• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S4 (new flagship Android phone from Samsung)

Jofamo

There is GIF gold waiting to be mined from that launch show. Right when the kid is tap dancing and smiling like a demon from hell, it cuts to the "dad" scratching his head in utter disbelief at what he's watching. Much like I was. It's right near the end of his dance.

Any takers?

Haint

Not to shit on this phone, but why would anyone want it over the HTC One?

4.7" screen is going to drag the One down, very bad decision not maintaining 5" parity. That kind of size increase doesn't effect utility at all, it's just a nice bonus that will make the One look like a last-gen device.

RdN

It looks like a smaller Note II.

As a Note II owner, the hardware itself does not excite me. As is, nothing pushes my Note II to the limit.

I am, however, looking forward to receiving all the software upgrades.

vivftp

The ZL looks great from the front but looks hideous from the back. And the Z looks sexy enough to import unlocked(although I think it's missing one of the LTE bands we use here in Canada), but I would be really hesitant to after hearing about the rumoured new Sony flagship coming out later this year.

Wish Sony would stop this multiple flagships in one year thing. That's what I like about Samsung, they have two flagships per year, but they're both very different from each other and they release them at the opposite ends of the year, so you never really feel buyers remorse if you buy one of the two.

The Z and ZL aren't really meant to be pushed too strongly in North America, even though they will be present. It seems that Sony's trying to gain more leverage with North American carriers so that they don't dick around with their phones anymore and Sony can have proper control over everything.

From what we can gather, the 2H phones will be the ones that'll be pushed a lot more in North America, so I can't wait for that. Even still, I'm in Canada and I plan to get the ZL next month. I might flip it for one of the 2H phones, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

As for the multiple flagships per year route, supposedly starting in 2014, they will be moving to a single flagship for the year sort of model.

RdN

Samsung's death will be caused by the three p's....pixelation, pentile, and plastic :(

People already proved that they don't care about plastic body. On the contrary, there's lots of people that prefer the plastic.

Pixelation and Pentile will be non-issues on a 1080p, 400+ppi.

adelante

I've had all of that shit off since day one. I've done every single thing possible to optimize the battery usage on this thing and it's still shit.
I feel for you man... I own a Note 2 myself but I've two friends who bought an S3 LTE last year and have since found carrying a portable charger a necessity. Which is why I was kinda pleased to hear about the power-saving features in the new cpu and the increased battery capacity. Hope these lead to an improved battery life. Reviews can't come quick enough
People already proved that they don't care about plastic body. On the contrary, there's lots of people that prefer the plastic.

Pixelation and Pentile will be non-issues on a 1080p, 400+ppi.

Yeah I prefer plastic if it means having a removable battery.

KorrZ

Looks interesting, but I'd be shocked if the battery life on this thing managed to not be shitty.

In any case, not enough to move away from the Nexus 4. I thought the S3 was ugly so not redesigning is disappointing.

This will be an amazing upgrade from my Exhibit II. Fuck that piece of shit cunt-ass bitch. I must say, though, that getting used to a big phone will be odd. I'm shocked it's smaller than the S III.

Mudkips

Banned
Wait why is scoble ranting on google+ that the samsung presentation was extremely sexist. I didnt watch it what happened

What happened was a ridiculous mock play and a handful of people on the internet expressing faux outrage over it being sexist when the word they're looking for is "stereotypical".

Cat Party

Phone looks great. The subtle design changes make it look very sleek. The screen, though. Mmmmmmm. So much real estate, so crisp, without being comically large. The software looks interesting, and some of it seems actually useful. The photo software should be pretty fun to mess around with.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What an underwhelming reveal.

4.7" screen is going to drag the One down, very bad decision not maintaining 5" parity. That kind of size increase doesn't effect utility at all, it's just a nice bonus that will make the One look like a last-gen device.

The ZL is going to be 4.7 and the iPhones arent going to 5 anytime soon. Looking like last gen is not an issue it's going to have. It's name alone is going to be its only issue.

