• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S III (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Ifrit

Newbie question, since I haven't really used an Android phone, is it necessary to have an antivirus/antimalware program running? how does it gets infected if that happens?

Is using those security apps a common practice on android phones (like it is for PC)?

OG Kush

So after about 3 months of use, my battery life is much better. How is this possible?! Battery life is great now. I remember when I first got it and battery life wasn't that good I thought this was just normal as its a high tech smartphone with a big screen.

Also why does the phone lose so batter overnight? Unless I put it in flight mode, I'll probably lose like 25% overnight. Yet the iphones only lose like 5%. Don't really get it.

Wife got the phone about 2 months ago, and now that battery takes FOREVER to charge. We leave it in overnight and the next day it's only at 60%. Seems to drain faster too. ANyone else encounter this?

Cipherr

Newbie question, since I haven't really used an Android phone, is it necessary to have an antivirus/antimalware program running? how does it gets infected if that happens?

Is using those security apps a common practice on android phones (like it is for PC)?

Security apps aren't necessary. 99% of the malware stuff you read about on smartphones come from unofficial sources. That generally means going into options, allowing outside apps to be installed, then (most commonly) downloading pirated apps.

If you are just buying your software legitimately and not torrenting or downloading hacked apps, you have nothing to worry about. The security app makers don't make you aware of that distinction because there is money to be made if you just assume you need to buy/use one of them.

Wife got the phone about 2 months ago, and now that battery takes FOREVER to charge. We leave it in overnight and the next day it's only at 60%. Seems to drain faster too. ANyone else encounter this?

That sounds like a bad battery. I had that exact thing happen to an old old old phone of mine after years and years of use.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
So after about 3 months of use, my battery life is much better. How is this possible?! Battery life is great now. I remember when I first got it and battery life wasn't that good I thought this was just normal as its a high tech smartphone with a big screen.

Also why does the phone lose so batter overnight? Unless I put it in flight mode, I'll probably lose like 25% overnight. Yet the iphones only lose like 5%. Don't really get it.
That's so weird. I lose like maybe 5% overnight? Or less. Make sure you don't have a program running in the background like the infamous Facebook app.

Ifrit

Security apps aren't necessary. 99% of the malware stuff you read about on smartphones come from unofficial sources. That generally means going into options, allowing outside apps to be installed, then (most commonly) downloading pirated apps.

If you are just buying your software legitimately and not torrenting or downloading hacked apps, you have nothing to worry about. The security app makers don't make you aware of that distinction because there is money to be made if you just assume you need to buy/use one of them.

Pretty informative, I was actually thinking that to be the case, thank you :)

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Now I've been praising this phone since I got it...until today

I was using my phone in the store taking a pic. All good.

I pull my phone out later and the phone became unresponsive. So I hold down the power button to reboot. The Samsung logo appears on my screen. Then the GS3 logo.....and that's it. I did nothing to cause this.

I tried to boot into recovery mode and the screen never comes on but I can feel it vibrate.
If I hold the buttons AFTER I power it up, the recovery mode screen shows up for a second before the screen goes off.

Download Mode is operational

That's the only thing that works.

>_>

Galaxy S Brick indeed.

Toki767

I pull my phone out later and the phone became unresponsive. So I hold down the power button to reboot. The Samsung logo appears on my screen. Then the GS3 logo.....and that's it. I did nothing to cause this.

I tried to boot into recovery mode and the screen never comes on but I can feel it vibrate.
If I hold the buttons AFTER I power it up, the recovery mode screen shows up for a second before the screen goes off.

>_>

Galaxy S Brick indeed.
If download mode works you should be able to flash something.

sounds strange. maybe you're using it less? as for battery drain, depends on background tasks.

nope. completely unnecessary. there seems to be a bunch of malware around, but a serious lack of infections.

>_>

Galaxy S Brick indeed.
the good news is it should still be covered by the manufacturer warranty.

jobber

If download mode works you should be able to flash something.

tried last night. Odin doesn't see my phone.

the good news is it should still be covered by the manufacturer warranty.

Indeed. All aboard the refurb train :|

The only thing I can think of that might have caused this is ROM Toolbox had an update yesterday morning I didn't download before this happened.

