• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung shows why Scan Velocity Modulation (SVM) is bad...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
http://www.samsungusa.com/dtvguide/module_3_16.html

I do not think this was their intent, but play with the animation: I much rather have the image without the extra outlines, thank you very much.

At least for movies.

How do you feel about SVM and games ?

Playing games with Xbox (with Component cables) and PlayStation 2 (S-Video) is fine for new games with very good graphics: the problem is usually for older games which relied on heavvy dithering for things like fog.

I have noticed that in Dynamic mode some movies were so sharp they looked shitty and grainy (which is a sign of the TV and PlayStation 2 trying to sharpen the image way too much).

Movie mode looks fine if the source is detailed enough: if the source is blurry, Movie mode will be hardly watchable.

Will SVM turned off be bad for gaming ?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Turn it off and you technically have truer representation of actual video output from console/device producing the video. I wouldn't say turning it off is a bad thing in that sense, but that doesn't change the fact that some may prefer the effect on the image with it on. I don't.

VSM is only found on direct–view TVs with CRTs. You will not find VSM on LCD or plasma flat–panel TVs, nor will you see it on rear–projection TVs using DLP imaging technology.
Even If LCD/DLP displays and the like don't have VSM, they still provide sharpness via edge enhancement. They just do it by alternate, digital means, right?

Teddman

VLM isn't all bad. Turn it on the "low" setting for Sony sets and it sometimes improves the appearence of 2D games a bit. The SNES running through s-video sometimes looks better that way, unmodified the image can look a tad blurry.

I hate it!!!!!! If a television has it, doesn't have an option in the menu (Like some), or can't be easily turned off in a service mode, I move on. It's why my last purchase wasn't from my loved Toshiba.

mr2mike

Banned
I have a small Prima set I use to play games out of the home, I think it has a dynamic VSM like that, it's very obvious tha the TV is always adjusting itself to the brightness and content of the image, especially in videogames with a lot of brightness changes, where the processor takes a quarter of a second to adjust and you can tell the unVSM'ed image apart in that short moment...

That led me to think VSM (at least the implementation on this cheap set) is very bad for game, but damn does it look good for casual TV viewing.

That samsung animation kind of doesn't work very well... I mean, a solid colored figure on a solid colored background, on wich is just applied a white outline... kind of a bit too obvious no?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I do not want to fuck things up in Service Mode: anyone witha Samsung HDTV here know where the options are regarding SVM ?

I am thinking Video Adjust 2 --> VM Level, VM Coring, VM f0, VM Limit and VM Delay, but I am not sure.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Have you tried the HT buffs over at avsforums.com? They are a much better resource for this type of thing.

Teddman

That's too bad if Samsung doesn't allow you to easily turn off or adjust levels of scan modulation through a user-end menu.

Sony flatscreens are great with it; with two levels and the option to leave it off, it's easy to tell if it improves or degrades the images on any particular game.

That SVM demo they have at that url is extremely simplified, btw. It makes scan mod look like nothing more than a white outline option. At least with Sony sets, it's better than that...

Laurent

“VSM is only found on direct–view TVs with CRTs. You will not find VSM on LCD or plasma flat–panel TVs, nor will you see it on rear–projection TVs using DLP imaging technology.”

Why looking at that on a computer monitor?!

Shompola

Banned
"Will SVM turned off be bad for gaming ?"

No. "hardcore" video philes have allways recommended to turn it off if possible.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Ok, now DVDs look much better.

A biiig, biiiiiiiiig red flag was watching the Superbit edition of Spider-man and think "wtf has happened ? Where i all that grain coming from ?"... I was disappointed with the picture quality and I could only bear to watch it in Movie mode.

Shompola

Banned
what sucks so much about my tv is that I conly can turn SVM off temporarily. It can't save the setting unless I solder something wich I won't do.

I have a 27" Samsung for a year. I was disappointed with it initially until I figured out how to turn the SVM off in the Service Menu. I think I check AVS and HometheaterSpot for info on it.

My 51" has SVM in the menu. Apparently if I choose Film mode SVM is automatically off.

davis

It really depends on the TV and the source you will get different results. My tv has 3 VM options in the menu (besides off)I usually leave it on low or off but it defintely will improve somethings on my set like hockey games not in HD the pucks becomes easier to see, quite a few games will benefit from it some do look worse too. We had another set that had it and nothiing looked good with it on though.

Unfortunately the VSM on my 27" Samsung can't be shut off. There's no option in the regular menu and the option in the service menu does nothing. It still remains on whether you turn it off or not.

I think there's probably some VSM daughter card I need to unplug from the circuit board but I'd rather not venture inside the TV. :(

I'm not really motivated to do it anyway. I think the picture quality is great so it doesn't really bother me.

Top Bottom