• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

kaskade

Man, I've been getting some weird camera bugs with CM10.1. I don't really want to but I might just go back to TouchWiz. Not sure if I can go with that UI.

Dash27

So my S3 has been acting up, not charging properly, freezes when I try to use the camera. Just odd behavior.

Verizon is sending me a new phone, which was very cool of them as it isnt under warranty. Is there a way to image my current phone, not just contacts but pictures, text messages, that sort of thing?

So my S3 has been acting up, not charging properly, freezes when I try to use the camera. Just odd behavior.

Verizon is sending me a new phone, which was very cool of them as it isnt under warranty. Is there a way to image my current phone, not just contacts but pictures, text messages, that sort of thing?

well, if your contacts are saved to your Google account, then all you have to do is sign again on the new device.

for just pictures and text messages? you can use SMS Backup & Restore for SMS and for pics, you can use an SD card or USB transfer, or you could even S Beam them!

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I just installed the latest ~115mb OTA update on my S3 (not rooted or anything) and now my phone says the SD card is damaged and may need to be formatted. I tried restarting it and removing the SD card and putting it back in but that doesn't fix it. Anyone else have this issue? What gives? The weird thing is it seems all the apps that are on my SD card still work...

OG Kush

Got the phone back in November and really starting to see the phone slwoing down and crashing and shit. Why does this happen and how can I fix it?

zedge

Multiwindow update is out for Canadian carriers now. Haven't been able to download ota yet, says server busy try again.

Got the phone back in November and really starting to see the phone slwoing down and crashing and shit. Why does this happen and how can I fix it?
Root it and install a decent custom ROM. I recommend Slim-Bean. It actually takes advantage of the fact that the screen is of a decent size, the size of the default UI on such a huge screen is a real piss take, especially the menus. Oh and it's less memory intensive than TouchWiz

thetechkid

I just installed the latest ~115mb OTA update on my S3 (not rooted or anything) and now my phone says the SD card is damaged and may need to be formatted. I tried restarting it and removing the SD card and putting it back in but that doesn't fix it. Anyone else have this issue? What gives? The weird thing is it seems all the apps that are on my SD card still work...

I had a somewhat similar issue where my phone began saying my SD card needed to be formatted, then randomly ejecting and mounting it, to finally not recognizing it. The SD card ending up just dying and I had to get it replaced, not exactly the same thing but thats what happened to me a few months back.

zedge

Just got my extended battery from mobilefun. Adds a few mm thickness but it feels great. Gives the phone a little more heft. Also ordered the diztronic case for extended battery.

http://ca.mobilefun.com/37556-genui...attery-kit-for-galaxy-s3---3000mah---blue.htm

1.jpg

Ordered last weekend arrived today, pretty good coming from UK.

Case from here. Hasnt arrived yet.

http://tpu-cases.com/index.php?main...in_description=1&keyword=extended+battery+gs3

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Just got my extended battery from mobilefun. Adds a few mm thickness but it feels great. Gives the phone a little more heft. Also ordered the diztronic case for extended battery.

http://ca.mobilefun.com/37556-genui...attery-kit-for-galaxy-s3---3000mah---blue.htm

1.jpg

Ordered last weekend arrived today, pretty good coming from UK.

Case from here. Hasnt arrived yet.

http://tpu-cases.com/index.php?main...in_description=1&keyword=extended+battery+gs3

That's cool? I might do this but I occasionally drop my phone. Do you know if that case is sturdy like an otter case?

inm8num2

Crap, I had been meaning to contact Samsung to see if they would be able to send me a new battery for my GS3. I forgot about this and now I'm a couple weeks past the purchase date of the phone from last year (late June 2012).

Do you guys think Samsung will be okay with this, or are they pretty firm with their warranty timeline?

yanhero

My phone is displaying strange info on the home screen, and when I hold the power button, instead of showing me a menu, it directly shuts down the phone. Anyone know how to fix this?

RuGalz

Ugh, my phone's GPS just died it looks like. And it just barely past that 1 year warranty. My fiancee's isn't without issues either -- already exchanged hers twice. I think I'll be looking for non-Samsung next time.

Edit: Well, I couldn't believe it but I finally found threads where people fixed their GPS issues on the phone by opening the battery cover and then tighten the 10 screws that is holding the phone together. Half of the screws on mine required a couple full turns to feel snug. It works again...

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Out of curiosity, I bought the official Samsung battery extender for my S3 which is 3000 mAh and it's been a really solid battery. You'll still keep the slim look of the phone unlike with the added bulk of my Anker one. With my use, it doesn't last me two days like the Anker one can, but it can last me a single day with moderate to heavy use all on HSPA+.

Looking at my stats right now it's been on for 20 hours with 5 hours and 37 minutes of screen time. Currently at 27%. Not bad IMO.

I just put Cyanogen on my S3 the other day and I'm hitting myself for not doing it sooner. It feels a lot more responsive, and battery life seems significantly improved.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Out of curiosity, I bought the official Samsung battery extender for my S3 which is 3000 mAh and it's been a really solid battery. You'll still keep the slim look of the phone unlike with the added bulk of my Anker one. With my use, it doesn't last me two days like the Anker one can, but it can last me a single day with moderate to heavy use all on HSPA+.

Looking at my stats right now it's been on for 20 hours with 5 hours and 37 minutes of screen time. Currently at 27%. Not bad IMO.

Do you have a link for this? I'm having trouble finding the official version.

Socreges

Banned
Wondering what your guys' opinions are on this:

My S3 battery is depleting extremely quickly. Within hours even without use. If I have it turned on and charging, it continues to deplete, though slowly.

