• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

jombag

So uh:

samcondsc08035.jpg

http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/14/samsung-prototype-wireless-game-pad-hands-on/#continued

I'll stick with the dual shock controller

zedge

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...ters-s-iii-and-note-ii-to-gain-support-later/

HP just put out a press release announcing a partnership with Samsung on the Galaxy S4, which will include HP's wireless printing functionality found in devices like the upcoming HP Slate 7. HP promises "no setup, tools, drivers, or network configurations to adjust," and that its solution will be one of the only to offer access to sophisticated printer settings. Like duplexing, color, orientation, and paper type. Oh yeah.

The feature will be supported by "nearly 200 HP printer models" from the inkjet and LaserJet lines. A built-in "print" button will be included in a number of Samsung apps on the S4, as well, including the email, browser, photo gallery, contacts, S Note, and Polaris Office apps.

The system will work either when both the printer and the Galaxy S4 are on the same Wi-Fi network, or by using "HP technology via wireless direct print" on select models.

The software will be coming to other Samsung devices in the future, as well, including the Note II and Galaxy S III, which Samsung just confirmed will get many of the S4's features in later updates. Hit up the full press release for more info.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/0...others-will-be-updated-with-many-s4-features/

According to PCMag (I apologize for the awful floating ads in advance), Samsung will be issuing a software update to the Galaxy S III that will incorporate many of the new Galaxy S4's features.

Nick DiCarlo, a Samsung VP, said "Anything that we can do that's not dependent on hardware like infrared, we'll definitely bring to all the flagship devices."

Crazyorloco

8 fucking cores. in a phone.

This. all over my face and pants. But really, I think dual cores phones run just fine. They're plenty zippy for me. 8 cores must be really quick.

I think it's a good upgrade for anyone into cell phone gaming. 8 cores pretty much future proofs this for awhile.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
The ZL looks great from the front but looks hideous from the back. And the Z looks sexy enough to import unlocked(although I think it's missing one of the LTE bands we use here in Canada), but I would be really hesitant to after hearing about the rumoured new Sony flagship coming out later this year.

Wish Sony would stop this multiple flagships in one year thing. That's what I like about Samsung, they have two flagships per year, but they're both very different from each other and they release them at the opposite ends of the year, so you never really feel buyers remorse if you buy one of the two.

Did you just say the One is a rip-off of the Z10 design wise? Haha

Well I think it looks like a ripoff, but whether it is or not, I don't know since I never really followed the development of either device.

giga

This. all over my face and pants. But really, I think dual cores phones run just fine. They're plenty zippy for me. 8 cores must be really quick.

I think it's a good upgrade for anyone into cell phone gaming. 8 cores pretty much future proofs this for awhile.
It's 4+4 -- only four cores will run at any given time. 4 low power cores and 4 high power cores.

TommyT

Depending on price I'll either go from my 4s to the S3 or S4, will just have to wait and see. If I could get an gently used S3 to see if I even want to up to the S4 (basically to see how well 4G is in my area) then that would be great. I'm sure there will be plenty abound. Does 1 S3/S4 work for all providers or would I have to get a specific one for Sprint?

Polari

It doesn't work like that. Basically the reason it has 8 cores is because the A15, while super powerful is also super power hungry, so the idea is to use the A7s to reduce power consumption and then switch to the A15s where doing processor intensive tasks. I don't even know if it's possible to run all eight cores simultaneously. Battery life wouldn't last long if the software you were using did though.

Cipherr

Depending on price I'll either go from my 4s to the S3 or S4, will just have to wait and see. If I could get an gently used S3 to see if I even want to up to the S4 (basically to see how well 4G is in my area) then that would be great. I'm sure there will be plenty abound. Does 1 S3/S4 work for all providers or would I have to get a specific one for Sprint?