Kal

I've had this phone for about 6 months now (through 3 network in the UK). Over the last few days my phone has restarted itself around 30 times a day. It's incredibly frustrating - haven't really paid attention to this thread; is this a common issue? And how do I fix it?

Thanks.

I'm thinking of installing Facebook home and I have a couple of questions.

I've never installed a launcher, will I lose all my files installing it?
What if I want to return to stock JellyBean? Will I lose my files then?

Do I have to reinstall all my apps and lose conversations,gamesaves etc...?

With the new launcher, do I still have my notification center and menu options right?

Sorry for the questions, my GS3 is my first android.

VoxPop

I'm thinking of installing Facebook home and I have a couple of questions.

I've never installed a launcher, will I lose all my files installing it?
What if I want to return to stock JellyBean? Will I lose my files then?

Do I have to reinstall all my apps and lose conversations,gamesaves etc...?

With the new launcher, do I still have my notification center and menu options right?

Sorry for the questions, my GS3 is my first android.

No everything will stay the same. Just think of it as a homescreen skin. You can uninstall Home at anytime and go back to your normal launcher which I'm guessing would be TouchWiz.

No everything will stay the same. Just think of it as a homescreen skin. You can uninstall Home at anytime and go back to your normal launcher which I'm guessing would be TouchWiz.

Sweet, I'll installing right away. If I lose my files though, so help me God VoxPop I will find you and I will kill you.

nah, I'm kidding

Edit: Works like a charm, I love the new font.

SKINNER!

Banned
I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with this. My dad called me today saying that his 6 month old Galaxy S3 won't power on. Thinking that it needed a simple hard/factory reset, I went over, took a look at it and discovered that this the device is completely dead.

"Dad, did you charge this?" I asked.
"Yeah! It was working fine last night. I plugged it in to the mains. went to bed. Woke up and there's nothing on the screen."

Hard/factory reset; nothing. I took out the battery and put it back in; nothing. I then decided to plug it in to the mains and turn it on, the screen lit up with a static icon of a battery. The battery had an a little white circle. The second we unplug it the icon fades away. We searched through the manual and on made several google searches but nothing came up. My dad is going to take it to a Samsung service centre tomorrow since it's technically still under warranty but I am somewhat shocked to see a less than 1 year high-end phone like that in such a crippled state. I know he takes very good care of electronics as he always lectured me about carelessly leaving my expensive equipment laying around on the ground.

I'm guessing it's either a battery or some weird power fault. I hope that Samsung can sort something out for him as he really needs the phone for work. Has anyone ever come across this issue?

Socreges

Banned
Really weird problem:

When I'm using the browser (Chrome) and possibly other apps (can't remember), if I select and cut text in order to paste it elsewhere the phone almost immediately restarts. Is this at all common? Any solution?

RuGalz

Decided to check out the latest CM10.1 on VZW. First thing I noticed is now I no longer have option to switch to GSM band... Doh!

Leucrota

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with this. My dad called me today saying that his 6 month old Galaxy S3 won't power on. Thinking that it needed a simple hard/factory reset, I went over, took a look at it and discovered that this the device is completely dead.

"Dad, did you charge this?" I asked.
"Yeah! It was working fine last night. I plugged it in to the mains. went to bed. Woke up and there's nothing on the screen."

Hard/factory reset; nothing. I took out the battery and put it back in; nothing. I then decided to plug it in to the mains and turn it on, the screen lit up with a static icon of a battery. The battery had an a little white circle. The second we unplug it the icon fades away. We searched through the manual and on made several google searches but nothing came up. My dad is going to take it to a Samsung service centre tomorrow since it's technically still under warranty but I am somewhat shocked to see a less than 1 year high-end phone like that in such a crippled state. I know he takes very good care of electronics as he always lectured me about carelessly leaving my expensive equipment laying around on the ground.

I'm guessing it's either a battery or some weird power fault. I hope that Samsung can sort something out for him as he really needs the phone for work. Has anyone ever come across this issue?

Sounds like Sudden Death

SarBear

I just recently purchased this phone for my mother through walmart (scored a $9.99 white one on contract). Never been a fan of the handset design, but it is quite a nice phone at the heart of it. My mother seems to be very thrilled with it coming from a 1.5 inch display Pantech device.

Mariolee

So I just got this phone and this is actually my first smartphone ever. What are vital apps or preps I should use as a new smartphone user in general with these kinds of phones?