Now, the part where the micro USB cable plugs into the phone appears to be (kind of) broken. It will occasionally and continually start and stop charging when plugged in. The connection is very finicky. This has been the case with different chargers, so I'm sure there must be something wrong with the phone itself.

Is it possible that both the 'female teeth' (ie, where the charger plugs in) and the battery are in need of fixing? I suppose the battery might be fine, but instead there's a problem with the software that's causing the battery to deplete so quickly.

MooMoo

Wondering what your guys' opinions are on this:

My S3 battery is depleting extremely quickly. Within hours even without use. If I have it turned on and charging, it continues to deplete, though slowly.

Now, the part where the micro USB cable plugs into the phone appears to be (kind of) broken. It will occasionally and continually start and stop charging when plugged in. The connection is very finicky. This has been the case with different chargers, so I'm sure there must be something wrong with the phone itself.

Is it possible that both the 'female teeth' (ie, where the charger plugs in) and the battery are in need of fixing? I suppose the battery might be fine, but instead there's a problem with the software that's causing the battery to deplete so quickly.
Hard to judge without more details. How long have you had your phone? Has the battery always drained quickly or is it a recent occurrence? If you want to rule out software being the main cause try BetterBatteryStats and see if anything is causing a wakelock:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1179809

If everything looks fine on that front, then it could be the connection; but even if the connector is faulty I'm inclined to think that this wouldn't affect how many hours the battery lasts (i.e. for the most part, a 100% charged battery is a 100% charged battery). Or you could just have an aging battery. Although in either case you'd probably want to hit up your carrier/Samsung to get your phone replaced.

Socreges

Banned
Hard to judge without more details. How long have you had your phone? Has the battery always drained quickly or is it a recent occurrence? If you want to rule out software being the main cause try BetterBatteryStats and see if anything is causing a wakelock:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1179809

If everything looks fine on that front, then it could be the connection; but even if the connector is faulty I'm inclined to think that this wouldn't affect how many hours the battery lasts (i.e. for the most part, a 100% charged battery is a 100% charged battery). Or you could just have an aging battery. Although in either case you'd probably want to hit up your carrier/Samsung to get your phone replaced.
Wow really? Is fixing the connection that expensive? Unfortunately I'm outside the warranty.

I'll check BetterBatteryStats. Thanks a lot for the reply

Wow really? Is fixing the connection that expensive? Unfortunately I'm outside the warranty.

I'll check BetterBatteryStats. Thanks a lot for the reply

it's not that it's expensive, it's that a faulty charging port is one of the things that is usually absolutely free to swap/repair under warranty.

RuGalz

So I had no idea that you can buy Qi compatible inductive wires for the phone on eBay for around $10. It fits inside the phone perfectly and is cheaper than the older touch stone solution that replaces the back cover. Totally recommend it if you have other Qi compatible devices.

Cr0wn0

So I had no idea that you can buy Qi compatible inductive wires for the phone on eBay for around $10. It fits inside the phone perfectly and is cheaper than the older touch stone solution that replaces the back cover. Totally recommend it if you have other Qi compatible devices.

So can I buy a touchstone and something like thishttp://www.amazon.com/SainSonic-Standard-Wireless-Charger-Receiver/dp/B00C3DKSRM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376082588&sr=8-1&keywords=i747+qi and it will all work?

bob page

I got my S3 back in March and I just noticed that some "ink" spots started to appear when a very dark background is on screen. For example, in the settings menu, I can see the spots if I look closely to the gradient in the background.

Will Verizon let me swap it out this late in the game?

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
You can always try.

So S3 GAF, how are your S3's treating you guys?

Mine is treating me so well. Never rooted my phone either, just using Nova Launcher. The problem I had with it before was battery as the stock battery was crap to me, but with these extended batteries I no longer have battery issues. Still love the phone as much as when I first got it.

RayStorm

My S3 (rooted with Omega ROM) is not treating me so well I'm afraid. Lately (I got it in November last year and to some extent it's always been an issue) battery life is very random.

My daily usage is pretty much browsing NeoGAF for 30 minutes on WLAN at home, having mobile data turned off and yet sometimes the battery lasts for 3+ days, and other times it's empty after 15 hours.

I thought I had located the issue when I noticed a slight correlation with using the music player to play my mp3s from the sd card, but nope... Not really the case.

In fact just on the most recent charge cycle there are three steep drops of about 30% charge each separated by 3 plateaus of nearly zero usage. In fact the battery for the past 7 hours has remained at 4% charge. Prior to that I once removed the battery yesterday after the phone randomly rebooted itself (that's a new one) and the charge dropped from 46% to 24% which it then proceeded to show for most of the day today. Until I actually used it for an hour long phone call (and the aforementioned 30 minutes of browsing) after which it dropped to the 4%.

I'm quite puzzled and unhappy with that. Also because I feel it might have something to do with me flashing a different ROM. :(

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Woah, wtf that's weird.

Have you tried buying a new battery?

Or flashing another ROM? Or going back to stock?

RayStorm

No to all of those.

Apparently I'm not yet enough bothered by it to go through the trouble of at least trying a different ROM/going back to stock. Although that idea crossed my mind multiple times, I equate doing so with a lot of hassle. :(

But I might get on it in the next few days.

Cr0wn0

Mine's been great, I picked up a Zero lemon battery and never worry about battery life. Unfortunately for me I've gotta switch back to iOS soon or carry 2 devices.

Top Bottom