You will need the Sprint Variant.

lemonade

It won't matter anyway, only 4 cores are used at any given time.

from what i understand, the cores can be utilized when needed, but to consume battery life it will switch to the 4 cores. if true, does the 1.9ghz variant run faster than the octo cpu when in 4 core mode. (octo variant runs at 1.6ghz)

ElyrionX

Whats the word on the battery and more importantly, the optimization of battery usage? I am currently using the S3 and the battery life on this thing is absolute ass.

nib95

Banned
Whats the word on the battery and more importantly, the optimization of battery usage? I am currently using the S3 and the battery life on this thing is absolute ass.

Switch NFC off and you'll save a tonne of battery. I have my top bar customised so I can switch on or off all the intensive stuff at a click. I.e, NFC, GPS, BT, Multi Window, S Beam etc etc.

Carton

I really hope they've improved the screen for outdoor/high ambient light visibility, as i feel it's one of the main shortcomings of the Note II/GS3.

Crazyorloco

It's 4+4 -- only four cores will run at any given time. 4 low power cores and 4 high power cores.

It doesn't work like that. Basically the reason it has 8 cores is because the A15, while super powerful is also super power hungry, so the idea is to use the A7s to reduce power consumption and then switch to the A15s where doing processor intensive tasks. I don't even know if it's possible to run all eight cores simultaneously. Battery life wouldn't last long if the software you were using did though.

ahh. Thanks Giga/Polari. It doesn't sound so impressive anymore. I'm concerned about battery life now. I wish they would focus on battery life more.

giga

from what i understand, the cores can be utilized when needed, but to consume battery life it will switch to the 4 cores. if true, does the 1.9ghz variant run faster than the octo cpu when in 4 core mode. (octo variant runs at 1.6ghz)
1.6ghz Cortex A7 (Exynos)
1.2ghz Cortex A15 (Exynos)
1.9ghz Krait (Snapdragon)

The A7 is the weakest of the three. The difference between the last two remains to be seen.

ElyrionX

Switch NFC off and you'll save a tonne of battery. I have my top bar customised so I can switch on or off all the intensive stuff at a click. I.e, NFC, GPS, BT, Multi Window, S Beam etc etc.

I've had all of that shit off since day one. I've done every single thing possible to optimize the battery usage on this thing and it's still shit.

snack

I've had all of that shit off since day one. I've done every single thing possible to optimize the battery usage on this thing and it's still shit.

I have owned both the S3 and the iPhone 5 and both have complete shit battery life. lol

El_Chino

Three reasons why i'm choosing the S4 over the HTC One:

1) Removable battery

2) MicroSD slot

3) Better software support

Fezan

Don't worry most Samsung gimmick features are meant to be turned off and battery will get better.

Eye scrolling will drain battery a lot faster if it uses front camera which has to be on continuously

inm8num2

I'm happy with the S3. Plus on Verizon my next phone will have to be an old used one lest I wish to lose unlimited data. Fuckers.

sant

Because its superior, and always has been. Many of the really eaaaaaaaaaaaarly Android phones had them on the bottom. Seemingly when Apple switched, they all swapped back to the top.

Bottom is superior.

My Nexus S has it at the bottom.

spwolf

Wish Sony would stop this multiple flagships in one year thing. That's what I like about Samsung, they have two flagships per year, but they're both very different from each other and they release them at the opposite ends of the year, so you never really feel buyers remorse if you buy one of the two.

why? I dont think Sony has a rule set. They just released 2 months before samsung so they will probably release next one sooner as well. Doesnt take anything from XZ though, I dont think it will be "outdated" anytime soon (nor will S4 for that matter)

I have SGSII and its fine phone, i got it for free on tiny contract (overall value through the roof) but I couldnt justify full price for SGS 4 due to its being all plastic. Too much moneyzs for cheap shell, white XZ looks incredible compared to it.

Carton

Don't worry most Samsung gimmick features are meant to be turned off and battery will get better.

Eye scrolling will drain battery a lot faster if it uses front camera which has to be on continuously

I use smart stay on the Note II and the screen time for it is still rock solid; i guess it'd be interesting to make a comparison with it on or off, but i can't see it improving drastically given its already excellent performance. Shame about the 2% drain/hour whilst idling since the 4.1.2 update though (and that is with nearly every other samsung s software disabled or off).

Top Bottom