Spinluck

Any thoughts when the official version will be out?

Never :-(

So I just got this phone and this is actually my first smartphone ever. What are vital apps or preps I should use as a new smartphone user in general with these kinds of phones?

Youtube, Chrome, Facebook, and Twitter are all I use really.

Mobile GAF is awesome on Chrome, even when GIF are present, although if a page is GIF heavy that shit crawls.

jobber

Why isn't the Premium Suite Upgrade available to the US yet!?
Sprint version should be out in 2 weeks (right after the S4 drops)

I wonder if the price will drop any further once the S4 is out? Any rumors?

Sprint is already selling it for $50 along with T-Mo. In a couple of months they'll be giving it away for free on contract.

With the price of the S4 being $249, Sprint can go fuck themselves.

Sprint version should be out in 2 weeks (right after the S4 drops)

Sprint is already selling it for $50 along with T-Mo. In a couple of months they'll be giving it away for free on contract.

With the price of the S4 being $249, Sprint can go fuck themselves.

i still can't believe they are really going $250 for DAT GS4 on the Now Network.

Zoe

Has anybody had any problems where your clock loses its sync?

Sprint, possibly has only happened early evening.

You guys know where I can get a good, rugged case for a Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE model? I need to get one for my dad. Been looking for a solid otter box type but apparently regular s2 cases are a different size from the s2 LTE?

Edit: maybe I found one, never mind.

jobber

Has anybody had any problems where your clock loses its sync?

Sprint, possibly has only happened early evening.

nope but I did have a problem where once you leave wifi and get back on cell data, the phone refuses to download data despite having full bars.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
you should post the fix so if someone else has the problem they can find the solution.

Good call. I had my GS3 looking at 3 secured wifi spots. When i changed my settings for my GS3 to only look at one wifi access point my issue came up. My guess is Samsung never made the phone intelligent enough to pick the best wifi source and stick with that source. I had 3 sources in my area. When i killed 2 out of the 3, my phone functioned fine without switching between each wifi source.

SKINNER!

Banned

Woah, That's exactly what it was!

Well, my dad took it to a local repair centre who then sent it over to the main repair centre somewhere in England because they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it.

One week later, My dad gets a call from the local repair centre to pick up his repaired phone. No charge so that's all good. One interesting thing to point out though, Samsung HQ refused to tell my dad what the actual problem was. They were so hush hush that the main repair HQ site didn't even tell the local repair guy what the issue was after they sent it to him...apparently.

Fishy behaviour but thank goodness it was covered under the warranty.

Question for folks who have used Nexus 4 and Galaxy S3... which one is more easier to use? For a non-techy person. I know I'm asking this in the S3 thread but I wasn't sure where else to pose this question. Any advice is appreciated.

I've done some searching and aparently the Verizon Wireless version of the S3 only allows for voice calling while abroad. As in, no data or texts.

I am traveling to Spain for two months this summer and need an alternative so that I can access data on a smartphone when needed. Is there an easy way to do this?

I plan on getting the Samsung Ativ S when it's available on Sprint. It's a Windows Phone but it's practically the same hardware as the S3. I hope it holds up well.

Madness

Question for folks who have used Nexus 4 and Galaxy S3... which one is more easier to use? For a non-techy person. I know I'm asking this in the S3 thread but I wasn't sure where else to pose this question. Any advice is appreciated.

Depends on what you mean easier. The Nexus 4 runs stock Android while the GSIII has touchwiz with android.

Do you use a lot of Google apps or services? I.E. Gmail, Chrome, Google Now, etc.

The Nexus 4 is slightly more powerful because it has an upgraded processor and some prefer the IPS screen over the AMOLED, but the trade off is lack of microsd card support and removable battery, not to mention, no LTE support.

I'd say the Nexus 4 is easier to use. The apps are simple, there is no unnecessary bloatware, you get a pure android experience.

But from a usability factor, the gs3 comes out on top for me for the fact the space isn't limited, it's been a year and my battery doesn't hold a charge as well and just bought a new one, and it's as good as new again. I prefer the camera on the gs3 and coupled with a microsd card, means I don't lose precious space.

If you don't play a lot of storage heavy games, you'd be fine with a Nexus. It's very simple and easy to use.

Top Bottom