I can't believe the S4 is actually smaller than the S3. Bodes well for the 6" note 3

The ZL is going to be 4.7 and the iPhones arent going to 5 anytime soon. Looking like last gen is not an issue it's going to have. It's name alone is going to be its only issue.
The ZL also isn't going to sell well lol

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Got to play with it a bit in Times Square, it's kinda weird looking. I prefer the look of my S3 in general.

Brofist

I may want one although I still have my eyes on the Xperia Z for the waterproof.

Decisions, decisions.

Waterproof would be like #1039 on my list of determining factors when choosing a phone. Do you go diving with it or something?

BobLoblaw

Banned
Looks like this is the phone I'll be upgrading to from my three-year old Motorola Cliq XT. I'm finally going to be joining the rest of the civilized world!

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Looks like this is the phone I'll be upgrading to from my three-year old Motorola Cliq XT. I'm finally going to be joining the rest of the civilized world!

I wish I could re-experience going from regular phone to a smart phone. My journey was from a Razr to a Blackberry 8300 to a Samsung Captivate. I was not prepared for the awesomeness of that phone. Now I have a Note 1 and will be getting the Note 3.

foodtaster said:
The ZL also isn't going to sell well lol

Which is a shame again. I hate the idea of a constant two phone race between iPhone and Galaxy. We need higher sales in the other guys to push change and improvements over the typical spec bump. The fact that the S4 offers practically nothing in a design change from the S3 really disappointed me. The only reason the iPhone 5 got a bigger screen was due to competition. Imagine having a 3.5" screen still in all phones? Urgh.

Edit: quoted wrong person

Loofy

Waterproof would be like #1039 on my list of determining factors when choosing a phone. Do you go diving with it or something?
People arent gonna go snorkling with their phone. Its for when its near water and you dont have to be so careful. Checking your phone while in the hot tub, bubble bath, pool, boating, rafting, when its raining, or you can take a shower with it as sony showed.

I wanted to buy a waterproof case for my S3, but its $80 and looks ugly as hell.

nib95

Banned
Which is a shame again. I hate the idea of a constant two phone race between iPhone and Galaxy. We need higher sales in the other guys to push change and improvements over the typical spec bump. The fact that the S4 offers practically nothing in a design change from the S3 really disappointed me. The only reason the iPhone 5 got a bigger screen was due to competition. Imagine having a 3.5" screen still in all phones? Urgh.

Whilst I agree the similarity in design to the S3 is slightly disappointing, I think we still need to give kudo's where they're due. This is a no frills design, but it's an impressively state of the art one the less. In terms of size, slimness and weight, it seems to be far more efficient than any other super phone on the market. Still surprised the bezel is as low profile and slim as it is. The phone is almost mostly screen. The ZL comes close, then again it still looks quite boxy and is missing the removable battery, which I'd imagine is a big reason why the S4/S3 go with that more simplistic polycarbonate back cover.

Not impressed. Just a bunch of add on software I would never use.

All I really would have wanted is an S3 with stock Android, larger battery, 1080p screen, and more horsepower. Did not want more bloatware.

Edit: Why not just go quadcore with a big battery? There is NO point to octocore in the consumer market place besides tech pissing contests, whereas having a large battery would be noticeable to anyone who buys the handset.

you don't understand how the cores are set up. know how Nvidia has 4+1? this is 4+4.

Op is not facelessmaster? Wtf is going on here? Lol

i only do BEST GALAXY threads. see me after Episode II

Micro SD and battery are possibly the only advantages to me (I'll admit these make or break a phone to some) but...
Camera may or may not be better.
One is coming to Verizon, T-Mo, and AT&T.
5 inches may be too big for some (that's what she said)
Sense vs Touchwiz is debatable.
One has a smaller screen, but it's is a bigger phone.

Camera on the One is already taking Ls in everything except low light. One is coming to AT&T, Sprint & T-Mobile. Verizon is not confirmed yet, a device is rumored, but it could be a redesign. maybe no BOOMSOUND on the Droid One!?

