:

NickFire

That trailer kicks ass. Can't wait for this. I do wonder why it skipped theaters though.

As an aside, it would be really cool if they made references to Chapelwaite / Jerusalem's Lot. But not getting hopes up. I think the show was from different company.

Badlucktroll

Gold Member
i hope they do the tommyknockers the one where the secret buried alien spaceship turns people in a small town into geniuses

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Already mentioned above but salems lot is part of so many of kings other novels. Great book and love all the nods and payoffs that you get in other worlds he has written.

Trailer looks solid..if you have the time read or listen to the book before release!

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
i hope they do the tommyknockers the one where the secret buried alien spaceship turns people in a small town into geniuses
They made a TV movie in the 90s. I don't remember if it was good or not. Probably not lol.

This looks solid. I hope we get more faithful adaptations of kings books in the future. Was that recent Stand series any good?

jason10mm

Gold Member
This looks solid. I hope we get more faithful adaptations of kings books in the future.
I am FLABBERGASTED that they haven't done a horror meets fast and furious style CHRISTINE yet. I think a lot of the fear of Kings stuff, particularly the earlier works, is the "high school violence" aspect they would have to work around now. Characters being abused or bullied that then lash out with horrific effect.

But, that said, I would LOVE another CUJO, especially with how they could depict the dog now. Christine of course I think still has a lot of potential. A mini series based on The Talisman could be dope. I think I read somewhere they are doing "The Long Walk" which I think could be fantastic. A more book accurate The Running Man would be great as well.

RavageX

This looks pretty good actually.....to a degree. The original movie was definitely creepy when I saw it as a kid.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
They made a TV movie in the 90s. I don't remember if it was good or not. Probably not lol.

This looks solid. I hope we get more faithful adaptations of kings books in the future. Was that recent Stand series any good?

It was ok. Not great but not bad either. The Latina chick (I know her name but can't recall it right now) had ONE scene where she's in lingerie and you can see that phat booty plain as day! I remember rewinding back to it multiple times!

Top Bottom