It's a nice phone, but there's zero need for me to upgrade from S3.

It's pretty clear that upgrade paths for original S1 owners should most logically be every odd revision, whereas S2 owners should be every even revision.

In terms of technological jumps, S1 to S3 > S2 to S4, but they're pretty damn close in my opinion.

pretty much. i told peeps with a Note 1 to wait for Note 3. Note 2 is really nice, but you don't need to jump ship that fast!

Embarrassing that the HTC One is larger than the S4, but has a smaller screen and a smaller battery.

Absolutely ridiculous.
Beats by Dre(TM)

yeah that size is just questionable. Are the speakers that big.
BOOMSOUND!!!

Whatya think guys? Is the S4 a big enough upgrade compared to my:

32716515-2-440-OVR-1.gif

Although mine doesn't look that good with faded buttons and scratches and all.

real talk. you've seen that 'my mind is full of fuck' meme? that will be you for a week. maybe two. at the end of that period you will feel like you transcended the laws of physics, like you hit super saiyajin for the first time.

S Sword. you heard it here first.

I believe the S4 is 7.7mm in depth. So this is inaccurate.

On the HTC One vs S4 thing, just sounds like the One X vs S3 all over. Samsung with the better software, software support, specs and flexibility, HTC with the better build quality and design.
the 7.7mm was from the leaked specs, it's 7.9mm on official specs.

iVerge with more FUD. calling the phone bigger to scare people when it's actually smaller.

Fact is, you're never going to see a really nice phone design that has a removable battery. I want a removable battery. It's good to have.

Whilst I agree the similarity in design to the S3 is slightly disappointing, I think we still need to give kudo's where they're due. This is a no frills design, but it's an impressively state of the art one the less. In terms of size, slimness and weight, it seems to be far more efficient than any other super phone on the market. Still surprised the bezel is as low profile and slim as it is. The phone is almost mostly screen. The ZL comes close, then again it still looks quite boxy and is missing the removable battery, which I'd imagine is a big reason why the S4/S3 go with that more simplistic polycarbonate back cover.

I'll tell you this now, it's going to make my job of selling it that much harder when put alongside the S3 but with a higher price. Most customers won't care about a higher processor or better GPU. They'll barely notice the screen size difference and some of those software gimmicks won't be enough.

$150 price difference is huge for most people. I'm not saying it won't sell. It's going to sell bucketloads, but they made it harder to tell the difference.

Brofist

...but does this phone have a removable battery? If it does, it might be my next phone after this Droid 4.

Yes, removable

is there gonna be like a mini version? i love my regular s3, but my girl wants a smaller version s4 i dunno if they have such a thing

Well it's smaller than the S3 by a bit. But why even bother with this phone if you want a smaller device. It's part of what makes it a Galaxy. It's like going to an electronics shop and asking for a 50" plasma TV, but in a smaller size. It's not the same product anymore.

nib95

Banned
I'll tell you this now, it's going to make my job of selling it that much harder when put alongside the S3 but with a higher price. Most customers won't care about a higher processor or better GPU. They'll barely notice the screen size difference and some of those software gimmicks won't be enough.

$150 price difference is huge for most people. I'm not saying it won't sell. It's going to sell bucketloads, but they made it harder to tell the difference.

Possibly, or they made it easier as those who have been privy to S3 marketing and design identity will find it easier to associate with or transition to the S4. I think the screen, screen size, weight, slimness and new software features (dual camera video recording, camera, 100 shot action mode, background remove, air view, built in voice recognition translator etc) will make for an easier sell than you probably assume.

See iPhone's and how easy the smallest of gimmicks are easy to sell.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Welp that's a galaxy alright I already have one of those in my pocket.

Underwhelming....

dokish

Banned
Not trading my S3 anytime soon. Maybe next year I'll pick up the Note 3/4.

What are good apps for rooted phones? The 'battery saving' ones seems to just draw much more battery than the regular phone...

Top Bottom